Photo

Anyone know the details of the C'Thun hotfix?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Romp

Romp

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:05 AM

yea we got out of comba last night on 1 attempt for a second, you just need to make sure all the claws etc are down. You can't res though.

#22 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24561 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:48 AM

You can drink, we had about 3seconds while we were out of combat.

It won't happen all the time though. I had a different equipment set queued in itemrack and nothing got switched.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#23 DeeNogger

DeeNogger

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 10838 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:51 AM

It won't happen all the time though. I had a different equipment set queued in itemrack and nothing got switched.

just out of curiosity, what were you switching and why?

#24 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24561 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

I wear a few +NR pieces during phase 1.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#25 Mosh

Mosh

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:01 AM

Killed this new version tonight. I don't know why exactly, but it seemed leaps and bounds easier than the 'old' one. The 15 seconds of free positioning more than makes up for not being able to rez the dark glare noobs outside of druid rezzes.

#26 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11576 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:24 AM

Killed this new version tonight. I don't know why exactly, but it seemed leaps and bounds easier than the 'old' one. The 15 seconds of free positioning more than makes up for not being able to rez the dark glare noobs outside of druid rezzes.

For a guild that had only killed him a few times, the rez change was a big deal. It effectively changes the win condition on phase 1, and we had to raise the bar on a phase where we'd been complacent for a while.

We got wiped by a Giant Eye inside C'Thun's body. How often does this seem to be happening to people?

By the way, anyone ever killed him between vuln's? Was fun.

#27 Kytrarewn

Kytrarewn

In 1st, e-brake activated.

• Members
  • 4069 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:34 AM

For a guild that had only killed him a few times, the rez change was a big deal. It effectively changes the win condition on phase 1, and we had to raise the bar on a phase where we'd been complacent for a while.

We got wiped by a Giant Eye inside C'Thun's body. How often does this seem to be happening to people?

Heh... our rogues attacking for CP and warriors attacking for Rage managed to get him to something like 94% before the first vuln. Was amusing.
Don't let this asshole be a US Senator:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jesus don't want me in a sunbeam
Sunbeams are always made on me
Don't expect me to cry, for all the reasons I'm gonna die
Don't ever ask your kick of me.

#28 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11576 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:42 AM

Heh... our rogues attacking for CP and warriors attacking for Rage managed to get him to something like 94% before the first vuln. Was amusing.

Wow, 600% of his HP bar is a lot of damage in that much time. How long did you take to vuln?

We had him at 1% after two vulns, a few people took potshots at him. Some Priest Mind Blasted for 6 and he went down. I had considered ordering the raid to DPS him, but the numbers weren't right. He could have had as much as 199% HP (effectively), taking the duration of 4 vulns (3 mins) to bring down. Realistically longer, since the coordination would have been terrible. Since we can't survive that long ignoring tentacles, we were planning to just do it the normal way.

#29 Teval

Teval

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:07 AM

Yes, there is no OOC phase. The transform animation is clipped short, and C'Thun phase 2 just pops into place instead of the Eye as the Eye dies.

Is the "Eye of C'Thun dies." message in the combat log still there though?

#30 arc

arc

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

We had two failed attempts and a kill tonight. ("What do you mean we actually have to pay attention and not die to stupid stuff in phase 1 again!?" And had a bunch of applicants with us.) All 3 pulls got us into phase 2, just with too many dead the first two tries -- made for some sloppy giant eye pickups.. Of probably 15-20 Giant Eye spawns throughout the course of those 3 runs, none were in the stomach.

Not that this is a high enough sample to be of any use. I'd imagine it's just a {number of people in the stomach} / {number of people in raid} chance to have a Giant Eye in the stomach.

To parrot what others are saying, on our first p1->p2 we had no visible out of combat period. A few people said they saw the -combat +combat from SCT really quickly, some others with SCT said they saw nothing. We were slow killing the p1 Claw Tentacles this time. Second and killing attempts we had about 3 seconds. Long enough to drink, switch gear, etc, not long enough to res.

Probably same as in 1.11: if you kill all the claw tentacles you get a quick break to drink and shift gear, if you leave claw tentacles up too long then you miss the window.

Afterthought: I hope they keep this pull method. It's so much nicer than even C'Thun 1.0. No need for a designated puller, or pull healers. No need to worry about giving anyone sufficient girth on the pull. Just run in fast and get to it. It's perfect.

