• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#41 Kurosuke

Kurosuke

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

While improving my UI I stumbled upon this addon: Debuff Filter.

Basically it lets you specify which debuffs are shown on your target. For instance, I have the addon set to display only Expose/Sunder and FF, so there are no more distracting caster debuffs that cluster the screen. There's also an option to only display your own debuffs, I am going to test on Malygos if it can single out your own engulf stack, which imo would be awsome.

#42 Gus

Gus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

I just want to point out a few more things about PowerAuras, it will also track debuff types so you can have an indicator to if your target is poisoned (will be somewhat unnecessary for 3.1). You cannot set it to check if your target is bleeding however, you can set it to have an indicator to when an ability is usable so you set it to indicate when 3.1 HfB is usable (works on the PTR).....

That's a good idea, however you can have it indicate if a target is bleeding, it's just not simple. You could set up 1 icon in the same position for each of the bleeds it could detect from various classes... garrote, rupture, mangle, etc etc. It's a bit of work but it would basically tell you if the target is bleeding, you just wouldn't know what particular debuff is causing the bleed.

Either way, good stuff.

#43 Len

Len

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

While improving my UI I stumbled upon this addon: Debuff Filter.

Basically it lets you specify which debuffs are shown on your target. For instance, I have the addon set to display only Expose/Sunder and FF, so there are no more distracting caster debuffs that cluster the screen. There's also an option to only display your own debuffs, I am going to test on Malygos if it can single out your own engulf stack, which imo would be awsome.

One step ahead of simple debuff-filter might be Auracle. I've run some tests with it (just today got hint that this might be the Demon-replacer for 3.0), and this seems very useful. With quick glance you can check what buffs you have/don't have, and what debuffs target is missing. There is lot to configure, though; just check RogueCraft's Buffs-sheet if you want to see all what I'm after.

#44 gyrinth

gyrinth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

That's a good idea, however you can have it indicate if a target is bleeding, it's just not simple. You could set up 1 icon in the same position for each of the bleeds it could detect from various classes... garrote, rupture, mangle, etc etc. It's a bit of work but it would basically tell you if the target is bleeding, you just wouldn't know what particular debuff is causing the bleed.

Either way, good stuff.

Or you can set a single power aura graphic that is activated by several different debuffs. Honestly, I think PowerAuras already does a "Bleed" type debuff.

On topic for the thread: there are several mods that allow for streamlining indication of basic debuff/buff categories (e.g., poisoned or not, bleeding or not), which is something else we need for good performance (as one might infer from above, I use PowerAuras with some heavy configuration). This is especially true for the new overlapping buffs - I care that I have Rampage or LotP, but I not too concerned about which it is. I care that target mobs have CoR or FF up, but not which one. So using a mod that determines that "At least one of X type of buff/debuff is up" cuts down on screen clutter and what we have to have stored in our heads.

Offhand, I know there are some other mod options to accomplish this (I even vaguely one that guesses what buffs/debuffs should be present, then presents a single box that is green if you everything you should, red otherwise), but I don't recall them.

#45 Andeh

Andeh

The Titleless

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

What mods/macros are people finding most effective to handle announcing kicks (WITHOUT spamming if you button mash)? I consider this a forgotten yet important part of a Rogue's raid interface, and have been thinking about this a lot lately, having tried the latest version of Iron Council on the PTR. It looks like there's a very old mod called Aftercast that lets you write a macro along the lines of:
/aftercast /p Kicked %t, Kenpachii next!
/cast Kick

However, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly stress test it, and would like to see if it can handle announcing to multiple channels (like both whisper and party). I'm also trying to rewrite an old Drums of Battle mod/macro combo to accommodate my design criteria, but it's going slowly since its been years since I coded anything.

Also, on the topic of general Rogue UI design, I'm surprised more people don't have their combo points on their player frame. To me, this seems logical for the following reasons:
1) During normal DPS cycles, you're principally concerned with your energy, combo points, and what move you have to do next. Just like you try to keep your buff/debuff indicators in a condensed but clear format, it would make sense to keep your CPs & energy close to each other.
2) By moving CPs near to your energy, they are also by association near to your health. Thus your eyes are more likely to quickly notice changes to your health, improving survival reaction times.

