24 replies to this topic

#1 Seytn

Seytn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:32 PM

PvP realm Korgath - Deadline: Thursday, June 15 at 3:00 PM PDT
Players on these 3 realms will have the opportunity to transfer to the PvP realm Korgath:

Shattered Hand > Korgath
Stormreaver > Korgath
Warsong > Korgath

Since asking in realm forums is like getting yourself shot in the face, i would like to know if any of the other top end guilds from these select servers are debating on going or without a doubt are going.

Insomniacs is seriously thinking about it, the progression on this server(Korgoth) is a touch slow though and without much competition I fear that may be the doom of us. We would probably never see a World Wide top 50 again without some motivation, for those of you who arent familiar with Warsong though, its basically one of the Most Competitive PvP servers around, there are HWL groups consisting from several timezones and different Russian/Brazil/English speaking guilds.
We always have 1 Alterac valley and 3 of Each other PvP battle grounds up, almost throughout the day regardless of time.

I fear the consequenses of moving into a ghost town though.

#2 Mist

Mist

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:27 PM

I'd try to get Midnight to go if other guilds were transfering over. But odds are against it.

#3 Wodin

Wodin

Thoroughly Inebriated

• Moderators
  • 8115 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

For what it's worth, I can remember precisely one successful raid guild surviving a transfer, and quite a few have been killed by it. The problem with the new servers is that they lack a base from which to draw upon - everyone's already in a guild or sucked so horribly they rerolled on a new server with a bunch of big dogs in the hopes of being picked up. There's less interesting stuff going on because there's no competition, the economy is dead, and in general the server just sucks.

Maybe someone can give you a counterexample, but my personal thought is that transferring is a bad idea.

#4 Mist

Mist

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:57 PM

For what it's worth, I can remember precisely one successful raid guild surviving a transfer, and quite a few have been killed by it. The problem with the new servers is that they lack a base from which to draw upon - everyone's already in a guild or sucked so horribly they rerolled on a new server with a bunch of big dogs in the hopes of being picked up. There's less interesting stuff going on because there's no competition, the economy is dead, and in general the server just sucks.

Maybe someone can give you a counterexample, but my personal thought is that transferring is a bad idea.

Warsong has no base from which to draw upon either, almost 2/3rds of the server is non English due to the Russian and Brazillian gaming communities both independently choosing the last place alphabetical PvP server on launch day as their unofficial community server.

I wouldn't really expect people to leave Shattered Hand or Stormreaver, but Warsong is a different story entirely.

#5 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11427 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

The problem with the new servers is that they lack a base from which to draw upon - everyone's already in a guild or sucked so horribly they rerolled on a new server with a bunch of big dogs in the hopes of being picked up. There's less interesting stuff going on because there's no competition, the economy is dead, and in general the server just sucks.

I have seen this as well in server transfers.

Although, if a few other guilds agree to transfer, then at least you have some competition and other people to help form an economy.

#6 Feldia

Feldia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:46 PM

It doesn't appear that any notable guilds are going to be leaving Shattered Hand, but only time can really tell.

#7 Groglox

Groglox

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

I moved my alt from Deathwing to Malorne and this pretty much hits the nail on the head. It is atrocious. PUGs are awful because there either are none at all, or the ones that are there are filled with rejects who couldn't make it on their own server. I highly reccomend against it.

It probably shouldn't surprise me that the first applications of one of the coolest creature designers ever made is going to be cockmonsters and titwalkers.

I mean christ, cunnilingus is much like being a resto shaman, you spam the button and let it do the work. So long as you change targets as appropriate you don't need to put any thought into it.

