Photo

The Beer Forum - It's really a thread but we're too drunk to notice.

• Please log in to reply
2702 replies to this topic

#41 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27827 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:58 AM

Speaking of Guinness though, I learned the hard way not to order a carbomb in an irish pub.

I know someone who ordered a car bomb in an irish pub ... in Ireland. :o

#42 SquattingCow

SquattingCow

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:03 AM

Speaking of Guinness though, I learned the hard way not to order a carbomb in an irish pub.

I know someone who ordered a car bomb in an irish pub ... in Ireland. :o

Know or knew? D: Gotta have balls of steel to do that.

Fingering a girl while she argues with her husband-to-be is perhaps my new low point morally in my horribly debauched life

#43 Bad Luck

Bad Luck

ffffff

• Members
  • 3009 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:17 AM

Ugh beer. You guys need some nice sweet Riesling like Kurt Hain or an Unoaked Chardonnay like Wishing Tree (mmmmm).

Or a lovely White Sangria. Delicious.

#44 Chupa

Chupa

Bald Bull

• Guild Members
  • 2057 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:23 AM

Adding to the Hoegaarden love. I hated beer until I tried it!

Edit: Bad, get out of here and take your 'culture' with you!

Completely unrelated edit: Dragonforce was \m/ AWESOME \m/

#45 Monger

Monger

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:45 AM

You guys should try some Belgian trappist ales:
http://www.geocities...m/Trappist.html

Chimay is one of my favorites, I have fond memories of consuming several bottles and being utterly lost in my own drunkeness.
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

#46 Whiteknight

Whiteknight

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:52 AM

Ugh beer. You guys need some nice sweet Riesling like Kurt Hain or an Unoaked Chardonnay like Wishing Tree (mmmmm).

Or a lovely White Sangria. Delicious.

I have to agree here, I have yet to find a beer that doesn't taste like drinking compost. If you like sweet white wines, I have to recommend a Moscato D'Asti. Get a lighter one (some of the heavier ones are quite syrupy)
My absolute favorite is the Nivole (Michele Chiarlo) http://www.kobrandwi...ook/mic006.html

(google it, you can probably find a few stores, although it's quite popular so you may find it at the local (upmarket) grocery store).

#47 Deathwing

Deathwing

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1126 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:10 AM

If you're in the north east, give Rare Vos by Ommegang a try. A Belgian Ale with heavy fruit and yeast tastes. Oh, and it's 8.5%!

#48 studski

studski

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:45 AM

If you enjoy sweeter beers I would definitely sugget Pete's Wicked Ale Strawberry Blonde. I believe it's only a summer time brew but the taste is damned unique despite having one of the most emasculating names for a beer in the history of man. As to the foreign beer markets, I'd say Pilsner Urquell is my all-time favorite dinner beer with Stella Artois as a close second. There was a Hungarian (maybe Czech) beer I tried in a bar a year or two ago that was hovering around 10ish % alcohol and actually maintained a pretty decent taste, I think it had Honey in the name, or some slavic spelling of the word Honey. Either way it was damn good and damn potent.

#49 Tahotar

Tahotar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:48 AM

I've always been partial to Smithwick's, though I take care not to mention this around German friends for fear of riducule or disownment. Affections of youth, I suppose.

Another vote for Boddingtons, however.

Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout anyone?

#50 oldmandennis

oldmandennis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:04 AM

No west coasters? Sierra Nevada is great!

And for the Cherry Brew people...

<Dennis Leary> Let me tell you something folks, cranberries and beer do not go togeather. One's for bladder infections, one's for getting fucking drunk. I'm 40. I don't need to be standing in my kitchen tasting cranberry fucking nutcrunch ale while the hocky playoffs are on.</Dennis Leary>

#51 SquattingCow

SquattingCow

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 07:09 AM

If you enjoy sweeter beers I would definitely sugget Pete's Wicked Ale Strawberry Blonde. I believe it's only a summer time brew but the taste is damned unique despite having one of the most emasculating names for a beer in the history of man. As to the foreign beer markets, I'd say Pilsner Urquell is my all-time favorite dinner beer with Stella Artois as a close second. There was a Hungarian (maybe Czech) beer I tried in a bar a year or two ago that was hovering around 10ish % alcohol and actually maintained a pretty decent taste, I think it had Honey in the name, or some slavic spelling of the word Honey. Either way it was damn good and damn potent.

Actually, the other beer I'm really keen on at the moment is a local australian one called Beez Neez - brewed with honey wheat, it's extremely tasty and highly drinkable. Of course, this makes me a metrosexual fairy, but there are more important things at stake here than self pride.

Fingering a girl while she argues with her husband-to-be is perhaps my new low point morally in my horribly debauched life

#52 kharen

kharen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

If you're ever in the UK and want to pick up some bottled beer, i can wholeheartedly recommend Brakspear Triple, probably my favourite ever bottled beer (it's a triple-fermented, bottle-conditioned old ale, which probably couldn't be legally called beer in most US states, since it's 7.2% ABV).

