• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3089 replies to this topic

#1 Suno

Suno

Never challenge the throne.

• Guild Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Congratulations Death Knight tanks! Your tanking guide is now being handled by the very capable GravityDK. Grav will be taking over this role in the coming expansion and I assure you, we're all getting an upgrade in tank guide content. A big thanks to you for putting together the following revised OP, we all look forward to your contributions to the community in the exciting new expansion!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This post is a brief compendium of the currently widely accepted information about PvE raiding as a Death Knight tank in WoW 3.3.5.
This thread will be updated as necessary to provide only proven, tested information or, at worst, the community's collective best guess about relevant mechanics to Death Knight endgame tanking. It is a dynamic thread to provide and foster intelligent discussion.

Note on Cataclysm: at an appropriate time Gravity will start a new thread for Cataclysm. For now, it should be discussed in the assigned thread.

Given the maturity of theorycrafting at this late stage of WoW 3.x, this post will not go into much detail on gear and talents. The future Cataclysm post will eventually include more detail than this one.

Scope of this post: This post will not cover basics such as defence stat, armour or spell functioning. Much of that is in the FAQ or in the other sites listed below.

Talents and glyphs
For raid tanking, Blood and Frost are the recommended trees. Unholy has its niche, such as Valithria Dreamwalker, but has weaker damage reduction in most situations.

== Blood==

Has the most user-choice, with many raid buffs and different ways to spec.
This in fact makes blood fun in a way; you can personalise it more than the other trees. You can spec into raid buffs, or single-target threat, or survivability.
Damage handling: it has powerful tanking cooldowns (Vampiric Blood, Rune Tap and Will of the Necropolis). Death Strike for self-healing.
Buffs: Hysteria is excellent. Use it on a feral druid, warrior or rogue, in that order. optionally 1 of 2 Abomination’s Might will give you about 75%+ uptime on a single-target fight due to probability.
Bad talents: Bloodworms and Improved Blood Presence should not be taken by a tank.

Specs:
  • Balanced spec, able to AOE, includes Rune Tap. Presumes another player is bringing the 10% AP buff; does not have Abomination's Might.
  • Balanced spec, able to AOE, excludes Rune Tap, includes Abomination's Might.
  • Single-target oriented. For fights where you do not need to provide any AOE control.
  • 5-man spec. Strong AOE. Not a raid spec. Provided for contrast or newer tanks in Heroic 5-mans.

Glyphs:
The best general-purpose glyphs are:
  • vampiric blood (mandatory as a tank),
  • death strike (for threat, does not effect self-healing) and
  • rune strike.

For advanced tanks:
  • Glyph of Rune Tap can be helpful if used intelligently
  • Glyph of Disease, might give you a more comfortable rotation. It's a playstyle choice but has slightly weaker threat than alternatives.

=== Playstyle ===
Blood’s rotation needs to be more flexible because Death Strike and Rune Tap will heal you, and should both be used regularly, but use runes you’d otherwise spend on damaging the boss. You need to use heart strike initially to get your threat lead against dps, then once you’re comfortably ahead you can start to self-heal.

Blood is easier to play with 26+ expertise skill, because you can reliably use more heart strikes.

Single target, opening rotation
IT – PS – HS – HS – DS
DS – HS – HS – HS – HS

Ongoing rotation
IT – PS – HS – HS – DS
lots of DS or HS or Rune tap

AOE rotation
DnD – IT – PS – Pest
DS – BB – BB – DS

Priority
Bear in mind, rune tap and death strike’s priority goes up higher if you’re low on health. The below presumes you're not about to die. Also it's a given that the 5% damage reduction from blade barrier is more important than threat moves.

• frost fever
  • blood plague
  • heart strike
  • death strike
  • death coil

== Frost ==
A very balanced tree. Has the best snap-agro for AOE, excellent single-target threat and a mix of damage reduction talents. Formidable in Heroics and can MT raids too with the same spec, so deserves to be a very popular tree. You can tank with either dual-wield or a two-handed weapon and both are viable. You can use a short disease playstyle, with no epidemic, or longer-diseases; the former is well suited to the howling blast glyph.
Heavy tree means you have little flexiblity in talent choices.

