Photo

What does your guild bank gold get used for?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:39 PM

I saw over in the UI thread that the EJ bank went from 40k gold to 20k gold because of Naxx, and so the thought occurred to me - what are other guilds using their guild gold pools toward? Do guilds pay for repairs, pots, craftables, enchants etc etc? I'm interested to see how guilds in this community put that to use.

#2 zexx

zexx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

I know the my guild bank (Unforgiven/Pro Baddies) is mostly, if not all, used on flasks and mana potions. Naxxaramas seems as though many fights require flasks (i.e. patch and max), but then again many fights do not. Flasks make progression easier, thats why the guild bank should be used for consumables (not repairs).

#3 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,801 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:46 PM

I saw over in the UI thread that the EJ bank went from 40k gold to 20k gold because of Naxx, and so the thought occurred to me - what are other guilds using their guild gold pools toward? Do guilds pay for repairs, pots, craftables, enchants etc etc? I'm interested to see how guilds in this community put that to use.

Well, to be fair, I have something like 160 flasks of different types banked now, so I've really probably only "spent" 10k -- the rest is tied up in prepurchased consumables.

We provide flasks when needed -- usually for first kills on crazy numbers fights. Our first Patchwerk kill was heavily flasked and I bet our first Loatheb kill will be too. Repair bots. Repair reimbursement on nights of pure learning/wiping where a kill is not usually expected -- people shouldn't have to pay out of pocket for the "ok let's throw ourselves at this guy and see what he does and start learning" phases. If we wipe to stuff we've already learned, then tough. Also, tank consumables (sup def and stoneshield) since a lot of the time we can't even keep fights stable to learn them if the tanks aren't using consumables, even though no one else needs to at that stage.

Plus I have a collection of one of each color epic mount. I'm really lucky to have such an understanding guild.

#4 Guest_aarkh_*

Guest_aarkh_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

Flasks for tanks, situational consumables(ie. Nature/Fire/whatever protection potions, stoneshield pots etc), raid-beneficial enchants, resistance gear, Naxx attunements and tier 3 materials, of which our bank will provide half and the players the other half.

I believe that bank gold exists to be used to easen the farming burden of members a bit, especially so when a certain class for example would need to farm a lot for situational consumables, ie. melee at Huhuran or tanks whenever they need Flasks / Stoneshields and so on. We do not, however, provide stuff for basic consumables such as Mana/Health potions, Dark runes, mongooses and such, which every member are expected to be able to provide themselves. It's worked out fairly well for us so far at least.

#5 hamlet_the_lesser

hamlet_the_lesser

King Hippo

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

flasks primarily but also the very rare occasion where we will pay for repairs or reimburse on a night of unexpected head bashing. That is about it but it is kinda sad how expensive that little bit can be. Also I will buy an ingot or 2 if needed if we have an orange hammer close to being made(it has been 4 months since we have seen an ingot so the next eye is very far from being made).
Posted Image

#6 Tel

Tel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Flasks (for tanks) + stoneshields mainly for us. Our guild bank is pretty underfunded compared to most so our members unfortunatly grind their own repair gold. We run MC with a PUG so cant really get funding for it from there either.

We all grind our own consumables other than titans for tanks and stoneshields for tanks

#7 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Plus I have a collection of one of each color epic mount. I'm really lucky to have such an understanding guild.

Gotta catch em all!

#8 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,801 posts

We also have an alt loaded up with "basic" consumables -- mongoose, giants, elemental protection pots, arcane elixirs, etc -- that I keep parked in UC for those "damn, we've totally got this, let's restock consumables and kill him" moments that come when learning a new boss, after a session of wipes that drained the consumables people brought with them for personal use.

#9 Tuco

Tuco

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:54 PM

Flasks, tank consumables, repair bots. In a pinch we supply various other pots as well. Never repairs and very rarely mats for T3.

