• Please log in to reply
873 replies to this topic

#41 Brekk

Brekk

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:51 AM

This is not so much a performance issue in the software but there is still an ongoing ISP issue for many Comcast users. Blizz is collecting "tracert"s from people but has yet to figure out a solution/cause for the problem.

If you're experiencing performance problems and you have Comcast this may be part of the problem.

#42 Tymir

Tymir

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

Disable SuperFetch.

In the event that Windows Vista is approaching maximum memory usage it will assume that cached memory is the same as unused memory, for this reason you will see very little (if any at all) performance decrease from SuperFetch in minimal available memory scenarios.

However, in the event that you have more RAM than WoW + OS can use, Superfetch will cache useful data that you will probably need in the future. Although Microsoft hasn't divulged too much in depth technical detail about Superfetch I believe it can also cache memory outside of a processes' maximum addressable range. This means that even though WoW as a 32-bit process can only address 2GB of RAM (under Windows) Superfetch will cache additional data to memory separate from the 32-bit limit, thus increasing performance in situations where you are pushing the 2GB limit. On my core i7 pushed to 4.1ghz + 4870x2 @ 800mhz core and 1000mhz memory you can feel the addressable memory limit easily when you push all settings to max, turning around results in a large fps drop for a small period of time while new data loads to memory, this is mitigated but not eliminated by turning on SuperFetch.

One solution which I am surprised Blizzard has not yet implemented is setting IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the image header of Wow.exe. What this does is increase the maximum addressable memory of WoW to 4GB, since the actual 32-bit limit is 2^32 = 4294967296 bits = 4GB. The 2GB limit is just imposed by windows in order to reserve some memory for the OS. It should be noted that in XP you must also set /3g in your boot.ini in order to take advantage of this, and you will only get around 3-3.1GB max for a single process, as the OS actually DOES need some portion of that 4GB. The painful part about this would-be amazing performance increase is that it would require manually recompiling your wow.exe, which while easily doable is against the ToS and will be immediately detectable by Blizzard due to the different MD5 checksum your WoW.exe will have, thus not even allowing you to get past the log in screen.

I made a thread about LargeAddressAware in the technical forums but haven't gotten a response yet, maybe someone can help out, I can't really bump it at the right time since Datth is at work the same time I am. Technical Forums
Suggestion Forums

#43 Volrath50

Volrath50

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:30 AM

From my experience, it's primarily DK spells that appear to cause graphics lag. Death and Decay has always been fine for me, my a single path of frost can drop my 80FPS down to 7FPS. I'm willing to bet this is primarily due to lack of optimisation in the new spell effects. Hopefully, in upcoming patches, stuff like this will be optimised. As it is, I feel like screaming at anyone who uses path of frost in BGs, no matter how useful, because of how frustrating and silly it is to be dropped down to 7 FPS because of some silly ice.

As a note, Death and Decay, even talented, has never caused me any problems, but I'm using a Mac. Macbook Pro 17" with a GeForce 8600 and 4GBs of ram. Perhaps they have the DnD optimisations in the Mac version. Path of Frost, on the other hand, makes me want to kick a puppy.
"As surely as I live forever, when I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgement, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me."

#44 Kalle

Kalle

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

Have you enabled hiding of lua errors in the interface options? If you have, you can try disabling it and if you get error messages disable the addon that produces them (or look for a fixed version).

#45 Kewangeder

Kewangeder

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

On rare occasions, particularly after having the client up for several hours, it stops rendering the ground completely. I get shrubs, trees, and other doodads, but no ground, and the FPS also drops to about 1.0. A restart of the client reliably fixes this. I was also able to fix it by setting shadow rendering to one less than maximum. (I normally play with max graphics settings minus full-screen glow and I think anti-aliasing.) My computer is a Dell, running Vista, ATI Radeon something, less than a year old, WoW in windowed mode. Apologies for the incomplete information, but maybe that will help some people if they have this particular problem.