#46 Riposte

Riposte

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

I have tested event Horizon, SnDcommander, and NtK out of all of them I preferred NtK for the sole purpose that its very neat and clean on my UI setup but I have a problem with it. I know this mod works but for me I think Natur Enemy Cast bars is Overriding it because Natur will display my SnD, rupture and HfB but NeedtoKnow even after I have locked the bars in they do not show my selfcasts buffs or debuffs.

*Fixed*
I found out that you can bar any skill with a cooldown including trinkets thanks for the help guys!

#47 dinesh

dinesh

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Natur will display my SnD, rupture and HfB but NeedtoKnow even after I have locked the bars in they do not show my selfcasts buffs or debuffs.

Every time this has happened to me, it's because either I have the player/target toggle set wrong, or I have the buff/debuff toggle set wrong.

#48 ShadowEric

ShadowEric

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

With all this talk of bleeds and showing certain debuffs, I went ahead and built that list of bleeds, their ranks and spell IDs. So regardless of which mod you use, that should be enough info to satisfy any of them.

I believe this to be accurate, however, please do tell if you spot a mistake (particularly the spell IDs). I may not be aware of an obscure bleed triggered by some random ability, trinket, set bonus, who knows what else... I'm also not familar with hunter pets and only found 2 bleeds for them.

For the future and/or additions (or even to create your own custom debuff watch list for alts...etc), please note that using wowhead and filtering for Mechanic: Bleeding is highly inaccurate. I found some bleeds outside of that category. I even found some class talents/abilities listed as uncategorized. You should also be aware that spell IDs can play tricks on you. The ID of the resulting debuff on a target is not always the same as the ID of the ability that triggered the bleed. For example, Pounce (Druids) has 2 effects: a stun and bleed. The stun debuff has the same spell ID as the druid's ability, the bleed has a different one. Garrote is another one (secondary effect being a silence), but in that case, it's the silence that has a different spell ID. I'm assuming wowhead can be inaccurate for mechanics other than bleeds too.

It also appears Mangle is enough to enable us to activate HfB. Confirmation needed.

Wrapping this in CODE tags so as not to make a huge post.

[list][*]Druid
[list][*]Lacerate
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 33745
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 48567
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 48568[/list]
[*]Pounce
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 9007
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 9824
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 9826
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 27007
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 49804[/list]
[*]Rake
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 1822
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 1823
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 1824
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 9904
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 27003
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 48573
[*]Rank 7 Spell ID: 48574[/list]
[*]Rip
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 1079
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 9492
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 9493
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 9752
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 9894
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 9896
[*]Rank 7 Spell ID: 27008
[*]Rank 8 Spell ID: 49799
[*]Rank 9 Spell ID: 49800[/list][/list]
[*]Hunter
[list][*]Piercing Shots
[list][*]Spell ID: 63468[/list]
[*]Ferocity Pet
[list][*]Cat
[list][*]Rake
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 59881
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 59882
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 59883
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 59884
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 59885
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 59886[/list][/list]
[*]Raptor
[list][*]Savage Rend
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 50498
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 53578
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 53579
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 53580
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 53581
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 53582[/list][/list][/list][/list]
[*]Rogue
[list][*]Garrote
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 703
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 8631
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 8632
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 8633
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 11289
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 11290
[*]Rank 7 Spell ID: 26839
[*]Rank 8 Spell ID: 26884
[*]Rank 9 Spell ID: 48675
[*]Rank 10 Spell ID: 48676[/list]
[*]Rupture
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 1943
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 8639
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 8640
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 11273
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 11274
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 11275
[*]Rank 7 Spell ID: 26867
[*]Rank 8 Spell ID: 48671
[*]Rank 9 Spell ID: 48672[/list][/list]
[*]Warrior
[list][*]Deep Wounds
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 12834
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 12849
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 12867[/list]
[*]Rend
[list][*]Rank 1 Spell ID: 772
[*]Rank 2 Spell ID: 6546
[*]Rank 3 Spell ID: 6547
[*]Rank 4 Spell ID: 6548
[*]Rank 5 Spell ID: 11572
[*]Rank 6 Spell ID: 11573
[*]Rank 7 Spell ID: 11574
[*]Rank 8 Spell ID: 25208
[*]Rank 9 Spell ID: 46845
[*]Rank 10 Spell ID: 47465[/list][/list][/list]

