• Please log in to reply
1313 replies to this topic

#21 elandriel

elandriel

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

So far my experience with soloing has me sold on moth and ferocity pets in general being far superior to tenacity for tanking (I single out moth due to its special which provides an extra heal)
My moth's build is this focused mainly, as you can see, on survivability (probably too much). What I usually do is start the fight with growl active and at some point (around 60-70% of the boss) switching to cower to gain the 20% damage reduction.

#22 Teedge

Teedge

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

I have tried repeatedly to kill thekal as BM with a worm pet, wearing all the pvp gear i've got and having 2piece t5 on. Yet still I cannot keep my pet alive unless he's got fort/motw/kings, putting his health up to 21k. Apparently its not an issue to keep up pets, even when mine is specced into tanking as much as possible, including a spec of my own that increases health/armor etc. To all the hunters that have solo'd Thekal, how much health do you and your pet have, and how much armor does your pet have? The problem might be because my gear is outdated, most of my pvp gear is brutal/vengeful from 70 with the exception of a new xbow, hateful boots/belt/ring.

#23 Catalept

Catalept

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

So far my experience with soloing has me sold on moth and ferocity pets in general being far superior to tenacity for tanking (I single out moth due to its special which provides an extra heal)
My moth's build is this focused mainly, as you can see, on survivability (probably too much). What I usually do is start the fight with growl active and at some point (around 60-70% of the boss) switching to cower to gain the 20% damage reduction.

... I'd mentally written off Improved Cower as a pointless waste of space some months ago, but now that you mention it, it seems rather good. What's the theorycraft of Improved Damage's 20% DR vs. the various Armor gains that the Tenacity tree affords?

#24 Shandara

Shandara

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have tried repeatedly to kill thekal as BM with a worm pet, wearing all the pvp gear i've got and having 2piece t5 on. Yet still I cannot keep my pet alive unless he's got fort/motw/kings, putting his health up to 21k. Apparently its not an issue to keep up pets, even when mine is specced into tanking as much as possible, including a spec of my own that increases health/armor etc. To all the hunters that have solo'd Thekal, how much health do you and your pet have, and how much armor does your pet have? The problem might be because my gear is outdated, most of my pvp gear is brutal/vengeful from 70 with the exception of a new xbow, hateful boots/belt/ring.

It probably depends a lot on your and your pet's spec. My pet had roughly 15k hp but I did spec into a weird BM solo spec to do ZG. I Catlike Reflexes for the extra dodge as well as all the avoidance/tank pet talents. I also used a Tenacity pet for the Blood of the Rhino healing increase.

As long as I kept all the mobs with my pet far away from he, even if Zath gouged my pet it would take them long enough to reach that I could FD and get 1 or 2 Mend Pet ticks at the same time.

The only thing that is really deadly is them beating on your pet when it's stunned.

#25 Teedge

Teedge

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

It probably depends a lot on your and your pet's spec. My pet had roughly 15k hp but I did spec into a weird BM solo spec to do ZG. I Catlike Reflexes for the extra dodge as well as all the avoidance/tank pet talents. I also used a Tenacity pet for the Blood of the Rhino healing increase.

As long as I kept all the mobs with my pet far away from he, even if Zath gouged my pet it would take them long enough to reach that I could FD and get 1 or 2 Mend Pet ticks at the same time.

The only thing that is really deadly is them beating on your pet when it's stunned.

Yeah i've got one of those weird specs too, except my pet *still* goes down. Its probably because my pvp gear is weak, my dps is weak....any other suggestions?