Damage handling: Tank cooldown (Unbreakable Armour) was fixed in 3.22 to become useful. An average tank will take 13% less damage with UA up. Glyphed, they take 15% less. UA at 20s has a longer duration than Blood’s 15. Extra 3% miss-chance is valuable. Also has flat 2% less damage and 6 second longer duration on IBF.

Specs:
Balanced, 2H, short-disease
Balanced, dual-wield, short-disease.

Glyphs
In order of priority:
  • obliterate
  • rune strike or frost strike
  • frost strike, rune strike, unbreakable armour or howling blast.
Glyph of Disease is useless in this spec. Zero tps increase because blood strike and icy touch hit hard.

Glyph of UA: the new glyph is OK, not great (effectively it adds 5% of your armour, making UA a +30% armour talent), but nor is it a waste.

=== Playtstyle ===

All frost specs use the same system, even dual-wield. Frost gets the most threat if you watch for rime (confusingly its proc is called ‘freezing fog’) and killing machine procs. You need an addon or unitframe to put the proc in your face. Combine the two procs if possible by waiting, but at least don’t waste KM on an icy touch.

Priority
  • Frost Fever
  • Blood Plague
  • Killing Machine + Rime
  • Obliterate
  • Blood Strike
  • Frost Strike

Rotation
For a boss: you want two diseases even if you have short diseases.

Single target, two diseases, with epidemic
IT PS BS BS OB (FS)
OB OB OB (FS) {you will have some time waiting for runes to recharge}

without epidemic
IT PS BS BS OB (FS)
IT PS OB OB (FS) {shorter diseases)

AOE
You get a bit more variety in AOE rotations, depending on how many targets, if there’s a melee mob who will come to you, etc. For trash, frost fever is enough, so adjust your rotation.

Rotation for trash:
DnD – HB – BB
IT – PS – Pest – HB – BS

Howling blast glyph (and single disease):
You must think in terms of priority to get the most out of this glyph.
On a boss, you should use two diseases for threat even if you have no epidemic (short diseases).

Single-target rotation:
HB – BS – BS – OB (FS) {always watch for Rime procs and use HB}
OB – OB – OB (FS) {you will have some time waiting for runes to recharge}

This glyph doubles as an AOE booster, making the HB hit targets buffed by the fever it also applies.

AOE rotation:
DnD – HB – BB
OB – OB – BB – BB

== Unholy ==
Unholy has recently been improved.

Unholy Strengths
  • Damage reduction - Bone Shield + High avoidance
  • Raid Buffs - Ebon Plaguebringer is fantastic, and unholy Death Knights apply this debuff to (unlimited) nearby targets very easily.

Unholy Weaknesses
  • Low(er) single-target threat.
  • Cooldown duration: Bone Shield can call off in as little as 8 seconds.

Unholy Builds

Standard
Single Target Rotation - IT-PS-BS-BS-SS IT-PS-SS-SS RPDUMP = RS/UnholyBlight/Deathcoil
Multi Target Rotation - DnD-IT-PS-Pest then TAB-SS/Pest/BloodBoil RPDUMP = RS/Deathcoil

== Gear and stats ==
Threat: Our threat stats are similar to that of a DPS. Expertise and hit have a high threat weighting.
Survival: Gem for stamina in all slots, unless you get a +9 stamina socket bonus per hybrid slot, in which case you could choose to use a hybrid such as hit/expertise with 15 stamina or regal dreadstone. The majority of tank theorycrafters recommend 30 stamina in all cases. Bear in mind with the 30% ICC raid buff, you can safely gem for threat.

3.3 Gear - Final (thanks Fn)

This table is being developed for a "Best in Slot" analysis for tanking. Due to the changing nature of boss fights and incoming damage type/size, it's nearly impossible (and barely useful) to create separate tables for each type of fight. Clearly the sets listed here will be less/more ideal depending on the encounter.

