Photo

The Beer Forum - It's really a thread but we're too drunk to notice.

• Please log in to reply
2702 replies to this topic

#1 Minotas

Minotas

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

This one Aussie in my guild speaks better English than I could ever hope to. His name is Hoegaarden, and his namesake is an exceptionally good white beer.

Edit: At the risk of permanent residence in the Shit Heap I must say the following;

Zomg first!!

#2 Nemesis

Nemesis

Global Warming lets me bike more.

• Members
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

This one Aussie in my guild speaks better English than I could ever hope to. His name is Hoegaarden, and his namesake is an exceptionally good white beer.

I'd like to add, in proper English, that Hoegaarden is indeed a great beer, along with alot of the other beers we brew over here in Belgium.

btw, one of my British friends pointed out that i used 'wether' wrongly, so I looked it up, I now use it for my polymorph macro

If you can undo the bra with your teeth, it leaves your hands free for the keyboard.

#3 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:42 PM

I want to go to England so bad. Maniq is there of course. And before I die, I want to be able to say that I've had a genuine pint of Guinness in a genuine English pub while watching the local football team play on TV.

I suppose I can slide on over to Belgium and have some beer there too.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#4 probiscus

probiscus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

And before I die, I want to be able to say that I've had a genuine pint of Guinness in a genuine English pub while watching the local football team play on TV.

Guinness is Irish. 8(

I probably just missed some other inside joke
/slaps own wrists

#5 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:00 AM

But it's served in English pubs, is it not? I ask because I've never been to England! But let's say I was in England. What would the smart Kaubel be drinking?

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#6 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:03 AM

But it's served in English pubs, is it not? I ask because I've never been to England! But let's say I was in England. What would the smart Kaubel be drinking?

Our resident Brits could give you a better answer of course, but I've always preferred Boddington's (which is, in actuality, English) to Guinness.

#7 Raylen

Raylen

stop kissing Gurgs ass 24/7

• Guild Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

SUBSCRIBING TO THIS THREAD

#8 DeeNogger

DeeNogger

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:07 AM

guinness is too dark. call me a pussy, but if i cant see through the glass easily, i usually dont like it.

#9 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

guinness is too dark. call me a pussy, but if i cant see through the glass easily, i usually dont like it.

Alright -- you're a pussy.

#10 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

I'll look for that then.

I've never really been a drinker, but for some reason I've suddenly developed a taste for beer as long as it's partnered with food. And the standard American pilsners like Coors, Bud, etc are just crap to me.

#11 Maniq

Maniq

Doesn't really think you're awesome - Sorry.

• ♦ Administrators
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

Guinness is indeed served in most places, however places that serve good Guinness are quite rare, especially in London, however I do know most of them now :) - Oh to go to Dublin again.

I'll admit to having a love/hate relationship with Guinness, which seems to rotate around St Patricks day.

Hoegaarden on the other hand is truly one of my favourite drinks, in hot weather or cold, all the beer from Belgium I have sampled have all been wonderful, especially Fruli and variations on that theme.

You wern't kidding on the derail were you!

#12 Whiteknight

Whiteknight

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:15 AM

I want to go to England so bad. Maniq is there of course. And before I die, I want to be able to say that I've had a genuine pint of Guinness in a genuine English pub while watching the local football team play on TV.

England is definitely worth the visit - and for a lot more reasons than just the beer :)
If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. Assuming you live somewhere in the US, you can get pretty cheap flights provided you don't fly coinciding with the summer holidays or christmas season.
Once you're over there, it's really cheap to travel around and visit the continent too. If beer is something that interests you, I have it on good authority that germany is the place to be during october-fest (or just in general).

#13 Jedah

Jedah

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:19 AM

England is definitely worth the visit - and for a lot more reasons than just the beer :)
If you haven't been, I highly recommend it. Assuming you live somewhere in the US, you can get pretty cheap flights provided you don't fly coinciding with the summer holidays or christmas season.
Once you're over there, it's really cheap to travel around and visit the continent too. If beer is something that interests you, I have it on good authority that germany is the place to be during october-fest (or just in general).

One of our MT's spent 5 years in Germany and spent 50% of his time on vent complaining that American beer was simply not up to par; did have a fodness for Sam Adams though which, silly commercials aside, I find really delicious (the lager especially). Heiferweizen, I think, was the beer he really enjoyed and I've found it available at a handful of upperscale restaurants.

#14 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:22 AM

Sam Adams is a good lager. If you like Sam, and you can find Brooklyn Lager near you, I'd highly recommend that -- they're very similar beers, and both excellent. When I was in law school in NY, free tasting tours of the Brooklyn Brewery were a popular activity when someone had friends visiting from elsewhere.

#15 Fluster

Fluster

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:25 AM

Real Englishmen drink Carlsberg.dkdkdk...

Not kidding :) Our complete lack of patriotic alcholism will be our downfall :o

#16 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:32 AM

I've been to almost every liquor store in town in search of Sam Adams Raspberry Wheat, but I can't find it. My sister and her husband, the latter being a career soldier in the US army who used to make his own microbrews, both recommended it.

Also, it should be obvious that I'm bored at work.

#17 Jedah

Jedah

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:40 AM

I've been to almost every liquor store in town in search of Sam Adams Raspberry Wheat, but I can't find it. My sister and her husband, the latter being a career soldier in the US army who used to make his own microbrews, both recommended it.

Also, it should be obvious that I'm bored at work.

Could it have possibly been the Cherry Wheat? Incidentally, when you're talking about drinking with food, the Cherry Wheat I had went really well with a dessert. It doesn't have a really pronounced sweetness but it has a good aftertaste.

#18 probiscus

probiscus

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:40 AM

Boddingtons or Beamish.

/mmmmm

I guess I'm jaded though, grandparents are FoB Irish, grew up around South Boston (think Boondock Saints) etc etc. Guinness is just one of those things you learn to love when you hit about 11 years old.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the people who say Guinness is "too filling". B/c it's not carbonated, I can probably drink 2x as many Guinness as I can Budweiser or even Sierra Nevada >_<

If you're looking for 'flavorful' beers - I'd whole-heartedly recommend Harpoon Winter Warmer (when in season). They used to sponsor my old triathlon team, and we'd always be sure to have an 'event' in their Boston brewery around when that stuff was coming into season. So good.

#19 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:42 AM

Could it have possibly been the Cherry Wheat? Incidentally, when you're talking about drinking with food, the Cherry Wheat I had went really well with a dessert. It doesn't have a really pronounced sweetness but it has a good aftertaste.

It's possible. I haven't seen that either though. But since I have a thing for raspberries, I'm almost positive that was it.

#20 Harther

Harther

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:44 AM

In 2001, the five largest groups of the 23.1% of Australians who were born overseas were from the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Italy, Vietnam and China.

:unsure:

I'd hope those from the UK and across the Tasman can speak English XD

I'm no beer connoisseur, but I do enjoy a Tooheys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users