Also, as Moogul pointed out, Black Sheep do some amazing beers (only the standard Black Sheep Ale is commonly available around the entire country, but if you're ever nearer the brewery in Yorkshire, try to get your hands on some Riggwelter)

#53 Maniq

Maniq

Doesn't really think you're awesome - Sorry.

• ♦ Administrators
  • 2783 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

You guys should try some Belgian trappist ales:
http://www.geocities...m/Trappist.html

Chimay is one of my favorites, I have fond memories of consuming several bottles and being utterly lost in my own drunkeness.

Chimay is a cherry beer as I remember, it is singularly responsible for one of the most awesome nights of my life.

My friend and I had both had quite a long week at work, so decided to go out for a drink or two on a friday night, way out in the deepest darkest corners of the UK. We decided on the pub to go to based on a) cuteness of barmaids that we could see and b) on the fact that there were tables free.

So we sit down and ask what the barmaid reccomends, she suggested Chimay, so 3 or 4 glasses later, we are having quite a good start to the night, one thing is bothering the both of us, why the hell is this great pub, with good food and cute barmaids so empty, when usually either0 of these would mean it was packed on a friday night.

At this point, in walks the entertainment, two middle ages guys with guitars, who start to try and play various songs. Now when I say try and play, I mean try because if I'm honest, I dont think they hit one chord in about 5 songs. By the time they took their break, we were commenting on how bad they were to the barmaids, when they came over - apparently our visible whincing had been quite apparent.

Now normally we'd have just apologised, if it wasn't for that damn Chimay - by now we were on the 8th or 9th drink, we tried to give them a few pointers, to which their response was "If you're so good, you do better", to which our response was "fuck yeah". (I feel I should point out that were both in the same band at this point.)

Luckily we managed to stand un-aided and we step up and quite frankly kick some ass all the way through "Stand by me" and "House of the rising sun" - at that point we decide to quite whilst we are ahead, they go back to their god awful Journey covers, we head to the back of the pub and enjoy free beer for the rest of the night.

And possibly the worlds most psychadelic vomit and a hangover that would kill a rhino the next day.

#54 Jaizha

Jaizha

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:18 PM

The beers I tend to like best are real ales and Belgian beers. Chimay, Leffe and Duvel are all excellent examples of the latter. Chimay and Leffe have several varieties of their beer, all with varying tastes. I think Chimay Rouge was served at a pub near me for some time, but it's now under new management and they don't stock it any more. Chimay Bleu I found at the New Barrack Tavern in Sheffield, which stocks a glorious range of beers including the 'local' Kelham Island brews. Kelham Island beers are even less well-distributed than Black Sheep; you probably won't find them outside of Sheffield unless you're at a beer festival, but if you do have the opportunity to try one, I'd certainly recommend it.

Going back to the more widely available real ales, I can't fault Brakspear in the slightest. They also do a bottle-conditioned organic beer that's slightly lighter than Triple at 4.6%. I don't normally go for organic beers but that is delicious. I also have to recommend Marston's - Pedigree is probably their best-known beer and is commonly available throughout the UK, but it's also worth looking out for Old Empire and Double Drop (a malty beer that I have only ever seen bottled).

If you ever happen to be in Prague, look up U Fleku. Their dark beer (Flek) is easily one of the best I've tasted. I'm not sure if it's generally available outside the Czech Republic; if it is please let me know as I would probably import crateloads of the stuff. Staropramen's also good if you prefer the taste of lager, and this is available in some UK bars.

#55 norg

norg

King Hippo

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:01 PM

Another vote for Hoegaarden. Also Leffe Blonde and Waggledance honey beer, which seems to only be available on tap in a solitary pub in south London.

#56 Maniq

Maniq

• ♦ Administrators
  • 2783 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

There is a pub in Greenwich that serves Waggledance, Leffe Blonde and Hoegaarden, at non-typical london prices.

They also do a 'cocktail' that is a shot of every single clear spirit behind the bar, with a dash of lemonade.

#57 norg

norg

King Hippo

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

Aha. It's sold bottled most places, even in supermarkets, but I can never find it on tap. The only place I'd ever seen it was in a pub right next to Borough Market near Southwark/Tower Bridge. It's nice to be able to saunter over to the market and get a chorizo panini then go eat it on a bench with a pint of Waggledance. :)

#58 Maniq

Maniq

• ♦ Administrators
  • 2783 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:31 PM

Borough Market is amazing, the cheese from Neal's is amazingly good, their own brand yoghurt is great as well.

#59 Hober

Hober

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:21 PM

The alcohol content of Guinness actually varies from country to country. I went on a trip to South Africa and the Guinness there tasted so much sweeter and fruitier than the Guinness I get at home (Ireland) and was 8%

#60 oldmandennis

oldmandennis

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

The alcohol content of Guinness actually varies from country to country. I went on a trip to South Africa and the Guinness there tasted so much sweeter and fruitier than the Guinness I get at home (Ireland) and was 8%

I don't know if it's the same one they serve in Kenya, but that one is very fruity too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users