Notes: Due to the recent changes to T10, using 4/5 T10 is strongly recommended.

[TABLE]Slot | Effective Health | Avoidance | Expertise | Hit
Helm| | ||
Amulet| |/ ||
Pauldrons|/| ||
Cloak||/ | |
Breastplate|/ |||
Bracers| | |
Gloves|/ | ||
Belt|| | |
Legplates|| |/|
Boots| | ||/
Ring| | ||
Ring|/| || /
Trinket|/| |
Trinket| | |
Weapon|/ |/ |// |/
[/TABLE]

== Other resources ==

#2 Suno

Suno

Never challenge the throne.

• Guild Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

Saved for expansion.

#3 Arterus

Arterus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

Excellent post, Buck. Thank you for taking the time to put all of this together.

One quick question. The last time I was up-to-date in reading about Frost Tanking rotations, it was implied that a PS-Free rotation worked out to be better threat. Did that end up getting scrapped?

Single Target Frost Rotation
Blood Tap (If no Death Rune):
IT -> BS -> OB -> OB -> Dump
::Repeat::

EDIT:

OP Updated. Please delete this post.

#4 Commidus

Commidus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:30 PM

I would like to add some discussion on effective health;

Here are some ways I have calculated my effective health. What I like about how I did my calculations is they can be done from work, by using wow armory.

My goal is to show people how to work out their effective health so they know how their gems and enchants effect there over all tanking ability. I am aware that I am leaving out threat, which I agree, is a very large part of tanking. I am only focusing on Effective Health.

How I arrived at my Effective Health;

I recorded the following stats from wow armory:

Health
Armor
Dodge
Parry

Add in frost presence

Health 10%
Armor 80%

Also add in Blade Barrier and Frigid Dreadplate if you have the talent (to the best of my knowledge Frigid dreadplate is not reflected on our paper doll)

Parry 10%
Avoidance 3%

The next step in calculating your effective health (as a Death Knight) is to add in your Frost Presence;
(Health as recorded on wow armory * .1) + Health as recorded on wow armory

Armor in Frost Presence;
(Armor as recorded on wow armory * .8) + Armor as recorded on wow armory

Parry with Blade Barrier active;
Parry % as recorded on wow armory + 10%

Then calculate your avoidance;
Dodge + Parry + avoidance (from Frigid Dreadplate if you have the talents)

Then calculate your chance to be hit;
100% - Your total avoidance

Next go to World Of Warcraft Armor Damage Reduction Calculator and input level 83 for mob level and your armor in frost presence. Record your % Mitigation

Calculate your % of damage taken;
100% - Your Mitigation

Now its time to get our Effective Health before mitigation;
Health in frost presence / chance to be hit %

Effective Health after Mitigation;
Effective Health before mitigation / % of damage taken

Let’s use my wow armory for example:
The World of Warcraft Armory
as of 1/30/2009

Health 31157
Armor 16119
Dodge 22.16%
Parry 17.72%

Add in Frost presence;

Health (31157 * .1) + 31157 = 34272.7
Armor (16119 * .8) + 16119 = 29014.2

Add in Blade Barrier

Parry 17.72% + 10% = 27.72 %

Totals in Frost presence and in combat with Blade Barrier up;

Health 34272.7
Armor 29014.2
Dodge 22.16%
Parry 27.72%

Avoidance;

.2216 + .2772 + .03 = .5288 or 52.88% avoidance

Chance to be hit

1 - .5288 = .4712 or 47.12% chance for a mob to hit

Effective Health based off of my avoidance;

34272.7 / .4712 = 72734.932 Effective Health

Mitigation (taken from World Of Warcraft Armor Damage Reduction Calculator, with mob level of 83 and my armor in frost presence of 29014.2)

Mitigation = 63.56%

% of damage taken;

1 - .6356 = .3644 or 36.44% of Health taken after avoidance

Effective Health after mitigation is added in;

72734.93209 / .3644 = 199596.4219 Effective Health

My Effective Health is 199,596.42

For fun I did a few other people that post here just to see where I stood. I hope you all don’t mind.

