Photo

OptiGear - BiS warlock gear optimiser (alpha)

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 thetrueavatar

thetrueavatar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

@Troffel
I do agree with you, when say that the approach is not right if we want to have a exact BIS equipment.
Model is non-linear. If it was, scale factor would always be the same and model would be
DPS(haste,crit,sp,hit,int,sp)=Fixed_DPS+SF_haste*haste+SF_crit*crit+SF_SP+....
But we saw that SF change depending the gear you have. So SF_haste would be a function like SF_haste(haste,crit,SP,...).
Scale factors are fined for a one by one equipment switch but not to find a combinaison of gears.

However, I think that simcraft has done most of the reverse engineering to get a model close enough to the wow reality.
Is there any mathematical representation of that model ?
So why not just trying every combination but use the simcraft result instead of using scale factors ?

For the programme, maybe could you how us a sorted list of the best in slot gearset instead of the very best that nobody won't ever see ^^.

#22 VenomByte

VenomByte

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

Scale factors are calculated from an arbitary 'top level' set of gear. Since this app is calculating top level gear, it is likely those scale factors will be very close to the perfect values which would be accurate for the gear eventually chosen. These values are generally accepted as accurate guidelines when comparing a couple of items which might change one or two of your stats by a few percentage points - which essentially, is all this app will do over a good manually guesstimated BiS list.

Comprehensivly exhausting every combination is not feasible.... especially not if you want to Simcraft every single one.

Simcraft isn't perfect, nor is recount, or any other tool for simulating or calculating damage or gear. You'll never know for sure what the true 'best' setup is. But this is a step in the right direction.

#23 bastetswarrior

bastetswarrior

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

Even if all other stats are fixed, the change of one stat is only linear for spell power.

The reason that the objective function is not linear, if the other stats are fixed:

hit rating: The cap
crit rating: The cap and mechanics: pyroclasm
haste rating: The gcd cap and spell cooldowns.

The cooldowns of chaos bolt and conflagrate make the objective function looks like a "step function".

If you can model linear objective functions, then piecewise linear functions such as max and min just take a bit of trickery. I don't know about the algorithm of OptiGear, although the original post mentioned exhaustive search. If it works based on linear programming principles, then one can rephrase the obvious contrainsts to slightly different constraints which are linear.

For example, let's consider a simplified example where we will just focus on hit of N slots of gear, each with possible L_i choices of items. I'll ignore gem slots and 1H/2H for this example.

• Let x_{i,j} for 1 \leq i \leq N, 1 \leq j \leq L_i, be 0-1 integer variables representing whether or not to use the x_{i,j} piece of gear.
  • Let h_{i,j} be the amount of hit on the x_{i,j} item.
  • Let W_h be the hit scaling factor.
  • Let s_{i,j} be the weighted (multiplied by scaling factor) other stats on the x_{i,j} item.
  • Let H be the hit cap.

The informal problem (I suppress obvious limits of indices for readability) is to maximize
W_h*\min ( H, \sum_{ i,j } h_{i,j} x_{i,j} )  +  \sum_{i,j } s_{i,j} x_{i,j}

with the decision variables x_{i,j},
subject to the constraints

\sum_{j} x_{i,j} \leq 1 , for each  1 \leq i \leq N.
This represents 1 piece of gear per category.

For the formal version, we simply introduce a new decision variable Z and add more constraints.
The formal problem rephrased into a proper linear program is to maximize
Z + \sum_{i,j } s_{i,j} x_{i,j}
with decision variables Z, x_{i,j}
subject to

• Z \leq H
  • Z \leq \sum_{ i,j } h_{i,j} x_{i,j} - equations to enforce min
  •  \sum_{j} x_{i,j} \leq 1 , for each  1 \leq i  \leq N . This represents 1 piece of gear per category

I was meaning to implement this in Solver in OpenOffice/Excel for the past couple weeks for testing but hadn't gotten to it due to work and being tired.

#24 thetrueavatar

thetrueavatar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

I understand your point if you only goal is to provide the very best in slot gears.
I was hoping application could help to choose upgrade until we reach the top BIS.
About brute force algorithm, you are right it will take too much time with simcraft. However I was asking me how do you manage computing your BIS with scale factors ? Do you use kind of greedy algorithm ?

#25 angaroth

angaroth

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

Looks interesting - wrt to the white list/black list/gear filtering options - it might be nice to be able to choose which bosses are available, and which modes (10/25/hard). This would be a Best Available In Slot.

#26 Raugturi

Raugturi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:02 AM

If you run the app with the default affliction settings, with head slot locked to 'Enamored Cowl', you will see it gemmed with a Shining Forest Emerald - Item - World of Warcraft. This fills 1 blue gem towards the meta requirement, as well as completing the +9sp yellow socket bonus and giving the last few hit points needed to get over the cap. I cannot be 100% sure the calculation was bug free, but logically I can't fault the decision to put a green gem there. This is admittedly a rare situation, but one worth considering.

Thoughts?

The problem with I am seeing is that even in situations where it has 2 or more blue sockets already gemmed with I am getting a in one blue or yellow socket. If you leave all gear available and the current stat weights from http://elitistjerks....post_3_1_specs/ for 0/13/58 the set it returns has with a and a (Full set it returns here: OptiGear profile on WoWHead). However, there are already 3 blue sockets being filled with , so the meta requirement is more than met. In that situation the correct gemming would be to use a single in one of the yellow sockets, otherwise you are giving up 9sp for 8 haste (Moving the emerald to a blue socket would give up 9sp for 8 haste also as it frees up a yellow socket for a reckless rather than veiled).

