• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11576 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:31 PM

Someone from my guild mentioned this on the "encounter oddities" thread, but I'd like to bring it up in a less buried position--it would be nice if we could stop losing time to stuff like this.

One bit off real weirdness that I've never seen anyone else mention has happened to us twice now. We're waiting for an ordinary port, with the Warlock standing between Vek'nilash's feet. At the exact moment the flash or light appears, the Warlock gets one-shotted by an Unbalancing Strike. Vek'lor arrives (I believe with no prox aggro, but am not certain), and starts killing people. Has anyone seen anything like this?

The second: Tank is waiting near Vek'lor to pick up the first transition. Port occurs, but Vek'nilash aggros onto the person who had been tanking him before (hence ignoring the waiting tank and running across the room). Seems like a failure of the aggro-wiping, which I've heard has happened to people before. Anyone know what causes this?

#2 Monsanto

Monsanto

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:45 PM

On numerous occassions, we'll have Vek'lor happily shadowbolting our warrior (we don't use warlocks). Our warrior stands perfectly still, as there is no reason to move (except for blizzards and bugs). And yet, Vek'lor, decides he's no longer happy shadowbolting our warrior, puts away his staff and runs up to our tank and starts meleeing him. And while in melee range, he does his 4k arcane explosion that knocks our tank back across the room.

Hasn't happened to us in a while, thank Koresh, but it used to happen to us fairly often.

#3 Fukasa

Fukasa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

In my opinoin twin emps went from a great execution based encounter that was one of the most fun fights in the game, to a fight where the randomness of things mentioned above make it more frustrating than anything else.

Why is it that this fight still causes wipes due to random things happening, there are two ways to look at it, 1, they are not random and we are just doing something wrong, or 2, they are truely random and its just a part of the encounter, or a bug.

If I knew for sure that Vek'lor's running up and melee thing was a part of the encounter that we needed to adapt for, it would probably be easier to cope with, but my opinion is that its some sort of bug, and that makes me upset :<.

#4 Oggie

Oggie

Disharmonious

•  Patrons
  • 4449 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

We were -wondering- what caused that 6% wipe- we couldn't figure out how without a bug the warlock tank took 7k too fast for us to see his health move.

It makes me want to hit Marge Thatcher on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

#5 Grimmarg

Grimmarg

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:47 PM

On numerous occassions, we'll have Vek'lor happily shadowbolting our warrior (we don't use warlocks). Our warrior stands perfectly still, as there is no reason to move (except for blizzards and bugs). And yet, Vek'lor, decides he's no longer happy shadowbolting our warrior, puts away his staff and runs up to our tank and starts meleeing him. And while in melee range, he does his 4k arcane explosion that knocks our tank back across the room.

Hasn't happened to us in a while, thank Koresh, but it used to happen to us fairly often.

Eh - if you have warriors tanking the caster emperor, have them melee him with their backs to the wall. Full HP gear, no shadowresistance crap, and that is easier to handle, than having switches between shadowbolts and the caster running to melee. His melee is really weak, and arcane explosion doesn't come that often.

#6 Elki

Elki

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:39 AM

We had Vek'nilash port and start running to the last tank across the room for a second or two then turn back to the main tank. There must have not been prox aggro, because a rogue pulled aggro and ate an unbalancing strike.

Later in the fight I, another rogue, pulled aggro a mere 8 seconds or so after the port and at an unbalancing strike. That time he definitely stuck immediatley to the new tank, so I'm assuming she had proximity aggro as the other DPS went all out for the entire transition.

That same attempt we took him down to 7% when server lag kicked in, we can practically count on these complete server stalls nowadays. We wiped and postponed the kill for a day and had a couple more melee taken out, which hasn't happened until this week. I believe we had an uppercut / unbalancing strike occur this time, thankfully server lag didn't. Some of these can be written off on melee suddenly doing a better job peeling aggro from the tank, but the one 8 seconds in was especially odd. Perhaps it can be blamed on those damn stars aligning.

We've seen some of the other odd things that are typically listed for the Emps.

One off-topic oddity we saw recently. We were fighting Razorgore on our way to a very clean kill. We reached phase 2 and oddly enough the Dragonkin don't leave the room while bunch more spawn and start wiping the floor with our dumbfounded raid. They took down a majority of our when they suddenly changed focus to Razorgore himself, killing him then immediately despawning, leaving us with looting privileges. Definitely one of the most exciting encounters I've had with old content.

#7 Judia

Judia

Banned

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:19 AM

Last night at 1% Vek'lor rank up to our warlock tank, and punted; no problem.
He then ran to our warlock, and punted, and then ran to the warlock and punted a third time.

He managed to charage himself almost the entire way to Vek'nilash, kill almost all our mages and heal to 30% causing a wipe. And we still have NO idea why he decided to run and Punt three times in quick sucession wihout casting a single shadowbolt.
To err is human

#8 Judia

Judia

Banned

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:22 AM

Later in the fight I, another rogue, pulled aggro a mere 8 seconds or so after the port and at an unbalancing strike. That time he definitely stuck immediatley to the new tank, so I'm assuming she had proximity aggro as the other DPS went all out for the entire transition.

The proximity aggro is worth about 2000 damage.
If he managed to block/dodge/parry/miss all the sunders from the tank you as a rogue could easily pop 2200 damage in 8 seconds and pull aggro.
To err is human

#9 Regen

Regen

King Hippo

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:29 AM

How about targeting a warlock's Imp in the middle of the room after a teleport? ><

#10 Petehmb

Petehmb

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

Well, we're not to twin emps yet...but in AQ20 we had something similar to Elki's Razorgore incident...we got through 7 waves on Rajaxx, and right as he did his emote / yell to let us know he was incoming, all 7 waves respawned and rushed us with him. We didn't last long lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users