• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 Slug

Slug

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:00 PM

What happens when 90% of your healers who have been with you since MC/BWL decide they hate healing and quit the game or roll new DPS characters?

What happens when your server has an anemic Horde population that is split between 3 "top" guilds, and there's hardly any new blood coming in through natural rerolls?

What happens when you're not the top dog guild that can skim off the cream of the crop?

You cancel your account and go play Prey instead, because it's pretty sweet and doesn't require all this "other people" crap.

#122 Falcon24

Falcon24

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

A short Slug post what the fuck is going on

#123 Darke

Darke

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

What happens when 90% of your healers who have been with you since MC/BWL decide they hate healing and quit the game or roll new DPS characters?

What happens when your server has an anemic Horde population that is split between 3 "top" guilds, and there's hardly any new blood coming in through natural rerolls?

What happens when you're not the top dog guild that can skim off the cream of the crop?

You cancel your account and go play Prey instead, because it's pretty sweet and doesn't require all this "other people" crap.

Trust me, I'm pretty close on giving up on MMOGs altogether.

#124 TheRealJon

TheRealJon

Amazing Racist!

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

Wait, wait, wait .... the original "Quake Killer" actually came out?

#125 Kasi

Kasi

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, at times I almost feel like Darke here. Doesn't help me that I'm stressed irl from looking for work. But still. My raiding group broke up. It's gone now. Got hijacked by others, all the best people burned out and left and the people who hijacked it ran it into the ground. Me and some fellow good friends (and hardcore players) from there rerolled elsewhere, but have had a brutal time levelling up meeting good people. We have a nice little guild, but there is like 8-9 active players max. I don't know if on Runetotem if we will be able to build a raiding guild. Perhaps joining one will work, but if I was going to join an already formed raiding guild wouldn't I just do that with my Horde mage who almost has nothing he needs from Ony/MC?

So yeah I think maybe I should transfer with my mage. And perhaps bring my friends shaman, priest and warlock with me. Maybe there is some other hardcore horde raiding guild out there that has good people, committed players, an openness to specs/styles (aka no innervate must required specs, feral druids are trash, etc) that would fit our small groups style. But then I find out that yeah my gear isn't good enough. To get to the good guilds that are stable (especially in Horde that's rare) you need to be in T2 gear, wihch I just don't have. And unless I join some horde guild on my old server and just use them to get T2 then I'm not getting it. And I won't do that. And transferring to a guild that is dying from attrition and is desperate for anyone won't work. Even 4 people if I bring them isn't going to be enough to save a guild that is in that situation. I'd want a stable guild. Something like Carnival or Ej or something along that mold. And either those guilds are not recruiting, are not available due to Euro/Pvp/PVE issues or want people in T2 gear. So I feel sort of screwed. No win situation and all.

#126 XI-

XI-

Does Not Play Well With Others.

• Allied Members
  • 9,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 09:38 PM

Yes, random apps are incredibly hard to judge. But geared people with friends who can vouch for them? Why wouldn't that be appealing? I certainly can understand a person being willing to leave their guild to play with RL friends, especially if the guild was falling apart.

I'm 100% positive Ruro was only referring to complete strangers. Actual friends, folks with whom guildmates are intimately familiar, are an entirely different and acceptable group of people.

Oh yeah, apparently I can't read.

Either way transfer apps must be very appealing to guilds that need geared people more than they need to their guild atmosphere intact. We have 40~ transfer apps that I know of right now, and more come every day, and we aren't even recruiting! I can't imagine how many apps DNT gets, or a big-name guild that is actually recruiting gets. The thing that sucks about transfer apps is that you are very much rolling the dice when you recruit them, because if they suck they just wasted $25 and 6 months of their time, plus there is no past history. It is pretty surprising when raid leaders and guild officers put up apps though, so much for loyalty!

Before the rather nasty message I posted on our front page, that seemed to get the point across we were fielding around 30-40 apps per day. Since then thankfully, it's slowed to a trickle. At DnT we have a rather unique perspective on the scenario, seeing as we've been recruiting cross server for probably close to 3 months. Having exhausted the available on server talent, we decided to try out a few rerolls from other servers, most notably a few people we took on from the Bloodsworn (i believe) leadership. Almost all of them have worked out exceptionally for us.

As for your comment about raid leaders, and officer, honestly these are the people I look for. If you examined the way most mid-tier guilds function it's very few people (5-10) usually in leadership positions dragging the rest along. I've been in this scenario, when I was in Discordia for example. We had a small number of highly skilled and motivated people, pulling the rest through the instances. Thus the people a top guild would look for to be cogs in the wheel, would be the top people from a smaller, less advanced guild.

in before JOHN FUCKING MADDEN

#127 Zagzil

Zagzil

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 10:06 PM

Before the rather nasty message I posted on our front page, that seemed to get the point across we were fielding around 30-40 apps per day. Since then thankfully, it's slowed to a trickle. At DnT we have a rather unique perspective on the scenario, seeing as we've been recruiting cross server for probably close to 3 months. Having exhausted the available on server talent, we decided to try out a few rerolls from other servers, most notably a few people we took on from the Bloodsworn (i believe) leadership. Almost all of them have worked out exceptionally for us.