Meanwhile, I seem to be getting FPS issues not yet mentioned in this thread. Namely, FPS for me drops considerably when I look in certain directions. I've noticed this when looking toward Naxxramas from the Wintergarde graveyard, as well as in selected locations in Icecrown and Zul'Drak. FPS goes from about 30 to about 1-2. I've fixed this problem easily enough by simply "not moving my arm like that", but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this.

(And of course, Dalaran poses similar problems, but my only hope there is probably to pay everyone to transfer off Gilneas.)

#46 Bellise

Bellise

High Priestess of Elune

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

I have noticed around 5-10 fps increase on latest beta build of Windows 7 - build 7000.
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

#47 exog

exog

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Oldie but goodie: Start windows media player before starting Wow!

Yesterday I did multiple things mentioned in this thread, and stuff seemed faster.

#48 Dappa

Dappa

Hardcore Orc

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

I'm having similar issues with low fps in WoW. I get about 20 fps in Dalaran with all settings set to minimum. I've got 2GB PC6400, E6600 Core 2 Duo and a 8800GTX running @ 1920x1200 (fps doesn't improve if I resize the window to smaller proportions). Shouldn't that kind of setup perform better than 20 fps?

I've heard that memory issues can have a pretty negative impact on fps, and when I ran 'Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool' it did indeed find some problems. Can't afford to replace the RAM at the moment, so I can't say for sure if that's my problem.

#49 Emth.

Emth.

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

That being said, the "effects" tab of your video options can remove most of them (probably not all). The biggest culprit is the new shadow quality setting. Changing this from highest to lowest will double the fps of most computers.

I can vouch for this. My FPS still isn't amazing, but I was having utterly dismal frame rates before I made this change. Changing any other settings made virtually no difference atall (including changing view distance from maximum to minimum. I think Blizzard have some significant problems with their shadow rendering. Anything other than the minimum setting destroys my fps.

#50 KrookDale

KrookDale

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

I've been noticing the media player improvement too, basically when opening Media Player, I notice a 10 fps increase, I am however unsure if this improvement is permanent however, it seems to me that the fps drops towards it's normal value after some time. Anybody else noticed this, and potentially did some research on it?

#51 exog

exog

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Well opening media player before playing has been a trick since at least the CS-days so id be surprised if there aren't a zillion articles about it.

About the shadows, this issue seems to occur in every game, whatever you do don't enable any kind of detailed shadows. Same was in AOC.

#52 ZeroWashu

ZeroWashu

Banned

• Banned
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:23 PM

I've been noticing the media player improvement too, basically when opening Media Player, I notice a 10 fps increase, I am however unsure if this improvement is permanent however, it seems to me that the fps drops towards it's normal value after some time. Anybody else noticed this, and potentially did some research on it?

Well it was easy to gather some relevant articles using google. This effect was seen with the 2.3 version of the client

First up, a wow insider article with links to threads on WOW boards.

Media Player boosts WoW performance - WoW Insider

A Blizzard started thread on performance issues with 3.xx clients with recent updates and some interesting suggestions for Vista users in regards to sound processing on page 2. Also note, a blizzard provided client configuration for lower end computers on page 2.

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> _____User tips and tricks

#53 Frah

Frah

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

For the last several weeks, our players have been experiencing periodic latency in both outdoor Northrend areas and Naxxramas, and we wanted to provide you with several updates on what we're doing to resolve these issues. As many players have discovered, the outdoor Northrend latency has been tied to activity in Wintergrasp. We are actively working on a server-side fix that should address the high latency experienced in the outdoor world when Wintergrasp is active. This fix is currently in testing on internal test realms and we anticipate that we'll be able to push it to live realms in the near future. Concerning Naxxramas, optimizations are being made that will address both the latency and disconnection issues affecting players while in that zone. These optimizations will be included with the next minor content patch.

We appreciate your patience as we work to address these issues.

link

Finally things might be looking up after the past month or 2 of hell.

#54 Quigon

Quigon

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

Most of the obvious answers are already posted - namely drivers, memory, and settings.

