• This topic is locked This topic is locked
778 replies to this topic

#41 ElPietro

ElPietro

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

My point, was that HoTs not being fire-and-forget is flawed, because (in most fights) the only people you have 100% uptime for your HoTs is tanks.

I can just off the top of my head think of several cases where your statement is not entirely valid. True many fights you don't have to focus on ten or more targets, but in MOST fights, you are going to be healing more than just the MT/OT.

First let me preface this by stating I have not yet configured Grid properly, so am not using it in raids. I see a couple benefits to grid knowing who is still hotted up. One obviously is effective healing, but secondly, this can be better than having a second innervate or hundreds more MP5.

I say this because contrary to the quoted comment above, there actually are several encounters where you want to have practically 100% uptime on hots to a very large number of people.

The most obvious example is Sapphiron. As a resto druid, I can completely negate the periodic frost damage ticks for an entire 10 man raid by maintaining rejuv on every target. So that is one example that explains effective healing.

Secondly, on the mana gain side, I currently use x-perl, so I only can easily only track my hots on my target and focus, which means I am most likely wasting a TON of mana, refreshing hots on targets that already have hots with half duration remaining or more, simply because it's not that easy to mentally track who has what hot, on a large pool of raid members.

There are many other examples where phases of boss fights this would be a great help, such as pre-hots for Malygos for the cyclone or whatever it's called. Making sure your assigned targets have hots up before the healing window opens on Loetheb, decimate on Gluth.

Heck even wildgrowth in it's current state, if you have a bunch of people at low health, and wildgrowth one player, you don't necessarily know all 4 of the other players that received the hot, so seeing this instantly, can assist you if you need to cast a second one, to avoid re-casting it on a target that currently has it. Of course, this all changes post 3.08, but still it's just another example.

In any case, I think my point is fairly clear. Knowing all this information not only will increase your effective healing, it will save you a boat load of mana, since we still are one of the best raid heal classes in the game, and an addon like grid seems to be a great way to maximize this roll.

#42 Vazu

Vazu

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

I mainly use Grid and Dotimer to track my HoTs, and I've been having the issue of my screen being completely filled with WG bars. I don't want to turn them completely off, so I was wondering if anyone knew of either a config option, or a .lua hack that would allow me to set up Dotimer to only show the WG bar on one person. It would preferably be my target, if not a random person would work fine. Especially with the cooldown nerf going into effect, knowing how long it has remaining on 1 person is almost as good as on everyone.

Edit. Nevermind, I found I could set it as a party buff and it just shows one bar with a number showing how many people it's on.

You can tell Dotimer to simply ignore Wild Growth as a spell altogether. I did this with trinkets and stuff like Clearcasting that I just don't need to see a timer for.

#43 reytheist

reytheist

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:36 AM

I've found it difficult to overcome the learning curve of using Grid and either mouseover macros (my hands don't work the movement keys and the spell keys at the same time well) or a Clique-type addon (same issue with modifier keys). I'm not sure what I can do to improve my performance with the setup aside from sucking (more) for a little while until it comes more naturally. Something I'm not eager to do.

I've been using Rewatch, which allows me to click-cast on spell names, and has built-in decursing indicators. The amount of screen real estate is the main drawback for me, but it improves my healing throughput immensely.

#44 Zipporah

Zipporah

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

I've found it difficult to overcome the learning curve of using Grid and either mouseover macros (my hands don't work the movement keys and the spell keys at the same time well) or a Clique-type addon (same issue with modifier keys). I'm not sure what I can do to improve my performance with the setup aside from sucking (more) for a little while until it comes more naturally. Something I'm not eager to do.

I've been using Rewatch, which allows me to click-cast on spell names, and has built-in decursing indicators. The amount of screen real estate is the main drawback for me, but it improves my healing throughput immensely.

Well one of the things I have been doing for years is to rebind the default autorun to my middle mouse button instead of... uhm nunlock or whatever it used to be. In the heat of the fight where I need to move and heal I've grown used to quickly stearing with holding down the right mouse button (mouse view) and then toggling autorun with the middle mouse button. It gives me enough time to use the buttons 1-6 for heals (I have 1 WG, 2 LB, 3 rej, 4 regr, 5 SM, 6 nourish. I also use clique but only for the not so often used abilities. ALT-RMB = NS+HT macro, ALT-LMB = buff thorns, CTRL-RMB = decurse and SHIFT-RMB = abolish. Obviously the RMB alone is my mouseview (or pop up window when you right click on a unit frame) so no clique action there. And the LBM alone is target selecting. I also use the WASD keys to move but that is more when not in the middle of a raid encounter.

I don't even use a mouseover macro at the moment, so I click on a grid frame and then press one of the buttons 1-6 to heal. While it works pretty well and satisfying, I'm considering of changing all my heals on 1-6 to mouseover macro'ed heals.

