• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#141 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27807 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

You worry about your spec too much. As long as you have Nature's Swiftness you can do anything you want with the other 30 points and you'll be just fine.

#142 jubelio

jubelio

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 1645 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:55 PM

Just remember that an untalented mana spring totem gives a group 300 mana over 12 seconds, which is incidentally the length of time you would need to have MTT out. It also costs 60 mana and stops your regen for 5 seconds. All told you and group mates are probably losing over 500 mana to use MTT or the enamored spirit.

edit: add 300 more mana lost for the enamored spirit

#143 Hellmount

Hellmount

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

http://forums.worldo...mp=1#post491801

Looks like we'll know which direction they are going with this sooner rather then later.

#144 phyra

phyra

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:42 PM

If Salvation still looked like that, I can tell you exactly what the first paladin's job would be.

"Pick highest DPS mage/warrior/warlock. Seal of Salv them. Pick 2nd highest. Hit them when cooldown is up. Repeat."

2nd paladin?

"Pick 3rd highest DPS mage/warrior/warlock. Seal of Salv them. Pick 4th highest. Hit them when cooldown is up."

And so forth. Other Seals would just be worked into the rotation of cooldowns, replacing Salv slots according to benefit/necessity, but it'd be the rare blessing/seal whose effect would be more valuable than keeping BWL bosses on the raid.

If balanced appropriately such a system could be effective. Imagine paladins switching back and forth between throwing down salvation and some sort of windfury-ish blessing. Carefully managing hate reduction against DPS boosts by throwing around a limited number of spot buffs. (a global blessing cooldown of 15 seconds would help with this.) And you can't just assume that the threat-reduction buff would automatically dominate 99% of the time, since if that was the case its effectiveness would simply be reduced relative to the strength of other blessingss.

Ok, time for another of my half-baked blessing ideas:

Blessing of Sacrifice
500 mana, 20 yd range, Instant cast, 2 min cooldown
Places a Blessing on the Party member, transferring 50% damage taken, up to 500 per hit, to the caster. Lasts 15 sec or until the caster drops below 20% health.

This is the kind of powerful, situational Sacrifice I imagine that would actually be appropriately scaled and worth using in the endgame for something other than breaking Polymorph in group PvP.

#145 Kalman

Kalman

Super Macho Man

• Members
  • 8791 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

If Salvation still looked like that, I can tell you exactly what the first paladin's job would be.

"Pick highest DPS mage/warrior/warlock. Seal of Salv them. Pick 2nd highest. Hit them when cooldown is up. Repeat."

2nd paladin?

"Pick 3rd highest DPS mage/warrior/warlock. Seal of Salv them. Pick 4th highest. Hit them when cooldown is up."

And so forth. Other Seals would just be worked into the rotation of cooldowns, replacing Salv slots according to benefit/necessity, but it'd be the rare blessing/seal whose effect would be more valuable than keeping BWL bosses on the raid.

If balanced appropriately such a system could be effective. Imagine paladins switching back and forth between throwing down salvation and some sort of windfury-ish blessing. Carefully managing hate reduction against DPS boosts by throwing around a limited number of spot buffs. (a global blessing cooldown of 15 seconds would help with this.) And you can't just assume that the threat-reduction buff would automatically dominate 99% of the time, since if that was the case its effectiveness would simply be reduced relative to the strength of other blessingss.

Ok, time for another of my half-baked blessing ideas:

Blessing of Sacrifice
500 mana, 20 yd range, Instant cast, 2 min cooldown
Places a Blessing on the Party member, transferring 50% damage taken, up to 500 per hit, to the caster. Lasts 15 sec or until the caster drops below 20% health.

This is the kind of powerful, situational Sacrifice I imagine that would actually be appropriately scaled and worth using in the endgame for something other than breaking Polymorph in group PvP.

You'd wind up with rotating paladins on the MT in order to reduce spike damage as much as possible. If this meant dedicating one raid member (or, more likely, writing a mod) to switching paladins into and out of the MT group, it'd probably be worth it.

I understand your point, I just don't feel Blizzard to be capable of implementing it into the game in a suitable fashion. Get too situational and paladins will complain most of their arsenal is unused. Stay too general and you'll wind up with the exact opposite of what you're looking for - the situation I described, where one blessing/seal is clearly dominant and keeping it up is the primary job of the paladins. I don't trust Blizzard to walk the wire between the two extremes, and I see no reason anyone else would.

Simply put, at this point the paladin role is that of a strong buff support class with excellent healing capability. I don't foresee that changing, no matter how much more fun it might make your gameplay.

Ater 1.9 made it clear there was no chance in hell of a change in raid functionality, our paladins basically either adapted to being buffers/healers/cleansers (and I'll note: most of them chose this route), or rerolled.
Melador> Incidentally, these last few pages are why people hate lawyers.
Viator> I really don't want to go all Kalman here.
Bury> Just imagine what the world would be like if you used your powers for good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users