#10 Kalince

Kalince

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:00 PM

We also have an alt loaded up with "basic" consumables -- mongoose, giants, elemental protection pots, arcane elixirs, etc -- that I keep parked in UC for those "damn, we've totally got this, let's restock consumables and kill him" moments that come when learning a new boss, after a session of wipes that drained the consumables people brought with them for personal use.

Should get this done for us, as whenever we get to this phase we have to scrounge the AH which means people have to pay the stupid slightly inflated prices.

#11 Irish Taxi Driver

Irish Taxi Driver

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:01 PM

I don't even know if my guildbank HAS gold. We're required to farm and bring our flasks every night.

EDIT: I am now wondering if my guildbank is just someone who I've been mailing stonescale eels and stranglekelp to for the past half a year.
dogg don\'t piss on me I just invented photoshop !

#12 Oneiros

Oneiros

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

As a guild leader/guild bank manager, I have a couple questions as to how you afford this. Granted, EJ has been around forever and I'm sure most of the money has accrued over time, but how do you keep the guild bank's income steady? Does EJ have some sort of turnin system to encourage guild members to donate or is it purely from income that the bank is able to buy these things?

Personally, our guild bank provides mostly only Flasks of the Titans. When we were learning Huhuran, we told everyone to bring 5 of them, then the guild would provide after that. Now that we're working on Ouro, we're doing the same thing. That is our expenditures (for the most part). Our income is from a few different ways. We sell all BOE items that drop in our raids (the blues off Rag/Nef, etc.). We actually have gotten pretty lucky. Sold a polymorph turtle book for 1200g and we got an Alcor's Sunrazor in AQ last week heh. Stuff like that. For the most part though, that is the entirety of our income. We have begun selling helms off Onyxia and we are also selling MC runs once a week (These haven't really kicked into full effect yet, word of mouth is still spreading). With this income vs. expenses, the bank breaks about even.

I would like to do something like providing repair money and stuff like that, and hopefully as we sell more MC loot we will have a bigger income to play with. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make money/save money for a guild.

(
I believe in Harvey Dent.

#13 Wong-Fei-Hung

Wong-Fei-Hung

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Flasks and repairs... Generally only ask for repairs on new content... Resist gear as well of course (though this typically means mats, not gold). 'Senior' guild members also get nexus for enchants, so that's one less expense there too.

Other than Cores and Ingots, I had to farm all the items for my hammer, with a few guildies helping out... course, the Cores and Ingots are the most expensive part too :P

STILL waiting on second binding to drop for our MT, so we'll see if they decide to use the guild bank to help craft that.

#14 hamlet_the_lesser

hamlet_the_lesser

King Hippo

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

As a guild leader/guild bank manager, I have a couple questions as to how you afford this. Granted, EJ has been around forever and I'm sure most of the money has accrued over time, but how do you keep the guild bank's income steady? Does EJ have some sort of turnin system to encourage guild members to donate or is it purely from income that the bank is able to buy these things?

Personally, our guild bank provides mostly only Flasks of the Titans. When we were learning Huhuran, we told everyone to bring 5 of them, then the guild would provide after that. Now that we're working on Ouro, we're doing the same thing. That is our expenditures (for the most part). Our income is from a few different ways. We sell all BOE items that drop in our raids (the blues off Rag/Nef, etc.). We actually have gotten pretty lucky. Sold a polymorph turtle book for 1200g and we got an Alcor's Sunrazor in AQ last week heh. Stuff like that. For the most part though, that is the entirety of our income. We have begun selling helms off Onyxia and we are also selling MC runs once a week (These haven't really kicked into full effect yet, word of mouth is still spreading). With this income vs. expenses, the bank breaks about even.

I would like to do something like providing repair money and stuff like that, and hopefully as we sell more MC loot we will have a bigger income to play with. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make money/save money for a guild.

