• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:41 AM

I get Dazed all the time on Razorgore. I think you're just very lucky.

On your paladin? My paladin got dazed a *lot*, my warrior, never. The difference is so remarkable that it's highly unlikely to be coincidence.

I've noticed this. My main character is a protection tank with well over 450 defense. I *never* get dazed. I cant remember the last time anything at all dazed me. Now, the other day I borrowed a guildie's mage to farm some herbs and stuff (rejoice for being alch/eng) and it struck me that every mob and his goldfish would daze me all the freaking time.

#22 Schnappi

Schnappi

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:28 AM

Though I often end up running and having to jump, spin, hit sunder/heroic, then turn back and continue running.

Strafe tank him in between crystals ;)

Interesting theory. I should test it out with different amounts of def when I have some time.

#23 Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle

Take what ye can;

• Members
  • 1653 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:16 AM

You should never turn your back to Ossirian: you can't parry or block facing away from him.

Yes, daze is a function of your defense relative to the attack skill of the attacker. I don't know the exact numbers but it's not too far off from crit if it isn't the same.
/ 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \

#24 Andrise

Andrise

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:23 AM

Two things:

1. Yes, defense skill affects daze. At 440 I believe it is, you become immune to daze.

2. Am I the only one that tanks Ossirian walking backwards? Obviously I turn around and run forwards on some of the longer runs between crystals that are spaced poorly, but on short and medium spacing I just walk him backwards, spamming shieldblock/revenge/sunder/hs.

#25 Schnappi

Schnappi

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:21 AM

2. Am I the only one that tanks Ossirian walking backwards? Obviously I turn around and run forwards on some of the longer runs between crystals that are spaced poorly, but on short and medium spacing I just walk him backwards, spamming shieldblock/revenge/sunder/hs.

Strafe tank him. You run as fast as running forward and you can still use all your skills. (and it avoids daze :p )

#26 Chicken

Chicken

 

•  Benefactors
  • 3639 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Our MT allways turns around to get ready to run when he gets the "5 seconds to loctus swarm" warning on anub, and stands with his back facing Anub. He never gets dazed, ever. He has over 440 defence.

Some people mentioned that it might be crits from behind that dazes, and that having 440 defence makes it impossible to get dazed. But i noticed later on my priest that i got dazed without getting crit, so thats not right. But i am pretty sure defence has somthing to do with it.

I have the same experience, the only time he might ever get dazed seems to be when it's a "forced" daze from Aspect of the Pack.

#27 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10270 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

That makes perfect sense and explains why when you ride your mount through a bunch of low level mobs, you never get dismounted... but when you do it through a bunch of mobs your own level, the chance of getting dismounted goes way up. (for caster classes, not someone with 440 def obviously)

#28 Tuco

Tuco

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:30 PM

Here's an oddity... on the worst Gluth attempt in the history of the universe, he decimated us as we were jumping out of the slime tunnel; the fall damage killed everyone but the MT.

#29 Crowbite

Crowbite

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 2603 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Here's an oddity... on the worst Gluth attempt in the history of the universe, he decimated us as we were jumping out of the slime tunnel; the fall damage killed everyone but the MT.

The defensive stance modifier works on fall damage according to our guild leader. Can a fall do more then 100% hp? If it can't, that means at full health a warrior in defensive can't die from fall damge.

I get enjoyment out of constructing buildings out of my fries and demolishing them with my chicken nugget army as I make monster noises. But you people. You people are FREAKS.

#30 Zoltan

Zoltan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:00 PM

The defensive stance modifier works on fall damage according to our guild leader. Can a fall do more then 100% hp? If it can't, that means at full health a warrior in defensive can't die from fall damge.

It does work on fall damage indeed, but you certainly can die even in defensive stance. I cant count how many times have I died when rushing to MC (stupid lag...) even if I was in defensive.

#31 RoboStac

RoboStac

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

It does work on fall damage indeed, but you certainly can die even in defensive stance. I cant count how many times have I died when rushing to MC (stupid lag...) even if I was in defensive.