#26 Guest_Airraid_*

Guest_Airraid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:23 AM

My gorilla has about 14k health, not sure about armor – I’ll post that next time I log on. Personally I have ~16.5k health and ~11k mana when specced BM. Being honest I have no problem keeping my gorilla alive and I'm baffled why your pet isn’t staying alive unless your pet is not level 80 yet. I would suggest that being in level 70 PvP gear would adversely affect the scaling to your pet, but not enough not to be able to do it. How are you speccing deep BM and speccing your pet to tank? Are they specs like the below:

Hunter: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
Pet: Pet Calculator - Wowhead (I found 2/2 Lionhearted good for learning to solo Thekal)

Specced as above my mend pet ticks for around 1650, plus the extra heals from 2 set T5. There can be a few hairy moments when my pet is around 3k health, but when my pet gets stunned and they agro to me that’s usually enough time for three or four ticks to hit my pet getting him back to ~10k health. When Lor'Khan has no mana the heals from the T5 bonus are more then enough to keep my pet up during volley spam, but I generally keep mend pet rolling just in case.

can someone give a good gold table for the bosses? and which bosses are most profitable, considering the 3.08 gold drop nerf.

Each boss in ZG drops ~24g, but you also need to look at the overall picture if you’re farming ZG for gold. On my server there’s also a good market for Bijou’s for those looking to farm rep for achievements, Tome of Polymorph: Turtle still fetches about 2000 gold on my server and has a 14% drop rate from the Fish boss. Plus there’s the BoE greens, vendoring the drops from the bosses etc – so overall there is some good money to be made, but naturally how profitable each run can be depends on whether there's a market for all of the items that drop on your server.

#27 Tsook

Tsook

chiefly comprised of water

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:18 AM

Zath has two CC abilities, blind and gouge. If your pet is facing away from him he will never gouge (requires facing just like the rogue ability). If your pet is low health and desperately needs a few ticks of mend, retarget him on Zath to increase the chance of giving him a respite.

One thing I thought I saw was Lor'khan's lightning shield being a significant increase in damage, so I tried to have the gorilla meleeing one of the other two and just holding aggro on her with thunderstomp. But now that I look it up, her lightning shield is only 8 damage, so even with Serpent's Swiftness + Cobra Reflexes + Frenzy it seems unlikely that really was a significant source of increased damage. More likely when my gorilla was looking at her, he was turning his back to the other two and losing his dodge chance.

Other than that, keep up mend pet and multishot or TBW if his hp are getting low. Time your aotvs for periods when his hp are very full because 2t5 won't be worth much then.

My gorilla had about 20k armor when I did it on saturday, and that was plenty healable. I didn't put on pvp gear because the reduction in my dps would have more than offset, through reduced 2t5, the increase in health.

#28 DarkSTorM2000

DarkSTorM2000

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Anyone got some tips for Bloodlord Mandokir? its the only im unable to down, not sure why, he hit pretty hard and his healing reduction debuff his painful, I manage to kill the raptor pretty fast, but after that it get messy and if he die, even if he revive him, his health are too low to be able to tank it again. My gorilla is only 79 tho, im not sure if this will make a really big difference? If anyone can give me some advice I'll appreciate

Thanks

#29 Iru

Iru

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

Has anyone done any soloing in MC? I was looking to fill out my rep sheet by farming there but the first pull just overwhelms my pet every time.

#30 Shandara

Shandara

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

Has anyone done any soloing in MC? I was looking to fill out my rep sheet by farming there but the first pull just overwhelms my pet every time.

I've done it a bit.

The Core Hounds, Giants/Destroyer duos, Core Ragers/Surgers are all easily doable for a properly spec'ed tanking pet (at least as BM).

It's the Firelords that present the biggest problem, I was unable to kill them fast enough before they spawn a fire spawn and eventually ended up with a whole bunch of them.

I tried to solo some bosses as well, but apart from Magmadar a pet just gets whacked too fast (especially by the multi-pulls).

#31 Owen

Owen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:19 PM

My gorilla has about 14k health, not sure about armor – I’ll post that next time I log on.

Mine has similar stats as yours and >20k armor.

I tend to wear my Medallion of Heroism for the 2 min heals, and if you can get a hold of a Living Ice Crystal from H-Malygos that would also be great.

#32 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

I've done it a bit.

It's the Firelords that present the biggest problem, I was unable to kill them fast enough before they spawn a fire spawn and eventually ended up with a whole bunch of them.

Hm. Were you trying to kill the Firelord first while ignoring the spawns? I was in there last night with a 5 man, and I just switched to killing spawns as soon as they appeared - if I recall correctly the spawns are the ones that split, so as long as you keep killing them before they do, you'll win.

