• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#41 Harwin

Harwin

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:40 AM

We found the 10 man to have high enough gear requirements to make it not faceroll easy. We started with a relatively weak group and had to sub in for some better players before we were able to clear it. Ulduar 25 geared players should have no trouble at all with it. Ulduar 10 geared players will likely be challenged decently. In particular, it seemed the tanking and healing requirements were a bit higher than initially expected.

Each week an additional boss will be unlocked. You'll fight all of the available encounters each week.

Edit: I can confirm that Tranquilizing Shot does indeed remove Icehowl's enrage.

We tried 25-man on Tuesday, with our regular raid group - (3/9 hard modes in Ulduar down) and 2-shot the boss - very easy.

I do want to confirm that the 10-man, however, is not faceroll easy.
We tried a mostly random group(good tanks, good but random DPS(almost all melee - I think part of our problem), 1 resto druid 2 offspec discipline priests(when one wasn't enough)) and couldn't seem to get it down in ~1 hour of attempts. I have no doubt that with any sort of real group we'd have gotten it, but even outgearing it (full Ulduar 25 gear + some hard mode gear) we failed to kill it in 10 man. 9 out of the 10 players in that group had killed the 25 man version.

#42 Shawry

Shawry

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

10man is a good challenge, as mentioned a few posts up, similar to Mimiron. Learning the different stages is the hardest part.

We had 1 hr to zone in last night before server shutdown, and we managed to kill the Beasts with only myself reading anything about the fight beforehand.

3 Healers (resto drood, disc priest, resto sham) was fine and healing was fairly constant with only a few spikey patches when starting each new stage.
We had a mix of melee/ranged dps and had them ALL killing the adds on the first Stage, and then using Heroism to drop Acidmaw asap which worked a treat.

#43 Schnappi

Schnappi

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:07 AM

Raid question. How hard. (in in comparison to Ulduar) is 10 man reg?
Is it "harder" than Uld 10 reg?

Also. How does the weekly boss thing work?
Do you face one a week and have to keep going from there? So therefore. Want to stay in the same grp. Or... once you beat the first one it stays unlocked?

Quoting myself from the EU-forums:

Didn't seem hard, but since I'm DPS I cant really judge how much damage is going around.

We managed to kill it on the second try without anyone really knowing what to do. So 3 DPS and a healer died after the burrow due to an unexpected aggro reset and a lagging tank. We had to 5 man the last guy cause one of the tanks dc'd as well.

What the one boss rule means is this:
Week 1 you face boss 1.
Week 2 you face boss 1 and 2.
Week 3 you face boss 1, 2 and 3.
Week 4 you face boss 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Week 5 you face boss 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

#44 Imua

Imua

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:41 AM

For the 3rd beast, your tanks are most vulnerable after he "wakes up". The combination of him breathing cold on your raid plus starting to hit your tank fairly hard means that it's possible to lose the tank. In general, that's avoided by not having your healers clump (obviously) and you may as well blow a CD on the tank pickup. Other than that, he's not really dangerous at all.

Did the 10-man the first night with 2 tanks, 3 healers, 5 dps. Did the 25-man last night with 2 tanks, 6 healers, 17 dps. Ulduar-25 geared, like 3 HMs down.

#45 Moof

Moof

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:56 AM

Regarding the first boss of beasts, does anyone know what are the criteria for the snobold throwing? Is it health-based or time-based and whether he requires a certain number of ranged targets before targetting melee (i.e. Vezax shadow-crashes). Reason being, I'm wondering if it would be possible for ranged to quickly duck into melee range before the snobold is thrown and have a dedicated soaker run out and take it (the current off-tank for example).

#46 Allara

Allara

Extra Special

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:22 AM

Regarding the first boss of beasts, does anyone know what are the criteria for the snobold throwing? Is it health-based or time-based and whether he requires a certain number of ranged targets before targetting melee (i.e. Vezax shadow-crashes). Reason being, I'm wondering if it would be possible for ranged to quickly duck into melee range before the snobold is thrown and have a dedicated soaker run out and take it (the current off-tank for example).

