• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Wodin

Wodin

Thoroughly Inebriated

• Moderators
  • 8116 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

Well there was the time I pulled aggro on Vek'nilash, but that was my fault and we restabilized for another 40% or so before wiping :P

There just aren't many opportunities for tanks to lose aggro honestly. No knockbacks or knockaways - the difficulty of the fights is in other areas.

#42 Taeme

Taeme

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 3272 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

Spineshatter, EoC, Blessed, so on. I'm very tempted by the warhammer but I think I'll take the next EoC I see that Crauch/Toros aren't ahead* of me for.

If you don't think EoC is better than Quel then I just don't understand you. Axe spec is better than sword for tanking, and the higher dps is of great use.

*=I would not deny Crauch EoC.
you're the one that decided to trust me

#43 Guest_Amberyl_*

Guest_Amberyl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

I will be tanking C'Thun with a fucking Quel'Serrar.

No you won't. :D

OMG SPOILERZ

#44 Guest_Amberyl_*

Guest_Amberyl_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

It doesn't help that the average physical DPS gets 1-2 upgraded weapons per raid zone.  My guild went fresh into MC/Onyxia in nearly all blues/BoE epics.  The first time I tanked in the Majordomo encounter, I had a Quel'Serrar.  When I tanked Ragnaros, I had a Quel'Serrar.  Off to BWL and I tanked Nefarion with...  you guessed it...  A Quel'Serrar.  All the shit from AQ has been data-mined and *gasp* I will be tanking C'Thun with a fucking Quel'Serrar.

i LOL'd at this post because for so many people it's so true. i got my Quel'Serrar i believe last april (almost a year ago). i just upgraded it less than 2 weeks ago to Thunderfury (which, despite the nerfs, is *definitely* a huge upgrade for threat generation). almost a year of using the same weapon because, frankly, there wasn't really anything better. i agree with previous posters that EoC is a better tanking weapon for threat generation, and would have taken it for this purpose had one dropped for our raid. the weapon that gurg linked also looks to be a huge upgrade for tanking. i never gave that any consideration because of the druid passive and automatically wrote it off as a druid weapon. regardless, the gap between when many raiders got their quels (a year ago) and when many might have a chance to upgrade to something truly better (TF, EoC, or this druid hammer) is far too large, imo.

Or your dps could not be morons and learn how to control their agro?

(Took me a while to learn that >.>)

of course they could. but then what would be the point of getting all these weapon and DPS upgrades if they had to progressively hold back their DPS more and more with each upgrade?

#45 Gankin

Gankin

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

I will be tanking C'Thun with a fucking Quel'Serrar.

No you won't. :D

--

Anyway, this is a better tank weapon than Quel. For tanking AQ, Spineshatter is also better. AQ is decidedly not BWL when it comes to being a tank. I can't recall a wipe that occurred due to a warrior losing aggro.

I forgot to add in the ol "assuming C'Thun is actually tanked" clause. I'm not there yet, so I kind of took it for granted.

While the knockbacks cause me to lose agro more than all of our rogues, warriors, and crappy hunters combined, it would still be nice to look at a weapon and say "that is clearly a better tanking weapon than the Quel'Serrar." I will be able to tank the mobs *that can be tanked* with a QS just fine, but it's still nice to upgrade to an obviously better weapon the same way my Bonereavers Edge was an obviously better weapon than my OEB. The Spineshatter is way to slow for my tastes, and that hammer, while nice and probly a bit better than the QS, it also is gimped by Mace Spec.

#46 diospadre

diospadre

Hero of the Horde

• Guild Members
  • 7465 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

I look forward to making our druids cry like the bitches they are the next time a regalia drops.

Used by Qiraji Spellcasters indeed.

#47 Toros

Toros

King Hippo

• Guild Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:31 AM

Spineshatter, EoC, Blessed, so on. I'm very tempted by the warhammer but I think I'll take the next EoC I see that Crauch/Toros aren't ahead* of me for.

If you don't think EoC is better than Quel then I just don't understand you. Axe spec is better than sword for tanking, and the higher dps is of great use.

*=I would not deny Crauch EoC.

It's on now, sucka.
This game sucks.

#48 Jo_

Jo_

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

I look forward to making our druids cry like the bitches they are the next time a regalia drops.

Used by Qiraji Spellcasters indeed.

one of our mt's suggested this, he got kindof flamed.

#49 Lord BEEF

Lord BEEF

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3826 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:10 AM

As much as I hate to say it, the blessed qiraji warhammer is far from a druid only weapon

If they wanted it to be druid only they wouldn't have made it over 60 dps, and it wouldn't be "one hand", it'd be main hand.
Check out my friend's bitchin' Lord of the Rings Art

#50 Jo_

Jo_

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

As much as I hate to say it, the blessed qiraji warhammer is far from a druid only weapon

If they wanted it to be druid only they wouldn't have made it over 60 dps, and it wouldn't be "one hand", it'd be main hand.

So do you do consultations? :laugh:

I guess the biggest reason I didn't suport the mt more on the issue was what Gurgthock said earlier:

"AQ is decidedly not BWL when it comes to being a tank. I can't recall a wipe that occurred due to a warrior losing aggro."

if this would have droped from broodlord I'm sure it would have been a different story.

slightly offtopic but we prioritize regalia for people that want the healing staff, would your druids freak out over that?

#51 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27827 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:17 PM

Uh, druids want the healing staff....

The quest is repeatable, too.

---

As for my tanking statement, I was more responding to "why would you use anything but Quel." In AQ, I'd prefer Spineshatter, for example, for a fair number of fights. That said, I genuinely see no reason why warriors can't have the War Hammer too, and they have copriority on it. If C'Thun drops a 65 DPS +15def +20 sta 1h weapon or something and we're killing him regularly, I'll change my mind, but right now the War Hammer is the only weapon in AQ40 that is a suitable upgrade for a tank.

#52 Taeme

Taeme

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 3272 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

It's on now, sucka.

you've been hoarding for it for HOW long?
you're the one that decided to trust me

#53 Jo_

Jo_

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:46 PM

Uh, druids want the healing staff....

The quest is repeatable, too.

we got copriority for druids/priests/shamans for the staff it's just that some of them are Alot more interested in the mace. Thanks for the repeatable part, did not know that and it's good to know in these discussions/cat fights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users