Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:15 AM

deleted

#42 Royalite

Royalite

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

I was purely comparing Glyphs there, not commenting on ideal AoE rotations.

AoE situations are all slightly different--if you're trying to completely optimize DPS at a progression encounter, I'd check the damage done by each of your spells in the spreadsheet and use that to plan out an ideal sequence (remember assumption made about debuffs).

We're not supposed to talk about Heroic Anub yet so I'll only speak generally--5 mobs lasting more than a few seconds each. If had to guess at the right rotation, it would be pure Hurricane spam, not tab-IS. Maybe with a Moonfire cast periodically to proc the Idol and hope for a NG for your Hurricane, that's an interesting option.

If it turns out that you're using IS very little during the DPS-senstive part of the fight, you might use Glyph of Starfall. The big benefit is two NG'd Hurricanes from each Starfall. But again, use what you know about the fight to plan it out exactly--how long is the phase and how many Starfalls will you get, how often are you dotting the boss between add spawns, etc.--and compute what's better.

Clarification apprecaited and I apologize. The H-Anub was meant as an example in understanding the mechanics of starfall w/ glyphs and to better understand the point of the double damage scaling of starfall that was mentioned. My purpose wasn't to derail the thread into a HAnub strat for moonkins.

Also I don't know if it is worth mentioning. I know most here are Squawk & Awe lovers, but since you mentioned Quartz in your article. It seems appropriate. Quartz has an eclipse module for moonkins. While I haven't used S&A in a while so I can't make a point for point comparison but I can say that I have no issues tracking my procs, dots and CDs with it. So those more comfortable with Quartz might prefer or want to try it.
Quartz: Eclipse Module - Addons - Curse

#43 Santos78

Santos78

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

Awesome write up, I took a long vacation from WoW, but came back a few weeks ago. My gear was mostly Naxx25 with a few Ulduar 25 Hardmode pieces. Being the only raiding moonkin in my guild means that I am welcome into most raids for my 5% crit bonus even though I was/am undergeared a bit. So in my quest to make my dps formidable once again, I really like this article. ;)

#44 Cdin

Cdin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

Is this the correct link for WiseEclipse?
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download WiseEclipsev1.0.1.rar

Also, I gave the code a quick scan--looks like it's just my macro, but triggering on UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED. Which is good--I think that's exactly what we want. Will add it in.

This is a very interesting addon, that I would love to try. However, I have an issue with the source.

I am not saying either of you guys are Keyloggers or wrote anything malicious into the code, but I don't know that I can be 100% sure this addon is safe. It is my understanding that Curse Gaming and WoWInterface reviews addons submitted to them so that users can download them comfortably.

Just for security of mind for my readers and myself, could one of you guys submit this addon to Curse and/or WoWInterface?
www.GrayMatterWoW.blogspot.com - My Moonkin related Blog.

#45 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11581 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

This is a very interesting addon, that I would love to try. However, I have an issue with the source.

I am not saying either of you guys are Keyloggers or wrote anything malicious into the code, but I don't know that I can be 100% sure this addon is safe. It is my understanding that Curse Gaming and WoWInterface reviews addons submitted to them so that users can download them comfortably.

Just for security of mind for my readers and myself, could one of you guys submit this addon to Curse and/or WoWInterface?

It's hard to do much malicious with addons since they run in a protected environment using an API provided with the WoW client. I'm pretty sure all Curse/WI do is make sure their downloads contain only addon files and not things like .exe's. Anyway, you can look at the source yourself, it's very short.

#46 Cdin

Cdin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:15 PM

It's hard to do much malicious with addons since they run in a protected environment using an API provided with the WoW client. I'm pretty sure all Curse/WI do is make sure their downloads contain only addon files and not things like .exe's. Anyway, you can look at the source yourself, it's very short.

I'm sure what you say is true, but the format in which this addon is being presented is unusual. That sets off alarm bells when even the most careful of people are getting hacked.

I am not a technology professional. I don't know the website 4shared.com. I don't know what the file extention .rar means. I might be able to understand the source code, but I'm not a programmer of any sort, so it is far form certain.

If I'm understanding what this addon does correctly, then it is a big boost to moonkin. I just would like it presented in a way that some players aren't thrown off by its unusual distribution.

Either way, I will test it tonight, and post something on my blog about it tomorrow.

#47 Adoriele

Adoriele

Happy October 19th!

• Members
  • 10089 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

I'm sure what you say is true, but the format in which this addon is being presented is unusual. That sets off alarm bells when even the most careful of people are getting hacked.

I am not a technology professional. I don't know the website 4shared.com. I don't know what the file extention .rar means. I might be able to understand the source code, but I'm not a programmer of any sort, so it is far form certain.