Are you sure - I've jumped off pretty much all the large jumps in defensive on my warrior (thunderbluff, great lift, tanaris->un'goro, from the entrance to BRM down to the piece of land just out of the lava by MC), and never taken more than 90% of my health as damage?. I was certainly under the impression its impossible for a warrior on full health to die in defensive stance.

#32 Papajan

Papajan

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

By coincidence, yesterday I had a warrior tell me that defensive stance damage reduction is applied to fall damage so at full health a fall will never kill him. If fall damage is physical, I imagine shadow form would do the same, but I haven't had the time to test it.

Going along with encounter oddities, we had the far side of skellies all rush our MT on Nef yesterday. And then they stayed on him for a good 5s or so. He didn't die and we killed Nef like usual, but I'm at a loss as to how he held aggro without trying with all the healing going on. The only guess I have is Battle Shout, but I don't know if he's the one doing that for his group.

Also in the same night, the Ony cloak didn't remove Nef landing Shadowflame until after it had ticked once, so I got hit for the upfront damage and a tick of the DoT. It was no biggie aside from that moment of terror when I see [Shadow Flame] in the middle of my screen and then some magic damage. Just lag I suppose though.

#33 Tuco

Tuco

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

Also in the same night, the Ony cloak didn't remove Nef landing Shadowflame until after it had ticked once, so I got hit for the upfront damage and a tick of the DoT. It was no biggie aside from that moment of terror when I see [Shadow Flame] in the middle of my screen and then some magic damage. Just lag I suppose though.

We had a similar instance where our Onyxia cloak wearing MT was so lagged out he got shadowflamed for 22k.

#34 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2351 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

Are you sure - I've jumped off pretty much all the large jumps in defensive on my warrior (thunderbluff, great lift, tanaris->un'goro, from the entrance to BRM down to the piece of land just out of the lava by MC), and never taken more than 90% of my health as damage?. I was certainly under the impression its impossible for a warrior on full health to die in defensive stance.

The important part is that you need to only take falling damage once. If you hit a bump on the way down (and there are several if you jump down to MC at the wrong place), you can have two seperate falls, each for over 50% of your health.

#35 Brilliance

Brilliance

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

Grats at having Gluth bug out :P

#36 Celandro

Celandro

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:12 PM

I always jump spin ossirian. By looking at your map screen, it is fairly easy to run one direction, jump spin (with mouselook) hit your shield block/other abilities, then spin back before you land. This seems to move considerably faster than the other tanks who are either straffing or walking backwards. Its actually too fast sometimes as you outrun the healers.

#37 Pantone

Pantone

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

I throw on part of my pvp gear and have speed enchant on my boots for 124% runspeed. Close to 100% speed going backwards.. not that it really matters if I get hit in the rear. :P

#38 probiscus

probiscus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1011 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

I throw on part of my pvp gear and have speed enchant on my boots for 124% runspeed. Close to 100% speed going backwards.. not that it really matters if I get hit in the rear. :P

^_^ You mean the highlander boots? You've confirmed the speed enchant stacks w/ the inherint bonus? Did they change something I didn't hear about?

#39 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

Going along with encounter oddities, we had the far side of skellies all rush our MT on Nef yesterday. And then they stayed on him for a good 5s or so. He didn't die and we killed Nef like usual, but I'm at a loss as to how he held aggro without trying with all the healing going on. The only guess I have is Battle Shout, but I don't know if he's the one doing that for his group.

That actually happened to me last night (first Nef kill yey) and I'm not exactly sure how that happened either. It wasn't just 1 or 2 either- There was about a dozen or so on me and my group had a Warlock, Paladin, Druid, Priest so I'm almost positive it wasn't from Battle Shout.

Edit- And I believe this was even a few seconds after they had spawned and were rushing towards the caster camp.

#40 Kalman

Kalman

Super Macho Man

• Members
  • 8791 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:48 PM

^_^ You mean the highlander boots? You've confirmed the speed enchant stacks w/ the inherint bonus? Did they change something I didn't hear about?

God, if it does, I'm going to be playing a lot of AB when 1.12 hits...
Melador> Incidentally, these last few pages are why people hate lawyers.
Viator> I really don't want to go all Kalman here.
Bury> Just imagine what the world would be like if you used your powers for good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users