• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1237 replies to this topic

#1 Rezdan

Rezdan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:19 AM

Here's where we can discuss the announced upcoming 3.1 changes.

WoW General Forums
Eyonix said:

HUNTER

•Consumable ammunition has been removed from the game. Arrows and bullets no longer stack, but are not consumed. Ranged attack speed bonus gained from quivers and ammo bags will be preserved in a different capacity.
Update:
In our 3.1.0 class updates post, we had announced plans to remove consumable ammunition from the game upon the release of the next major content patch. Our original plans were to change ammunition so that hunters would no longer need to utilize bag space, while adding some new functionality that would continue to make ammunition a compelling element of gameplay. Unfortunately, this intended change will not be completely ready in time for patch 3.1.0.
We still fully intend to move forward with this change when the additional functionality becomes available, and for 3.1.0 we still intend to remove the need for pouches/quivers by greatly increasing the stack sizes on arrows and bullets, and the haste bonus from the bags will be preserved in another fashion. We’ll be sure to inform our players with further updates once they become available.

•A new tier of hunter pet talents have been added. In particular, this allows Beastmaster hunters to improve their damage per second (DPS) with their 51 point talent.

•Hunting Party – this talent has been reduced to 3 ranks and also grants a passive bonus to the hunter.

•Piercing Shots – this talent has been changed. Your Aimed, Steady and Chimera Shots cause the target to bleed for 10/20/30% of damage dealt for 8 sec.

•Sniper Training – this talent has been changed. After standing still for 6 sec, you gain a 2/4/6% damage bonus to Steady, Aimed and Explosive Shot.

•We are also looking to add additional trap functionality to Survival.

Updated with 3.1 Patch Notes:

Ammunition: All types of gun and bow ammunition now stack to 1000. All quivers and ammo pouches no longer provide haste. 15% ranged haste is now built in to Hunter Autoshot.
Call Stabled Pet: This new ability lets the hunter remotely access the stable. 30 min cooldown.
Cunning, Ferocity and Tenacity pets now all have +5% damage, +5% armor and +5% health bonuses. This should make more pet families feel viable, while additional talents have been added to distinguish a pet’s abilities based on its specializations.
Disengage: Cooldown increased by 5 sec.
Pets now inherit more spell hit from the hunter. Pets with magic attacks should not require a player to stack additional hit compared to pets with physical attacks.
Viper Sting re-designed: Stings the target, draining 4% of mana over 8 sec (up to a maximum of 8% of the caster's maximum mana), and energizing the Hunter equal to 300% of the amount drained. Only one Sting per Hunter can be active on any one target.

Survival

Explosive Shot: Base damage lowered by 10%. Attack power scaling reduced by 12.5%.
NOTE: This is just a fix of the tooltip, this change went through in the hotfix a while back.

Pets

Bullheaded now adds 20% damage reduction for 12 sec along with its current CC-removal effect.
Cornered: The crit reduction when this ability is active has been increased.
Feeding Frenzy increased to 8/16% damage up from 6/12%.
Furious Howl (wolf special ability) now stacks with Battle Shout and Blessing of Might, however, it only affects the wolf and hunter. Its effect and cooldown have been doubled so that it provides the same benefit but isn’t up 100% of the time.
Gorillas now have a new family ability, Pummel, which works like the warrior ability and has a single rank.
Grace of the Mantis and Roar of Sacrifice are now also available to Cunning pets.
New Talent: Shark Attack: This new two-rank talent is available to Ferocity pets. It increases pet damage.
New Talent: Silverback: This new two-rank talent is available to Tenacity pets. It heals the pet when Growl is used.
New Talent: Wild Hunt: This new two-rank talent is available to all 3 pet trees. It increases the stamina and attack power inherited from the hunter.
Roar of Recovery cooldown decreased to 3 min, down from 6 min.
Thunderstomp is no longer a gorilla-specific family ability and is now available to all Tenacity pets. It has been reduced to one rank.

Hunter Glyph notes for 3.1:

Glyph of Chimera Shot: Reduces the cooldown of Chimera Shot by 1 sec.
Glyph of Explosive Shot: Increases the critical strike chance of Explosive Shot by 4%.
Glyph of Explosive Trap: The periodic damage from your Explosive Trap can now be critical strikes.
Glyph of Kill Shot: Reduces the cooldown of Kill Shot by 6 sec.
Glyph of Raptor Strike: For 3 sec. after using Raptor Strike, you take 20% less damage.
Glyph of Scatter Shot: Increases the range of Scatter Shot by 3 yards.

