• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#21 Wong-Fei-Hung

Wong-Fei-Hung

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

On the whole, your MT doesn't really worry too much about dying from inability to eat incoming damage. He has a personal army of healers whose primary job is to keep him alive and kicking. As long as spike damage does not get to high the MT is safe.

Have you even been in Naxxramas? Its pretty much spike damage heaven.

Most protection talents do very little help you deal with drastic damage spikes.

Imp shield block is awesome spike damage protection.

QFE!

Take a look at Hateful Strike, and mitigation... Toughness > All. There's a thread here about the math behind it.

And Imp Shield block is uber with the current mechanics since it prevents crits AND crushing blows.

#22 Guest_Aloaya_*

Guest_Aloaya_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

I seriously don't even understand the point behind the question.

Is it "Worth It" to spec MS if you want Grand Marshall? Of course. If PvE is your focus, sure, you COULD go something other than deep-prot, but why? Really. I'm trying to understand WHY someone whose WoW-time is spending mostly Main Tanking raid content would WANT to spec anything else. Some kind of deep obsession with damage meters? Not wanting the warrior forum to make fun of you? You CAN tank in any spec, but isn't making EVERYONE'S life easier worth having to PvP on an alt?

#23 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

Yep- I found myself having less and less time to PvP so I spec'ed from 31A/20F (which I used to MT for our first Nef kill) into a 34 Protection spec and I'm having an absolute blast. Like people pointed out, Improved Shield Block, Toughness, and Last Stand provide tangible benefits while the increased threat generation means that your DPS can push even harder. If I can prevent even one wipe with Improved Shield Block, Last Stand, or Improved Shield Wall, then I consider them a sound investment of talent points.

And, Improved Revenge is just awesome (when stuff isn't immune to stuns). :)

#24 Zagzil

Zagzil

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

Heh, I'd love to see a Horde MT tank Noth with 31/20.

Protection spec is well worth it if you're MT'ing for your guild. Improved Shieldwall, 1h spec, and Shield Slam are all great talents.

Our MT has been tanking Noth in 8/8 Might for weeks, it's pretty funny yet awesome for aggro (more rage too!).

#25 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:42 PM

Our MT has been tanking Noth in 8/8 Might for weeks, it's pretty funny yet awesome for aggro (more rage too!).

Id be willing to say his threat generation doesnt come near a shield slam tank with a few pieces of dreadnaught.

#26 Zagzil

Zagzil

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:52 PM

Id be willing to say his threat generation doesnt come near a shield slam tank with a few pieces of dreadnaught.

And you'd be totally wrong, because Noth hits a 7/9 Dreadnought tank for just about nothing!

#27 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

And you'd be totally wrong, because Noth hits a 7/9 Dreadnought tank for just about nothing!

I have 10.3k armor (with motw) amd 30% shield block, noth hits me for 2k and crushes extremely frequently.

#28 Larond

Larond

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

Most of the people I have seen here are debating being either Full fury/arms with nothing in protection, to going all out protection spec... What do you have to say about fury or arms and partial protection?

Example Specs:
Arms/Prot: http://www.worldofwa...050000530200000
Fury/Prot: http://www.worldofwa...050000500000000
Full Prot: http://www.worldofwa...250110530201041

What are your opinions about all of these specs? Does anyone have numbers they can provide that prove one way or another which is better?

#29 Zagzil

Zagzil

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

I have 10.3k armor (with motw) amd 30% shield block, noth hits me for 2k and crushes extremely frequently.

We've found the MT to be very rage limited on Noth, to the point where 8/8 Might makes a significant difference.

#30 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:04 PM

We've found the MT to be very rage limited on Noth, to the point where 8/8 Might makes a significant difference.

Tell him to plan ahead, the only place he could be missing rage is on blink, otherwise he has terrible threat generation.

#31 Brissa

Brissa

Not enough rage

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

Most of the people I have seen here are debating being either Full fury/arms with nothing in protection, to going all out protection spec... What do you have to say about fury or arms and partial protection?

Example Specs:
Arms/Prot: http://www.worldofwa...050000530200000
Fury/Prot: http://www.worldofwa...050000500000000
Full Prot: http://www.worldofwa...250110530201041

What are your opinions about all of these specs? Does anyone have numbers they can provide that prove one way or another which is better?

Going that deep into prot and not taking imp shieldblock or last stand just seems really odd.