#45 Guest_Akomos_*

Guest_Akomos_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

reytheist -- How do you bind your keys? If you're moving on WASD and using the (horrible) default keybindings, it's not your hands' fault you can't move and cast well at the same time. Moving your movement to ESDF and binding spells on the letter keys on the left half of the keyboard (and shift-variants) makes all the difference in the world.

#46 calderstrake

calderstrake

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:22 AM

Ah, it seems information was posted in the last few minutes that made my post irrelevant.

I'm curious though, do any of you customize the settings for Grid other than the default?

I keep Rejuv blue, Regrowth white and Lifebloom red-yellow-green. I put WG in the bottom right all by itself.

#47 Imalinata

Imalinata

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:44 AM

Here's my config for good measure:

Posted Image

Dynalisia - What are you using to show HoTs by others? I've tried a couple different ways, but either it just doesn't show at all no matter how I change the config, or if they do show, they don't fall off when the HoTs are no longer active.

#48 Dynalisia

Dynalisia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:27 AM

To get that effect I simply have the indicators of GridStatusHots with bright colors (Grid->Status->My HoTs) set to a higher priority than the standard HoT indicators with dimmed colors (Grid->Status->Auras). This means that what looks like indicators showing 'HoTs by others' is in fact just indicators showing any HoT of that type, but since MyHoTs will overwrite the indicator when I put my own stuff on there, it's easy to differentiate.

#49 anifunk

anifunk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

I used to primarily play on just a laptop, so I picked up Grid to keep everything nice and compact and easy to look over as quick as possible. With Add-Ons like HoTimer I found myself thinking too much about flat numbers. I find it a lot easier to react to the color changes along with the timers of Grid.

One thing I also tried out was binding all my keys A-H and Z-N with shift/ctrl/alt modifiers. This gave a parallel set-up to my action bars which I feel helped me react smoother.

#50 Nitz

Nitz

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

I mainly use mouseover macros to heal so the Grid's border status for unit selection isn't useful to me at all. I use the border instead to easily show me swiftmendable targets by activating both Rejuvenation and Regrowth indicators on the border.

#51 Keeva

Keeva

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

Like anifunk, I react faster to colour changes.

Instead of center icons, I use colours (Health Bar Colour) for debuffs. For poisons the frame turns bright green; for curses purple; and for a debuff that I can't remove but have to deal with, the frame turns really bright pink.

For each fight this is something different, but it's always the "UH OH" debuff that I'm expecting. On Bloodboil it was Fel Rage, on Illidan it was Dark Barrage, on Felmyst Encapsulate, etc. I don't have to think or interpret - as soon as I see someone's frame turn bright pink, I can switch to healing them. Or if they turn green or purple I can hit my decurse/depoison macros without really even thinking - it has become almost automatic when I see those colour triggers.

I also make use of the borders like Nitz - I have no need to show who I'm targetting. Instead I use borders for aggro (red border) and low mana (blue border). If someone's border turns red, I can throw them a rejuv and wait to see if I need to Swiftmend.

I use corner text for Rejuv & Regrowth, corner squares for buffs. I use a yellow corner for WG (I don't really care about the timer). I don't display other people's buffs, but I like the idea of using the border to show whether the target is Swiftmendable... might have to try that one.

This is my current setup:
Posted Image

I use GridStatusHots, GridStatusLifebloom, mana bars, and corner indicator text.

#52 downnola

downnola

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

I've been using similar setups to the ones in this thread, mainly Grid, GridStatusHots, and GridStatusLifebloom. I'm curious though how hard would it be to add Abolish Poison's duration to GridStatusHots? I've messed around with it a bit and the closest I can get is using a normal solid color corner indicator. I'd love to have a text countdown for abolish as it would help immensely on fights like Maexxna and pvp aswell.

Also, I'm surpised I haven't seen anyone mention ForteXorcist (ForteWarlock) - Addons - Curse for tracking HOTs and misc buffs. It also has a pretty nice cooldown timer which displays used cooldowns on a slider that frees up alot of screen space. It supports most classes and it's one of the nicer timers I've seen out there.

Here is an example of the Cooldown and Spelltimer:
Posted Image

I only have the Spell Timer tracking a few things right now, but it does a great job tracking our HOTs, and sorting them by players. The Cooldown Timer is between my Player and Target frames and is pretty customizable in terms of what CD's you want it to track.

#53 enkoopa

enkoopa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Lifebloomer. Lifebloomer - Addons - Curse

It fits the bill perfectly for 5-mans obviously.

For raiding, I'm usually on the MT anyways and OT's. So I have my regular xperl raid display, then I set lifebloomer to myself and the other tanks.

It's ridiculously easy to roll hots on everyone, and very easy to time to renew your LB at the last possible second.

I do wish it was a bit more actively maintained and/or had new stuff added. Grid just doesn't suit me, but there seems to be tons of addons for it so I could give it a shot to see if I can bend it into something usable for my style.

#54 Guest_Aamaretto_*

Guest_Aamaretto_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

It's not important for me to know wether Rejuv is at 11 seconds or 6 seconds as long as the indicator tells me when it's almost falling off. ... With my grid I can instantly see a persons complete status in regards to what I can do for him in one glance, nothing else to my knowledge, not even the mighty Healbot does that.

