• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

#41 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:40 PM

Found the bug. The addon checks for talent points spent in the ret tree, and only checks the 1st talent spec from the looks of it. I just changed it to check if the player knew the Crusader Strike ability and expanded the check so that the icon's wouldn't flash in and out on a target change while not spec'd ret.

Omniro: JoL vs JoW is just a cosmetic difference as far the addon goes. They share a cooldown, and the JoW icon is only that... an icon. Adding the option to select it, or the ability to detect which is being used, would be a whole lot of work to change the color of the icon. ;)
Adding a new frame for the Art of War buff is a pretty good idea. Personally, I would use Power Auras for that. It's functionality is a lot better... and it's a lot prettier. I'll PM you some info regarding adding the frame if you're still interested in it though.

#42 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

I am getting errors when using the secondary spec (non-Ret), error on line 453

#43 Omniro

Omniro

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

Maybe because they changed the API:

Talent Functions
The 3.1 spec switching code introduces 'talent groups' which are sets of talents and glyphs. These are numbered starting at 1.

* NEW - numGroups = GetNumTalentGroups(isInspect, isPet) -- Gets how many talent groups are available
* NEW - groupIndex = GetActiveTalentGroup(isInspect ,isPet) -- Get the groupIndex of the active talent group.
* NEW - SetActiveTalentGroup(groupIndex) -- Set which talent group is active.

The following existing API's have changed to provide talent group and talent preview support:

* UPDATED - link = GetGlyphLink(index [,talentGroup])
* UPDATED - enabled, glyphType, glyphSpell, iconFilename = GetGlyphSocketInfo(index [,talentGroup])
* UPDATED - name, icon, pointsSpent, background, previewPointsSpent = GetTalentTabInfo(tabIndex, isInspect, isPet [,groupIndex])
* UPDATED - name, iconTexture, tier, column, rank, maxRank, isExceptional, meetsPrereq, previewRank, meetsPreviewPrereq = GetTalentInfo(tabIndex, talentIndex, isInspect, isPet [,groupIndex])
* UPDATED - tier, column, isLearnable, isPreviewLearnable, ... = GetTalentPrereqs(tabIndex, talentIndex, isInspect, isPet [,groupIndex])
* UPDATED - link = GetTalentLink(tabIndex, talentIndex, isInspect, isPet [,groupIndex [,isPreview]])

These new API's support preview talent management, when groupIndex is not specified it defaults to the active group:

* NEW - AddPreviewTalentPoints(tabIndex, talentIndex, points, isPet [,groupIndex]]) -- Add preview points to a talent
* NEW - points = GetGroupPreviewTalentPointsSpent(tabIndex, isPet [,groupIndex]) -- Gets the number of points spent in a tab
* NEW - points = GetPreviewTalentPointsSpent(tabIndex, isPet [,groupIndex]) -- Gets the number of points spent overall
* NEW - points = GetUnspentTalentPoints(isInspect, isPet [,groupIndex]) -- Gets the remaining points
* NEW - LearnPreviewTalents(isPet) -- Learns the preview talents for the active talent group
* NEW - ResetGroupPreviewTalentPoints(isPet [,groupIndex]) -- Resets all preview talent points
* NEW - ResetPreviewTalentPoints(tabIndex, isPet [,groupIndex]) -- Resets a table's preview talent points

I think the current version (or the one you have) has some problems with recognizing your spec correctly.

#44 Odin30

Odin30

Banned

• Banned
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Not sure if its a violation in here but thank you for your work on this mod, appreciate it very much, i dont use it exclusively but it gives me the visual cues in my vision so i always know whats off cooldown and what to use.
Thanks

#45 Gergon

Gergon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

If all your abilities are on cooldown, it won't recommend one and you are free to use that global for something like AoW healing, Divine Plea, or Sacred Shield.

- Was thinking maybe add an options to check this on/off.. So basically it would show the next dps ability that comes available in right priority, instead of nothing... due to the fact that you can already see the cooldown of the abilities people would be able to see that they can manage to pop a DP before it becomes ready etc... I know I would prefer this option over the current... In the current one it feels as if the ability comes as a shock, because it only shows when its actually ready making me waste minor-yet-precious time :)..

I'm not sure if this is only me experiencing it, or im bugged, or the addon is supposed to work like this... But sometimes it is like the addon is confused as to which ability is the best to use: sometimes an ability, say Judgement, show up as next, a second later it dissappears leaving no ability next, and then returns as DS... Sometimes the ability also just switches straight to another ability.. The jumping around of the abilities makes it very confusing to watch :)

Please don't misinterpret my comments as demeaning you're addon, I think it's great and I'm just trying to be constructive :)

#46 Enlog

Enlog

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

Great addon Thaeryn, could you add in support for protection paladins please?

#47 SwordSa1nt

SwordSa1nt

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:54 AM

Helpful tool, but most of the time it dosen't take in account the global CD when suggesting an ability, or it would suggest it when its still not off cd, and another ability is.