#49 Kain52

Kain52

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

I'm also joining in the IceHUD party, one of my "must have" addons.

And on the note of timers I've been using RoguePowerBars (Updated) while it doesn't seem as fancy a couple others that have been posted, it tracks everything I need for my play style (SnD, various CDs, Mangle, etc). In my screenshot below you can see it in action under the IceHUD bars.

Posted Image

#50 natox

natox

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

Has anyone found an ICD Tracker for your trinkets? I don't find anything.

#51 Padruthor

Padruthor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

Procodile is pretty customizable and does the job. It comes with Audio warnings as well, which is a huge plus in my eyes.

#52 Eggi

Eggi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

The most important thing for a Rogue ui (and imo for every melee class, because you have to be much more carefull than someone standing far away from the boss) is that you don't waste space on your screen.
It is not needed to display information twice (or even more often as in a few of the above uis). You can use the same bar for your deadly poison and for the ticks (a little spark that goes through the bar for the ticks should be enough to tell you when the tick will come).
Also wasting space by showint the debuffs of your targets with your unitframes and some other mod that filters them is useless.
I also think it is not a good idea to spread the information around. Puting the bars together is the best thing you can do.

I personally use CompactBars because it gives me exactly what I need (comes also from the fact that I have written it)... gives me every information in a extremely condensed form so that I don't need to look around.
(Combines internal cooldowns, cooldowns, dots/debuffs.., buffs and bossmods)
I have put it near to my player unitframe so that I can easily watch my health, energy and CPs.

#53 Guest_alreadytaken_*

Guest_alreadytaken_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hello!

I find bars useless for timing. They do nothing but overcomplicate it. You all look like... healer alts!
This is what i used to have.

For HfB-Mutilate perfection :
- Get Satrina Buff Frames (SBF).
- "/sbf throttle 0" (thaddius wipe protection)
- Create two custom buff frames, one for your own debuffs on your current target (from center to the right on screenshot), and the second one for self buffs with an expiration sound (from center to the left on screenshot)

#54 ieatpaperbag

ieatpaperbag

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hello!

I find bars useless for timing. They do nothing but overcomplicate it. You all look like... healer alts!

- Create two custom buff frames, one for your own debuffs on your current target (from center to the right on screenshot), and the second one for self buffs with an expiration sound (from center to the left on screenshot)

I realize not everyone is the same, I used to use a similar method as you are using TellMeWhen and found that I had to focus on the numbers on the icons too much whereas when I was using bars I could really just glance at them and have a good idea of the status of whatever I was tracking and have a better overall situation awareness during a fight.

#55 Eggi

Eggi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hello!

I also don't think that the general bar display is really usefull as it eats up to much screen space because the size of the bars is normaly not really usefull as it can't be used to compare things.
The following screen shows the area that is important for me in combat when I need information about timers and I don't really need to look at any text timers (the addon is able to show the time but I don't need it) because in neraly every case you are only interested in what happens in the next ~10 seconds and which cooldowns will be available and what runs first out... SnD or Rupture. (DP is not activated as I don't use it)

Posted Image

#56 Ermurazor

Ermurazor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:05 PM

I been playing with UI mods since I started to raid 25 mans and found the default UI way lackluster to it.
I'm always looking to tweak and improve my own UI, with two mains goals:

1) Easy readable information.
2) Lightweight, low memory, low cpu usage addons.

So I started to digging trough many addons under many categories, to found one I liked. Is not a easy job, because you need to play extensively with options, and pay a visit to many sources to get the addons that cover one feature you want.

