• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:38 PM

Yeah, it really isn't a big deal. A flasked Vek'nilash tank isn't going to die to a couple of shadow bolts unless all the healers fall asleep. It's mana-intensive, but if the warlock gets to his spot and peels Vek'lor off the warrior with some Searing Pains, the warrior's only taking damage for 10 seconds or so. Not too bad.

#42 moz

moz

Get off my lawn.

• Moderators
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

I don't see why not, doing it this way mana isn't really an issue and keeping a warrior up till the warlock can take it back is not too tough.

Though the last few times I've done this on my side with Zibro we never have issues with the warlock picking up prox aggro on Vek'lor after a teleport. Even if Zibro get's uppercutted I back out a little and he runs in to get aggro and nearly always it works perfectly. Even in the event of an arcane blast, with the amount of HP our warlocks are sporting we usually don't have trouble recovering. I like this technique a lot better, because quite frankly Shadowbolts hurt :(

#43 McInaction

McInaction

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

When we first took on the twin emps we tried having warlocks tank the casters for obvious reasons, high SR. Our warlocks were at 6400 and 6700 hp with full sr, so pretty good I would say.

We couldn't even make it to 70% reliably.

We hammered a few things out, mainly on the healing end and upped our endurance alot and switched to having warriors tank it, wearing the wrath pieces with SR and a couple nice sr rings and necks (one of em uses a shadow reflector instead of a ring) The SR ring off the big family helps alot, if you so care to go thru the trouble of killing yauj last.

We still have trouble with the emps, mainly due to attentence inconsistency. Our second kill we did a 'dry run' of no consumables. then on our first 'full run' blowing mongoose pots juju's and scorpok salts ect.. we killed em in just over 13 minutes without a single death.

This week we kept having rogues die ('lol i have 3k life i'll be fine dont need to bandage!') or casters pulling aggro ('so like i trinket k n do mad deeps k?') Or worse yet hunters trying to make up the slack for dead rogues and pulling aggro (fiegn resist ftw)

Theres so many things that can go wrong, its a 15 minute nailbiter nearly everytime.

If you need a shot macro to hold your hand then you are probably on the wrong forums.

#44 newladin

newladin

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

quite frankly

Oh, you watch that show too? :rolleyes:
all your base, are belong to us!

#45 chalon

chalon

Founder of the Chalonverse

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

casters pulling aggro ('so like i trinket k n do mad deeps k?')

If you use a Warlock tank who gets the prox port bonus, you pretty much never have to worry about casters pulling aggro on Vek'lor.

#46 Raylen

Raylen

stop kissing Gurgs ass 24/7

• Guild Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

You have to Holy Fire and Smite Vek'lor when he's below 10% if you're the 8/8 Trans gheal Priest for the Vek'nilash tank!

#47 Elerion

Elerion

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:33 PM

I don't really see us going on a dry Emps run anytime soon, unless we just forget to bring the flasks. We did one run without flask on one of the tanks, and it worked just fine, but the added risk and the cost of a wipe means it's usually just better to flask up if you have it. The DPS consumables (mongoose, primarily) also add a lot to the consistency, since we do all the emps damage through melee.

The rest of the consumables are unnecessary crutches though. We usually divide our healers into "confident" and "others" (their own choice), and keep the confident ones on the floor dodging bugs. The rest stay on the stairs, which means they eat a few more blizzards, so they usually frost prot. On the floor, I've never been spiked to death.

#48 chalon

chalon

Founder of the Chalonverse

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:52 PM

Not flasking the people tanking Vek'linash is just asking to wipe.

#49 Montantu

Montantu

RCTID

• Allied Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

People mentioned above having extra tanks stay in melee range. Just to be clear, all that this does is reduce the chance of an Uppercut on the Warlock from 1/2 to 1/3? It doesn't seem to really change the fact that you have to deal with the possibility.