We've actually been doing the same thing for months (7-8?) now, taking rerolls and re-gearing them, pretty much every one has turned amazingly for us. The vast majority have also had ties within the guild before they rerolled, so of course that helps immensely. I'm sure the ex-Bloodsworn guys in your guild could tell you more if you asked, heh.

Ironically though, when we least need cross-server apps we get a ton. I've heard some insane stories about rerollers who want to join you guys already, luckily our server is both full and terrible so we don't have to worry about that.

Though I think paid transfers are a good thing, I can't imagine apping for a guild I have absolutely 0 ties to and just know by name alone. Seems like you'd have a lot to prove as a recruit.

#128 Darke

Darke

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:14 AM

Actually a fairly fascinating thing a guild member of mine brought up is that with the current server transfers WoW is now in a short lived age of "free agency", where players, especially Horde players, are going to try to end up in the best guild for them cross servers. It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

#129 sevenlives

sevenlives

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:50 AM

I would trust a complete reroll much more fully than a transfer. It takes ~14 full days of your time and a complete risk to level a new toon on a new server. If you xfer you can always play with your gear in a lesser guild and bide your time, but a reroll is a naked player with no gear, no rep, and potentially no friends leveling by himself with no gold handed to him, no items to twink with. Its a very dautning procedure before you factor in the fact you still have to app to said uberguild and hope the class you rolled to join is one that is still desireable once you have completed your leveling. You may have to sully your rep to gear for the uberguild, or may accidentally offend a friend of a member or a twink...its just a much bigger variable as a reroll, a much larger commitment when untagged, and it carries much more weight in my mind.
Posted Image

#130 Mist

Mist

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:16 AM

A lot of people have taken the 'going mercenary' approach from the transfers. In the end, I see a lot less 'second best' type guilds being around, and the top guilds getting a lot stronger for it. Everybody is just feeding off each other at this point, as an officer I'm looking at recruiting the officers and 'class leaders' of guilds below ours.

In my guild, we've got 3 bosses down in Naxx and should have 5 down by the end of next week, but our server is dying because everyone left and yet the hardware still lags. We need to transfer, but we can't survive a transfer due to all sorts of issues. Despite the troubles, I'm really, really impressed with my guilds progress in Naxx so far from an officer standpoint. On the other hand, however, I'd personally love to transfer and join a guild like DnT etc. Being an officer of a raiding guild for over a year is tiring, and I'd love to just be a good little soldier again. I've got the best possible gear in the game for my class/spec right now, 99% attendance rate for the past year with my guild I'm in now, but I'd love to be in a guild that never had to set foot in MC, BWL or Naxx again if it didn't want to. So I'm quite conflicted.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that if I left, I know my guild wouldn't last out the month. I'm not gonna have that on my conscience. But if the situation were slightly different, I'd be posting apps for every major alliance guild there is, just like everyone and their brother is right now.

#131 Oaklin

Oaklin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

Server transfers are akin to the economic globalisation of the world economy.

'Protected' national (local server) industries (guilds) that fail to compete will lose talent/resources to the globally successful ones.
'Local' talent will be replaced with 'foriegn' talent that are more skilful/hardworking etc..
It may be a harsher (more competitive) environment, but those with the talent and the drive will have more freedom and flexibility than ever before.

That said, this is just a game, and sometimes I really wonder if Blizzard intended for it to be so difficult to get into the endgame, and so insanely demanding to manage an endgame raiding guild.

I am on an Oceanic server, so there really isnt anywhere for most of my server population to go, though apparently thousands of Aussies/Kiwis/Asians now want to transfer onto our already horribly overpopulated and lagged server. (We are the only Oceanic PvE server that allows transfers in)

#132 Xizorz

Xizorz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

We've actually been doing the same thing for months (7-8?) now, taking rerolls and re-gearing them, pretty much every one has turned amazingly for us. The vast majority have also had ties within the guild before they rerolled, so of course that helps immensely. I'm sure the ex-Bloodsworn guys in your guild could tell you more if you asked, heh.

Ironically though, when we least need cross-server apps we get a ton. I've heard some insane stories about rerollers who want to join you guys already, luckily our server is both full and terrible so we don't have to worry about that.

Though I think paid transfers are a good thing, I can't imagine apping for a guild I have absolutely 0 ties to and just know by name alone. Seems like you'd have a lot to prove as a recruit.

The reason for that seems obvious: just look at the Naxxramas progression thread.

As hard as you find it to judge a recruit as a guild, its just as hard to judge a guild as a recruit.

#133 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

WTB more Horde on Mal'Ganis. :)

#134 jubelio

jubelio

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 1,645 posts