#2 Valinnor

Valinnor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:23 AM

A lot of these changes are long overdue and very nice. The piercing shots change has the potential to be very powerful depending on scaling. Arrow propelled traps are what I think trap functionality could mean.

#3 Ryas

Ryas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:23 AM

•Consumable ammunition has been removed from the game. Arrows and bullets no longer stack, but are not consumed. Ranged attack speed bonus gained from quivers and ammo bags will be preserved in a different capacity.

This has been a change we needed for a long time. Hopefully, this means we'll also get another bag slot!

•A new tier of hunter pet talents have been added. In particular, this allows Beastmaster hunters to improve their damage per second (DPS) with their 51 point talent.

So the 51 point talent might now be fully worth it's 51 point ranking?

•Hunting Party – this talent has been reduced to 3 ranks and also grants a passive bonus to the hunter.

Hmm, could they be a little more specific? I'm assuming it'll add something like haste or maybe a mana reduction to explosive shot or steady shot.

•Piercing Shots – this talent has been changed. Your Aimed, Steady and Chimera Shots cause the target to bleed for 10/20/30% of damage dealt for 8 sec.

Interesting, a bleed effect for hunters. Could make MM a more interesting and powerful build.

•Sniper Training – this talent has been changed. After standing still for 6 sec, you gain a 2/4/6% damage bonus to Steady, Aimed and Explosive Shot.

Will it still have the Kill Shot crit chance increase? If not, this seems like it will be a great talent on some fights, and medicore on others where you have to move around a lot.

•We are also looking to add additional trap functionality to Survival.

Pretty vague...
Posted Image

#4 Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:26 AM

Yay for ammunition, although that makes engineering even less of an incentive (infact, was there an incentive?). I generally found Ultrasafe Bullet Machines on the auction house cheaper than I could obtain the mats anyway. I just hope that this is neither a buff or a nerf and that it just means we can save ourselves from buying 50+ goldsworth of ammo after every run. I am looking forward to hearing more about ammo types with either different benefits or perhaps even some epic quest lines ;p

I can only assume the passive benefit of hunting party is increased passive mana regen? I am sure they just nerfed this across the board tho.

Sniper training, I am guessing this just became useless for PVP as well as any fight where we have to move.

Overall these are pretty vague, but omg its new stuff.

#5 Ryas

Ryas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:31 AM

Just thought about something else with the new Sniper Training. Unless they have other plans to do with Trap Dancing, doesn't that talent make it not worth trap dancing? It's either run in and try to get a DPS increase with an annoying mechanic, or stand still and deal 6% more damage.
Posted Image

#6 Drans

Drans

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

Just thought about something else with the new Sniper Training. Unless they have other plans to do with Trap Dancing, doesn't that talent make it not worth trap dancing? It's either run in and try to get a DPS increase with an annoying mechanic, or stand still and deal 6% more damage.

Well ideally you can do both. Trapdancing only takes 2-3 seconds, and then 6 seconds of standing still, about ~20 seconds of the 6% buff and repeat. I would assume they are going to do something about trapdancing, however.

#7 Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

What is also weird - piercing shots seems to have gotten a substancial buff while the other trees really haven't (although what the pet buffs really mean remains to be seen - will they be bm exclusive or perhaps have some synergy with each other?)

If MM is the dps benchmark blizzard are aiming for then the other trees are going to need to keep up.

#8 evlchicken

evlchicken

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

It will be such a relief to not need to farm mats for arrows/bullets every raid. I also like the sniper training change, it means I can safely use it without worry that I'll be out of range of 30yd buffs.

#9 Ryas

Ryas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:43 AM

It will be such a relief to not farm mats for arrows every raid. I also like the sniper talent change, it means I can safely use it without worry that I'll be out of range of 30yd buffs.

It's a much needed change. Missing out on buffs, or having to worry about party members getting my heroic presence was a pretty big pain in the ass.

I still want to know if it will still include the 15% crit chance to Kill Shot. I assume so, but who knows.
Posted Image

#10 Ikuzo

Ikuzo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:44 AM

This has been a change we needed for a long time. Hopefully, this means we'll also get another bag slot!

The way the blue post is worded leads me to believe the will be doing away with quivers.

The purpose of quivers currently are to hold arrows and give a 15% ranged attack speed bonus. If they are doing neither of those things in 3.1, I see no reason for them to exist.