Hellstrum as armored on 1/30/2009

Stats in frost presence with blade barrier up;

Health 30031
Armor 15925
Dodge 26.13%
Parry 28.48%

Avoidance 54.61%
Chance to be hit 45.39%
Effective Health before mitigation 72778.36528
Mitigation 63.28%
% of damage taken 36.72%

Effective Health after Mitigation 198187.368

Griefknight as armored on 1/30/2009

Stats in frost presence with blade barrier up and Frigid Dreadplate;

Health 26831
Armor 15816
Dodge 26.12%
Parry 28.86%

Avoidance 57.98%
Chance to be hit 42.02%
Effective Health before mitigation 70238.2199
Mitigation 63.12%
% of damage taken 36.88%

Effective Health after Mitigation 190440.3771

Asari as armored on 1/30/2009

Stats in frost presence with blade barrier up;

Health 27731
Armor 16111
Dodge 26.45%
Parry 31.69%

Avoidance 58.14%
Chance to be hit 41.86%
Effective Health before mitigation 72871.71524
Mitigation 63.55%
% of damage taken 36.45%

Effective Health after Mitigation 199905.948

I hope this helps some people out there figure out how effective they are at taking damage. For avoidance tanks I think its very important for us to speak in terms of Effective Health. Avoidance is great, so are hit points. What is the most important is how much damage has to be thrown your way before you die.

If you can keep near the same effective health by gemming and enchanting for avoidance or max hit points then it boils down to your preference. I hope this helps people make a choice on how they want to gear / gem / enchant.

Once again I want to point out this is only half of tanking. If you don’t have agro, you won’t have healers for long. So no matter how much effective health you have, it won’t save you or your raid. Like most things in life moderation is important. But if you don’t have threat issues and you want to find your sweet spot for tanking. My suggestion is to calculate it in terms of Effective Health.

* if anything in this post is inaccurate please send me a PM on these forums and ill fix it. I don’t want to clutter this thread like the other tanking thread has been.

#5 GrizleyCQ

GrizleyCQ

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

I'm pretty sure you're abusing the term effective health there.

Effective health is your hp when Murphy crits you. That is you don't avoid anything. It's a lot easier to figure out your effective health than what you have outlined. You just do the step for frost presence and check your mitigation from armor. Here is a link to the description of the EH theory.

What you're figuring is "Tank points". That takes avoidance into account and it gives a measure of how much damage a tank will take over a long period of time. That alone is really not that useful I don't think.

Another interesting measure besides the (real) effective health calculation was the odds that you would get enough consecutive hits to kill you. It takes avoidance into account and minor increases in health are unlikely to matter, but adding enough hp to survive a third hit when you could only survive 2 before will almost always outweigh any increase in avoidance.

I don't think it takes a lot of theory crafting right now since nothing except 3 drake sarth has a danger of gibbing even a moderately geared tank.

Also in defense of blood spec for tanking. Vampiric Blood is amazing, it's up half the time with the glyph. That means you can rotate IBF and VB for 45 seconds out of every minute. If you're a JC with the crab you can dodge for another 10 seconds every minute, meaning you have a cooldown of some kind up 55 of 60 seconds.

#6 DukeBLT

DukeBLT

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Great post, Buck!
I agree that the DK Tanking Thread is in dire need of an active, updated OP.

