• This topic is locked This topic is locked
778 replies to this topic

#21 Rijndael

Rijndael

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

tks for the input, I wasn't using shadowmeld at all so I'm going to play with that.

A question I'm almost afraid to ask - what's wrong with HealBot? It gives me one click casts for all my heals, shows all my running HoTs, show me range to targets, shows aggro and has debuff alerts. I don't use any of the auto cast stuff but it seems to do eveything else I need. Why does it always get slagged as no good for resto druids?

I am ducking right now to avoid the incoming shit storm I expect is heading me way...... but if ya don't ask ya don't learn.

Perhaps addon discussion should be its own thread. That said, I use healbot, and I prefer it to grid/clique. I found it much easier to keep multiple hots rolling efficiently using healbot's display than grid's display. The problem with grid is that out of the box it only displays 1 countdown number, while good druid play needs to keep track of multiple simultaneous countdowns on multiple targets. It IS possible to configure grid to show multiple countdowns, but at that point you start to either suffer from information overload due to all these numbers being clumped together, or grid starts to look like healbot in terms of the amount of space it takes up.

Healbot is usable out of the box and much easier to configure. Healbot's big problem is that it takes a relatively large amount of screen space. For me that isn't a problem since the healthbar display is transparent, and I honestly prefer a more detailed UI for hots/health bars than having a lot of open screen space. I realize this is a highly personal thing with healers, so YMMV.

#22 Onawatta

Onawatta

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

I noticed a few people posted about GridStatusHots showing countdowns in colors. In the old Raiding as a Tree thread someone posted how to change the dots into numerical values by changing each spells line in GridStatusHots.lua from:

tostring(math.floor(rgtime)..."-"..tostring(hcnttxt))

to

tostring(math.floor(rgtime))

I had tried this back in BC and it worked. I just came back to WoW and tried setting this up again, but it doesn't change the dots to numbers anymore. Anyone know if there is something else i have to do since the mod has changed to track a lot more hots than it used to?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

#23 Poly

Poly

Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I noticed a few people posted about GridStatusHots showing countdowns in colors. In the old Raiding as a Tree thread someone posted how to change the dots into numerical values by changing each spells line in GridStatusHots.lua from:

to

I had tried this back in BC and it worked. I just came back to WoW and tried setting this up again, but it doesn't change the dots to numbers anymore. Anyone know if there is something else i have to do since the mod has changed to track a lot more hots than it used to?

The purpose of this change was not to make it show numbers, it was to get rid of the hot count number the mod displayed by default (this cluttered the display).

To see a number counting down you need to use the corner text plugin. I made this change to my local version since I display the time left on my Rejuv in the bottom left corner and time left on Regrowth in bottom right. I use center text 3? (whichever is lowest) to display the Lifebloom plugin (this one shows time remaining in tenths of a second and colors it according to the stack size). I also have colored dots to show the presence of any Rejuv or Regrowth since I can still swiftmend other druids hots (though I am currently our only consistently raiding tree)

With this setup I can look at anyone in the raid and see the status of my hots on them at a glance.

#24 Bigtoy

Bigtoy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

to

Hi
I too noticed this. The key missing addon isn't GridStatusHots, it's GridIndicatorCornerText, which just got updated on Curse Jan 10th. I just reinstalled it and it works great. I put together a quick how-to for my guildies that I'll repost here in case anyone else needs it.
---

While Grid is vital for every healer, it is of special import to druids as it is the best and only way to keep track of our HoTs without going absolutely mad. Here's how I roll

Posted Image

The center is Lifebloom where timer is the duration and the color is the number of stacks. Top right is Wild Growth, bottom right in Regrowth and bottom left is Rejuvenation.

Besides Grid there are three addons to displaying this

GridStatusHots
GridStatusLifebloom
GridIndicatorCornerText
(there are other corner addons, GridIndicatorCornerPlus & GridIndicatorCornerIcons which would also probably work)

Under the grid menu (accessible either via the Fubar or /Grid config) I set the following frame indicators
Center Text 2: Lifebloom Duration (ignore/uncheck Lifebloom stack)
Corner Text Bottom Left: Buff: My Rejuvenation
Corner Text Bottom Right: Buff: My Regrowth
Corner Text Top Right: Buff: My Wild Growth

Now in the Grid menu open up Status - My HoTs. For each HoT uncheck Show HoT Counter in each of them. This ensures that the corner text shows only the HoT timer and does not suffix the -n where n = total number of HoTs (something I've always found a little useless and cluttering). Note that this replaces the need to edit the lua file manually.

