Photo

Mage UI and Add-ons (READ THE FIRST POST)

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#21 Anobix

Anobix

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

Posted Image

Addons:
Pitbull
Bartender4
MSBT
Cryolysis3 (the circle on the left, common mage spells, etc)
kgpanels + btex
bagnon (all in one bag)
grid
decursive (need to set up clique on my grid sometime...)
trinketmenu
omen
recount
fubar
scorchio2 (buff/debuff track)
buffalo2 (buffs/debuffs)
simpleminimap
viewport (moves my screen up off of the bottom part so I'm not missing anything down there)

#22 Shorlin

Shorlin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

One worth mentioning is iceHUD, having your hp and mana clearly visible can be very useful especially on fights like Hodir.

#23 Kyth

Kyth

Professional Windmill Tilter

• Members
  • 3779 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

One worth mentioning is iceHUD, having your hp and mana clearly visible can be very useful especially on fights like Hodir.

UnderHood can also be configured as a HUD (although I have it masquerading as normal unit frames) and is hands-down the most configurable set of unit frames out there. (if you're into that: it definitely takes fiddling, but I adore it.)

#24 muttonboy

muttonboy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

Neat thing about IceHud is you can configure extra bars for pretty much whatever you want. I was having a hard time noticing if Hot Streak had expired with Scorchio2 and Mlk(probably due to me not being able to adjust them properly, not the mods fault), so i created two small mirrored bars that circle my character, and only light up when Hot Streak has proc'd.

#25 Muphrid

Muphrid

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Posted Image

Addons:
Pitbull4
Dominos
ClosetGnome
Elkano's Buff Bars
InQuest (simple modified quest tracker)
Fubar and plugins
BigWigs
Parrot
Quartz
Omen3
TipTac
Opie
Dominos_BuffTimes

Let me say a couple things about the last two: Opie is the mod putting up that ring with Molten, Mage, and Ice Armors. It's a ring that shows on pressing a keybinding, and Opie has several of these preset rings to reduce some bar clutter, including a ring for ports, all quest items currently in your bags, armor spells, and professions (basically everything I feel you don't need to see all the time but need to access regularly).

Dominos_BuffTimes is a modification of the Dominos_Buff module (which highlights your buffs and debuffs with red and green borders on your action bar). The idea is to map an imaginary cooldown timer to relevant spells, like Living Bomb. Applying LB to a target with this mod would make the button appear to have a 12 second cooldown, the duration of the LB debuff. This I found very useful in my time playing FFB, and recently it has been modified to support Imp. Scorch as well. The mod is still somewhat hacked together (for example, it could theoretically map Missile Barrage to AM if you wanted, but it doesn't yet and my attempts to hack it have been unsuccessful), but I consider it a simple alternative to more sophisticated debuff trackers.

Another image showing a raid setup; you can see Dominos_BuffTimes imposing an imaginary CD on Fireball (meant to reflect the duration of the Fireball DoT).

Posted Image

#26 manly

manly

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3596 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

If you use scorchio2, make sure to get at least v1, which isnt available on wowmatrix. It goes from totally unusable to almost working perfectly.
<Eej> YOU"RE GONNA PULL
<Eej> IF YOU SQUEEZE OFF ANOTHER ARCANE BLAST
<Spectear> You've obviously never played with Manly.
<Spectear> That's hardly a reason to stop DPS.
Very Manly Staff

#27 kycan

kycan

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Opie is the mod putting up that ring with Molten, Mage, and Ice Armors. It's a ring that shows on pressing a keybinding, and Opie has several of these preset rings to reduce some bar clutter, including a ring for ports, all quest items currently in your bags, armor spells, and professions (basically everything I feel you don't need to see all the time but need to access regularly).

I'm gonna hafta second this. Opie is incredible as a mage for all the reasons stated. Ports, armors, buffs, professions, whatever. It really appeals to those who want to have a minimalistic UI as possible, as the rings obviously are hidden unless the keybind is pressed.

#28 ash2ash

ash2ash

Operation Asian

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

If you use scorchio2, make sure to get at least v1, which isnt available on wowmatrix. It goes from totally unusable to almost working perfectly.

I used to use wowmatrix but lately the updates have been slow and I've had to go to the curse/wowinterface website to get the updated mods. If you have been using wowmatrix, you might want to check some of your mods manually, especially oft-updated mods like DBM/Bigwigs. I still like keeping it around because I can uninstall mods and their associated data files in the WTF folder with a single click, but I no longer rely on it to get new mods/keep my mods up to date.

I personally use IceHUD, but from my experience looking at other people's UIs, HUD interfaces are largely a matter of personal preference regardless of class. Feel free to disagree - I'm trying to keep the first post mage specific, so I'm going to hold off on listing it for now. Maybe in the future I'll write a short guide to what I think are important elements of a Mage UI and include some possible choices there.

