Photo

Warning for Psy: 2. All opinions should be stated as succinctly as possible.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Tehax

Tehax

Pretty Pony

• Moderators
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

Post: Imbalance in Tanking Classes (AKA Avoidance, HOOOO)
User: Psy
Infraction: 2. All opinions should be stated as succinctly as possible.

Administrative Note:

Message to User:

No need to make three consecutive posts. Unless you go over the character limit include everything in one post in the future.

Original Post:

From a healer perspective, I have never understood this avoidance scales exponentially point. While yes I understand your example of how the percentage avoided is difference between 70-80% and 10-20% is different, the amount of actual damage reduced is still the exact same.
Say a boss hits for 10k every 2 seconds (5000 dps), and you have 10% avoidance. You avoid 1 hit every 10 swings on average, putting your damage taken at 4.5k dps. You bump your avoidance up to 20% and now take 4000 dps, a 500 dps difference.
Now let us say you have 70% avoidance, you'll be taking 1.5k dps. At 80% you'll be taking 1k dps, still a 500 dps difference.

Maybe this viewpoint is due to me being a druid healer, so healing is more of a how much hps do my hots need to do to cancel out a predicted dps income, so if anyone could point out what I've missed, it would be much appreciated.

Lets say you're taking 5,000 DPS with your current avoidance, and you need to be taking only 3,000 DPS in order to survive. If you start out with 0% avoidance, you need to increase your avoidance by 40% to decrease it by 2,000. However, if you start out with 90% avoidance, you only need to increase your avoidance by 4% to decrease incoming DPS by 2,000.

While it's true that each percent of avoidance reduces incoming damage taken by a static amount of DPS, the reduction in terms of percentage of current damage increases quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users