Finally I like to have my Wild Growth not change colors as it counts down. So under Grid - Status - My HoTs - Buff: My Wild Growth I set Color 3 to my preferred color (a light blue) and I change the Threshold to activate color 2 & 3 to 10. Why this makes Color 3 appear and not Color 1 is anyone's guess.

There are some other tweaks you may wish to make (displaying other druids' wild growths, fiddling with the padding etc.) but this should be a good start.

#25 jotch

jotch

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thanks Bigtoy, Ive been looking for an answer like that for a while.

Ive been using HoTCandy and Ive been just ignoring it lately, it wont account for talents.

#26 Dynalisia

Dynalisia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

The purpose of this change was not to make it show numbers, it was to get rid of the hot count number the mod displayed by default (this cluttered the display).

To see a number counting down you need to use the corner text plugin. I made this change to my local version since I display the time left on my Rejuv in the bottom left corner and time left on Regrowth in bottom right. I use center text 3? (whichever is lowest) to display the Lifebloom plugin (this one shows time remaining in tenths of a second and colors it according to the stack size). I also have colored dots to show the presence of any Rejuv or Regrowth since I can still swiftmend other druids hots (though I am currently our only consistently raiding tree)

With this setup I can look at anyone in the raid and see the status of my hots on them at a glance.

Funny, this is almost exactly what I use. I tried and rejected the use of cornertext because I felt it cluttered things too much, while it gave me information I didn't need. When it comes to any HoT other than lifebloom there is only a few things I need to know about it: Is it on there at all, is it my own HoT and do I have to refresh it. Color coding corner indicators works just fine for that in my opinion.

Anyway, grid can seem a little daunting in the amount of configurable options and the amount of indicators that could potentially flash up at the same time, but you truly learn to absorb this very easily after a while and it's rare that all indicators light up on even a single person, never mind a raid.

Here's my config for good measure:

Posted Image

Apologies for adding to this digression by the way, but having a proper raid interface is surely one of, if not THE most important tool to improve your healing prowess with, especially for a resto druid, so I figured it does fit the thread.

#27 Vazu

Vazu

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:09 PM

Posted Image

What does this actually do for you? I get the curse, poison and aggro monitors. But it seems a little overboard to have grid track every single HOT you can cast for each person. There is such a thing as information overload and how that impacts not only how you heal, but if you can stay alive. It looks great. Don't get me wrong. But I guess I just don't see it being very practical. Why don't HOT timers work just as well? What useful purpose do a bunch of colored dots on grid serve? Are you using grid plus HOT timers? Etc etc. I'd love to hear how the colored dots help you.

#28 Zakariya

Zakariya

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

What does this actually do for you? I get the curse, poison and aggro monitors. But it seems a little overboard to have grid track every single HOT you can cast for each person. There is such a thing as information overload and how that impacts not only how you heal, but if you can stay alive. It looks great. Don't get me wrong. But I guess I just don't see it being very practical. Why don't HOT timers work just as well? What useful purpose do a bunch of colored dots on grid serve? Are you using grid plus HOT timers? Etc etc. I'd love to hear how the colored dots help you.

I use something very similar to above, though I don't use dots for WG, Curse or Poison, and I find it invaluable.

The above setup tells you, for each person in the raid, how many of your hots are up and which are about to need refreshing. On fights like Loatheb or Sartharion+ or Malygos that is information I cannot live without. If there isn't massive raid damage, I won't care about raid HoTs and they won't be there, so my Grid UI won't be overloaded. But when it matters and I need to know that RJ is about to fall off 3 mages before a Vortex, my setup tells me that in the span of half a second and I can get to refreshing heals as my GCD allows.

The thing about Grid is, to the uninitiated user, it does seem like information overload. You get used to this, though, and learn to read it at a glance. I'd say Grid + corner indicators for HoTs has demonstrably improved my reaction time, though I can't give you a magic percent-increase that doesn't involve a lot of hand-waving and smoke from behind curtains.

Edit: I can haz spelling.

#29 Dynalisia

Dynalisia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Your post is a little disjointed, so I'll just go with a Q&A format.

But it seems a little overboard to have grid track every single HOT you can cast for each person.

Why is that going overboard? I don't like my HoTs to be fire-and-forget missiles. Besides, how would you know wether you can Swiftmend someone if you can't quickly see if you have any HoTs on them? How would this work with a HoT timer exactly? You see someone is taking hard damage on your raid frames, decide you want to swiftmend, take a look at your HoT timer to find out if theres a HoT on him and then proceed to swiftmend the person? Or do you just spam swiftmend and try something else if it doesnt work? Or do you waste 1,5 sec by first casting Rejuv and then Swiftmending?

