• Please log in to reply
816 replies to this topic

#41 Topround

Topround

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

We didn't realize the heart damage passed on to XT for a good hour or so of attempts and so only a couple of the melee were attacking the heart a bit. We got him down to 1% this way. As soon as we realized what we were doing wrong, he died the next attempt.

I think the fight is tuned fine if we can nearly kill him without even using the heart mechanic in our Nax gear. On the plus side, I'm sure that practice will help us when we try for hard mode.

#42 Harwin

Harwin

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

We tried Ignis for a while last night and I think we've generally got a handle on the fight - so I'm not looking for general advice, just trying to ask a specific question.

I know rooting works on the constructs. Does anyone know if Freezing Arrow does? (Odd that it would work inside a flaming scorch pillar but hey, chains of ice does). It seems like it would function as an adequate root assuming you could still stack heat.

#43 Cortabre

Cortabre

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

We didn't realize the heart damage passed on to XT for a good hour or so of attempts and so only a couple of the melee were attacking the heart a bit. We got him down to 1% this way. As soon as we realized what we were doing wrong, he died the next attempt.

I think the fight is tuned fine if we can nearly kill him without even using the heart mechanic in our Nax gear. On the plus side, I'm sure that practice will help us when we try for hard mode.

Yeah, we had no idea heart damage transferred over doing our 10-man, but we actually managed to kill him with 10 seconds to spare (with full 25 man gear, that is). So, it's certainly possible to kill him without heart dps if you overgear it significantly. We learned this overnight and in our 25-man DPS was significantly easier once we were getting the heart to sub 30 percent each open-heart phase. The hard mode, however, looks like it'll probably shape up to be one of the hardest ones.
Posted Image

#44 Sparty

Sparty

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

I believe it is
Mimiron - Hands
Freya - Legs
Hodir - Chest
Throim - Head
Yogg-Saron - Shoulders

We got Gloves from Freya, Legs from Hodir, Shoulders from Thorim today.

#45 OnosKT

OnosKT

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

We got Gloves from Freya, Legs from Hodir, Shoulders from Thorim today.

It's possible that bosses will drop any of the token types, and not just a specific token.

#46 Sparty

Sparty

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

It's possible that bosses will drop any of the token types, and not just a specific token.

Seems to be the case.

#47 kalbear

kalbear

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

We got Gloves from Freya, Legs from Hodir, Shoulders from Thorim today

Was this on normal or heroic?

#48 Skiace

Skiace

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

So it is my understanding that Flame Leviathan has a ramping hard mode like Sarth. Does the hard mode loot work the same way? Do you get 1 hard mode item for leaving 1 tower up and more for leaving all 4 towers up?

#49 Topround

Topround

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

So it is my understanding that Flame Leviathan has a ramping hard mode like Sarth. Does the hard mode loot work the same way? Do you get 1 hard mode item for leaving 1 tower up and more for leaving all 4 towers up?

My guess is that you wouldn't get any hardmode loot with just 1 tower up.

With Sarth you didn't get hard mode loot until you killed him with 2/3 drakes, you just got an extra piece of normal loot (if a single drake was up). I would think Flame Leviathan is similar.

#50 Clandestine

Clandestine

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:11 PM

Has anyone figured out a way to make the Mimiron trash less painful?

#51 Dralmoo

Dralmoo

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

My guess is that you wouldn't get any hardmode loot with just 1 tower up.

With Sarth you didn't get hard mode loot until you killed him with 2/3 drakes, you just got an extra piece of normal loot (if a single drake was up). I would think Flame Leviathan is similar.

Incorrect, Sarth has a separate loot table for 1 drake, with the same ilvl, and then a third loot table with higher ivl for 2 drakes. So I don't think it's safe to assume anything about FL.

#52 Pyria

Pyria

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:50 PM

We did a two tower kill and got three ilevel 226 items, two badges and three runed orbs. Is that more orbs than a zero tower kill? If so, I'd assume that's the only real benefit (along with practice and experience for the real hard mode payoff, of course).

Edit: A peek at Insomnia's site shows that they just got one extra hard mode exclusive item for a total of four epics for a four tower kill.

#53 Jagiya

Jagiya

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

I put a PUG together lastnight and we nailed Flame Leviathan with 1 Tower up on 10man - and we recieved 2x .

Is this intended? Are you supposed to recieve Conquest Emblems for Hard Mode 10 man bosses?

We killed Razorscale immediately after and only recieved an .

Interestingly enough, we discovered that Razorscale's Deep Breath (while grounded) doesn't really hurt at all. It was dealing like ~3k to our tank, who was holding all of the leftover Air Phase mobs in front of the boss to be toasted.