It appears to be time based, and targets anyone including melee. Unless your DPS is very quick on their feet, you'll often have two up at once. They don't really do an excessive amount of damage, but if they're aggroed onto a caster they will silence them periodically. It's best to have any melee or an offtank hold threat while they are killed.

#47 Dancing Wu Li Master

Dancing Wu Li Master

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:20 AM

It took us about 2-3 wipes to get them down. 2 tanks, 3 healers, mostly ranged DPS. We're a fairly progressed 10-man guild though (only Yogg and Mimiron hard-modes to go). We had a few vague ideas going in, but the debuffs and emotes are descriptive enough to tell you all of the major mechanics within a few attempts.

Mimiron is probably the best comparison in Ulduar, although with a bit less movement-based difficulty. Meeting up for the Bile removal will be easier when boss mods mark people for the debuffs. Tanks were taking some big hits; we had one go down in P3 due to a stun followed by a melee hit 0.5s later. Aside from another tank being very quick on taunt, the only options I can see are aggressive healing, or potentially pre-emptive cooldown use, if it's on a regular enough cooldown.

EDIT: Another way to put it: NB-10 felt easier with Ulduar-10 gear than Ulduar-10 did with Naxx-10 gear on release.

#48 brutalbovine

brutalbovine

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:15 AM

We encountered this bug yesterday as well. We thought that maybe he would give up if he did not have any horses to mount so we kept on killing him even when he mounted. Turns out he just keeps fireballing / blastwaving away when he has no horses.

It was on normal and he was not to much of a hassle, so we went ahead and started the second encounter to see if he would reset after we bested that one. He does not reset even if you keep him all the way to the black knight. It was pretty amusing though.

We encountered the same bug, except that it applied to all 3 of the NPCs. All had been defeated and were lying on the ground (with people standing on them), but it would never start the normal combat part of the fight. They would just all 3 lay on the ground for a while, then one would try to get up and get a mount. We had to zone out and back in to reset the event.

NOTE: If you experience the above bug or somehow manage to wipe during the fight with the NPCs, you do not have to start the whole event over when you zone back in. The 3 NPCs will be waiting for you when you get inside.

#49 Linstar

Linstar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:23 AM

Quoting myself from the EU-forums:

What the one boss rule means is this:
Week 1 you face boss 1.
Week 2 you face boss 1 and 2.
Week 3 you face boss 1, 2 and 3.
Week 4 you face boss 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Week 5 you face boss 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Just want to add to this, week 5 you should also be able to face hard mode bosses 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 unless theres some other artificial lock in place?

#50 toiletduck

toiletduck

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

I get the feeling that NB10 is tuned to a minimum of ilvl219 loot for healers and tanks, especially in P2 and P3 (large damage spikes on tanks), so it's not trivial in a month when everyone's got some of the higher ilvl loot. We one shot both 25 and 10, with 10 being significantly harder to heal with a not particularly weaker group (early u25 hardmode geared). 10 and 25 do seem to be the same difficulty, which I assume is the idea with 10 and 25 normal modes.

#51 Malleus

Malleus

King Hippo

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

For the 3rd beast, your tanks are most vulnerable after he "wakes up". The combination of him breathing cold on your raid plus starting to hit your tank fairly hard means that it's possible to lose the tank.

Do you have logs for this? TTBOMK, Icehowl doesn't hit the tank - or anyone else - when he's using his breath, as it's a channeled ability.

Incidentally, the cold breath counts as an immobilise effect. It can be removed with Every Man For Himself, and therefore should be removable with any other freedom effect as well. So even if Icehowl does swing when he's breathing, any tank gib can be avoided with a Hand of Freedom. I don't know if the breath gets re-applied if you stay in it, though, I always got out of the way. I shall test this next week if I can.

#52 Houjit

Houjit

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

Pure speculation, but I wonder, when the final boss of the Coliseum is unlocked, how many guilds will extend their raid lockout from the previous week and jump straight to the last encounter (and then into hard modes) or whether Blizzard has put something in place to stop it.

#53 Emeraude

Emeraude

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Pure speculation, but I wonder, when the final boss of the Coliseum is unlocked, how many guilds will extend their raid lockout from the previous week and jump straight to the last encounter (and then into hard modes) or whether Blizzard has put something in place to stop it.