I'd love to see 2 things in this post:

1) Suggested Tank Glyphs
2) DK Tank Stat Prioritization

#7 s[orc]ery

s[orc]ery

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

A few points to consider:
1. One clear distinction to make is that Unholy has the best magical mitigation cooldowns of the three deep-tree tanking builds; whereas Frost mitigation cooldowns are primarily physical.
2. Weaknesses of Deep Frost include that it has the least HP of the three trees and it relies on Frost damage for TPS (which is likely to be a downside when tanking future bosses similar to Sapphiron)
3. Advantages of Frost include that it has the greatest ability to generate threat from range (DnD, HB, IT, BB, DC), it has the best controlled burst threat (through using Deathchill and saving Killing Machine procs), and that Acclimation has the potential (pending on future encounters) to be the best spell mitigation talent in game.
4. It should be noted that a Deathknight can reach the highest passive spell mitigation of any tank using Frost Presence (-15%), Rune of Spellshattering (-4%), Magic Suppression (-5%) in addition to non-deathknight mitigation tools such as Effulgent Skyflare Diamond (-2%) and Vigilance (-3%).
5. The spell mitigation and avoidance advantages of a Deathknight make it the best tank for elemental melee strikes (Lava Blaze, Ragnaros). Anti-magic Shell also works against these elemental strikes.
6. Death and Decay is the highest threat per rune (DMGx1.9xFrost Presence) of any Deathknight ability and should generally be prioritized for both single and multi target rotations.
7. In practice I've found Howling Blast to be a significantly better rune dump than Obliterate for Frost single target TPS.

#8 zang1983

zang1983

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

I don't think you should be using OB like that in the standard disease blood rotation, with no points in Annihilation. Thank you for a great post, though.

#9 Oxylos

Oxylos

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:06 AM

words

This didn't seem to take into account base miss of 4.4% on +3, or miss granted by defense, with possible +2 if you're night elf. only mentioned the frigid deathplate.

#10 Tya

Tya

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:52 AM

1) Suggested Tank Glyphs
2) DK Tank Stat Prioritization

1- He included them just click on the build link and you will see the glyphs at the right of the screen.
2- There's a link "basic DK info" at the very beginning of his post, read it.

Enjoy

#11 Guest_Aezoc_*

Guest_Aezoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:18 AM

ery;1081706']
6. Death and Decay is the highest threat per rune (DMGx1.9xFrost Presence) of any Deathknight ability and should generally be prioritized for both single and multi target rotations.
7. In practice I've found Howling Blast to be a significantly better rune dump than Obliterate for Frost single target TPS.

I agree, except for these two. It's more appropriate to say that D&D has the highest threat modifer of any of our abilities, but whether it should be prioritized over other specials is going to vary depending on gear, spec, glyphs, and raid composition. Same goes for howling blast, the relative value of it compared to obliterate is going to shift pretty dramatically depending on your gear and raid composition.

#12 Lujaar

Lujaar

King Hippo

• Allied Members
  • 581 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

For unholy, DnD should easily beat out every other option for single target threat.

I'm calculating threat for DnD and Scourge Strike as follows:

Scourge Strike:

(weaponmin + weaponmax) /2 : base weapon damage
AP * 3.3 / 14 : normalized damage from AP
*0.6 : scourge strike hits for 60% weapon damage
+317 : baked-in bonus damage, with Sigil of Awareness
+158*3 : bonus damage from diseases, with Sigil of Awareness
* (1.00 + (meleecrit+0.06) * 1.30) : crits, assuming Vicious Strikes
*1.13 : Ebon Plague
+120 : bonus threat
*2.0735 : frost presence

Death and Decay:

62 : base damage
+ AP * 0.0475 *1.25 : damage from AP, with 5/5 Impurity
* (1.00 + spellcrit * 0.5) : bonus damage from crits - DnD deals only 150% damage on crit
*1.13 : Ebon Plague
*1.2 : DnD glyph
*1.9 : DnD's bonus threat multiplier
*10 : we want total damage, not damage per tick
*2.0735 : frost presence

Assume you're an unholy tank with 3k AP, 20% melee and spell crit, and a Betrayer of Humanity. If these numbers look a little funny they should; the AP is too low, the crit is probably too high, and the weapon is the highest-dps weapon available because I'm trying to set up a scenario that heavily favors scourge strike. I'm ignoring parries for the same reason.

Anyway, with these stats...

Scourge Strike average threat: 5484
Death and Decay threat over 10 ticks: 14111

Death and Decay is more threat than two Scourge Strikes, at a cheaper rune cost. At levels of AP closer to what we actually have with raid buffs, the difference should be even more dramatic.