#48 Omniro

Omniro

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

It should factor in global cooldowns (according to code). Maybe you could specify in what situations it recommends what ability instead of what other ability?
It could even be that it doen't factor in haste for the spell-gcds (e.g. exo and conc).

#49 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

@SwordSa1nt - It should take into account your actual global cooldown. I had previously just used a 1.5 second timer and it caused the predictions to jump around really badly as higher priority abilities came off of cooldown. As of right now, it simply pulls the global cooldown off of your Retribution Aura. If your GCD is hasted, that will show up as well.

@Gergon - Make sure you've updated to the newest version. If you're using an older version that didn't take into account the actual GCD, you could definitely be having a few of those problems. Also, abilities shouldn't pop in as soon as they are available again. You should get some warning as they are coming off of cooldown, at least 1.5 seconds I believe, so if it's blank, you have time to use anything else you may need. If a high priority ability comes off of cooldown, it will replace your current icon with that one, which can sometimes throw you off a little bit. If you hit the ability that was previously recommended, then you are doing it right. If you were doing something else (AoW heal, DP, Salv, SS) then you want to use the new ability that's now showing up. Basically, hit whatever button it shows, and if it happens to change, change the button you're hitting. The logic behind it matches what has been proven in the retribution thread already. You want to try to keep that GCD constantly spinning... don't wait for another ability.

#50 Heck

Heck

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Used this last night during our continuation on Mimiron. Invaluable tool. Let me keep an eye on my character instead of looking at bars waiting for abilities to come off cooldown.

I did notice that it would occasionally "go off", but like has been said above, I assumed that it just meant everything was on CD.

Being able to add in AoW or Sacred Shield as the lowest priority would be nice, but not totally necessary. I've just macro'd my Sacred Shield to spam whisper me when there's 10 seconds remaining... keeps it from every going down. Of course, when things get dicey and I spam the button to make sure it's up, then I get a ridiculous amount of whispers. Other than that, I've been very impressed with the mod so far.

#51 Elrendil

Elrendil

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

The behavior when all the abilities are on cooldown is a bit funky. It currently displays nothing in the active slot and the next slot when all abilities are on cooldown and then an ability will suddenly pop up with maybe .1 or .2 seconds left on its cooldown so it's tought to react.

I think the ideal thing to do here would be to always show the following abilities in both of these slots. If the next active abilities are coming up in say 2 and 2.2 seconds the icons should be shown with the cooldown shadows reflecting these times.

As some others suggested some extra slots for other common paladin abilities would be great too.

Great idea for a mod by the way.

#52 Meranoth

Meranoth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:34 AM

I'm still very used to manually watching cooldown and handling clash resolution with a milisecond timer helping me out, but I decided to give this addon a tryout. Hillarious acronym, by the way.

To see the full range of the addon, I disabled my traditional bars (bartender) that had my spells on it and played with the addon. There were a few instances when all abilities were on cooldown and there was no "next cast" slot (as mentioned by the above poster). The other thing I played with was with timing priorities when they would refresh. For example, when an ability finished on its cooldown (say Hammer of Wrath at 1 sec until cooldown completion) and everything but Exorcism was on cooldown (2+ seconds), using Exorcism removed Hammer of Wrath from the "next cast" and "cast now" locations until another ability finished its CD.

This is absolutely an amazing addon for people starting off as a retadin or playing with it as their offspec. One of the most interesting features is how it considers GCD clash on cooldowns.

#53 Paul

Paul

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:22 AM

I know for a fact that if a higher dps ability is coming off cd .1 seconds from now, I'm going to wait for it. Especially if there's a huge DPS difference. The only time I would hit the ability that's already off cd asap would be if the two abilities were extremely close DPS.

FCFS doesn't always apply.

#54 RevokeRepent

RevokeRepent

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:48 AM

Just wanted to take the time to say thanks, I've been having a little bit of a rough time adopting to my new FCFS rotation, this thing has been amazing for me.

#55 rldolph79

rldolph79

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

I know for a fact that if a higher dps ability is coming off cd .1 seconds from now, I'm going to wait for it. Especially if there's a huge DPS difference. The only time I would hit the ability that's already off cd asap would be if the two abilities were extremely close DPS.

FCFS doesn't always apply.

You probably could have made an argument pre-3.1 about waiting that extra .1s for judgment to come off cd, but ret abilities are all a lot closer in damage than they used to be. Even pre-3.1 the math showed that waiting even .1s would ALWAYS result in a loss of dps. While you can do whatever you want on your character, it's not a good idea to come around and try to claim the currently accepted best method of dpsing is incorrect without any math to back it up.

Hard math>>>>>>>Opinions

FCFS ALWAYS applies. An extensive amount of time was spent by the authors of the various ret spreadsheets to prove that this is the case. Since you haven't shown anything other than your opinion with no math, it's probably safe to say that everyone else is better off sticking with the method that the math previously proved was best. If, however, you have done the math, please post it in the ret thread, because the math wizards over there would love to see it.

