Photo

Anyone know the details of the C'Thun hotfix?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 Kytrarewn

Kytrarewn

In 1st, e-brake activated.

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:21 PM

Heh... our rogues attacking for CP and warriors attacking for Rage managed to get him to something like 94% before the first vuln. Was amusing.

Wow, 600% of his HP bar is a lot of damage in that much time. How long did you take to vuln?

We had him at 1% after two vulns, a few people took potshots at him. Some Priest Mind Blasted for 6 and he went down. I had considered ordering the raid to DPS him, but the numbers weren't right. He could have had as much as 199% HP (effectively), taking the duration of 4 vulns (3 mins) to bring down. Realistically longer, since the coordination would have been terrible. Since we can't survive that long ignoring tentacles, we were planning to just do it the normal way.

We run a pretty melee heavy raid with 6 warriors at any given time and 5 rogues. Not sure that it was 94%, especially given that Nurfed's unit frames are a bit screwy as far as raid boss percentages (for whatever reason, they try to insert a 0% and skip a few percents towards the top of the bar). 97 or 98 would probably be more accurate with other unit frames.

I'd estimate that our first vuln took at least 3 minutes (6 tentacle spawns, probably more). We also don't put melee on the Giant Tentacles other than the tank generally (it's a weird strategy that's tough to explain on the intarweb, but it works for us), and have them focusing on small eyes around him.

Still, I can't quite figure out how it happened because (as you say) that's a huge amount of damage there (200-300% of his HP since it's a 99% invuln), but it did.
Don't let this asshole be a US Senator:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jesus don't want me in a sunbeam
Sunbeams are always made on me
Don't expect me to cry, for all the reasons I'm gonna die
Don't ever ask your kick of me.

#42 Kytrarewn

Kytrarewn

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:32 PM

A completely different questions to those who have this boss on farm for some time now...can you kill him with two vulnerabilty phases only?

Our first kill was two vulns... we were buffed to all hell and were frustrated after about 7 hours of work on him that day and a couple months of farming the Emps (we killed him my second week in the guild, after having xferred, so I missed a large part of the earlier frustration).

Essentially, we got him to 46% (again, with the stupid Nurfed Unit Frames %'s, some people said it was 44) on our first vuln, and at the second vuln everyone DPSed him to the ground... maybe not ideal because, as we found out this past week when we did that and he went invuln at 8% when we were trying for two vulns (though, thank god, we managed to stick together until we got him vuln again to win, was another frustrating night), having everyone at close to 0 mana and NOT pulling it off is a *bad* thing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#43 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

It won't happen all the time though. I had a different equipment set queued in itemrack and nothing got switched.

We had this happen twice before 1.12. I am very confident this happens if you fail to kill all the little claw tenticles before being dropped from combat.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason. If claws were all down last patch, you could have around 30 seconds out of combat time.

That does make sense. Maybe we can try to remember to test it out this weekend.

Now someone figure out how to get Ouro to skip submerges.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#44 Schneeb

Schneeb

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

We had this happen twice before 1.12. I am very confident this happens if you fail to kill all the little claw tenticles before being dropped from combat.

Yeah, that's exactly the reason. If claws were all down last patch, you could have around 30 seconds out of combat time.

11000 dps and a 3min first stage (to get him below 20% before he tries :p)

#45 Kytrarewn

Kytrarewn

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:16 PM

We heard someone mention here that DPSing him by more than 25% by 90 seconds is what keeps him up. Since we started watching, all evidence has pointed in that direction.

Also: The small claw thing is another thing that we realized before the patch when trying to do the mid-combat rezz thing. When the eye dies, burning small claws is UTMOST priority and we generally get that 2-3 second combat halt, though not enough to rezz, of course.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#46 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:59 PM

Pretty sure I can confirm that. At 2-3%, we have everyone in range of Claw Tentacles switch to them while the raid finished off the eye. Usually gives us drink time, unless we get an unlucky spawn.

#47 tzu

tzu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

It won't happen all the time though. I had a different equipment set queued in itemrack and nothing got switched.

As a healer, I found that not having any active HoTs on other players during the phase switch helped getting OOC as well.
Posted Image

#48 Nfariessence

Nfariessence

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:37 PM

Has anyone else noticed a change in the Large Eye Tentacles? We've 1 or 2 shotted C'thun every week for the last 2 months before 1.12 and never really had any problems with the pull. But since they hotfixed the pull we have encountered a totally different problem. In past, the Large Eye Tentacles would form and wait 1-2 seconds before they would start to green beam. Now they are shooting the instant that they spawn (sometimes before they've even fully rendered) it seems.