EDIT: redid the math after urotas found a couple errors.

#13 DukeBLT

DukeBLT

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

1- He included them just click on the build link and you will see the glyphs at the right of the screen.
2- There's a link "basic DK info" at the very beginning of his post, read it.

Enjoy

1) The suggested glyphs are listed, but not the rationale behind using them or possible alternatives.
2) It wouldn't take up much space to list for example: Avoidance: Dodge > Defense > Parry

I know this information myself. I was more suggesting that the information is important (and succinct) enough to be included in the post for others. I suppose it all depends on the purpose of this thread. I merely meant to suggest information that would be pertinent to a one-stop DK tanking thread.

#14 s[orc]ery

s[orc]ery

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

I agree, except for these two. It's more appropriate to say that D&D has the highest threat modifer of any of our abilities, but whether it should be prioritized over other specials is going to vary depending on gear, spec, glyphs, and raid composition. Same goes for howling blast, the relative value of it compared to obliterate is going to shift pretty dramatically depending on your gear and raid composition.

I don't see any conceivable use of 1B1U1F that could outthreat DnD as any spec. I'm currently frost and unglyphed DnD in a 25man raid with all available buffs ticks for 384 or a value of 7296 threat (before frost presence). In order for HB+BS or OB+BS to even match that the 1U1F would have to crit.

Obliterate needs alot of support (Glyph, Sigil, Annihilation) to match up with Howling Blast and i can't see it being any sort of competition for HB otherwise.

#15 Sylari

Sylari

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, but why that particular blood build you chose? From my experience the most common blood tanking build appears to be 47/14/10 ( at least as far as disease running rotations are concerned ) , given that blood gorged provides unnecessary extra expertise, and lichborne and annihilation are both good tanking /threat tools respectively

#16 urotas

urotas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

Scourge Strike average threat: 6658
Death and Decay threat over 10 ticks: 13691

Death and Decay is more threat than two Scourge Strikes, at a cheaper rune cost. At levels of AP closer to what we actually have with raid buffs, the difference should be even more dramatic.

I only calculated SS threat as 5484 with your values for some reason. I'm not sure where the difference is coming from.

(( 1670 * 1.338 * 1.13 ) + 120 ) * 2.0735 = 5484

You are also assuming using the Scourge Strike Sigil, which is a good idea since the intention was to show a SS favorable situation. Also DnD is slightly higher since Impurity adds 25% of ap and not 20%.

Out of curiousity I calculated what kind of threat values you'd be getting at a situation more favorable to DnD, so 5000 ap, 20% crit, and no Scourge Strike sigil. The sigil adds the damage directly to the tooltips base damage and disease bonus damage. I also included Rage of Rivendare.

SS
758 (Base BoH damage)
+ 5000 * 3.3 / 14 (Bonus damage from ap)
+ 190.5 (Bonus damage without Sigil)
+ 95.25 * 3 (1638 total with 3 diseases)
* 1.13 (Ebon Plague)
* 1.1 (Rage of Rivendare)
* 1.338 (with 20% melee crit rate, or 26% for SS)
+ 120
* 2.0735 (frost presence)
5897 threat from Scourge Strike

DnD
+ 5000 * 0.0475 *1.25 (bonus damage from ap with 5/5 impurity)
* 1.1 (with 20% spell crit rate)
* 1.13 (Ebon Plague)
* 1.2 (Glyph)
* 1.1 (Rage of Rivendare)
* 1.9 (Bonus threat multiplier)
* 10 (total damage)
* 2.0735 (Frost presence)
23197 threat from DnD

So with 5000 ap, 20% crit and no SS Sigil DnD generates as much threat as 3.9 Scourge Strikes. The difference is huge, and not including DnD in any Unholy rotation is sure to generate much less threat. Even if you include the SS Sigil, DnD is still well over 3 Scourge Strikes in average threat generation.

#17 Zungate

Zungate

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Another unholy spec i see used alot is this:

Unholy with Lichborne.