As for the damage ratio from XT's heart to his body, does anyone know what it is? 1:1?

We had about 3-4 attempts before our server was shut down without touching the heart, and we were wondering why we kept wiping to enrage at like ~35-40%.

As for the pummelers, we've just been having the MT taunt them and hang onto them while we DPS the bots/boss. They don't really seem to pose any threat - does anyone else deal with them differently? They have a fair bit of HP and as far as we're concerned, they're not worth wasting DPS time on.

So far I'm really impressed with the instance; especially the lack of trash between the first 4 bosses. Flame Leviathan was truly exceptional.

We'll be killing Deconstructor tonight - is it worth beating our heads against a bugged Ignis, or should we just move on to the Watchers?

#54 Intermission

Intermission

Spiral out, keep going

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:28 AM

We'll be killing Deconstructor tonight - is it worth beating our heads against a bugged Ignis, or should we just move on to the Watchers?

I haven't done 10 man yet, but if it's anything like 25, go kill Council, Kologarn, Hodir, Auriiruya, then move to Freya/Thorim/Mimiron/Vezax. Those first 3 should really be a one shot if the raid know the fights already and a few people have attempted them on PTR. Freya will take a few wipes to familiarise yourself with the adds and the little techniques for each wave. Thorim will take a few wipes to balance your pit/gauntlet numbers, and for melee to learn that p2 is just Kel'Thuzad with nature. Aurirrya is just an annoying pull: make sure you know how to deal with her abilities once you get the pull right so you dont waste too much time.

I don't know anything about Mim/Vezax, but Ignis was a **** when we tried him the other night. Considering he is optional, I don't see any reason to kill him before Yogg.

#55 Jagiya

Jagiya

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

None of us had been on the PTR, and being a PUG, we didn't really have a clue what to expect, either. We just kinda winged it and figured it out as we went, spare a few, "I heard this" or "My guild did this on 25man" comments. We typically would have gone to Ignis after XT, since well, he's right there, but I think we'll take your advice and just move on to Iron Council and Kolagarn. Thanks. :)

Some of the greatest features of Ulduar so far, in my opinion are:
Teleporters.
They're so helpful! All of our run backs are 30 seconds long, it's great to have such minimal downtime. Does this continue throughout the entire instance?

Minimal trash & several bosses to choose from
I'm sure this will increase later in the instance, but it was really pleasant to kill Flame Leviathan and see three bosses standing in front of us, with a grand total of two trash mobs in sight. (I'm aware that the XT trash has been temporarily disabled) Having that freedom to choose which one to hit first, without having to slow the adrenaline pace with half an hour of trash was so refreshing.

Also - two more questions regarding XT.

1) When you destroy his heart, I seem to recall hearing rumours about him healing to full, in addition to his HP/damage buff. Is this correct? So you can't just DPS him to 25%, destroy the heart and zerg him down from there?

2) If he's at 76% before a tantrum, and then you zerg him (ala Gotta Go! 3.0) for the entire duration, does he cancel his tantrum when you push him below the threshold? Does he shut down immediately after the tantrum? Can you skip his shutdown completely?

#56 Skiace

Skiace

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

2) If he's at 76% before a tantrum, and then you zerg him (ala Gotta Go! 3.0) for the entire duration, does he cancel his tantrum when you push him below the threshold? Does he shut down immediately after the tantrum? Can you skip his shutdown completely?

I think we ran into this last night, and he completed the Tantrum then shut down immediately.

#57 Copernicus

Copernicus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:04 AM

1) When you destroy his heart, I seem to recall hearing rumours about him healing to full, in addition to his HP/damage buff. Is this correct? So you can't just DPS him to 25%, destroy the heart and zerg him down from there?

Correct.

As for the damage ratio from XT's heart to his body, does anyone know what it is? 1:1?

1 to 1, but the heart takes double damage.

#58 Jagiya

Jagiya

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:58 AM

Great, thanks for that.

Also forgot to mention (hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere) that I was able to harvest Flame Leviathan via Engineering.

I recieved:
1x
3x
3x
17x

I'm assuming you can do this to XT as well.

#59 Javyrha

Javyrha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:51 AM

Great, thanks for that.

Also forgot to mention (hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere) that I was able to harvest Flame Leviathan via Engineering.

I recieved:
1x
3x
3x
17x

I'm assuming you can do this to XT as well.

You can, from XT we got a couple different crystallized things and 13 or so cobalt bars. I wasn't paying close attention to what exactly was harvested but I'll confirm it's do-able anyway.

#60 f1reburn

f1reburn

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:17 AM

When we killed Flame Leviathan (normal mode) on 25 man last night, we received a , so I assume it has a chance to drop from every boss.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)