#29 vahu

vahu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Posted Image

ag_UnitFrames
Bartender4
BigBrother
BigWigs
CowTip
FramesResized
FuBar
FuBar_CombatTimeFu
FuBar_WhisperFu
FuBar_MoneyFu
ErrorMonster
Grid
Magealert
Minimalist
Omen
oRA2
Postal
Prat
Quartz
Recount
Scorchio2
sct
sctd

Made a list of addons you can see or could be more useful, i use a lot more like auctioneer etc, tryed to make list shorter. And from 3.1 im using curse client to update my addons.

#30 diag

diag

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Which UI is best for tracking 4pc T8 effect?

#31 sheeplol

sheeplol

Banned

• Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Power Auras works really well for the 4 piece bonus.

#32 ash2ash

ash2ash

Operation Asian

• Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:01 AM

Which UI is best for tracking 4pc T8 effect?

3/5 T8 here so I don't speak from personal experience, but I think the 4pT8 bonus shouldn't cause a combat event - rather you will retain the hotstreak/mbarrage/brainfreeze proc. As long as you have a persistent method of tracking those buffs, it shouldn't change anything.

If you use mods that give you a one-time notification (like a soundfile) when you gain the buff, however, you're going to have problems.

#33 Yetigeeze

Yetigeeze

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:19 AM

Have to agree with powerauras for tracking 4p procs. If when I cast the pyro and the bright red circle around my toon stays, hit the button again, it's really easy to catch. I also use it, with the timer function to track trinket stacks, so I don't have to rebuild them.

#34 Hinalover

Hinalover

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:54 AM

woops I posted in the wrong thread. please delete

#35 Unleash

Unleash

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

I cannot imagine a UI without grid. I mean it.
Also almost everyone using grid uses clique for right-click on grid to decurse that player.

I prefer using decursive over grid. I dont see the reason for a UI to require Grid. Maybe I am missing something else grid does for a mage in a raid?

#36 pikapewpew

pikapewpew

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

I see scorchio2 has a TTW tracking ; does it work with judgement of the just ?

I use a slightly different way to track buff & debuff usefull for casters and the way protection paladins apply their swing speed reduction make it impossible for my tool to work.

There's a lot of buff & debuff you want to see in raid, such as 13% magic, spell hit, spellpower from fire totem/warlock etc.

I use severall dogtags with pitbull to track them all and I'm pretty satisfied since whatever the event we're doing I can instantly see if everything is present.

Posted Image

Just under my frame is a "F" in white. It means i'm near a Totem of Wrath.
Right to the target frames is a yellow/black text. Yellow debuffs are active, black are inactive. You can't read well since the background is dark aswell, but 13% spelldamage isn't active atm.

--

I'm also looking for a very efficient addon to estimate death time. That's pretty important if you're hesitating between different mana/cooldown scenarios. Also it's important as soon as enrage timer is involved.

the addon i know : timetodie & deathclock are almost perfect as long as there's no target switching or healing. I'm going to test TimeToExecute and keep the best.

#37 Wizeowel

Wizeowel

old and slow

• Members
  • 1552 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

Maybe I am missing something else grid does for a mage in a raid?

This is a personal peeve of mine: dps classes who don't bother with informative unit frames. Although your function as a dps class is just to hit the mobs hard, as a raider you really could and should be more aware of what is going on with the rest of the group.

Grid is a simple lightweight addon which can show you all kinds of things in a very compact space. Stuff like health, mana/energy/rage, offline/afk status, death, aggro warning, buffs, and a range check so that you know why you didn't get heals. Furthermore: adding clique to your grid setup can making single buffing easier: AI, focus magic, amplify magic, and even slow fall for that guy who always fails the jump at Thaddius.

#38 Guest_Amphetamines_*

Guest_Amphetamines_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

Also have 2 hidden bars, however this UI is for windowed mode, I have a different UI for full screen view.

-Addons include X-perl,omen.dominos,simple minimap,recount(custom design)omnicc,forte xc,titan panel,cooldown timers2,and now elkanos buff bars, however it is different.

#39 Unleash

Unleash

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

This is a personal peeve of mine: dps classes who don't bother with informative unit frames. Although your function as a dps class is just to hit the mobs hard, as a raider you really could and should be more aware of what is going on with the rest of the group.

Grid is a simple lightweight addon which can show you all kinds of things in a very compact space. Stuff like health, mana/energy/rage, offline/afk status, death, aggro warning, buffs, and a range check so that you know why you didn't get heals. Furthermore: adding clique to your grid setup can making single buffing easier: AI, focus magic, amplify magic, and even slow fall for that guy who always fails the jump at Thaddius.

Yah, exactly what I thought was the explanation. Grid is not a nessessary addon, for the raid frames I use supply me in the exact same way as you have stated grid does. I can understand why people use them for it is a single addon doing multiple tasks, but a UI without grid is not an automatic fail.

#40 Oversoul

Oversoul

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

It seems like most if not all of the UI screenshots posted so far don't show raid member's mana. I find mana an important piece of information when it comes to raid status as it helps to judge the strain put on healers, if the other casters are ready for a burst phase, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users