Photo

Question re: Skeram/Earth Shock/Range bug (?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kazanir

Kazanir

Mr. Sandman

•  Patrons
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:02 AM

We are currently working on Skeram. We've had 2 good nights of wiping to him, using the strats that are all over the net. From what we understand, if he is tanked properly, he will never use his Earth Shock -- he Earth Shocks the target he has aggro on if that target is not in melee range. However, we have had repeated instances of him chain Earth Shocking the tanks who are simultaneously in melee with him and also dealing and taking melee damage. This is causing the majority of our wipes at this point; healing is otherwise not a problem, sheeping is fine, DPS on adds is fine, etc. However, a Skeram starts chain Earth Shocking his tank then it's really hard to keep him up, and things go downhill from there. The fact that tanks in melee are eating repeated Earth Shocks leads me to one of two conclusions:

1) The information we have is wrong, and Earth Shock is not affected by proximity.

2) Somehow the fight is bugged, and Skeram is Earth Shocking when he supposedly should just melee the tank.

A sample of our main tank's combat log:

Posted Image

This is within the space of 20-30 seconds; Plainsburner is Earth Shocked 14 times, 5 resisted, while in melee with Skeram the whole way. What gives?

Does anyone here have any input on this issue? Is there something I am misunderstanding about the mechanics involved here, or are we experiencing something out of the ordinary?
'War' is too small a word for what I'm fighting. Like a candle in front of the whole burning Sun. Now, I am not going to die today. I have other projects, and other options.

You can come with me. I can protect you.

#2 Hamoshin

Hamoshin

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:13 AM

Is your tank meleeing Skeram back, or is he simply in melee range?
I used to have a huge image here, but then it got removed and now I\'ve developed chronic depression and suicidal tendencies. /wrists
http://ctprofiles.net/7275

#3 Beliandra

Beliandra

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

I've seen some strange Earthshocks which really didn't seem like they should be happening, although never anything as blatant as what your combat log shows. I always blamed lag (last refuge of the scoundrel).

#4 LucidityAxel

LucidityAxel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:15 AM

The most likely explanation for what you are seeing is that your tanks are getting confused and going after the same mob when they stack on a blink. This would leave one untanked Skeram, merrily earth shocking away.

I have never seen him shock anyone within melee range.

#5 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 04:18 AM

Unless you just have it filtered out, the problem there is he isn't hitting Skerem.

#6 sekdar

sekdar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 06:18 AM

I'm unable to tell from the details you've given, but if a tank has aggro on two or more copies of Skeram, they will ES spam him regardless of range until they each have separate targets.

#7 Kazanir

Kazanir

Mr. Sandman

•  Patrons
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:46 AM

Unless you just have it filtered out, the problem there is he isn't hitting Skeram.

Is your tank meleeing Skeram back, or is he simply in melee range?

Plainsburner reports that it's filtered, he was definitely hitting him back. :P

The most likely explanation for what you are seeing is that your tanks are getting confused and going after the same mob when they stack on a blink. This would leave one untanked Skeram, merrily earth shocking away.

I have never seen him shock anyone within melee range.

I'm unable to tell from the details you've given, but if a tank has aggro on two or more copies of Skeram, they will ES spam him regardless of range until they each have separate targets.

This is good to know, if it's true. However, Plains tells me that this log is from just one Skeram with whom he was engaged, there were no copies there for the duration of this log. Seems pretty silly.
'War' is too small a word for what I'm fighting. Like a candle in front of the whole burning Sun. Now, I am not going to die today. I have other projects, and other options.

#8 Fluster

Fluster

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

If someone is hitting Skeram, the Earth Shock doesn't happen, period.

We just have everyone start battering on him or the copies as soon as they appear, regardless of class and the tanks just pick it up as soon as they can, his normal melee damage is pretty light.

The only tricky situation is with 2 copies in one spot.. but it's not terribly hard to just select the new one and get a hit in or two to stop him Shocking and just tank both.

#9 Dozer

Dozer

I know a dead parrot when I see one

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:13 AM

Well you have to give your healers a pat on the back for keeping him alive through all that!

#10 Kazanir

Kazanir

Mr. Sandman

•  Patrons
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

If someone is hitting Skeram, the Earth Shock doesn't happen, period.

This was our impression, but Plainsburner's log indicates otherwise. (As noted, Plains was definitely hitting Skeram back during that whole business.) Hence this post asking if anyone else has seen this?

Well you have to give your healers a pat on the back for keeping him alive through all that!

Thx. ;) Healing was not our issue last night; every single one of our tank deaths can be attributed to not only the Earthshock spam, but then having a double Skeram on a platform that wasn't picked up fast enough. We can keep Plains up through 1 ES chainspam, but not 2. :angry:

So the basic conclusion I'm getting is that this should not be happening if someone is in melee with Skeram, and that Plainsburner's experiences are an anomaly/bug. If at first you don't succeed, try try again! Time to go fish up some more Nightfin Snappers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users