#8 henaki

henaki

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:10 PM

A lot of guilds survived the Sargeras -> Detheroc transfer, I think 100% of the raid guilds that went with it are still in existance, most notably IO. Not sure if that's who you were thinking about.
Gur - Level 64 Undead Warlock on Hellfire

#9 xkmonkey

xkmonkey

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

Having transfered off of Warsong, to Gurubashi back in early October, I have to say that I'm not sure our guild would have done as well as we have, had we stayed on Warsong. Our guild actually PvPs a lot more now, than it did on Warsong, though that's probably due to lack of queues for Alliance here. I don't think theres anyone currently in our guild right now that regrets transfering.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Gurubashi was a dying server until the Warsong transfers. Even though at the time, the server had progressed that far pve wise due to having a late start, I think transfering has gave the other guilds some motivation to progress more, and they have for the most part, progressed faster I feel, than had we not been there.

When we did transfer, there were a few people left behind, but since moving, the pool of recruits, seems much greater on Gurubashi then it ever did on Warsong, even though it has a much smaller population. As far as competition/motivation for pve progress, we still keep in touch with a few guilds on Warsong, so it is still there for us at least.

#10 Crossbones

Crossbones

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

Relentless stays. Our server is shit, but there's too many risks/uncertainties involved in transferring. We considered transfers the first time they came around (way back -- Bloodsclap) and it was definitely a good thing we decided against it.

#11 Anglakel

Anglakel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

A lot of guilds survived the Sargeras -> Detheroc transfer, I think 100% of the raid guilds that went with it are still in existance, most notably IO. Not sure if that's who you were thinking about.

I was thinking Nurfed Archimonde -> Dethecus personally.

#12 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2351 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

Nurfed, FoH? There's at least two that (as far as I know) are doing well post-transfer.

#13 xkmonkey

xkmonkey

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

Don't forget Vis Maior.

#14 Mist

Mist

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Don't forget Vis Maior.

That was a long time ago, and they had just moved from an entire other game, I don't think moving from one server to another was really going to have much impact.

#15 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

• Moderators
  • 9107 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

I think Sunder's still doing all right on Khaz Modan. Not sure, I don't play there, just have some friends that do.
Lampkin in EJBSG 28 | Anders in EJBSG 24 | Cavil in EJBSG 20
Boomer in EJBSG 19 | Roslin in EJBSG 17 | Roslin in EJBSG 13 | Roslin in EJBSG 8
MTG Online draft viewer

#16 Mist

Mist

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:50 PM

Fires of Heaven got their own server to transfer to. PvP too! :P

#17 Adiar

Adiar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

Didn't FoH do Hyjal -> Black Dragonflight?

#18 Wodin

Wodin

Thoroughly Inebriated

• Moderators
  • 8115 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

Well, I forgot about FoH when I wrote that. :P I was thinking of Nurfed, but the IO example is I guess another example of survival.

#19 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

Wodin is referring to transfers to new servers, not transfers to exisiting ones. Nurfed, FoH, etc., are examples of transfers to existing servers that already had communities and players. Is Korgath new or pre-existing? If its new, I wouldn't even consider it for the reasons Wodin listed. If its pre-existing, where are its guilds progression wise? Transferring to an exisiting server can work out just fine. Reign (a guild from Gorgonnash server) transferred to Gorgonnash from Arthas, and are doing just fine. They have, however, lost people here and there, and without a pool of server natives to draw recruits from it might not have gone so well.

Edit: Oh, I guess he wasn't. Regardless, transferring to an existing server and transferring to a new one are two very different things.

#20 Veng

Veng

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:52 PM

In terms of successful transfers to fresh servers, I'd say the Archimonde, Burning Legion, Bleeding Hollow, Burning Blade, Azgalor and Skullcrusher to Mug'thol was extremely successful. We decided to leave Archimonde on our third opportunity to transfer, mainly because the entire server was transfering as well. Archimonde as it once was effectively died after the last set of transfers.

The major reason the move was successful is due to the sheer amount of servers eligible to transfer. A large pool of good guilds and players transfered, which makes Mug'thol a pretty competitive server for both PvE and PvP.

It was pretty funny to play on a server for a good 3-4 weeks without any farmers at all. With the ability to start new characters turned off, no farmers could roll new characters there :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users