It was a 5 man, but I'm fairly sure I was all or at least the vast majority of the dps on the spawns themselves.

Baron Geddon and Ragnaros as Survival are no fun btw :/

#33 Ravenfire

Ravenfire

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

There are two types of trash in MC that isn't easily soloable: Core Hound Packs (I have never succesfully done a group) and Lava Packs (attrition isn't a fun way to clear trash). Core Hound Packs are insane due to the stacking bleed effect utterly destroying your pet and the need to kill all 5 Hounds within 10 seconds of each other. Lava packs are similar but doable if you are willing to burst down one before your pet dies, FD, res pet and pull again.

Doable bosses in MC would be Magmadar (would be a push over if one could kill the trash in his room) and I suspect Shazzrah would be soloable if you could figure out a way to pull him solo without the threat of trash.

I managed to save a Living Ice Crystal from being DE'd and man is it nice. A 1 minute cooldown for a 2.7k instant heal (2.9k on yourself if you have Spirit Bond, 4.1k on a tenacity pet w/ SB and BotR) sure makes some boss fights significantly easier to survive.

#34 leonardofelin

leonardofelin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:29 AM

I had a hard time soloing Thekal, mostly with Quest/Heroic blues and crafted Epics.

Mostly, I had problems keeping my pet alive (a gorilla with about 14k life). I think they added, along with the gold nerf on 3.0.8, some kind of mortal strike that reduces healing.

My main issue was targeting Lor'Khan to keep Viper Sting up, while still maintaining high DPS (2xT5 set bonus) to keep my pet up. At about half-way the fight, I was more concerned on keeping the DPS at the right target than re-applying Viper, so, her mana went up and she healed (I may have some coordination issues... :P)

To make things easier, so I wouldn't have to worry about re-targetting and lose DPS along, I created 3 macros to target Lor'Khan, apply Viper Sting and then target either Thekal, Zath or plainly stay at Lor'Khan. Second try after this and I got them down. Something like:
#showtooltip
/target Zealot Lor'khan
/cast Viper Sting
/target High Priest Thekal
/petattack

#showtooltip
/target Zealot Lor'khan
/cast Viper Sting
/target Zealot Zath
/petattack

#showtooltip
/target Zealot Lor'khan
/cast Viper Sting
/target Zealot Lor'khan
/petattack

Using the macros also helps to reposition your pet. If he has two mobs at his back, his life goes down rather quickly. Try to make him face where two of them are.

I usually refreshed Mend Pet 2-3 seconds before it would run out, since silence is applied frequently.

Also, Blind and Gouge on the pet is your friend. It will give time for Mend Pet to tick a few times. If you see that your pet is blinded, try using Deterrence. I readed some posts above that it may reset the boss. It didn't happen to me in any of the tries. Anyway, use with caution. :)

If your health is high enough, your pet doesn't get blinded and it's health is running low, try using distracting shot to pull one of the mobs to you for a few moments, relieving your pet for some seconds (try to do this with the mob that's on his back).

Thank you all for all the tips I found here! Helped a lot!

#35 Myul

Myul

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

There are two types of trash in MC that isn't easily soloable: Core Hound Packs (I have never succesfully done a group) and Lava Packs (attrition isn't a fun way to clear trash).

It tooked me some time, but is doable after learning. You will need 2 pc t5 bonus and keep mend pet up all the time. Start with volley / feign death / volley until the lowest (due to crits) reaches about 20% hitpoints. Swap to single target damage and nuke all of them to about 15%, then restart volley.

Lucifron, Magmadar and Shazzrah are totally soloable.
Gehennas: random shadow bolts hit a way to hart, your pet could survive it but you dps isn't that great to manage to stay alive for long enough.
Garr: to many adds to focus, aggro problems while using volley.
Baron Geddon: "ignite mana" totally destroys any class with mana and the lack of dispell. Don't even try that boss without a priest or a paladin.
Golemagg the Incinerator: Magma Splash hurt's to much with stacking armor reduction.
Sulfuron Harbinger: Maybe doable with enough endurance, but outlasting their mana pools while hoping to survive some spikes from the stun wasn't worth more then some tries..
Majordomo Executus: too many adds
Ragnaros: didn't bother to solo.

