• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Nakari

Nakari

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'd also ask what specifically you're trying to mitigate. There's a lot of bad information about some attacks and people thinking they're resistable when they aren't, such as the second tick of soul reaper (which many thought was somehow shadow/physical damage).

Soul Reaper does in fact deal Shadowstrike damage (shadow / physical), though I'm not sure if it's on the first, second, or both damage "ticks". The tooltip for the ability says something completely different than what the spell actually does, but it's simple enough to see in the combat log. However, as there is no physical resistance (unless armor counts as this?), there's very little to gain from discussing that particular spell.

#82 Dancing Wu Li Master

Dancing Wu Li Master

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:05 AM

I'll try that out, thanks.

We were trying to brainstorm mobs easily reachable (EG not mimiron :P) that had dual elemental attacks, we didn't want to use a frostfire mage in case player spells worked differently than mob spells but I think a pet will definitely fall under mob spells :)

The Focus Wizards in the SW section of Dragonblight (the Blue Dragonflight area south of Star's Rest) use Frostfire bolts. They're only level 71/72 though.

#83 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:44 PM

You can use a combination of Thottbot and WoWHead to search for mobs with such abilities.

E.g. how to find the Focus Wizards mentioned above:
  • Go on Thottbot and enter "school damage" in the search field.
  • Click on School Damage (Fire, Frost) and look out for skills without a "Rank" under its name. "Rank" normally identifies player abilities. Let's take the first Frostfire Bolt without "Rank" but with mana cost. Click on it.
  • Now this is where WoWHead comes into play. Note down the spell id of that spell (it's in the URL, here it is 51779). Thottbot uses "thottbot.com/s123456" as an identifier for spell ids in its URL.
  • Go to WoWHead, select any random spell and replace the spell id in its URL with the one you've noted down. Or enter it directly via www.wowhead.com/?spell=51779. I think it's clear how WoWHead uses spell ids.
  • Once you're there, scroll down and look in the "Used by" tab. This tends to be quite reliable.

It's still quite some work, but at least now you'll have a mean to find mobs besides random guessing.

Happy testing.

Stopped Playing

#84 Clarx

Clarx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:55 AM

Narrowing down the constant
If anyone gets any data on Sapphiron or Sartharion with a resistance in the range of 217-221, 338-343, or 506-514, I would love to get a copy of the log or WWS.

Got some samples from doing the Shadowmourne quest (1 wipe):
I used the 3 crafted Armor parts + the crafted ring + CW flask + FrR Aura = 520 FrResist

[16:07:18.437] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 19.768 (Resist: 19.768)
[16:08:55.609] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 22.945 (Resist: 15.296)
[16:09:39.734] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 15.838 (Resist: 23.758)
[16:10:45.078] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul Miss
[16:25:57.640] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 19.462 (Resist: 19.462)
[16:27:14.359] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 23.937 (Resist: 15.958)
[16:29:26.906] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 17.834 (Absorb: 5.735, Resist: 15.712)
[16:29:50.718] Sindragosa Frost Breath Cazul 19.175 (Resist: 19.175)

Only talent used, affecting results: Divine Purpose 2/2 = -4% chance to be hit with spells

#85 Shamgarr

Shamgarr

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

I'm wondering how resistances work in regards to dual elemental attacks.

I'm afraid I haven't really been playing much (or, consequently, checking these forums much), so I haven't really kept up with this for the Icecrown fights. While there's always a chance dual attacks could follow some strange system, it shouldn't be too hard to get a sense of what's going on even without a huge sample size, just by wearing a whole lot of one resist and *zero* of the other (no buffs).

For instance, if you've got >128 of one resist and 0 of the other, and you resist any damage at all, that rules out the lowest-resist-only possibility. Analysis of the resisted/taken amounts should determine if it's still a flat % of the base damage or if it splits it somehow.

I may try to test a bit out of curiosity, and for the sake of completeness since this seems to be the only real source for woltk resistance info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users