• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Fury

Fury

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:10 AM

The problem with all this trinket math is that it really is not representative of many real raiding situations.

1) there is downtime between pulls etc that lets some of the longer CD trinkets contribute more

2) there is many fights that require a concentrated burst of focused DPS which also skews things in favor of more explosive trinkets like MQG and ToEP

I personally have tried them all and find the ToEP to be the ideal trinket. The 90 sec CD is just right to provide the sustained damage when needed for fights like Patchwerk, but the 175 +dmg provides the perfect punch for when you need that burst damage on things like Huhuran or gargoyles or seeding an ignite roll etc.

#22 Aphyrax

Aphyrax

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:11 AM

How about Mind Quickening Gem. I use that all the time but feel it wasted due to its just me wasting mana faster and only 1 or 2 uses during a fight. Im trying to find the most damage effecient item over a long period of time.

The the MQG equivalent column. It tells you at what level of damage MQG becomes superior to the other trinkets.

#23 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:36 AM

Stuff

I've given it some thought, and I disagree with your counter-argument.
Given completely random situations, taking the times you need to move into account, 1/6 of those times will be eating into ToeP activation time. The remaining 5/6th of the time you need to move, you are waiting for your ToeP to cool down. These situations allow your ToeP to get "free" recharge time, and should balance the situations where you are forced to move during activation.

In other words: For every situation you can remember where you were forced to move early and waste activation time, there were likely five (all average caveats apply) situations where you had to move and gained free cooldown time on your ToeP.
(Obviously it's a little silly to think the game is out to get you, and forces you to move only when you have the ToeP active)

With this in mind, I think my argument that you get more activations than averages will show, stands. I.e. You get 1 full activation for a 45 second encounter (not the 1/2 that averages imply) and you get 2 activations during a 100 second encounter (not 1.11).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I certainly find ToEP to be the superior choice in the vast majority of situations (hence having it equipped on those fights). I'm just saying that for those two items (or Eye of the Beast at a certain gear level) you have to weigh the strengths and weaknesses of each item with consideration to the fight. Early Battleguard attempts come to mind (before your group is able to control the fight with ease) as a situation in which one might give the blue some serious thought.

#24 junin

junin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:32 AM

The problem with all this trinket math is that it really is not representative of many real raiding situations.

1) there is downtime between pulls etc that lets some of the longer CD trinkets contribute more

2) there is many fights that require a concentrated burst of focused DPS which also skews things in favor of more explosive trinkets like MQG and ToEP

I personally have tried them all and find the ToEP to be the ideal trinket. The 90 sec CD is just right to provide the sustained damage when needed for fights like Patchwerk, but the 175 +dmg provides the perfect punch for when you need that burst damage on things like Huhuran or gargoyles or seeding an ignite roll etc.

ToEP is probably one of the worst trinkets to use at patchwerk :) as reed+tear+mqg+rotd are all superior in that fight

The only nobrainer trinket there is for all fights is tear the rest all have their fights where they outshine the rest.

ToEP, best allround trinket with alittle punch. especially nice for trash where it cooldowns between pulls
MQG, best burst damage trinket. Also when your fully buffed (around 900dam) it will outshine even rotd, especially if the fight is around 6-7mins
reed, stable avg damage.

botom line is you will always have to swap around your trinkets.
\"Dead men don\'t do dps\"
http://ctprofiles.net/2214368

#25 Nemesis

Nemesis

Global Warming lets me bike more.

• Members
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

and bottomline 2 is that when doing theorycraft its best to do your calculations on a 'perfect conditions' basis
otherwise it becomes horribly confusing and turns into a 'but in this situation...' back-and-forth thing which is kinda stupid, every trinket is good in a certain situation, its up to people to use their brain and pick the right one for the job

If you can undo the bra with your teeth, it leaves your hands free for the keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users