#36 Teedge

Teedge

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

I dont have a gorilla pet, but a worm. Perhaps this would be significant in healing/aggro? My worm is level 80, and when specced correctly hes got a little bit under 14k. I haven't been using multishot, out of fear that it will aggro some mobs onto me. I haven't stood 15 yards away either, nor have I been using volley, but I think that would have the same effect as multishot...

#37 Gorrog666

Gorrog666

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

My main is a warrior but my hunter is a total fun char and that is how I treat him. I've done quite a few instances solo and I'd like to share my insights on them.

Here's a armory link: The World of Warcraft Armory
My normal talent spec for soloing/DPS: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
My pet's talent spec: Pet Calculator - Wowhead

Now here are a few important things about my setup. I tried a bear for tanking but positioning and swipe threat just doesn't cut it. The perfect tank pet is most likely the gorilla since Thunderstomp produces additional medium threat. I have the complete T0.5 set and depending on the situation I use the head piece fpr 3% more pet health and the chest for 10% pet armor. I've found that even at T7 the T0.5 chest provides superior armor. Same goes for the T0.5 head piece if you buff your pet with stamina. I use the BC world drop pants since those buff your pet a lot and I'm blessed to have a feral staff from Naxx 25 with 714 armor. I also use the Kharazan reputation tanking ring and the Drak'Tharon heroic tanking ring from the last boss. The 2 piece T5 set bonus is also quite essential. I also use 3 pieces of the T1 set on some bosses.

It helps a lot to buff your pet. BC and WotLK pet food provide both the same bonus so Kibler's Bits are the way to go, they provide 30 strength and 30 stamina. Buffing yourself with food also buffs your pet. Also you can use Inscription scrolls to increase yours and your pet's stamina. This is where the T0.5 head becomes powerfull, you can achieve up to 16k-17k hp with your pet when fully self-buffed.

My gorilla has ~22492 armor and 14400+ HP.

Here's a list of what I've done and how:

AQ20
Kurinaxx (Easy, soloed): The healing debuff stacks up to 10 and prevents any pet healing but it doesn't refresh. Once the debuff reaches 10 it runs out and your pet gains full healing.
General Rajaxx (Medium-Hard, soloed): There is one wave where the mini-boss can make you the focus target keep your Feign Death ready for the debuff. Rajaxx himself is also easy the problem is the knockback, it resets threat. It's rather helpfull when your pet has increased run speed and charge to get back to the boss quickly positioning against a wall also helps.
Moam (Easy, soloed): Moam does little damage and you should be able to burn his mana with the new boost to viper sting.
Buru the Gorger (Medium-Hard, not soloed yet): You can prepare an egg with your pet and pull him over, should actually be pretty simple. Haven't tried it too much yet.
Ayamiss the Hunter (Hard-Impossible, not soloed yet): Send your pet in to keep you from getting sacrificed. Since you can't really tank you would need a pet with a ranged attack. No idea if it works haven't tried yet either.
Ossirian the Unscarred (Medium-Hard, not soloed yet): I could imagine the fight to be rather easy, pull your pet to an obelisk and dps when your pet gets in a whirlwind Feign Death.

