• Please log in to reply
1025 replies to this topic

#21 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hm... both of those things are within the scope of this addon. I can go ahead and add those in with an option to enable them or disable them in the options. I'm still not keen on the idea of putting up cooldown timers for them, as that's something better handled by another addon. Recommending spell usage based on your other ability cooldowns is what this addon is all about though.

In the case that the conditionals for both SS and DP are met, which would take priority? Would it be a matter of mana? Let's say... all abilities are on cooldown, mana is at 70%, time left on SS is 10 seconds. Recommend SS?

Same situation, this time you are at 30% mana though. Recommend DP instead?

Let me know and I'll see if I can tack that on.

#22 Ranjurm

Ranjurm

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:33 AM

Why not allow people to choose which they want to be prioritized via a togglable setting? On most fights you will want to prioritize DP over SS but there will be some where you will want SS to be up as much as possible.

#23 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

Why not allow people to choose which they want to be prioritized via a togglable setting? On most fights you will want to prioritize DP over SS but there will be some where you will want SS to be up as much as possible.

Special settings are nice, but I can never fill every need there. I prefer to still leave it up to the player to modify their priority to fit the needs of a specific fight. This mod is based off of a feral druid addon called Face Mauler. It does basically the exact same thing. I don't use Face Mauler while raiding though... it's too static. There are too many situations. Yes, I'm saying that if I raided on a Ret Paladin, I wouldn't even use my own addon. This addon fills a very nice niche for a large majority of ret paladins though. When writing this addon, I had target dummies in mind, not bosses. The extra features for bosses were something I threw in to make the mod a lot more useful for the majority of people without cluttering it up. I'd like to keep that fairly simple approach to it.

If you find that your needs go a bit beyond what this mod offers, check out Event Horizon. I use this mod for raiding on my feral druid, my affliction warlock, and leveling my alt paladin. It takes out the handholding but gives you the information in a better format than just cooldown timers.

#24 Arthaal

Arthaal

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I think the priority of DP over SS will probably depend on the mana regen situation we're faced with in Ulduar. Early tests indicate we shouldn't be struggling for mana (most likely mana positive with a basic rotation and all raid buffs/debuffs), so, in a 25-man raid, I'd probably prioritize SS over DP - especially given that the conditional on SS is 15s remaining duration.

Gaps in the rotation should come up every 20-30 odd seconds in a FCFS setup, so prioritizing SS should guarantee it's up 95% of the time. On the other hand waiting on DP should still leave you with 70% of it's peak mana return. Also, a dead paladin deals no damage and SS is worth quite a lot of mitigation from AoE... if you find yourself running mana negative, you should have a minute or two to realize this and prioritize DP for yourself.
Percent modifiers R'US

#25 Ranjurm

Ranjurm

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:26 PM

There is the issue of mana regen outside of perfect 25 man settings. There are a lot mana regen buffs you are liable to be missing outside of 25 mans.

#26 Arthaal

Arthaal

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

Which is precisely why I specified 25 mans... In 10 mans, 5 mans, I'd probably want to prioritize DP, but without seeing the true state of mana return when the realms go live it's tough to say whether it'll be necessary or not. 70% DP return might be more than enough to keep going in all but the longer fights.
Percent modifiers R'US

#27 Delita

Delita

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

If you don't mind, maybe just have it say "Extra GCD" when there's time for one, allowing the player to decide what to do with it, whether it be an AoW FoL, SS or DP etc.

#28 Yozshurah

Yozshurah

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

I might be wrong, but I thought AW FoL resets swing timer?

#29 vorda

vorda

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1101 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

I might be wrong, but I thought AW FoL resets swing timer?

They fixed that this patch.

#30 Exemplar

Exemplar

The One-Eyed Man

• • Guide Author
  • 1824 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Just a suggestion - just increase the priority list 2 slots and let people throw DP and SS in where desired (hopefully the last two priorities in either combination). Then a setting for when to care about SS (you don't want to be told to refresh it 5 seconds after you just refreshed it) - i.e. buff must be under X seconds. That once again takes the intelligence out of the mod (having it determine which and when to use DP and SS) and leaves it nice and simple as you already have it designed.
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."