(

Do a few runs of MC and sell everything that isnt used by the people in that raid and you will net 2k gold atleast from it. BOE epics still sell well on the AH, atleast on sargeras they do and if you can get 15-20 nexus that is 750g-1k. Not to mention all the essence of fire and earth typically sell for 5g apiece. If you are on ouro my guess is you should be able to get MC down in 3.5 hours which is pretty good money farming time.
Posted Image

#15 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,801 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:31 PM

To be honest, if we had to generate 40k right now, I don't know that we could. I spent the spring building up the guild bank in anticipation of Naxx, selling MC BoEs, cores, ingots, elementium, dreamscales, and anything else I could. These days MC stuff is worth next to nothing, and demand for the rest has similarly plummeted. AQ20 runs where you sell all skill books would be decent, though.

#16 Oneiros

Oneiros

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

To be honest, if we had to generate 40k right now, I don't know that we could. I spent the spring building up the guild bank in anticipation of Naxx, selling MC BoEs, cores, ingots, elementium, dreamscales, and anything else I could. These days MC stuff is worth next to nothing, and demand for the rest has similarly plummeted. AQ20 runs where you sell all skill books would be decent, though.

Thanks for the reply. I figured you guys had built it up slowly over time :)
I believe in Harvey Dent.

#17 hamlet_the_lesser

hamlet_the_lesser

King Hippo

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

Alot of that is dependant on the server though. MC isnt worth 10k gold or anything but it really is one of the few money making instances out there. BOE epics sell for atleast 100g but I could sell a NS belt for 800g which is still not too bad.
Posted Image

#18 Tuco

Tuco

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Originally Blizzard intended the MC BOEs and the various farmable stuffs in the world to be the gateway for the raiders to monetarily interact with the non-raiders. Raiders would sell MC BOEs, and in turn would buy things like arcanite or essences.

I'm not sure why Blizzard didn't continue with this system in BWL/AQ/Naxx. It appears they continually want raiders to incur more and more costs to force them to farm more and more. (The lack of BOE epics as well as more consumable use / exponential repair costs)

#19 Zagzil

Zagzil

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Our old bank was up at something like 70k gold at one point, thanks to the efforts of some dedicated bankers. Right now we spend gold like never before - seriously no other instance is close to the gold investment Naxx is, so we're constantly running through Flasks (which we provide) and pretty much all our members burn potions constantly (which we don't provide most of the time).

Making money, sadly, is really all about knowing who will buy stuff. We had a guy on our old server who bought full Might, then wanted to buy Wrath and AQ40 gear. He alone probably gave us thousands of gold.

#20 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,801 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

I'm not sure why Blizzard didn't continue with this system in BWL/AQ/Naxx. It appears they continually want raiders to incur more and more costs to force them to farm more and more. (The lack of BOE epics as well as more consumable use / exponential repair costs)

This is something I'd been meaning to make a thread of its own about. At the risk of coming across like a whining pussy who clearly isn't hardcore enough for real raiding, I can't help but question whether dependence on consumables and such has gone too far, to the detriment of the "fun" of the raiding game. Repair costs I can handle. But when you have fights that are tuned a bit above the level of gear of an unbuffed raid group entering the zone, consumables are pretty much required in order to even learn the fight. Try learning Gothik without using any DPS consumables at all: You won't get very far, because you won't be able to keep up with the spawns (on dead side especially) and won't be able to tell for sure if your strat is flawed, or if the strat is good but you're just lacking the DPS to execute it.

Spending 3 hours wiping and coming away without a kill can be frustrating. Spending 3 hours, using mongoose and arcane elixirs and giants and stoneshields on every attempt, and coming away without a kill, is depressing. Because it's not just the 3 hours -- it's the additional hours you'll need to restock, whether by farming gold or farming herbs, without anything to show for it.

It's part of the reason I clearly have abandoned any pretense of maintaining a stable guild bank, and am instead burning through what we have to learn Naxx with the hopes of replenishing it after Naxx is cleared and as the expansion approaches. Doing otherwise would be brutal on morale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users