Correct. Also, the other tank is there when I run in after a teleport and rarely get uppercutted right at the start (one more thing to add to the spike damage when I start tanking = bad).

#50 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 07:34 AM

Yes, im looking forward to tanking it for my guild provided we dont give up on the warlock tanking strategy because of a few wipes on our first few attempts.

Yeah, we've had some Warlocks looking forward to this for a while. I think it would take a lot to make us give up on it. Either way, it just seems like the elegant way to do the fight.

Also, it seems it's clearly the intended way, which may or may not mean anything to anyone:
http://forums.worldo...&tmp=1#blizzard

You will wipe a lot for the first few attempts. We found out quite starkly, as I'm pretty sure everyone does, that there's no way around the required practice.

#51 Hamoshin

Hamoshin

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:22 AM

We do it the same way as EJ, with a warlock picking up proximity aggro. For the most part it works flawlessly, though it opens up the warlocks for getting Uppercuts, and we've also had it happen the odd time where Vek'Lor arcane bursts immediately upon teleport (at the start of his 2 second stun), which usually results in a wipe when it happens. I'm still not sure what's up with that, but it happens rarely enough that it doesn't really matter.

Last time I tanked the emps fight, I died by catching two uppercuts in 5 seconds - one of them a crit. That's the sort of random thing that can't really be helped. Under normal circumstances I'm at full (>7500) health when I run in and it's pretty hard to die.

As far as instant arcane bursts right after teleport, yeah, that sucks. It has been known to happen to us, though I haven't seen it since we got the new hardware. Might be a lag thing. Either way, there are consumables you can use to increase a warlock's survivability should this unlikely event occur in the future.

How much SR do you have with 7500 hp?
I used to have a huge image here, but then it got removed and now I\'ve developed chronic depression and suicidal tendencies. /wrists
http://ctprofiles.net/7275

#52 Heartwarden

Heartwarden

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

This fight is beautiful. So many possibilities. If nothing is working for your guild you could try a bizarre strategy from an EU guild named Last Resort. They melee tank Vek'lor and kill most bugs with AoE (tauren stuns them).

I was really shocked to see the warrior taking vek'lor taking arcane explosions and melee hits. It made my day.

#53 Khlysti

Khlysti

Ithyphallic

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

We have melee tanked both emps on every kill, the damage really isn't that hard to deal with if your healers are competant and it keeps both emperors nice and static.

#54 bartolimu

bartolimu

palpably superior comprehension

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

How much SR do you have with 7500 hp?

Somewhere around 300, I think. The first time I had like 280, but I've improved my gear somewhat since then.

#55 jholland

jholland

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

Hitting 350 SR and still having 7000ish HP shouldn't be a problem for anyone :o

#56 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

They melee tank Vek'lor and kill most bugs with AoE (tauren stuns them).

I was really shocked to see the warrior taking vek'lor taking arcane explosions and melee hits. It made my day.

What the hell -- I'd love to see a video of this.

#57 Yuckie

Yuckie

qq

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:48 PM

My guild just has the warriors keep the aggro the whole time : \ No warlocks invovled pretty simple really. (Warrior just spams b-shout)

#58 Yuckie

Yuckie

qq

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

This fight is beautiful. So many possibilities. If nothing is working for your guild you could try a bizarre strategy from an EU guild named Last Resort. They melee tank Vek'lor and kill most bugs with AoE (tauren stuns them).

Bullshit, your not tanking through the arcane explosion, sorry.

#59 Khlysti

Khlysti

Ithyphallic

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:13 PM

We have our tanks hit by 3-4 arcane explosions per teleport, and it causes our healers no problems.

#60 jholland

jholland

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

I'd like to see a video of that, personally I'm not too sure how you deal with the AE kocking your tank all over. Maybe just get knocked into the wall? And this also makes it so you can never use magic on Vek'Lor. Seems like this would work, but not be fault tolerant what so ever.

Still want a video :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users