If I'm understanding what this addon does correctly, then it is a big boost to moonkin. I just would like it presented in a way that some players aren't thrown off by its unusual distribution.

Either way, I will test it tonight, and post something on my blog about it tomorrow.

Gray: a.) You can trust Hamlet not to give you malicious code. b.) Unless it's an executable file, nothing's going to go wrong anyway. .rar is the extension WinRar uses to zip up files, it's just another file compression mechanism (which, by the way, you will need to install WinRar to open it). Inside will be the files you'd normally expect for an addon. I'm not sure why it's not being hosted on Curse or WoWI (actually, I'm also not sure that it's not there, too. It may just be easier to link to a different file host for Hamlet).

I would be worried about making the addon too public, though, at least if it does what it proclaims to - i.e. allowing you to, for a short period, have both the Lunar Eclipse 45% crit buff and the ability to proc Solar Eclipse. That's very likely unintended, and if people are using the mod to do it, Blizzard will fix it. Not that it would become as "required" of a mod as SAA was, as the benefit isn't nearly the same scale as always knowing when Eclipse was coming off ICD, but Blizzard doesn't like people intentionally reproducing unintended behavior.

#48 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11581 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:47 PM

Gray: a.) You can trust Hamlet not to give you malicious code. b.) Unless it's an executable file, nothing's going to go wrong anyway. .rar is the extension WinRar uses to zip up files, it's just another file compression mechanism (which, by the way, you will need to install WinRar to open it). Inside will be the files you'd normally expect for an addon. I'm not sure why it's not being hosted on Curse or WoWI (actually, I'm also not sure that it's not there, too. It may just be easier to link to a different file host for Hamlet).

I would be worried about making the addon too public, though, at least if it does what it proclaims to - i.e. allowing you to, for a short period, have both the Lunar Eclipse 45% crit buff and the ability to proc Solar Eclipse. That's very likely unintended, and if people are using the mod to do it, Blizzard will fix it. Not that it would become as "required" of a mod as SAA was, as the benefit isn't nearly the same scale as always knowing when Eclipse was coming off ICD, but Blizzard doesn't like people intentionally reproducing unintended behavior.

The guy who wrote the addon is earlier on this thread--he can host it there if he wants. It probably would help get it out to people more; it's kind of obscure now.

If it gets changed, it gets changed. I'm not sure it's all that likely, though. The basic mechanic at heart (delay between crit computation and arrival) is the same as with Shatter combos, which Blizzard has talked about many times and isn't planning to fix.

#49 Cdin

Cdin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:04 PM

My first post in this thread came off a little harsher then I intended.

Just for the record, I am not trying to call Hamlet's charicter into question in anyway. He has obviously done a lot for the moonkin community and I trust his comments. His reputation is exactly why I am willing to download and try the addon out tonight.

I am also not trying to say anything bad about Copialinex. I don't know him, but in general I think the chance that an addon is malicious is pretty low.

My point was that this addon sounds like a great tool that many people will be interested in. However, the manner it is presented in will give some people pause. A site like Curse or WoWInterface will do better for its distribution.

That said, I understand why you don't want to post it Hamlet, since you didn't create the actual addon.

Regarding making this addon too public:

If Blizzard reads my blog from time to time you can be sure they read EJ a lot more. So, I assume that if they don't know about the addon now they will find out about it soon.

#50 Adoriele

Adoriele

Happy October 19th!

• Members
  • 10089 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

Regarding making this addon too public:

If Blizzard reads my blog from time to time you can be sure they read EJ a lot more. So, I assume that if they don't know about the addon now they will find out about it soon.

Eh, I was referring more to the proliferation of use than the visibility. I'm sure that even if Blizzard knows about the addon (which they probably do), they couldn't care less if 1% of the Moonkin population uses it. EJ's very much not the best way to distribute an addon, and while Blizzard may know about it it's unlikely that a major portion of the Moonkin community do (publishing the TTT article would definitely increase its visibility, though). Post a link to it on a blog that has confirmed blue readership, and it'll likely catch on fairly quickly. Same if it's hosted on a site like Curse, where you can search for "Moonkin Addons" and get a hit on it.

#51 copialinex

copialinex

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

1) I want to claim all the responsibility for the addon, I'm the author (of the addon). The author of the macro which the addon is based in is Hamlet, I don't want to take the credit for it
2) 4shared.com is an average site for storage online, I could have used Megaupload instead, but I prefer 4shared because you can maintain the link and change the files.
3) I've updated it, adding and removing stuff, but the core remains the same, all the changes are in the changelog in readme.txt or in the WiseEclipse.lua
4) I haven't uploaded it to Curse (I tried) because I found it very confusing... It's the very first addon I've created and I have no experience in uploading addons. I'd say that I didn't try harder because I wasn't thrilled with Blizzard finding out.
5) I use .rar because it's a neaty way to store the files... not having the .lua in one link, the .toc in other... (I also thougth it was widely known)
6) As I've said before, If you want me to explain any part of the code, I'd be pleased to do so.

