• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

This seems like a good time for a reminder about the EJ Recruitment Policy. That is all.

#2 Zalera

Zalera

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:12 AM

But when pay-to-transfer server transfers open up, I was going to... :(

#3 Hamoshin

Hamoshin

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

That post is hilarious. How did EJ get started? What's you guys' history?
I used to have a huge image here, but then it got removed and now I\'ve developed chronic depression and suicidal tendencies. /wrists
http://ctprofiles.net/7275

#4 Taeme

Taeme

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:50 AM

EJ is the beta somethingawful.com goon squad. We were named differently because (they) wanted a tight-knit group of people who had run together for a while, not the bloating behemoth that GS promised to be. I'm not a beta member, though, so there might be more to it - Then again, neither is Gurgthock. A lot of us are people who joined the more mature and friendly guild after troubles with GS. The guild's history is filled with recruiting, but that is all it is : History. I think I can count the number of new members in the last six months on one hand.

Also all our recruiting was like, dude, get me in your weird WoW guild! Sweet! Nothing raid oriented ever.
you're the one that decided to trust me

#5 Steelfleece

Steelfleece

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:50 AM

EJ is the beta somethingawful.com goon squad. We were named differently because (they) wanted a tight-knit group of people who had run together for a while, not the bloating behemoth that GS promised to be. I'm not a beta member, though, so there might be more to it - Then again, neither is Gurgthock. A lot of us are people who joined the more mature and friendly guild after troubles with GS. The guild's history is filled with recruiting, but that is all it is : History. I think I can count the number of new members in the last six months on one hand.

Also all our recruiting was like, dude, get me in your weird WoW guild! Sweet! Nothing raid oriented ever.

Funny how things work out, eh?
If you aren't a goblin, why not?
If you are a goblin you rule

#6 Rarek

Rarek

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:52 AM

If people don't post app threads here where will I get my daily entertainment. :(

#7 Nite_Moogle

Nite_Moogle

I prefer the term treasure hunting

• Allied Members
  • 11,288 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:08 PM

I'm surprised you guys haven't encouraged Alliance to transfer given the server's notorious population imbalance.

Eh, my nostalgia goggles aren't as good as they used to be.

#8 Taeme

Taeme

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 3,272 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:14 PM

Actually alliance did transfer and Mal'Ganis is now a pretty balanced server. We have solid queues and people in EJ are much happier than they were before.

But of course there was a queue to log in tonight, which uh, is not something we are accustomed too.
you're the one that decided to trust me

#9 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:35 PM

EJ is the beta somethingawful.com goon squad. We were named differently because (they) wanted a tight-knit group of people who had run together for a while, not the bloating behemoth that GS promised to be. I'm not a beta member, though, so there might be more to it.

Actually, that's the most accurate description I've seen in a long time.

A lot of us played beta together, wanted to keep playing together, but got spooked when open beta happened and guildchat turned into an ever-increasing mess that required constant moderation. That and it was obvious that most of the "new blood" wanted to play casually and goof around more than knuckle up and get to the endgame. So, we split prior to release and renamed ourselves Hooligan Syndicate. Months later, when we found ourselves in MC et al and using /random, we announced to GS (who we were still raiding with) that we were going to implement a point system for looting. The shit hit the fan because they were still pretty casual and GOONY GOON GOONS SHOULDN'T CARE ABOUT TRIVIAL THINGS LIKE WHO GETS WHAT LOOT BECAUSE WE'RE ALL GOONS AND WE PLAY JUST TO HAVE FUN, we renamed ourselves Elitist Jerks to reflect the resulting sentiment, and we pretty much divorced from GS altogether.

Also, you can now stop switching to M'G, people. Go away. The lag and queue last night was crap and we're full and don't want more of you.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#10 The Jesus Fish

The Jesus Fish

Great Tiger

• Guild Members
  • 951 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

And for those of you wondering: Yes, Kaubel was a dick in beta too. But he gave me green whelp armor so he will always be my favorite :wubwub:.

