• Please log in to reply
873 replies to this topic

#861 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

This may not be directly performance related, but it's similar enough I guess.

Patch 4.3.3 has brought some changes to the sound engine in WoW.
The most obvious is that sound replacements now have to be in OGG format exclusively, WAV files aren't considered as valid anymore [source]. This means that a lot of sound replacement addons might not work anymore out of the box.

The second, more subtle change is that the sound files now actually need a content. In the previous versions of my Muted Sounds Addon, I was using literally empty OGG files to replace the sound. They were valid OGG files (i.e. not zero-byte) but contained no sound whatsoever. This worked fine until the patch hit, but after that I had multiple sound dropouts (boss emotes, addon sounds, etc) that didn't happen before.
After some trial and error it turned out that I needed to insert 1ms of silence to make the sound files work again correctly.

To summarize:
  • You now need (only) valid OGG files to replace sounds.
  • .wav files simply renamed to .ogg will not work.
  • Neither will files with a length of 0 (empty dummy files, e.g. an empty .txt file renamed to .ogg).
  • These valid OGG files require an actual content. 1ms will do.

This may not be a problem when you only want to replace a few files, but at least for a large number of files (24,500 for my addon) it definitely is.

Also, if anyone could inform the poor blokes in the US forum about this, they haven't seem to found the answer yet, and I cannot post in the US forums.

Stopped Playing

#862 vendettas

vendettas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

Hey everyone. I played WoW for about a year a while back, and just got back into the game recently. After re-installing and all the boring stuff, I started playing and immediately my video card began acting up. I can't go more than 5 minutes without the screen locking up, going black, then coming back with the error message "your video driver has recovered from an error". I never had this problem before when I played.

I'm currently running:

HP Envy 17 with Win7 Premium
Intel Core i7 720
8 GB of DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850

I always play with graphics on their lowest settings. I've made sure that my drivers are updated, and have even tried to reformat without any luck. Any suggestions?

#863 Szynszyla

Szynszyla

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Quite few possibilities.

In general, it happens when card overheats on ATI cards.
Try to change Anti-aliasing and Anizo settings in CCC, sometimes helps.

Theoretically might be ram memory leak, GPU memory leak or in worst case dying GPU die.

#864 vendettas

vendettas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Quite few possibilities.

In general, it happens when card overheats on ATI cards.
Try to change Anti-aliasing and Anizo settings in CCC, sometimes helps.

Theoretically might be ram memory leak, GPU memory leak or in worst case dying GPU die.

I've read up about the issue alot, and many people seem to think it's a RAM memory leak/overheat problem. I however do not know how to correct such a problem.

I've already tried playing around with the settings in CCC without any luck too.

#865 EasirokThunderpants

EasirokThunderpants

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

I hope I am not being too presumptuous, but have you taken it apart and cleaned all of the vents and surfaces really well with compressed air? Also, have you verified that the fans are running properly?

ATI GPU chips tend to run hot, and tend to be very sensitive to air circulation issues.

You should be able to use a tool like HWiNFO64 (or HWiNFO32) to monitor your GPU temp and fan speed (use the "Sensors" feature) to see if high temperatures are really the source of your problems.

#866 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

ATI GPU chips tend to run hot, and tend to be very sensitive to air circulation issues.

The HD 5850 is one of the cooler running GPUs currently still available, though I'm not sure about the mobile version.

And as you do use the mobile version, I assume you also use a laptop to run the game. I've had similar problems with my laptop, though not for WoW but mainly in first person shooters. The general cooling solution simply wasn't completely thought through, and the accumulated heat from both the CPU and the GPU simply was too much for the tiny fans to handle.

You should absolutely keep an eye on the temperatures of both your CPU and GPU while you're playing the game. For the CPU there are tools like RealTemp, and for the GPU I like to use GPU-Z for such monitoring issues (since it also features logging).

Stopped Playing

#867 fateswarm

fateswarm

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

This is simple but it may prove very important to anyone that had it slip their mind and they are dealing with temperature issues. It might be also useful to anyone that does not have any actual problems but wants to prolong the lifetime of their machine by running it cooler in general: This game as most games is governed largely by the same global loop that governs FPS on the screen. Yes, there appears to be partially some multi-threading but it appears it is nowhere near the impact the global loop of frames inflicts. Hence, if one wants to lower CPU time, they can simply lower the FPS. Probably the most elegant way to use it is to use vertical sync (if that is lower than the usual FPS). Vertical sync will inflict some extra visual latency, which is mainly regarded bad in first person shooters or even any other game partially, but since one may lose some of the visual latency advantages, they might as well vsync for smoother rendering, which can be easily observed on sudden camera changes, especially on low frequency displays.