After reading these first posts, I was skeptical. I've been using Healbot for a couple years now, switching from a holy pally to a resto druid at the end of BC when RAF enabled me to level up in just a few days. I loved having the countdown timers next to each person's name on each hot and I couldn't imagine healing without it.

But I spent a good amount of time configuring Grid, I got the hot plug-in all loaded up, and I found that it works. I tried using the countdown timer, but it was just too much information - I found the stoplight colors work fine. And most of the time, all you need to know is how long until the tank's hots fall off and you've already got a feel for that anyway. I went from totally focused on "I have to have countdown timers!!" to "I don't need them."

I tuned my counter setting so that when LB turns yellow, I need to pay attention; when it turns red, that's when I need to hit the button so that it doesn't fall off but it doesn't clip a second too early. Then for Rejuv, I cut down the timer so that when it turns red, I won't clip the end of the spell - it'll give a chance to tick just as I'm hitting the button to renew. And the colors really are easier to see than numbers.

Anyway, my contribution to this thread is that - It's not impossible to go from Healbot to Grid even though I was very skeptical! And it has its advantages. I won't say that I'm completely enamored with Grid yet, but it's cleaner and more customizable. (Now if only I could figure out how to mark only the tanks that need Thorns, I'd be a happy tree.)

#55 calderstrake

calderstrake

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

(Now if only I could figure out how to mark only the tanks that need Thorns, I'd be a happy tree.)

Phaelia covered that very issue in her blog.

Grid: Thinking within the Box(es)

check the section called Monitoring Thorns.

#56 Yoggi14

Yoggi14

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

Like anifunk, I react faster to colour changes.

Instead of center icons, I use colours (Health Bar Colour) for debuffs. For poisons the frame turns bright green; for curses purple; and for a debuff that I can't remove but have to deal with, the frame turns really bright pink.

For each fight this is something different, but it's always the "UH OH" debuff that I'm expecting. On Bloodboil it was Fel Rage, on Illidan it was Dark Barrage, on Felmyst Encapsulate, etc. I don't have to think or interpret - as soon as I see someone's frame turn bright pink, I can switch to healing them. Or if they turn green or purple I can hit my decurse/depoison macros without really even thinking - it has become almost automatic when I see those colour triggers.

I also make use of the borders like Nitz - I have no need to show who I'm targetting. Instead I use borders for aggro (red border) and low mana (blue border). If someone's border turns red, I can throw them a rejuv and wait to see if I need to Swiftmend.

I use corner text for Rejuv & Regrowth, corner squares for buffs. I use a yellow corner for WG (I don't really care about the timer). I don't display other people's buffs, but I like the idea of using the border to show whether the target is Swiftmendable... might have to try that one.

This is my current setup:
Posted Image

I use GridStatusHots, GridStatusLifebloom, mana bars, and corner indicator text.

Ok....I'm having a problem. I can get the LB to display the duration but i can not get it to display RJ and RG.....which I need....can anyone help me?

#57 Lightflower

Lightflower

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:53 AM

Quick question - does anyone have a replacement for RegenFu with regards to ooFSR time? It appears to be no longer supported.

#58 Dynalisia

Dynalisia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

Ok....I'm having a problem. I can get the LB to display the duration but i can not get it to display RJ and RG.....which i need....can ne1 help me?

Assign Buff: Rejuvenation and Buff: Regrowth to Center Text 1/2/3.

If you want the numbers in the corners, you will need to install the corner text Grid plugin and assign the buffs to those instead.

#59 anifunk

anifunk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:13 AM

Assign Buff: Rejuvenation and Buff: Regrowth to Center Text 1/2/3.

If you want the numbers in the corners, you will need to install the corner text Grid plugin and assign the buffs to those instead.

Be sure you assign Buff: My Regrowth and Buff: My Rejuvenation from the GridStatusHots module. Otherwise you'll just get a color indicator instead of the countdown. I spent about 15 minutes in frustration before I figured that out.

#60 lairpie

lairpie

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

One suggestion for tracking the hots of others (either to know you can swiftmend someone, or just to not waste your time/mana tossing a hot on someone only down 1-2k hp that has a hot already) is to setup a gray colored indicator for each druid hot with a lower priority than the "my rejuv" or such, in the same spot. Essentially, if I have a rejuv on someone, I don't really care if someone else does too, so its fine that the "my rejuv" covers up their rejuv indicator.

Another nice thing to have is an indicator that has PW:S as white, and the PW:S debuff as a yellowy color. Especially with the strength of a disc priest's shields these days, knowing that someone is effectively several thousand hp higher than their bar would indicate means they're probably not a rush target. The yellow indicator means that not only do they not have a shield, but they can't get one either, so they're worse off than they look.
12/13 HM25 BrM Monk (also willing to heal, or play partial WW partial BrM) LF Guild :-/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users