ZG
Bat-Boss (Medium, soloed): Bomb adds, stand away since the sonic attack silences. Mana burn in pahse 2.
Snake-Boss (Easy, soloed): I recall that you cannot dispell the refresh on the boss so Aimed Shot and Viper Sting both help. In phase 2 just burn the boss down and pull out the pet from the posion clouds.
Spider-Boss (Medium-?, not soloed yet): Not much experience here yet.
Mandokir (Medium, soloed): Kill the Raptor first then then Mandokir. Make sure your pet doesn't have too many sunder armors on. Use Scorpid Sting so that the sunders don't stack too high. Stay on a ledge so that Mandokir doesn't charge, I don't believe this is evade bugging since your pet has always the aggro and Mandokir doesn't charge due to bad game mechanics or rather due to a missing path for a charge, if your pet dies or when you pull threat he will port you down and kill you.
Tiger-Boss (Easy-Medium, soloed): Use Aimed Shot, Viper Sting via macros to reduces the healing effect. Someone already mentioned this earlier, no mana = no heal. I use Aspect of the Viper and do not use Volley, single DPS provides better healing with T5. Use Feign Death or Deterrence when your pet gets stunned. Phase 2 is nothing special.
Panther-Boss (Hard-Impossible, not soloed yet): Volley will keep your pet alive the problem is the debuff that makes you the focus target, the adds will propably kill you in seconds and you cannot stay dead with Feign Death long enough to let it run out. A ferocity pet can maybe tank the boss.
Jin'Do (Easy, not soled yet): The pit should provide enough healing for your pet. Not sure how totems work.
Gahz'ranka (Easy, not soloed yet): Use a scorpid tank pet for the threat reset. I doubt this is hard at all.
Hakkar (No idea, not soloed yet): Going to try soon.

MC
Lucifron (Easy, soloed): Kill the adds with CDs, Bestial Wrath. Make a G15 macro for healing and go watch TV. The curse will kill your DPS, pet DPS wins here.
Magmadar (Easy, soloed): This is where T1 comes in handy. T1 makes your Mend Pet go over 68 yards. Stand out of fear range, app. 40 yards, and let your pet do the work. My brother helped me with the packs, haven't tried them solo yet.
Gehennas (Easy, soloed): Easy with T1, shadow bolts and fire aoe, again, have a 40 yards limit. Use your T1 and go watch TV.

I haven't done more of MC solo and haven't attempted it yet but I could imagine it not to be too hard. Use of T1 and T5 should make it possible. You can equip fire resistance equip for Geddon and with Avoidance your pet should not get too much damage, the T1 should prevent you from getting the bomb. Most special attacks in MC have a max. range of around 40 yards.

BWL
It is possible to solo BWL packs for Elementium Ore. You need T5.

AQ40
It is possible to solo trash in AQ40.

BC
I tried doing Auchenei Crypts on heroic but failed due to too high damage.

EDIT #1:
ZG
Panther-Boss (Easy-Medium, soloed): This boss is rather easy. The trick is to Feign Death when Arlokk is present. You start off the fight with Bestial Wrath and a Mend Pet then instantly Feign Death and stay down until she vanishes. When she's gone get up immediatly and heal your pet and immediatly Feign Death when the CD is ready, even before Arlokk comes back again. Your pet will do 99% of the damage, hit the boss once so you can loot it. Panthers will only attack you when the boss is present and your not in Feign Death mode. Tank the boss at the entrance since at the gong adds will spawn at some point and add on you. When you add one panther all will attack you no matter where they are, this does not count for your pet. When your pet attacks an add it will only fight one add, unless you pull more. I used a ferocity pet with 19.6k armor and 16.7k hp.

#38 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hmm, the reminder on the GS 3-piece is most welcome, thanks :) Geddon while in range of ignite mana is doable thanks to viper, but very unpleasant >.>

#39 Ehud

Ehud

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

On the snake boss in ZG, you definitely can dispel the renew with tranq shot.

On Gahz'ranka, I usually have either FD or deterrence ready to go when he drops aggro on my pet. Sometimes I have to eat some of his damage, but I just bandage once my pet regains aggro, which is more than enough to keep myself up.

#40 Guest_Airraid_*

Guest_Airraid_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

To make things easier, so I wouldn't have to worry about re-targetting and lose DPS along, I created 3 macros to target Lor'Khan, apply Viper Sting and then target either Thekal, Zath or plainly stay at Lor'Khan. Second try after this and I g

I find it much better just to focus Lor'Khan and use the one macro for the fight:

#showtooltip
/target focus
/cast Viper Sting
/targetlasttarget

That macro gives me zero downtime, I simply hit it every time the cooldown is up and I'm instantly back damaging my primary target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users