#868 Voxxel

Voxxel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hello!

I'm going to replace my CPU. In according to WoW performance should I go for

Athlon II X2 270 - 3400 MHz, 2x1MB L2 chache, Bus speed: 553 MHz
or
Phenom II X2 555 - 3200 MHz, 2x512 L2 cache, 6MB L3 cache, Bus speed: 667 Mhz

I can't decide between those because the Phenom one seems better overall but it has lower core clock frequency (which (the core freq.) as you say mostly vital for WoW). Thanks for any suggestion.

#869 fateswarm

fateswarm

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

I did a domain search for this information and nothing came up. It is very mildly related to this thread and it might not deserve its own thread or a thread resurrection. Please feel free to delete it or move it if it's deemed necessary.

What basically happens is that in the latest version of the battle.net forum, an ID number related to the ignore functionality in the source code of a page is the same across all posts of all characters of an account. This means one can manually look up alts and find out who their mains are by comparing threads posts. There are also addons that claim to do it automatically here.

I find this information very important for the WoW community for a reason one might not think at first: Yes it might stop excessive "trolling" but the most important effect of it is that there is no anonymity for people that want to keep it, unless they only post with alts. There are cases - for example when one is seeking guild leadership advice - one may want to keep civility with anonymity without having sinister objectives, and this information should be important for them.

#870 Atalex

Atalex

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'd love to post something helpful to others, but the fact is, I'm here to ask for input.

In short, I'm sick of feeling like I'm swimming through molasses when I fight Deathwing. I can barely get Hleap to go off, let alone in the right location... LET ALONE fast enough to get in on the aoe damage to make some big numbers. I'm slow, I'm late, I fall off cliffs, and I'm not going to be worth a raid spot for next progression unless !@#$ changes.

I want more than to be able to click my buttons and actually see responsiveness, I want to fraps and stream and maybe make some hot kill videos for my guild.

I've tried a lot of the usual tricks, disabling addons, background programs, lowering graphics, increasing performance seettings, and upgrading my internet speed, but the problem is not resolved. What do I need?

Here's what I have:

HPE 500y
mobo: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
CPU: AMD Phenom 2 X6 1045t
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 series
8G RAM DDR3-1333
2 mechanical HD's: 1.3T and 13G
Windows 7 64 bit

I uninstalled all antivirus software.

ANY advice would be appreciated. I can afford better parts, which I am sure is needed, but what?

#871 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Pretty standard advice, I know, but update your CPU.

I haven't used an AMD in years, so I can't give you any advice on that. I can only tell from my personal experiance, which is that I can fraps and raid just fine on my overclocked Intel 2500k @4.0 in 1920x1080. My other specs are quite similar to yours (OS, RAM, graphics cards).

Tom's Hardware did a checkup on the release of Cataclysm, which showed Intel CPUs to be generally performing better than AMD. That may have changed of course, but maybe that review contains other information also helpful to you.

Stopped Playing

#872 Voxxel

Voxxel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thank you much, sp00n! I'll see to change to Intel then.

#873 Mimic751

Mimic751

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Not sure if this is know, but I was having issues reloading ui in an LFR when I had active graphs from recount up. once I disabled the graphs I had no issues

#874 Metaphor

Metaphor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

here's what i've : 

Gigabyte board : H87M-D3H

Cpu : Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM : Corsair vengeance 8gb ddr3-1333

Video Card : Zotac GTx760 AMP / 2gb 256bit GDRR-5

Coolermaster Computer case with 3 extra fans inside on it and also using Kingston SSD  harddisk for gaming.

AT ULTRA CONFIG : 

my overall fps at encounters are 85-100 fps

during hanging out at open world and other stuffs : 125 - 140 fps 

I only select LOW @ Shadows. 

Other stuffs are HIGH

and Environment ULTRA 

I'm highly recommended you this setup. I dont have any problem at game or other situations like cpu , videocard temperature , stucking ..bla bla

Edited by Metaphor, 06 November 2013 - 11:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users