EDIT: Well, I wanted to emphasize that if you have some question of the addon, I'm here to show the face for it, I don't want you to think I don't apreciate the effort you made supporting my addon in the previous posts, but I think it's my responsibility, also, I don't want people to think the macro is mine, the macro is Hamlet's, as it shows in the author's note inside the addon. (I only automatized the macro and added a Hero/BL support)
Adoriele) I must apologize, I wrote this post very fast and I may have not chosen the best words to explain what I wanted to.

#52 Adoriele

Adoriele

Happy October 19th!

• Members
  • 10089 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:08 PM

1) I want to claim all the responsibility for the addon, I'm the author, period.
4) I haven't uploaded it to Curse (I tried) because I found it very confusing... It's the very first addon I've created and I have no experience in uploadig addons. I'd say that I didn't try harder because I wasn't thrilled with Blizzard finding out.

Sorry about that, my bad. I remember Hamlet coming up with a macro and brainfarted into thinking that WiseEclipse was also his. That said, look at WoWInterface for uploading it if you're interested, I found it incredibly easy to get SAA up there for the first time. I have almost no idea how to go about that on Curse, though, someone else put it up there without my permission and when the guys at Curse transferred it to me I didn't have them take it down. Don't think I ever updated it after that point either.

#53 copialinex

copialinex

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

That said, look at WoWInterface for uploading it if you're interested, I found it incredibly easy to get SAA up there for the first time. I have almost no idea how to go about that on Curse, though, someone else put it up there without my permission and when the guys at Curse transferred it to me I didn't have them take it down. Don't think I ever updated it after that point either.

Uploaded to WoWinterface:
WiseEclipse : WoWInterface Downloads : Druid
However, I'll maintain the other link, feel free to choose between them.
Thanks for the advice!

e: typo

#54 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11581 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:56 PM

Spreadsheet now has a rudimentary estimation of added NG uptime due to Starfall. It's a tiny effect anyway, but it's there. It's also saved with data table calculation activated again, so it should work as normal.

#55 Mawic

Mawic

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

[*]Force of Nature: If casting this immediately after an instant, you have to press the spell key and then click a targeting reticle in the world frame, losing a small amount of time.

I'm not sure I understand the "If" condition on the front of that sentence. Are you saying that if I cast Force of Nature immediately after a non-instant cast spell that I can avoid the targeting reticle?

I tried casting Starfire immediately followed by Force of Nature a few times and still had to click the ground to target. I just want to check if the wording is unclear, or if I just fail at trees.

If there's any way to get rid of that blankety-blank ground targeting and just have my trees spawn near my current target with no extra clicks, I'd celebrate for a week.

#56 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11581 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

I'm not sure I understand the "If" condition on the front of that sentence. Are you saying that if I cast Force of Nature immediately after a non-instant cast spell that I can avoid the targeting reticle?

I tried casting Starfire immediately followed by Force of Nature a few times and still had to click the ground to target. I just want to check if the wording is unclear, or if I just fail at trees.

If there's any way to get rid of that blankety-blank ground targeting and just have my trees spawn near my current target with no extra clicks, I'd celebrate for a week.

No, you always have to click. But you don't lose time if you cast FoN after a cast-time spell, since you can press the key during the spell and click the ground as it ends. After an instant, you can't even press the key until the GCD is up.

#57 nesf

nesf

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

This isn't a moonkin specific addon but it is something that many moonkin players may find useful.

Tell Me When - Curse Addons

This addon will display a large icon of a particular spell when it comes off cooldown anywhere you want on screen. Personally I find it excellent for keeping track of Force of Nature and Starfall during more hectic fights to maximise uptime for both. Having a large Force of Nature or Starfall icon appear and stay in the part of of your screen that you most focus attention on is invaluable. When the ability is on cooldown no icon is present which means you can have it somewhere that would obstruct your view if it was constantly in view.

The only complaint I'd have with it is that it doesn't turn off or change when you activate your other spec so you end up with said icon in your field of view but a quick trip to the Interface menu and enable and disable it so it's not too bad.

#58 Poromu

Poromu

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:23 PM

This isn't a moonkin specific addon but it is something that many moonkin players may find useful.

Tell Me When - Curse Addons

Power Auras is much more customizable and not as annoying to deal with, look into it.

Edit: Nevermind that question - it's answered in the body text.

#59 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11581 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

This is posted now (sig).
Not going to be updating the version on this thread anymore (can probably lock thread).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users