Why don't HOT timers work just as well?

HoT timers work just fine, but Grid simply works much better.

Grid shows everything I need to know about the status of the raid in one centralized location. I can see what my HoTs are doing in the same spot where I can see the HP of the mage who just got aggro and might need a quick swiftmend or NSHT soon. I can see which tank just took a hell of a beating and activated his Shield Wall in the same location as where I'm monitoring his Lifebloom stack, so I don't lose track of the significance of either by moving my gaze up and down my screen. If you're talking about information overload, this is exactly the way to avoid it: by making sure your eyes don't have to scurry all around the screen and connect the information that's coming to you via numerous different addons.

What useful purpose do a bunch of colored dots on grid serve?

It's not important for me to know wether Rejuv is at 11 seconds or 6 seconds as long as the indicator tells me when it's almost falling off. If anything, having a huge list of timers for different people, of whom I have to read the names and the hots to put everything in perspective is massively confusing. If things get messy, I can have dozens of HoTs running around the raid and possibly have to decurse or cure poison at the same time as well, how can you possibly manage without a centralized interface? With my grid I can instantly see a persons complete status in regards to what I can do for him in one glance, nothing else to my knowledge, not even the mighty Healbot does that.

#30 Mizaru

Mizaru

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

Besides, how would you know wether you can Swiftmend someone if you can't quickly see if you have any HoTs on them?

Center icon works for that, besides your not the only person healing in a raid.

Also, you mention hots as not being fire-and-forget, but lets face it the only people in the raid you want to actually keep your hots at 100% uptime is the tanks. I don't think there is any encounter to my mind that requires you to upkeep 10 rejevenations for the entire fight. Rejuvenation and lifebloom on non tank targets are exactally fire-and-forget unless there is something specific going on.

#31 Dynalisia

Dynalisia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:04 AM

I might have used the wrong expression there. What I meant is that I want to know exactly what happens with any HoTs I put out there and they people they are on until they expire. In addition Zakariya made an excellent point about why the information is important on various raid encounters.

I'm not sure what you mean with your first line. What exactly do you mean your center icon to show, and how would you avoid it from obscuring a lifebloom timer without making the whole thing more cluttered? Other than that, the fact that there are others healing doesn't mean I shouldn't use my abilities as well as I can. This becomes even more obvious in a 10-man situation.

#32 calderstrake

calderstrake

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

I'd like to give some more feedback and opinion on the use of Grid as your raid frames for healing as a Druid.

In BC, I used X-Perl + Clique for all my raid healing. I used the Shift key and bound all spells to Shift + [mouse key]. With 5 keys to use, I had it all covered (I used Ctrl for buffs). For t4 content this was fine and dandy, but with more progression I ended up with a cramped left hand from all the Shift key usage combined with walking. For WotLK, I wanted something different.

A lot of people recommended Grid, but when I saw screen shots, they were always tiny squares with some colored squares inside. I thought it looked horrible and I didn't want to use it. After browsing through the Share your interface thread, I saw several people with these rectangular boxes that were charcoal by default and showed the class colors underneath when the party member took damage. I realized this was actually Grid.

Now I use Grid + macros and it is so easy to heal a fight. I use LB in one corner and stack Rejuvenation and Regrowth in a second corner and WG in a third. I keep the default center icon setting for Curse and Poison. I changed the aggro warning to use the box around the unit frame so that it matches X-Perl a little better.

I also tried DotTimer, but the problem was I had to look in two different places on the screen to find out who my targets were and I couldn't click on the timer target to use my spells. This resulted in a lot of wasted time and I quickly disabled DotTimer and eventually uninstalled it.

For me, the point of a UI is to keep your attention focused on the information you need. Using multiple mods as a healer is unintuitive in my opinion. With about 5 minutes of configuration, Grid can provide you with all the information you need to heal effectively in a fashion that is pleasing to your eye as well. Basically, I can quickly see how soon the HoTs are expiring and make a very quick decision to refresh or let them fall off. As mentioned above, this is very useful for fights like Saph and KT.

#33 Mourad

Mourad

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:07 AM

I apologize if this has been linked to previously, but in TBC I originally used this Grid setup tutorial from Phaelia at Resto4life and highly recommend that people new to Grid go through this:

Resto4Life┬╗ Blog Archive ┬╗ Grid: Thinking within the Box(es)

I can honestly say that I have never considered using another mod after getting Grid set up properly. It is amazing how much information it can pack into a relatively small amount of screen real estate.