None, the normal modes are quite trivial to any raiding guild at that level, and the Heroic modes require execution, and give you a limited amount of attempts, IE not throwing yourself at it for 12 hours, so there's no point in rushing and not planning it out. I'd expect more guilds to pull a boss once or twice, stop, figure it out, then come back and kill it with the right strategy.
What is the most important thing to you? Won't you grant me the pleasure of taking it away.

#54 Imua

Imua

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

Do you have logs for this? TTBOMK, Icehowl doesn't hit the tank - or anyone else - when he's using his breath, as it's a channeled ability.

Incidentally, the cold breath counts as an immobilise effect. It can be removed with Every Man For Himself, and therefore should be removable with any other freedom effect as well. So even if Icehowl does swing when he's breathing, any tank gib can be avoided with a Hand of Freedom. I don't know if the breath gets re-applied if you stay in it, though, I always got out of the way. I shall test this next week if I can.

Oops. It's not simultaneous - my apologies for the misunderstanding.

But, the cold breath is an immbolize/freeze that may take out more than half your healers. Their first response is probably to shore up the people that are low/taking damage, so when Icehowl turns to beat on the tank, that lapse can easily cause a tank death.

It's mostly a heads up for other folks. He will wake up, turn, and breathe on a portion of the raid. Once he's done breathing, he will start to beat on your tank. Ideally, you mitigate the number of healers that are hit by the freeze/incapacitate effect. Don't panic - make sure your tank healers are still on their assignment.

#55 Blayze

Blayze

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

The 3 NPCs will be waiting for you when you get inside.

My housemate bugged that phase by doing just that, meaning he and his group skipped the entire mounted phase.

#56 Tinwhisker

Tinwhisker

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Just want to add to this, week 5 you should also be able to face hard mode bosses 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 unless theres some other artificial lock in place?

As I speculated in my original post, Blizzard has confirmed that once all five encounters have been unlocked on normal mode they will all be available for heroic mode play. Meaning you can face all of the heroic mode bosses as early as September 1, and begin possibly discussion here of all of the heroic mode encounters on September 15 unless posting guidelines are altered between Sep 1 and Sep 15 (which I expect).

I will say though that before anyone decides to start posting on Sep 15, they should check the sticky as discussion has to actually be opened officially by the moderators.

World of Warcraft (en) Forums -> AC hardmode

#57 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

Here's a nifty li'l pointer to make P2 of the Black Knight a bit less explosive - Grounding Totem absorbs the Corpse Explosion from those ghouls.
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#58 rbbrdckybk

rbbrdckybk

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:37 PM

The beasts of northrend fight seems to be about as difficult as Ulduar 10 normal modes.

We're a very casual 10-man guild that only spends 2-6 hours raiding weekly. We don't have Yogg down yet, and have only done XT hardmode (not attempted any others).

We were able to get the beasts down in about an hour of attempts. This is with no prior knowledge of the fight, and 2 PUGs in our group. We used 2 healers.

Phase 2 (the worms) took us the longest to figure out. Once you know what it going on though, it's pretty easy. If you read the strategy beforehand and have mostly decent players in Ulduar10 gear, I imagine it wouldn't take you more than a few tries.

#59 gcbirzan

gcbirzan

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

We were able to get the beasts down in about an hour of attempts. This is with no prior knowledge of the fight, and 2 PUGs in our group. We used 2 healers.

As we found last night, getting 3 healers makes it way easier to faceroll through the whole thing.

#60 mclem

mclem

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Here's a nifty li'l pointer to make P2 of the Black Knight a bit less explosive - Grounding Totem absorbs the Corpse Explosion from those ghouls.

Does that fail the "I've Had Worse" achievement?

We made an attempt at that achievement yesterday. I believe no player got hit by a corpse explosion - and Recount appears to bear that out - however, a hunter pet did. We didn't get the achievement; I was mildly surprised since I was expecting pets to be exempt from the requirements. Has anyone seen evidence otherwise, because I'm not quite certain Recount was correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users