16 replies to this topic

#1 farkew

farkew

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

lets think outside the box here.

Here are a few Hybrid specs that have come to mind since they announced Siphon life and Corruption combining.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft +1

Has anyone else got any Ideas? Has anyone tried any of these specs? If so what kind of numbers were you getting with them? What kind of rotation did you use or propose to use?

#2 dcpwns

dcpwns

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

In the first build I saw you get DS so I'm guessing your going to sac your pet for the dmg?If so, this has been said and said again that your pet brings more than 10% dmg in any given fight. I don't have a problem with thinking outside the box but anything evolving DS seems to be a waste imo.

The third spec I do not see why you picked up emberstorm unless it was just for immolate, unless you plan on switching incinerate and shadowbolt around to keep up SE the whole time.

#3 farkew

farkew

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:31 AM

In the first build I saw you get DS so I'm guessing your going to sac your pet for the dmg?If so, this has been said and said again that your pet brings more than 10% dmg in any given fight. I don't have a problem with thinking outside the box but anything evolving DS seems to be a waste imo.

The third spec I do not see why you picked up emberstorm unless it was just for immolate, unless you plan on switching incinerate and shadowbolt around to keep up SE the whole time.

Thats fair enough, however it does allow use of infernal/doomguard without any dps loss from not using your normal pet.

The third spec, the focus is on getting to SnF, just kinda hard to avoid fire talents on the way to SnF thats all.

In my opinion the 3rd spec has the potential to compete with other popular specs. I can see some massive scaling to SB with this spec as well as decent shadow dots as well as strong immolates.

#4 turturin

turturin

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:06 AM

Thats fair enough, however it does allow use of infernal/doomguard without any dps loss from not using your normal pet.

The third spec, the focus is on getting to SnF, just kinda hard to avoid fire talents on the way to SnF thats all.

In my opinion the 3rd spec has the potential to compete with other popular specs. I can see some massive scaling to SB with this spec as well as decent shadow dots as well as strong immolates.

Unless I'm missing something, none of the announced changes apply to a greater degree to the specs you cite than to the common specs people are playing at the moment.

All these hybrid specs have been shown through previous simulations to be less effective than the aforementioned "common" specs. There is no actual data (i.e. WWS) that refutes these simulated calculations.

I don't see a reason why the 3.1 patch would change the overall view of these hybrids: they're fine, but there are better PvE options available in every tree.

#5 bananarchy

bananarchy

Do we still have Immortal guys? Guys?

• Members
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:13 AM

It is probably too early to begin deciding on what effect 3.1 will have on hybrid specs or any spec for that matter. Blizzard announced in the same blue post that mentioned the merging of SL and Corruption that they will also be bringing in many new talents to all of the trees which will greatly effect how one specs post patch.

#6 farkew

farkew

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:53 AM

Unless I'm missing something, none of the announced changes apply to a greater degree to the specs you cite than to the common specs people are playing at the moment.

All these hybrid specs have been shown through previous simulations to be less effective than the aforementioned "common" specs. There is no actual data (i.e. WWS) that refutes these simulated calculations.

I don't see a reason why the 3.1 patch would change the overall view of these hybrids: they're fine, but there are better PvE options available in every tree.

Basically im one of those people that HATES the current affliction spec. Unfortunately for me and anyone like me, affliction tends to be our highest dps spec :(. So i try to think of anything else that may work. Hence i fell in love with Meta/Ruin and have done reasonably well with it (6.3k dps on PW). So im just looking for any other potential specs that are NOT affliction.

My reasoning behind some of those hybrid specs are 2 things, 1 corruptin + SL combination, 2 ISB crit debuff. I realise the cookie cutter affliction spec covers all this, but id rather quit the game than play it.

#7 kaib

kaib

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

The same blue post that announced the merge of siphon life and corruption also said there are a lot of changes coming in the warlock talent trees. Sounds a bit early to talk about 3.1 specs to me.

#8 Meriana

Meriana

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:03 PM

# Several other warlock talents have had their ranks reduced, their effects changed or removed. This list includes but is not limited to Demonic Empathy, Shadow Embrace, Eradication, Suppression, and Pandemic.
# Additional new talents have been added.

Definitly to early to talk about after 3.1 specs.

#9 Darkmantle

Darkmantle

King Hippo

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

I looked at variants of the 31/0/40 builds when I first hit 80 and they always ended up below on the dps of affliction and even 0/41/30 on leulier's spreadsheet and removing siphon from the rotation isn't going to make enough of a difference to change that.