I quick found how important is the placement of stuff on your screen, to become easy readable and show the right information when you need. Also your screen need to be clear, sometimes it looks like people just start installing addons and forget to stop and configure them. Seriously, crap all over the screen is ugly, and the giant black bar covering the bottom 1/4 of the screen is pretty terrible.

This is my actual UI:

Posted Image

On this screen I identified all addons I use by name for easy info. Is pretty self explanatory and all of them can be found on wowinterface

I know its not a perfect job, so id like to receive any suggestions/criticism of how i can improve it. :)
-----------------------------------------

Edit: I received a lot of PM's asking about my Ui, so I am going to write down my list of addons I dint put on original screenshot.

Bartender4 Action Bar replacement.
kgPanels Create frames and panels.
PitBull 3 Unit Frames replacement.
Chatter Chat enhancement addon.
Buffalo Customizing buff display
Minimap Button Frame gather up all of your addon minimap buttons.
Chinchilla For Minimap.
ButtonFacade Skins action bar & buffs.
ButtonFacade: Caith skin for ButtonFacade I use.
OmniCC For action bar CD's.
InfoPanel Bottom info. bar
Also, I am using SharedMedia with Hal Texture Compilation (See the readme inside zip) for textures and borders.

#57 sedrikk

sedrikk

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

I really like some of the recommendations for UIs that have been presented to this point. I have had a hard time getting a ui that is minimalistic but also shows me all of the info I need. I am the raid leader for my guild, and GM. So I keep track of raid buffs, timers on major cooldowns like rebirth, boss abilities, raid health, etc. So my individual performance often takes a back seat to the overall performance of the raid. And i lost count at how many times i stop paying attention to my character and check to see what the raid is doing only to die to some random aoe or environmental damage that i should have been able to avoid. Screen real estate also becomes cramped with all the things i track, so finding a good place for everything and still allowing me to see when i am about to get destroyed by a void zone is important.

#58 ieatpaperbag

ieatpaperbag

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

I know its not a perfect job, so id like to receive any suggestions/criticism of how i can improve it. :)

I imagine you already have a reason for not doing so, but I'll suggest it anyways. It seems you like to keep your screen as clear as possible, unless you're a clicker you should consider hiding all of your action buttons you already have a mod to track your cooldowns (ForteXorcist), though I don't see evasion or sprint on the bar in this particular shot (I'm guessing you're only using it to show cooldowns that you find most important).

#59 Wookiechunks

Wookiechunks

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

I'm not sure how many of you realize it, but if you like the look and feel of Elkano's BuffBars, it is extremely customizable in terms of what it can display. Many individuals seem to be looking for an alternative mod that monitors various buffs/debuffs/cooldowns on yourself/your target, and EBB is able to cover all those bases if it's filter and white/black listing functions are used properly.

For example, in the screen I have here (older pic with many differences from my current UI, but still exemplary of the capabilities of EBB), I use it to display lots of information in regards to buffs/debuffs for myself and my target.

The bars in the corner of my screen show all my buffs.
Top-right bars in reference to my character show all useful short-term buffs to myself that I like to keep track of, such as Adrenaline Rush, Bloodlust, etc.
Bottom-right bars in reference to my character show rogue-inflicted debuffs on my current target, such as DP stacks, Rupture, etc.
Left bars in reference to my character show debuffs currently afflicting me.
Posted Image

If you take the time to configure EBB properly, it can be very useful in terms of displaying various bars for your gameplay experience. Plus, this has the added bonus of being contained in one addon, rather than having to mishmash various addons and their utility in order to obtain your desired effect.

Just my two cents on the matter.

#60 dascott

dascott

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

The only problem with a well set up UI is THIS winds up happening. Gotta love tunnel vision.

Nothing to add other than, um, try to remember to look around every now and then to remind yourself there is a game going on other than the cooldown bars, heh. Oh, and a lot of abilities without cooldowns aren't on my hotbar thanks to the wonderfulness that is bindpad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users