So, you may be right that has a niche in sets with <2 blue sockets available that also requires some hit rating from gems to reach the cap. But right now the tool is using it when there are better options available.

#27 VenomByte

VenomByte

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

Yas, there was an issue with the app overgemming for meta requirements. Someone else picked up on this too.

I believe it's now fixed in the latest version

v0.64 3/7/09
- adjusted default profile weights to match simcraft
- fixed meta requirement overgemming bug

#28 Xera81

Xera81

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

You have the basis of a very handy little app here. Once the basic mathematical bugs have been ironed out, the main issue is a little bit of polish.

Echoing others sentiment:
- Whitelist - Selectable Tiers of items available. e.g Non hard mode items for 25 man or Certain bosses like Algalons tables to be ignored (I am unlikely to get Starshard edge or any of his items in the coming weeks :) ) . See Rawr for how they implemented this.
- Format for display of items. A classic view as shown in the armoury, or again Rawr would be nice.
- Ability to further whitelist a selection of items for optimization with a simple flag. rather than having to pick through the entire loot table.
- Ability to save a profile.
- Ability to input your own stat weights, this allows who are not sold on the static stat weight concept free reign to calculate their own scales. (May also make the app easier to maintain).
- Mouseover tooltips (Wowhead)
- Cold beer dispenser.

Hope this helps, as I would look forward to seeing some or all of this implemented in your application :)

#29 AquentVP

AquentVP

Banned

• Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

App seems very handy and easy to use, but I'm finding that, with or without the "Force hit rating" box checked, the app is overstating my hit.

For example, with “Force hit rating” checked, and “Target Hit Rating” at 368, the app states that my “Total hit” will be 375, but with the recommended gear/gems, my actual hit is at 332.

By swapping the recommended trinket “Dying Curse” with “Elemental Focus Stone” I’m at 369.

I see from previous posts that trinkets are treated differently. Could that be the issue?

#30 VenomByte

VenomByte

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

I haven't seen that with any of the settings I've tested so far. Can you tell me what settings you're running the search with (or send a screenshot) so I can repeat it for debugging? Also confirm you're running the latest version, currently v0.64.

#31 AquentVP

AquentVP

Banned

• Banned
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:05 PM

I haven't seen that with any of the settings I've tested so far. Can you tell me what settings you're running the search with (or send a screenshot) so I can repeat it for debugging? Also confirm you're running the latest version, currently v0.64.

Sure, does this help?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Kryptik

Kryptik

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

App seems very handy and easy to use, but I'm finding that, with or without the "Force hit rating" box checked, the app is overstating my hit.

For example, with “Force hit rating” checked, and “Target Hit Rating” at 368, the app states that my “Total hit” will be 375, but with the recommended gear/gems, my actual hit is at 332.

By swapping the recommended trinket “Dying Curse” with “Elemental Focus Stone” I’m at 369.

I see from previous posts that trinkets are treated differently. Could that be the issue?

Where are you getting 332? I just added them up myself and got 375.

Neck: 33
Shoulders: 35
Chest: 73
Offhand: 41
Wand: 27
Gloves: 59
Trinket: 71

Enchants: 12
Gems: 24

Total = 375

#33 t6rvik

t6rvik

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

I got a problem. When i try to run the ,exe a error pops up saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)". If someone knows how to solve this problem i would be grateful.

#34 Nevinyrral

Nevinyrral

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Haven't played around with it too much but I did notice that it is missing a piece of 25 Algalon gear. The Starwatchers Bindings.
Waist
182 Armor
+82 Stamina
+69 Intellect
+64 Spirit
Yellow Socket
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +7 Spell Power
# Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 47.
Equip: Increases spell power by 92.

The piece does not seem to be in wowhead but is posted in wowwiki and mmochamps.
Starwatcher's Binding - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

#35 shauno

shauno

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

Cool stuff VenomByte - I never did finish tackling my own application, I had to start it from scratch to fix some major problems that kept cropping up. I ended up tweaking mine to include Jewelcrafting (since I'm a JC myself) but it becomes a slow process.

#36 téhanu

téhanu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

Nice application. Do you plan on converting it for Mac?

#37 supplicium

supplicium

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:02 AM

Nice application. Do you plan on converting it for Mac?

It would be, in my opinion a better idea to create either a java based app or a web based version, but the back end of that would be so large, any ways, converting to mac wouldn't be excessively difficult do to the setup options mostly being xml, just getting the front end ui in place would be the issue.

The character linked in your profile appears to be below level 10. This may account for your poor Patchwerk DPS.

#38 Charming

Charming

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

It would be, in my opinion a better idea to create either a java based app or a web based version, but the back end of that would be so large, any ways, converting to mac wouldn't be excessively difficult do to the setup options mostly being xml, just getting the front end ui in place would be the issue.

Another option would be to provide the source code, excluding the GUI, so users can compile on whichever platform they wish. Maybe some zealous Cocoa programmer will intervene for the Mac users out there ;)

#39 gne

gne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

Can you fix the bug with the enchant on a 2h weapon. Comes up with bug error and asking to either ignore the error and the command i gave it or for it to just quit.

If it helps. i put in icecorestaff 2h weapon and wouldnt let me staff enchant it

#40 ArethorCM

ArethorCM

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:38 AM

I was recently playing with this awesome app and noticed that appears to be missing from the list. I figured it would have an affect on gearsets for both myself and others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users