#10 menion

menion

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

I'm running a hybrid build. Its an all-around build. 21/45/5.

I was #1 in Kel on 25 Nax last week, and #2 this week.

WoW Meter Online - Combatlog Replay in Engrish

On PTR its lagging behind 0/41/30 by about 200 dps. This in my opinion is a very good build for those not hit capped. Low on threat, siphon life helps return lost health from life taps (could be more important in 3.1 with the changes to healer man regen), excellent solo and 5 man capability. Some fights like Heigan it obviously lacks on, but so does any other FG build.

#11 Copola

Copola

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:09 AM

So i was messing around with a few specs on the PTR today and after testing affliction out (w/o the proper glyphs mind you) i've found a pretty drastic drop in dps. I went from 3500 to about 3000 from live to PTR.

So I decided to try an imp/incinerate spec and actually had quite an increase in dps from it. I peaked at 3800 dps and although these aren't the same wws or recount, here is a sample. (mind you i was drunk and lagging when this set was taken)
Wow Web Stats

My average I found was 3600 dps, the spec is very gear dependent considering the better gear you have the less points you are required to put into suppression. This is the spec/glyphs I was using

http://talent.mmo-ch...00&version=9626

here is a SS of my dps on recount (again drunk/lagging and suffering from some dps loss from staying in combat due to final dot ticks on dummy)

http://i36.photobuck...2809_005655.jpg

In short, I think this is the spec I will be going for 3.1

#12 blgdinger

blgdinger

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

lets think outside the box here.

Here are a few Hybrid specs that have come to mind since they announced Siphon life and Corruption combining.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft +1

Has anyone else got any Ideas? Has anyone tried any of these specs? If so what kind of numbers were you getting with them? What kind of rotation did you use or propose to use?

I'm not sure how nobody else here noticed but you're using wowhead's talent calculator which is completely void considering the first spec you posted has 1 point in a talent that is being removed from the game (AKA Demonic Sacrifice).

Also I went this spec at the beginning of WoTLK (not that exact spec because contagion is absolutely pointless...) and I can tell you that it was absolutely terrible. It yielded bad numbers and really wasn't even that much fun because it's back to shadowbolt spamming.

#13 Eitri

Eitri

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

Here's the spec I'm leaning towards:

21/15/35

This is pretty much a PVP-only build and the idea is to concentrate on Immo/Searing Pain burst damage while keeping the SL/SL survivability. Another side effect is that I plan to use spells that don't give away my position.

Is this crazy or do you think it could work? One thing I can't figure out is what pet I'd use for this. Maybe VW for the health? Imp but leave it phased somewhere on stay for extra confusion?

#14 Shayo

Shayo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

21/15/35

This is pretty much a PVP-only build and the idea is to concentrate on Immo/Searing Pain burst damage while keeping the SL/SL survivability. Another side effect is that I plan to use spells that don't give away my position.

Is this crazy or do you think it could work? One thing I can't figure out is what pet I'd use for this. Maybe VW for the health? Imp but leave it phased somewhere on stay for extra confusion?

I was just looking at things like this last night. I was originally leaning more towards a 21/42/8 build (can't link to it while I'm at work but it should be fairly obvious). I think in the end I decided I'd like to try something like Bane + SL + UA (41/15/15). The damage mitigation should be nice, and you don't lose the fear talents or the UA fear cap, plus your instant cast SB procs from nightfall will have a lot more meaning. I think you'll see a lot more variance in the top pvp builds since that second tier destro talent (molten armor?) just screams "I can help you beat rogues in arena!". As far as the pet goes, just use the fel puppy since you can lock out a paladin bubble that way.

#15 Eitri

Eitri

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

I think UA would be the main thing I'd miss from my current deep Aff build. It's another spell that doesn't have a cast object and so doesn't give away your position if you're hiding behind a tree or hill. I feel like I'd be able to burn people down better by spamming Searing Pain from a hiding spot, though. And the survivability talents in Demo seem pretty nice.

#16 Lominen

Lominen

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

21/15/35

Whats the point in running glyph of immolate? If you are aiming at burst you'll definately see less of it from using that glyph. It doesnt benefit Conflag either, so i'd prolly prefer Fear or SL instead.

#17 Eitri

Eitri

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:26 AM

Good point. I'm not sure how much I'll like glyph of SL after the change. The extra healing could be nice but not necessary. Maybe I'll go Shadowburn for the end of fight burst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users