#34 Edghar

Edghar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:06 AM

Very true, its a valid tactic, but I don't think its required, its very effective on that fight and that is one fight out of the current end game. I don't think one encounter validates hots as not being fire-and-forget. In most of the current encounters if you throw someone a rejuvenation the chances you need to refresh that rejuvenation on that person is slim to say the least.

How does having the dots change colors cause any information overload? They stay in the same place and serve the same purpose (does this target have this HoT?). The only addition is that you can tell if the HoT is about to expire without any additional clutter. If your argument is that it's a bad idea because you can live without it, I'm not sure you'll really get anywhere. You can live without Grid and HoT timers too.

#35 Mizaru

Mizaru

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

How does having the dots change colors cause any information overload? They stay in the same place and serve the same purpose (does this target have this HoT?). The only addition is that you can tell if the HoT is about to expire without any additional clutter. If your argument is that it's a bad idea because you can live without it, I'm not sure you'll really get anywhere. You can live without Grid and HoT timers too.

I have not said that the dots were causing information overload, feel free to quote me if I did and I'll correct it. All I said that there are other ways to display that rejuvenation was active beside dots on grid.

My point, was that HoTs not being fire-and-forget is flawed, because (in most fights) the only people you have 100% uptime for your HoTs is tanks. I don't know where your getting anything else from my posts, I'd be happy to correct it otherwise. I definitely have no issue with people using Grid to show the status of thier hots, what people are more comfortable healing with is mostly irrelevant as long as they get it done. Lets not turn this thread into a Grid vs Timer discussion.

#36 Dynalisia

Dynalisia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:45 PM

To be honest, the thing is that I heal the tanks via Grid as well and for them I do need the functionality of knowing when their HoTs are about to run out, I think we can all agree on that. But because there is really no reason to try and find out a way to make HoT expiration show for tanks and not for the rest of the raid (if it could even been done at all) and since the extra information doesn't trouble or overload me, I'm just using it as is :)

#37 Playered

Playered

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

As there seemed to be a desire to discuss this more indepth than originally thought this thread has been created and the majority of UI posts from elsewhere have been (or will be soon) moved here in order to have a clear place for people to find and talk about various UI topics.

Again please try and keep things as informative as possible and not fill the thread up with "hi guys i dld grid and tryed it and it waz gud -Restotard lvl 79 Lagchewer" types of posts. If someone provided you with information you were looking for that's great but if that's all you wanted to say in your reply then we can manage without it.

#38 Ruby Moon

Ruby Moon

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:17 AM

Long time ago I tried a small addon called Lifebloomer. It made the calculations based on your latency and showed when you should refresh the blooming. Thanks to that addon I was able to get used to my 600 latency and still keep my 4 lifeblooms rolling. But... it was horrible to set up and it looked terrible as well.

What I would really like to see is an easier way to keep track of hots, specially lifebloom stacks, on multiple targets. Bars are way too big for that; I'm looking for solutions on that for quite some time. I like to have a clean interface but the timers always mess everything up. I'm using Grid but it doesn't feel reliable; looks like it takes a bit longer than PitBull to update health numbers.

#39 Sagus

Sagus

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:07 AM

I mainly use Grid and Dotimer to track my HoTs, and I've been having the issue of my screen being completely filled with WG bars. I don't want to turn them completely off, so I was wondering if anyone knew of either a config option, or a .lua hack that would allow me to set up Dotimer to only show the WG bar on one person. It would preferably be my target, if not a random person would work fine. Especially with the cooldown nerf going into effect, knowing how long it has remaining on 1 person is almost as good as on everyone.

Edit. Nevermind, I found I could set it as a party buff and it just shows one bar with a number showing how many people it's on.

#40 Norfair

Norfair

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

Long time ago I tried a small addon called Lifebloomer. It made the calculations based on your latency and showed when you should refresh the blooming. Thanks to that addon I was able to get used to my 600 latency and still keep my 4 lifeblooms rolling. But... it was horrible to set up and it looked terrible as well.

What I would really like to see is an easier way to keep track of hots, specially lifebloom stacks, on multiple targets. Bars are way too big for that; I'm looking for solutions on that for quite some time. I like to have a clean interface but the timers always mess everything up. I'm using Grid but it doesn't feel reliable; looks like it takes a bit longer than PitBull to update health numbers.

You should really take a second look at Grid imo. If you feel it updates slowly, try installing Instant Health. It's and add-on that updated hp values based on your combatlog and not from the information it gets server side. It's compatible with almost all unitframes add-ons I believe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)