#31 Jakarutu

Jakarutu

Glass Joe

• Allied Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:39 AM

Thanks so much for the mod its really excellent. I was wondering if this mod realizes that with cons glyph (which a high% of us have) the cooldown is 8 seconds but the spell lasts 10 seconds. Is this mod having us cast cons when we should be using say exo because it doesnt know cons is still up?

edit: whoops disregard, thanks for the hard work again.

#32 Maylander

Maylander

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:03 AM

Glyph of Consecration increases both the duration and the CD by 2 seconds, so it lasts 10 seconds, and has a 10 second CD (instead of 8/8).

#33 Protovic

Protovic

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hi there!

I am currently playing around with this new GCGS rotation, and I think it's great! I was just wondering:

When I use this prioritylist: CS > HoW > Judge > DS > Conc > Exorcism > HW

, I will some times have to use my Exorcism, when there is 0,5 sec CD left on CS. This will trigger the GCD, so I have to wait 1,5 second for CS (which is the first priority), because I used Exorcism (which is the sixth priority) 0,5 sec too early.

So for you theorycrafters out there. Is this a part of the GCGS-rotation, or will there be situations, where you will have to wait for the first priority?

- Protovic

#34 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

I will some times have to use my Exorcism, when there is 0,5 sec CD left on CS. This will trigger the GCD, so I have to wait 1,5 second for CS (which is the first priority), because I used Exorcism (which is the sixth priority) 0,5 sec too early.

Hit Exo, the best way to do top dps is to always to be using some ability. The only time when you should wait to cast an ability is if you are low on mana so need to use Judgement over other attacks.

#35 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

I'm getting some reports of the addon no longer working. The icons show the correct priority, but once you enter combat, they just flash and disappear. I haven't had a chance to test this just yet, but was wondering if the addon IS working for anyone since the patch. Thanks.

#36 greatrichie

greatrichie

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

I've noticed that once you get into combat, the icons disappear when they switch. They'll come back if you wait, but it's not working like it used too.

#37 Elrendil

Elrendil

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:01 PM

I was practicing on a target dummy on Wed and did not have any issues with the combat icons disappearing.

#38 smafdi

smafdi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

I tried using the addon last night, and it worked fine until everything went on CD, after that icons would disappear only to re appear when something wasn't on CD..... Basically making the mod imo useless until it gets fixed.

#39 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

I tried using the addon last night, and it worked fine until everything went on CD, after that icons would disappear only to re appear when something wasn't on CD..... Basically making the mod imo useless until it gets fixed.

Um... what you describe to me sounds a lot like the way it's supposed to work. It will only recommend an ability if it's off of cooldown. If all your abilities are on cooldown, it won't recommend one and you are free to use that global for something like AoW healing, Divine Plea, or Sacred Shield.

For everyone else... I've looked into it a little bit and realized that I added a talent check for having more than 50 points in Ret in order to show the mod. It's not functioning as well as I'd like it (flashes the mod when you change targets while not Ret spec'd), but that could be related to the problem some people are reporting. For those of you that are having the problem, which of your spec's is currently set to ret?

The test I'm doing has the primary spec as ret and the secondary as prot. Everything but the flashing while prot spec seems to be working fine.

#40 Omniro

Omniro

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

Thanks a lot for the addon :)
I modified it slightly to have a seventh slot for an additional ability (in my case divine plea).
But there isn't really sooo many gc left to use it, so it's not displayed that often really ;)
I'm also trying to make it show a FoL symbol when I have the Art of War Buff up, but that's not currently working.
Would greatly appreciate any help you can provide me with (via PM or so).
Keep up the good work

PS: You should maybe factor in that some rets use JoL rather than JoW nowadays

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users