So guys, I have this friend who plays on our server.......
"If I feel it is neccessary to talk down to you I will, and I do not care if it hurts your feelings... don't talk about shit you don't understand" -Ike

#11 diospadre

diospadre

Hero of the Horde

• Guild Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

make sure hes a warrior

#12 Tuco

Tuco

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

But of course there was a queue to log in tonight, which uh, is not something we are accustomed too.

Yeah, sorry about that one. There might've been too much lag from me holy novaing the skitterers around Faerlina. I did hear some rumors that Blizzard had some network problems and lowered the queue bar such that we got an abnormal queue last night.

I can say that on Arthas usually we'll encounter horrendous lag for an hour(where we will stop raiding and go AFK for about 45 minutes), then a queue will be put on, and the lag will subside for the night. Last night there was never any substantial lag, so either MG puts a queue out before the server goes to hell, or the rumors are true.

That being said, if I reroll a troll rogue on MG can I get into EJ? I want to see if the totem buffing system for shamans is as fantastically better than blessings as our paladins say it is.

#13 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, I think it's no coincidence that the queues happened to come at the same time as gamewide server/network instability last night. I'd certainly hope that Blizzard would close transfers to a server long before it actually reached the point of login queues.

#14 Graham

Graham

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:53 PM

I want to see if the totem buffing system for shamans is as fantastically better than blessings as our paladins say it is.

I've just died from laughter.

Tell your paladins they can pretend that they have totems instead of blessings quite easily. They can only cast them on people in thier party, have to recast them every couple of minutes, and they have to be within 30 yards of everyone who wants the blessing, at the same time, for the duration of the effect.

#15 chalon

chalon

Founder of the Chalonverse

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:55 PM

Hey guys I have a level 60 NE rogue, what are my chances if I xfer to Mal'ganis?!

#16 Lurchington

Lurchington

King Hippo

• Allied Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, I think it's no coincidence that the queues happened to come at the same time as gamewide server/network instability last night. I'd certainly hope that Blizzard would close transfers to a server long before it actually reached the point of login queues.

I think they'd allow any and all transfers until a certain time, and then re-evaluate.

While it'd be great for them to cut it off right before queues hit, I'm sure they allowed people to transfer over with their friends or guildmates as long as they did it by that certain time. That and perhaps Blizzard is subscribing to the same theory that says you overbook a plane, knowing that at some point the MG demand may drop, and some people may transfer themselves.

#17 Tuco

Tuco

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:21 PM

When they announced the transfer the internal official position my guild has was that we'd wait it out, see who transfered then go to somewhere we thought was good. Then we see that Mal'Ganis has no lag, overabundance of horde, new hardware etc, and everyone is going there. Our biggest fear is that many will follow in our footsteps and flood the server with lag and high queues(Already we're often seeing significant alliance queues).

I'm kind of surprised more guilds didn't transfer. It seems like Arthas is the only contributor of large guilds, out of 20 or so that can transfer.

We're more or less banking on Blizzard closing down transfers to MG before they open up more servers to transfer. We're also expecting the cross-BGs to detroy our loverly queue times.

#18 squiffy

squiffy

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

I'd certainly hope that Blizzard would close transfers to a server long before it actually reached the point of login queues.

I'm pretty sure I can safely say that's not in their thinking. Blackrock has had queues to log on since release, peaking at around the 3,000 mark. During school holidays there are nightly queues of 200 or so, peaking to around 1,000 in the weekends, and other times we are usually queue free until the weekends when it will approach 300 or so.

Blackrock has had three previous "transfer out" options, due to it's size and instability.

They allowed transfers _to_ our server from the moment they opened up the paid transfers.

Blizzard are damnably retarded sometimes.

#19 SHADOWPRIEST

SHADOWPRIEST

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:04 AM

umm.. so when we r discussing the history of EJ, can someone tell me how gurg was chosen to be the GM?

#20 Kasi

Kasi

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

Umm. As far as I know he's not. IIRC Werebeef is? Not sure though. I think Gurgthock is just their raid leader. Kinda a similar situation in my guild. I was reaid leader, a friend was guild leader.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users