#32 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:10 PM

Here's what I've found to be the perfect tanking spec:
http://www.wow-europ...250110530221051

#33 Fluster

Fluster

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have nearly that exact spec also. I have Imp Demo instead of Imp HS and Imp SW. I don't find I use SW enough to justify 2 points and the reduction from Imp Demo is pretty significant on the current encounters.

#34 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:19 PM

I have nearly that exact spec also. I have Imp Demo instead of Imp HS and Imp SW. I don't find I use SW enough to justify 2 points and the reduction from Imp Demo is pretty significant on the current encounters.

We have a couple of tanks with imp demo shout, which is why I dont want it. the 6 more seconds can be pretty determinental on fights like patchwerk's low % enrage.

#35 Fluster

Fluster

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

I've not done Patchwerk as yet, but I could see how it would be handy but still two points /shrug. There aren't many fights where I routinely use SW tbh, perhaps Vael, but that's more for convienience than necessity.

Perhaps time to convince my OT's to take Imp Demo instead :) Apologies for the slight derail.

On topic, yes it's worth it. It's usefulness past Defiance and Last Stand and 1/3 Imp SB is questionable, but there is merit there for min/maxing or making the raid more comfortable. Talents like Imp taunt/Conc and Imp sunder and the new S Slam are nice, but hardly required to beat the content. :)

#36 Stige

Stige

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:33 PM

Fury is no longer all that superior to prot in terms of threat generation, the new shield slam leveled the playing field there.

I couldn't agree more. Pre 1.11 I was Fury spec with a TF but with the new Shield Slam there is no comparison as far as Threat generation is concerned. No one in the raid except rolling ignite mages can pull agro off our main tanks (both have TF and 31+ Prot).

Protection spec is needed if you want to burn threw content faster and that's all I care about, efficiency.

#37 Stige

Stige

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Put 2 in Tactical Mastery and take 2 out of Improved Sunder (I only use it to increase raid DPS) and you have a spec I like :)

I can't imagine stance dancing with 0 rage.

#38 Ashuko

Ashuko

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:40 PM

To slightly change the OP's question:

"Is protection spec worth it if you're working on clearing BWL?" Yes/no.

"Is protection spec worth it if you're working on clearing AQ40?" Yes/no.

In otherwords, think about where a guild is in terms of progression...

#39 Rodent

Rodent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

Put 2 in Tactical Mastery and take 2 out of Improved Sunder (I only use it to increase raid DPS) and you have a spec I like :)

I can't imagine stance dancing with 0 rage.

I never ever miss tactical mastery in PvE, in my eyes its a PvP talent.

#40 Oggie

Oggie

Disharmonious

•  Patrons
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

We're at the wierd position currently of having -3- protection specced tanks. It wasnt' really intentional, it just sort of ended up happening- we as a guild like to have 2, and one of those two has had to take a bit of a break for RL reasons. Hes' sort of back now but his attendence is less than stellar.

IT could merely be psychosomatic (sp?), but when K respecced Prot from fury he became so amazingly much easier to heal. His aggro generation (being formerly Fury with a fairly good tank set) did not frankly noticibly change that much, though the person sitting next to him is a protection for a year + TF tank with better gear, so it's kinda hard to judge threat on that scale. The ability to Last Stand, Toughness...whatever. Easier to heal, less likely to get slaughtered if all the healers are warstomped/outranged/whatever.

I also (from a nonwarrior, take it with a grain of salt) think that Shield Slam is just extremely underrated by most. I know our MT yells out on vent that he got a 1000 SS crit on Nefarion- suppose he's got to keep himself entertained on that fight -somehow-, but that's a pretty nice bit of burst aggro for not much rage. I dont' know the added threat, but I'd venture to guess that SS is certainly up there in terms of efficency- and on fights where every little scrap helps (eg, the learning encounters) I think it matters.

Oh....and a Protection spec warrior in good gear with a TF in PVP is one of the funniest things you've ever seen. Your total damage goes down but still you can farm (better than all those other people who specced to raid, in fact....). The reality of protection spec is that it's not so bad, not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

As far as I know, nobody has ever 'needed' a protection spec for anything. I've heard Fury does amazing things as a MT position, or hybrids with Defiance, or any number of things. The question comes down to your guild, and what would be optimal for you and them. For us, at our stage in the game, having 2 Prot specced tanks we think has significantly eased a number of fights, enuogh that our OT decided to respec once it was clear that our former OT's RL stuff would keep him busy for the forseeable future. Higher threat, better survivablity, we find it a good use of a raid slot.

By the way, -am- I wrong? Is there a situation where Prot is just nigh required?

It makes me want to hit Marge Thatcher on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users