• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1574 replies to this topic

#1 Boethius

Boethius

THE DON

• ♦ Administrators
  • 4778 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:25 AM

Welcome to the Shaman Simple Questions thread. This thread is for all your simple questions which you expect to have simple answers and thus do not require their own thread.

Note that all forum rules still apply: we said simple questions, not stupid questions (which have no place on these forums). You're still expected to make a reasonable effort to find the answer yourself by searching and reading the threads and making use of spreadsheets and any other tools that may be available. If, however, you're fairly confident that your question is not easily answered with available information, but don't think it will generate sufficient discussion to require it's own thread, this is the place to ask.

#2 Hornbreakerz

Hornbreakerz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi, yesterday I found a template here, to calculate my weapon speed EP, to put in LootRank. But today I cannot find it, even though I've searched for every possible search word I could come up with, I still haven't been able to find it.

Does anyone know the template, or can anyone give me a link to the template?

#3 hozzer

hozzer

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

You might be looking for this:

To approximate an AEP value for Weapon Speed, I used the sim with my current values to determine the dps increase from adding .1 to the weapon speed. I then divided that amound by the DPS value of 1 AEP to get an appoximate value for .1 weapon speed, then multiplied that by 10 for Lootrank. These numbers should be in the right ballpark for weapon speeds of 2.5-2.8, which is primarily what I am interested in. The results I've gotten are fairly consistent with current consensus on best weapon choices thus far.

To attempt to express the math:
d=DPS value of .1 Weapon Speed
a=DPS value of 1 AEP
d/a*10
In my case:
6/.33*10 = 181.81 AEP for Main Hand Weapon Speed

edit: http://elitistjerks...._discussion/p8/ post 184, by yours truly :P

#4 Hornbreakerz

Hornbreakerz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

Yep, that's the one I was looking for. Thanks :)

By the way, what thread/page is that one in?

Edit: Ok, thanks.

#5 Zifna

Zifna

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Anyone have a list of the new coefficients for our different spells? Lightning Bolt/Lava Burst/CL/Flame Shock(does the glyph impact the coeff at all?).

Also, anyone know why they gave us two primary dps abilities that abbreviate to LB?

#6 Xoya

Xoya

Bald Bull

• Allied Members
  • 1476 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

Anyone have a list of the new coefficients for our different spells? Lightning Bolt/Lava Burst/CL/Flame Shock(does the glyph impact the coeff at all?).

Also, anyone know why they gave us two primary dps abilities that abbreviate to LB?

Along these same lines, does anyone know the coefficients for our heals? I'm trying to do some theorycrafting for resto shamans and the only tested coefficient I can find for -any- heal is on wowwiki, and that's 162% for healing touch.

#7 Junox

Junox

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

I do not know the coefficients, but I have seen something odd today: though my Chain Lightning is hitting for around 1600, I've seen a few crits well over 4,000 (one for 4,444, another for 4200ish). I've also seen my Flametongue Weapon crit for over 600 (it hits for 200). I don't know if this is a bug or if it is just another change.

Edit: (in response to the post below mine)

This would explain it, as I was fighting quite a few scourged trolls in Grizzly Hills.

#8 Ghando

Ghando

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 1341 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

There are buffs and debuffs that you'll see on Northrend mobs (Rabies - Spell - World of Warcraft springs immediately to mind) that increase your crit damage.
I write a humor blog: http://idropthings.blogspot.com

#9 Radditz

Radditz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

what glyphs will you suggest for a static shock build? http://talent.mmo-ch...130331131231051

currently i have WF, LS, LL Glyph (using FT offhand currently quite often)... but im thinking about the SS glyph...
any maths here?
thank you very much!

#10 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29830 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

You definitely want the SS glyph. Get rid of the Lightning Shield glyph, it's a much lower DPS increase.

#11 Gadoh

Gadoh

Just a little bit off

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Does anyone know if the scaling on Feral Spirit is working correctly, and what the AP coefficient is?

#12 Damericus

Damericus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

How much hitrating do we enhancement shamans need at level 80? (Also answer in % since I'm currently level 78.:()

#13 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29830 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Does anyone know if the scaling on Feral Spirit is working correctly, and what the AP coefficient is?

They are not scaling at all, and from what I understood from beta they aren't going to scale with AP, they'll scale with stamina and Hit Rating.

How much hitrating do we enhancement shamans need at level 80? (Also answer in % since I'm currently level 78.:()

This is posted in the ThinkTank enhancement article. This thread really shouldn't be used as a way to avoid reading established facts from the ThinkTank.

#14 Sabyn

Sabyn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hope this question is chill for this thread, I haven't seen anything post-wotlk specifically about shaman professions, and I assume a lot of us are thinking the same thing: what professions would make sense for a shaman, or is it really too early to say which is "best"? The main things making it difficult for me to pick one is spec. I am currently leveling up and am skinning/mining and specced enhance. I am most likely going restoration once I hit 80, and want to pick professions best for that, but it'd be nice if it were good for enhance as well. I am leaning towards LW and JC or enchanting. LW is appealing for the equipment enchants, but I'm not really sure if there's going to be any useful bop items for all specs.

So yeah, basically just wondering if picking LW/enchanting/JC are all safe choices for all specs. I think they should be, but its a big investment and I'd like some feedback.

#15 Mem

Mem

King Hippo

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:36 AM

Since I don't think there are really any shaman specific benefits coming from professions since the gains have been pretty much streamlined. Due to mana constraints one might consider alchemy from resto point of view but the stone is not nearly as powerful as it was before, at least from my point of view.

For completeness: http://elitistjerks....fession_thread/ is probably one of the best resources on this topic right now.

#16 sovelis41

sovelis41

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1898 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

There is a nice summary of WotLK Prof benefits in the Resto TTT thread.

[fe] Link if you're feeling lazy: http://elitistjerks....an_restoration/
You pay for the whole chair, but you only need the edge.

#17 fandros

fandros

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

Does Duel Wield Specialzation affect spell hit also?

#18 Toots Hepcat

Toots Hepcat

Care for a jelly baby?

• Members
  • 1343 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

Does Duel Wield Specialzation affect spell hit also?

No. It also does not effect your hit when wielding a 2-hander.

But you should not wield a 2 hander.

As for best profession: I personally feel most shamans will take advantage of dual spec, and thus should consider professions with flexible buffs. I personally am sticking with enchanting and blacksmithing, as you don't get much more flexible than two extra gem slots.

#19 Rhaegal

Rhaegal

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

As for best profession: I personally feel most shamans will take advantage of dual spec, and thus should consider professions with flexible buffs. I personally am sticking with enchanting and blacksmithing, as you don't get much more flexible than two extra gem slots.

In addition to being highly flexible, Blacksmithing eventually pulls ahead in terms of raw output. From what I've seen from a strictly enhancement EP value standpoint, most professions are pretty equal early on, but when epic gems become available, the extra slots will increase the value of BSing. Of course, there may be new epic BoP JC gems for raiders, new raiding shoulder enchants for inscriptionists, etc., to compensate, but I don't think we know of any yet.
Stand back! I'm going to try SCIENCE!

#20 Gadoh

Gadoh

Just a little bit off

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

They are not scaling at all, and from what I understood from beta they aren't going to scale with AP, they'll scale with stamina and Hit Rating.

So they changed their minds? Thats odd, I read the beta forums regularly and never saw a post saying they aren't going to. The only one I remember was shaman were reporting they still didnt scale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users