• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Krag

Krag

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:32 AM

Since the post is long enough as it is, you can go ahead and skip right down past the encounter description.

An oversized egyptian-like princess (of the non-Maraudon kind) lies on a large chest in the middle of a cathedral sized room. Set in a circle along the walls are twelve coffers. The adventures that has stumbled onto her tomb tries to open the chest to rob it of what valuables it might contain - phat lewt! - but this of course awakens the princess, the coffers opens and a mummy drags itself towards the raid from each.

These mummies will attack the last person to aggravate them making them easy to manage. They hit like the wrapped up dead things they are for about 50 hp through armor each five seconds or so. Being really dead and purely animated they don't have the brains to cast any kinds of spells or use any kind of tricky abilities, so they just slowly drag themselves around trying to hit whatever hit them last. Also being very dead already and enchanted with very, very powerful wards to serve as guardians of the tomb, they cannot be killed or damaged.

The princess herself needs to be tanked by four or more people due to stacking non-removable armor debuffs. She has no abilities that clears or reduces hate but she hits very hard physically.

Every 30 seconds the princess calls for the power of whatever dark god she happened to worship back before she was entombed. She is hit by a stream of pure unchained godly power from the ceiling of the room. This power makes her reflect every weapon blow and spell hit back on it's origin. She also channels some of the power to her mummy guardians. While channeling the princess of course cannot also stomp anyone, so for the duration no one needs to concern themselves with her. The power surge hits the mummies and fills them with the Rage of Oompaloompa or some such. In this state of rage the mummies start to move very fast, hit very hard - 2000 hp on plate and shield every second - but can of course *drumroll* be removed. The mummies are not immune to any crowd control spells, but are highly resistant to them and the instant they are filled with rage, they break any and all kind of impairing effects - ultimate berserker rage, coming to a fury tree near you.

--> Skip to here <--

Or in other words; since the mana cost increase for curing and dispelling stuff seems to be here to stay with no mentioned changes regardless of the implications, I want some damn encounter that requires mass dispelling/purging/felhunter eating.

At times at Blizzard it seems like the talent/skill balancing don't actually know where the raid design people are located, and certainly there don't always seem to talk between the two camps when it comes to the implications on raid designs other changes might have.

The dev chat revealed that Blizzard designers were of the opinion that purging/curing/dispelling were too inexpensive and this has now been changed, but most certainly encounters hasn't previously been designed with any intent that curing spells weren't meant to be spammed. As far as I know bad guys like Lucifron, Gehennas and Chromaggus didn't start out using their various debuffs in a more reserved fashion only to be giving free reign wih debuffs since the encounters were too easy because of the low cost of curing spells. This mana cost increase seems to be aimed mostly at PvP, though I don't really see how at least battleground curing/cleansing/purging will be affected much, and perhaps future encounter designs.

These spell changes do affect Horde to a much higher degree than Alliance since so far the encounters that employ mass spamming of debuffs are well suited for Paladins to play cleansebots in, meaning these and any upcoming similar fights get tilted more towards the Alliance than they already are. And unlike the first version of the revamped Improved Lay on Hands that also had potential to skew the raiding balance between the two sides, which was caught before any damage was done, this one seems to be going through.

Yes, Horde will be getting a new Totem of Tranquility, which is supposed to bridge the gap between the sides at current, but of course it comes in an implementation that isn't any where near as powerful or flexible as the Paladin blessing. I don't have a big issue with that though, I'm sure Blizzard are wary of overdoing it when it comes to balancing. And if encounters subsequently show that Horde and Alliance are too far from being on equal footing when it comes too future aggro delicate fights, I'm sure they will either buff or change the totem to make it right.

Apologies for the immensely long and rambling post, but I wouldn't at all mind hearing other opinions on Blizzard's attempts at balancing the two factions and what seems to be a lack of internal communication when it comes to changes that just turns it right around again when it comes to that same balance.

#2 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:45 AM

Poison-based encounters in AQ will go a long way towards that end.

That said, I agree with you about how it seems like the class/skill guys and the raid guys live in separate worlds. The brief Improved Lay on Hands debacle was clear evidence of that. That talent went in without any raid-oriented dev ever looking at it, guaranteed.

#3 Jo_

Jo_

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 09:56 AM

I'm all for flaming alliance for dumb thing like bos etc but in this case, surely both factions get the same number of debuffs that needs to be dispeled? that they have two classes that can do it just means that our shammies will have to heal more and priests focus more on dispeling instead of doing 50/50 like alliance palas and priests. aoe removing of poision might be very handy aswell, who knows. (maybe you guys acctualy do? I'm from eu so we get a template gimp char on a laggy server with 6000-10000 in que so it's not possible to test new content).

My guess is that the only affect of this is that some mc bosses just became unintentionaly over powered. I don't think chrom will be that much harder, just a bit. expecting to see a quick fix for some mc bosses as soon as new mc guilds starts complaining.

#4 Rabbith

Rabbith

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:36 AM

I have only played a horde character to its mid 30's, and for the most part know ALOT about the Alliances' abilities and racials ect. From what I can see the alliance has gotten some "weak" PvP oriented racials , and much better PvE oriented racials, i.e. humans (faction rep increase), while the horde have gotten more of a PvP oriented racials. i.e tauren (warstomp) and orcs (stun resist). Then you take a look at Night Elves and u have shadowmeld (weak ass stealth that someone 10 lvls below can see through) and whisp form (faster when dead) how useless is that unless your a nub who dies every 2 minutes. I would tend to agree that paladins play the role of backup heal/cleanse bots, and buff bots, but then they arent NEARLY as offensive as shamans. I think that bliz was aiming for the shaman and the paladin to be opposites, shaman are offensive and have alot of options at their disposal with the totems, while the paladins are the same with all their buffs only in plate, with less dps.

I would really love to see blizzard completely redo is the racials. Giving each faction one PvP oriented and one PvE oriented racial. This is just my opinion and you guys may completely diasgree, but like i said , these are my thoughts on the subject.

#5 Fjord

Fjord

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:47 AM

From what I can see the horde has gotten some "weak" PvP oriented racials , and much better PvE oriented racials, i.e. humans (stealth detection), while the alliance have gotten more of a PvP oriented racials. i.e tauren (herbalism)

Fixed it for you.

Blizzard didn't intend shamans and paladins to be that different. They needed a healer/tank that could cure poison and disease, just made two different approaches.

#6 Dajjal

Dajjal

Banned

• Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:17 PM

WILL TURNER I FUCKING LOVE YOU
HAVE MY BABIES

ps: i posted this on the realm forums also, my love is that deep.

That hot little twin you knowm M-bomb

#7 Greybone

Greybone

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:41 PM

:stop:

#8 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hm. Having played Horde for over a year including lots of Molten Bore, I've never seen anyone try a Grounding Totem for raid bosses. Does it absorb AoE debuffs at all?

I remember when they changed it so AoE Fears wouldn't get absorbed (right?- I used to use this to stop the AoE Fear in the Temple of Atal'Hakkar), but my memory is fuzzy.

But anyway, I have a feeling Poison and Disease Cleansing totems will be extremely useful in Ahn'Qiraj (especially given the fact that you don't have to sacrafice a useful totem for them unless you have Mana Tide) and we'll see a lot of Alliance whining on the R&D forum.

Edit - Spelign

#9 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:36 PM

Grounding Totem will absorb the following abilities in Molten Core:
Flamewaker Protector's Dominate Mind (Luci adds)
End of list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users