#31 chalon

chalon

Founder of the Chalonverse

• Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:22 AM

Yeah, on our kill tonight we were OOC for like 2s between p1 and p2 I think. But only a couple people were dead so we just used druid rezzes. It felt really easy, but then again we've killed him almost 20 times by this point, so it should.

#32 Judia

Judia

Banned

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:16 AM

We had this happen twice before 1.12. I am very confident this happens if you fail to kill all the little claw tenticles before being dropped from combat.
To err is human

#33 Judia

Judia

Banned

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:21 AM

Afterthought: I hope they keep this pull method. It's so much nicer than even C'Thun 1.0. No need for a designated puller, or pull healers. No need to worry about giving anyone sufficient girth on the pull. Just run in fast and get to it. It's perfect.

Im suprized people seriously ued this method, guess we live in a dark hole.
I always made the pull, with NR pot and PW:S, and a swiftness pot running to the 11 or 1 position (entering from 6 o'clock). If your "puller" is running to the far side noone has to stop to run around him, and as puller I never took more than 3 chained beams which I could survive with PW:S and a second NR pot anyway. I think the important detal is your "puller" running to the far side of the eye, not standing in the entrance making life much harder for everyone else.
To err is human

#34 Jin

Jin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:28 AM

We had this happen twice before 1.12. I am very confident this happens if you fail to kill all the little claw tenticles before being dropped from combat.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason. If claws were all down last patch, you could have around 30 seconds out of combat time.

#35 issei

issei

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

after several days' worth of attempts spread out over the last couple of months with zero progress past getting to phase 2 (oh shit, giant eye tentacles!? let's wipe!), we came in for the first time since 1.12 and got to 35% in two weakenings. the new pull method is much, much more idiot-proof.

#36 Dakous

Dakous

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:36 AM

and also that we have to be harsher on retard net issues.

Minor derail here (the main point of the thread has been addressed, looks like) - for some reason it never occurred to me in months of wiping how a part of the C'thun fight is like that paracute exercise thing that was pretty "popular" in fourth grade. I figure just about everyone has come up with the web/net analogy, but anyone think up it being paracutes? Especially if you ever did parachute in parachute, that really meshes up with the fight.

Parachute - where everyone spreads out in a ring grabbing the end of the parachute, and then you all run in circles and then throw your arms up, and duck under the parachute where it forms a big chamber that quickly will "crush" you. Lots of giggling is usually involved as I recall, and no OMFG U NOOB U CHAINED THE PARACHUTE ON ME, but analogies can only go so far.

Purely an "origin of gimmicks" question.
Everybody is your brother until the rent comes due.

#37 Mem

Mem

King Hippo

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:55 AM

We killed him yesterday for the second time. There is definitely less margin for an error in p1 since you cannot rezz folks between the phases. Nevertheless, its still doable, since nobody should die in p1 ;) Oh and yes, if there are any tentacles left, they will keep you in combat, sure.

A completely different questions to those who have this boss on farm for some time now...can you kill him with two vulnerabilty phases only?

#38 Jin

Jin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:28 AM

We killed him yesterday for the second time. There is definitely less margin for an error in p1 since you cannot rezz folks between the phases. Nevertheless, its still doable, since nobody should die in p1 ;) Oh and yes, if there are any tentacles left, they will keep you in combat, sure.

A completely different questions to those who have this boss on farm for some time now...can you kill him with two vulnerabilty phases only?

Yes, though its usually three. I remember on our first two kills it took four :(

#39 Chaotik

Chaotik

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

our run before tonight we got him to 42% first vul .... usually we kill him in 2 vuls.. 3 if we lose some dps

#40 Schneeb

Schneeb

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

Sorry for the bump but I observed some (interesting?!) behavior.

On our first new pull he started beaming <10sec from the pull, possibly attacking him starts the timer earlier than a 'body pull' would (we used to pull with a hunter in NR gear so ranged attacks = +combat sooner) ... anyway this didnt cause any wipes after we stopped being so relaxed about the new pull :)

On our second pull everything was going great, eye was on 60% odd - a green beam comes my way hitting for 3.3k i chug a major healing pot then die from a 2. something ground rupture - maybe if i had an NR pot up would I have survived (mage 4.8k hlt buffed i think) ... what worried me is usually the green beam damage is 2. something

Are the 3.3k green beams similar to the impossible cthun ?! .... needless to say we wiped to many deaths that time

The next try we seemed to have 2k green beams and everything was 'normal' ... 2 weakens in stage 2 - job done!

Was interested to see if anyone had experienced the 3k+ green beams and if indeed the 'impossible' incarnation was that value ... seems extremely odd that it could change between pulls too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users