However, I don't believe this has been mentioned but the size of your primary drive makes me wonder if you could be having a thrashing issue or just a free space swapping issue. Especially as you mentioned that you're running the combatlog for the guild (which would peak during bosses), and Windows Vista - which is really a hard drive predator.

GearKnight already mentioned that you should disable SuperFetching, and that it worked for him. Someone claimed in a reply that vista will compensate when stealing ram and hitting the wall by going to cached memory, which it will but, this might actually be dramatically exasperating your problem if your HDD space is low. Believe it or not, despite all the counter press - Windows Vista does indeed have some features that CAN slow down systems... and will slow down older ones. Its not a terrible OS, but it can fight you at times.
I'd kill Superfetching, drive indexing, and make sure you have no more than 75-85% of your drive being used. Which means if its reporting more than 50 Gigs used, you're going to have potential issues here. (HDD being too full is way more likely to be a problem than Superfetching or drive indexing tbh). If it were me, I'd also disable system restore and set the recylce bin to delete files immediately. You don't have a lot of space to work with, and Vista does seem to be happier with more space as much as it likes more ram.

All that being said, usually hdd slowdown is less fluid in nature. But I've also seen it lead to generic framerate loss with drives over 90% full. Especially when compounded with a lack of ram, or heavy ram usage.

Oh, and turn off Aero.

#55 Prinsesa

Prinsesa

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

For those of us who like a little music to go with their WoW, is there a recommended media player that's as light as possible to minimize impact on system performance? I've always used WinAmp "just because", but I realize that that's really no reason at all.

Apologies if this is a little off-topic, though I know there's a lot of players out there who WoW with headphones blasting.
"We do want Sanctuary to be the tanking seal"

- Ghostcrawler

#56 Nerevarine

Nerevarine

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

you may use foobar, or if you just like listening to streams while playing vlc worked good for me :)
~nothing to see here~

#57 Bullshot

Bullshot

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

foobar2000 has always been a favourite of the memory-conscious user.

#58 Lilija

Lilija

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationCzęstochowa POLAND

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:55 AM

I've been doing most of things mentioned in this thread since a long time now each time I encountered low fps (disabling addons like quest helper and auctioneer, turning off everything that I can running in background). Still will try running full screen mode however it wonders me a bit since when I started using windowed mode in TBC it kinda improved the performance. Also, I am considering turning off the sound.

I am wondering about one more thing tho. The thing that I find the most annoying about my game's performance is the random freezes I encounter when I crit or have some proc - I have been thinking it might be connected to my scrolling combat text addon (MSBT) ... however I am not so sure of that this is the main issue and because my dps is kinda proc based it will be rather hard to run without any proc notification. Therefor I would appreciate any comment on this issue and maybe some advise on some other addon of this type with better performance. Also, while reading this topic I got an idea that maybe it is combat log related rather than this particular addon.

Last thing I would like to mention is that during longer, heavy AoE raids I often need to restard my game to come back to normal performance. Would really prefer to avoid it since reloging on my server during raid time might end up in not coming back. Can it be something more than recount?

#59 Parbag

Parbag

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

...I am wondering about one more thing tho. The thing that I find the most annoying about my game's performance is the random freezes I encounter when I crit or have some proc - I have been thinking it might be connected to my scrolling combat text addon (MSBT) ... however I am not so sure of that this is the main issue and because my dps is kinda proc based it will be rather hard to run without any proc notification. Therefor I would appreciate any comment on this issue and maybe some advise on some other addon of this type with better performance. Also, while reading this topic I got an idea that maybe it is combat log related rather than this particular addon...

NVIDIA? Try the new 181.20 drivers. They seem to reduce the micro stuttering some people have.

#60 Korhaug

Korhaug

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

NVIDIA? Try the new 181.20 drivers. They seem to reduce the micro stuttering some people have.

I installed them the day they came out, and they did not solve this issue for me.

Purely anecdotal data is anecdotal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users