It's quite useful in a raid environment where threat isn't an issue (So not entirely endgame - but at least for raiding. I use it myself.

#18 Guest_Aezoc_*

Guest_Aezoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

ery;1081959']I don't see any conceivable use of 1B1U1F that could outthreat DnD as any spec. I'm currently frost and unglyphed DnD in a 25man raid with all available buffs ticks for 384 or a value of 7296 threat (before frost presence). In order for HB+BS or OB+BS to even match that the 1U1F would have to crit.

Obliterate needs alot of support (Glyph, Sigil, Annihilation) to match up with Howling Blast and i can't see it being any sort of competition for HB otherwise.

From the perspective of a deep frost tank, D&D does do marginally more threat than BS + Ob. With the glyph of Obliterate, glyph of FS, 15 more RP from BS + Ob, GoG, etc the difference between the two isn't massive. Also, maybe I'm just slow this morning, but I'm not having any luck putting together a sustainable rotation with D&D for a frost build. But you're right that D&D seems to be better threat. The difference would be much more significant with the D&D glyph, although I'm loathe to drop one of my current ones.

I'm still trying to figure out how you prioritize HB over OB though. Since neither has a threat modifier, it would seem to me that whichever provides a higher DPS rotation would logically also provide a higher TPS rotation, and the DPS rotations for 2h use Ob. My quick math also supports this (~3500 AP raid buffed, using , factoring in 18% more crit from Annihilation + Rime). The only mitigating factor I can think of is that maybe using a D&D rotation means leftover KM procs due to the lower RP generation/fewer FS, which you'd spend on HB.

#19 Endus

Endus

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how you prioritize HB over OB though. Since neither has a threat modifier, it would seem to me that whichever provides a higher DPS rotation would logically also provide a higher TPS rotation, and the DPS rotations for 2h use Ob. My quick math also supports this (~3500 AP raid buffed, using , factoring in 18% more crit from Annihilation + Rime). The only mitigating factor I can think of is that maybe using a D&D rotation means leftover KM procs due to the lower RP generation/fewer FS, which you'd spend on HB.

Maybe it's just that my gear is terrible, but my HB hits and crits for significantly more than OB on single targets. My weapon's a , so it's got room for improvement, but HB is well ahead of my OBs for single-target DPS, and thus, threat. It's about 150% of my OB damage, roughly. And it's AoE, to boot.

I still squeeze in OBs if I have the runes and my HB is on cooldown, but it doesn't happen that often. And I don't see how an ilvl 213 two-hander is going to make up THAT big a DPS difference between the two, unless I glyph and possibly re-talent (into something like Subversion) just to improve Obliterate. My spec includes most of the generic Frost Obliterate talents; I took Annihalation so I COULD use Oblit when I had a Rime proc without reapplying diseases, Rime itself more for the HB boost than the Obliterate crit bonus, etc, so it's not that I'm deliberately avoiding Obliterate, it just is a secondary choice. It seems like a lot of effort to reglyph and respec to make Obliterate slightly better than HB, when I could make better use of the glyph and talents on other factors. I seem to recall some napkin math that supported this staying true even through endgame gear, but I can't be sure.

I do know it's definitely worse DPS, and thus threat, for me right now. And I can't see reglyphing everything to try and get it to catch up, when I could just use HB instead.

#20 Griefknight

Griefknight

Banned

• Banned
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

So with 5000 ap, 20% crit and no SS Sigil DnD generates as much threat as 3.9 Scourge Strikes. The difference is huge, and not including DnD in any Unholy rotation is sure to generate much less threat. Even if you include the SS Sigil, DnD is still well over 3 Scourge Strikes in average threat generation.

I think that SS works better though, because those 3 strikes will take effect faster then a DnD and I don't know what type of rotation you would do with DnD. You also can't use DnD effectively on multiple raid bosses which makes SS superior.

I already told Buck what spec to edit in for the blood spec part so no need to worry about that.
Can Elitistjerks help with my math homework?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users