#11 dbsmcfc

dbsmcfc

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:47 AM

Piercing Shots – this talent has been changed. Your Aimed, Steady and Chimera Shots cause the target to bleed for 10/20/30% of damage dealt for 8 sec.

the question I have with this talent is, since in a normal rotation people cast Aim SS and CS more than once during the 8 sec time, will the bleeding effect stack? or will each shot had its own bleeding effect (thus costing 3 debuff slot)? if the bleeding stack it can be seriously OP, but if it doesn't.....the talent then will be pretty underwhelming as no one would wait 8 sec before casting Aim/SS/CS

#12 Berfert

Berfert

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:50 AM

Piercing Shots – this talent has been changed. Your Aimed, Steady and Chimera Shots cause the target to bleed for 10/20/30% of damage dealt for 8 sec.

the question I have with this talent is, since in a normal rotation people cast Aim SS and CS more than once during the 8 sec time, will the bleeding effect stack? or will each shot had its own bleeding effect (thus costing 3 debuff slot)? if the bleeding stack it can be seriously OP, but if it doesn't.....the talent then will be pretty underwhelming as no one would wait 8 sec before casting Aim/SS/CS

Seems to me like it's likely to mean a (more or less) single, constant bleed effect up on the target. However, since you're casting SS so much more often than anything else, it's almost always going to be the lower damage bleed that it does (since it does the least damage).

#13 Ryas

Ryas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:51 AM

I doubt it would stack, that would be very OP. I imagine it will just refresh, unless the damage done is less then the current Bleed. I imagine it will work very similar to Deep Wounds.
Posted Image

#14 whylde

whylde

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:51 AM

It's all pretty vague, i am really interested in the new pet talents, hope they make bm worthwhile. and get some of the so called unnerfs" before the 3.1 patch but history showed me that i cant be too optimistic.

nothing much to comment on, as said before...all very vague and could mean so much, hope gc gets into more details soon.

#15 Quick

Quick

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Assuming that it works along the same lines as deep wounds and ignite, where new applications are added to the previous amount left on the dot, and then recalculated per tick, that seems like an extremely good talent for three points. If it truly ends up being on hit and not crit like the other talents, wouldnt that just be a flat out 30% dps increase to MM specials outside of serpent sting?

#16 Trickytrout

Trickytrout

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:53 AM

Is anyone else worried as to how Piercing Shots will work? Having 3 abilities it procs from will mean constant refreshing of the debuff. Assuming it ticks 4 times over the 8 seconds, this means that it would never even get the chance to tick since a chimera, aimed, or SS will always be used within the first 2 seconds after it is applied.

Edit: This is assuming that it does not stack and only refreshes.

#17 Perforate

Perforate

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

That piercing shots had better be handled with care. It could very very easily be completely laughable and a joke, but could just as easily be completely balls to the walls overpowered.

I hope the passive bonus on our Hunting party is significant enough to keep us from just slapping points over in the BM tree instead. I would love to be a replenishment source, but I just cant bring myself to do it when we have so many sources in the raid and its lowering my dps.

#18 Esoth

Esoth

Bald Bull

• • Guide Author
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:22 AM

Speculation on the validity of each proposed change is always fun, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have several comments on each of these that I wanted to chatter on about - but with our limited knowledge I think the most important thing we can consider right now is whether any of these changes are going to change the relative value of stats. Are any stats going to become more valuable and make it so that we want new items for an ideal set of gear heading in to Ulduar?

As far as I can tell, none of the hunter specific changes seem to have any major impact on the stats we gear for. Obviously the information is pretty vague at this point, it depends on how bleeds scale with AP, etc, but for the most part it looks like we are still looking at the same best in slot items. The change to boss armor (look at the comments about warrior's sunder armor) seems to suggest that ArP will be valued a little higher for some abilities, since ArP still scales better the more of it you have, but it has so far to go to becoming a decent stat that I would be surprised if our overall gearing attitude changed. I'd love to hear dissenting opinions if anyone has them.
Alts: http://www.esoth.com/wow/my-characters

Ion: Along with asking why we fight, and learning that our true enemy is war itself, a major theme of the Mists of Pandaria has been killing turtles

Hunter spreadsheet: http://www.esoth.com...t_download/file

#19 Rezdan

Rezdan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:42 AM

The change to Sniper Training is quite welcome, though I do hope the Kill Shot portion is still active.
For the rest, I'll have to wait for more information before I can really assess their effect.

Be sure to keep a close eye on the SpiritRegen/Replenishment changes too, just in case they tweak more than just the OOC regen. They've also given a Replenishment to Warlocks similar to that of Shadow Priests.

And, yes, as Esoth pointed out we're still missing enough specific details to really identify effects on dps and the subsequent changing of stat values.

#20 Gonkish

Gonkish

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:43 AM

All that I care about right now is that I can go back to not caring about ammo again. That is the best news I've heard from Blizzard in a long time.

How can you help?
I can shoot things and then make my pet move toward them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users