#56 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Updated.

Did some more work on the jumpiness of the suggestions. I think I've ironed it out pretty well now. Also, added a longer term suggestion when everything is on cooldown. If you use your last ability, and everything else is on cooldown, the icon will go blank only during the GCD to indicate that there are no abilities within the next GCD to recommend. It will then show the next ability to come off of cooldown as the suggestion.

I think I'm going to go ahead and add in both SS and DP as options 7 and 8 in the priority for those people that want it there. I haven't had a lot of time to work on it between work and raiding, but hopefully I can have that, plus a couple of other little things I want to do, sometime in the next week.

There still might be some small issues with the "next" priority icon, especially when all abilities are on cooldown. This is just because of the basic way it's coded (the same algorithm as the current priority - 1.5s for the GCD). I don't particularly watch that icon much, so if it does anything too strange, let me know.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

#57 Heck

Heck

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:40 AM

Something happened with the latest build...

Using the agreed upon FCFS priority (CS, HoW, Judgment, DS, Consecrate, Exo) I was having Hammer of Wrath pop up in the middle of my rotations no matter what the mob's heath was at. So if during a fight Judgement, DS, Consecrate or Exo were still on CD then it would show to use Hammer of Wrath until Crusader Strike was ready to be used.

It's really hard to explain what was happening. The disappearing of the UI seemed to be happening less than before, but this seemed to be taking it's place.

#58 RevokeRepent

RevokeRepent

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

Something happened with the latest build...

Using the agreed upon FCFS priority (CS, HoW, Judgment, DS, Consecrate, Exo) I was having Hammer of Wrath pop up in the middle of my rotations no matter what the mob's heath was at. So if during a fight Judgement, DS, Consecrate or Exo were still on CD then it would show to use Hammer of Wrath until Crusader Strike was ready to be used.

It's really hard to explain what was happening. The disappearing of the UI seemed to be happening less than before, but this seemed to be taking it's place.

Had the same issue.

#59 rea123

rea123

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:54 AM

The HoW issue occurs when all else is on cooldown. The first thing the code does is check for any spells off cooldown, or coming off within one GCD. This test ignores HoW if the spell is unavailable. The next part of the code then looks for the spell with the shortest cooldown of the ones you have prioritised; it doesn't make use of the HoW availability, but since immediately after casting the previous spell HoW gains a GCD cooldown value, it automagically becomes the "soonest available" spell, at least until its GCD expires, or another spell pops into GCD range.

I corrected this by putting the final "HoW soonest" code block in another "howavail == 1" conditional, and that seemed to help; it was then displaying a blank when everything was cooling down, which is better, but not quite right. In addition to this, when determining the spell with the shortest cooldown, each instance of "if <spell> < how" should become "if <spell> < how or howavail == 0".

With these changes in place, that is one seriously sexy addon! That training dummy's gonna hurt tomorrow...

EDIT: I cocked up the cooldown fix on the forum - rather than "and howavail == 1", it should read "or howavail == 0". The correct version is what I tested against; the incorrect version is merely what I posted to the world (now fixed).

EDIT the second: Removed suggestion to mail me for updated file - was intended for author, not general use; I have no right to be distributing modified versions of the addon.

#60 Thaeryn

Thaeryn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for looking into that rea123. I noticed that error after I had started adding in new priorities for DP and SS. I've also added a couple of other configuration options for showing the mod on viable targets, always while in combat, or only on boss targets.

I've ran into a couple of other bugs so I don't have the new version ready to go just yet, but I'll hopefully be releasing it later today or tomorrow with the HoW fix as well. Sorry about letting that one slip through.

EDIT:

Finished the update. Here are the changes/fixes:

- Added 2 more priority slots and support for Divine Plea and Sacred Shield.
- Added conditional options for mana to use Divine Plea and time left on Sacred Shield before refreshing.
- Removed "blank" spot in the rotation suggestion. Suggestions should now be very fluid with almost no jumpiness. The only jumps that I found occured when you were out of GCD (as another, higher priority, ability comes off of cooldown) or when you have been below the mana threshold for Consecrate and you rise above it, making Consecrate instantly available.
- Fixed calculations for Hammer of Wrath. It now does an additional check for target health before considering it for a long term suggestion.
- Added "Show On" option, allowing you to only show the addon on a "Viable Target" (the previous behavior), while "In Combat" (even if not targeting anything), and on "Bosses Only" (any mob with a skull instead of a level).
- Split the configuration screen into a main configuration page and a priority sub-page.
- Fixed usage at lower levels. Once you have Divine Storm, you should be able to use this addon, as long as you don't set a priority for a spell you don't know (Sacred Shield, Divine Plea).

A couple of things I haven't been able to test extensively are the "In Combat" option and using the addon while off-spec'd as Prot or Holy. If you run into any issues, please let me know (preferably via PM if just reporting an error message).

Thanks and enjoy.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users