That was consistently wiping the 3-4 melee per minute that were finishing up the last Giant Claw Tentacle and causing us to call a wipe.

Is anyone else noticing this change? If so, how are you dealing with it? (and the simple retort "Stay spread out!" is elementary, but not entirely applicable if you are trying to burn down GCT's as quickly as possible).

#49 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

Obviously there are tons of ways different classes can keep the small eyes from beaming - intercept, shield bash, feral charge, bash, kick, etc. - but I can't recall Phase 2 being any more difficult than it used to be.

I guess I can't really imagine there being a trick to it. Maybe just make sure a few people stay put instead of chasing giants and keep your timers handy?

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#50 Adiar

Adiar

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:00 PM

Has anyone else noticed a change in the Large Eye Tentacles? We've 1 or 2 shotted C'thun every week for the last 2 months before 1.12 and never really had any problems with the pull. But since they hotfixed the pull we have encountered a totally different problem. In past, the Large Eye Tentacles would form and wait 1-2 seconds before they would start to green beam. Now they are shooting the instant that they spawn (sometimes before they've even fully rendered) it seems.

We're still learning the encounter and this wiped us on our best attempt- 30%, about to get him to a third Vuln, then an eye tentacle popped up and chain beamed immediately killing about 6 people. Only if it was 1.11 again, with OOC rez time too! :(

#51 Nfariessence

Nfariessence

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Obviously there are tons of ways different classes can keep the small eyes from beaming - intercept, shield bash, feral charge, bash, kick, etc. - but I can't recall Phase 2 being any more difficult than it used to be.

I guess I can't really imagine there being a trick to it. Maybe just make sure a few people stay put instead of chasing giants and keep your timers handy?

That's not it exactly. We have timers, and we know that they are going to pop. Mages know to CS, rogues and pallies know to stun, warriors know to bash. We've got all that down (we have killed him regularly for a few months now). Still, our first indication of the presence of a Giant Eye was not "hey look, there's a big eye" it was, "wow, there go 3 dead rogues and a tank, oh look here comes the eye that just beamed them". I bitched at the mages/rogues/warriors for their slackness after the first 2 wipes, but then I watched for it myself.

Armed with my Death Coil and Curse of Tongues (DC > CoT), I watched for 5 seconds before an eye spawn and on the 3rd go round was lucky enough to be watching right where it spawned. It started to materialize, was within 20 yards ranged, and before I could press my DC button, it had already beamed a druid for 3.3k. My DC hit it about a half second after it's first beam and then we burned it down. I could not stop it from beaming even with instant cast spells, it beamed just too damn fast. On the 2nd spawn after that it killed a tank, 2 rogues, and a priest. I called for a wipe.

#52 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

The giant eye spawns at the same time as the small ones, you shouldn't need an indication of it. It spawns every time.

#53 Nurru

Nurru

Mike Tyson

• Guild Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

The fight didn't feel any different for me really. The animation and timing between phases was different, but because there were no claws up we still were able to drink. However, 3 seconds to sit down and drink isn't long enough for a res so I don't believe we were able to res someone during the transition this week.

#54 Galadrial

Galadrial

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:29 AM

Well 2nd phase Cthun is also ALOT easier. We nuked him for ~30 seconds during the first weakening and got him to 56% . Before the Hotfix our best was 42% on ~41 seconds,executes including... In other word his HP where nurfed, at 2/3 of the old Cthun. They made him alot easier now.

#55 Tel

Tel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

Well 2nd phase Cthun is also ALOT easier. We nuked him for ~30 seconds during the first weakening and got him to 56% . Before the Hotfix our best was 42% on ~41 seconds,executes including... In other word his HP where nurfed, at 2/3 of the old Cthun. They made him alot easier now.

1. Fill out your profile.
2. i've seen NO evidence to back this claim up, you have any screenshots proving it simply wasnt a case of you actually doing a reasonable amount of dps this time? Most guilds manage it in two weakens these days (we did 3 last time, due to about 6 people folowing one guy who lagged out and running into dark glare (lemmings, i swear.) so 56% after one weaken is reasonable with people burning cooldowns for it.

Provide something to back it up and i'll eat my words, but after doing C'thun two days ago and it feeling EXACTLY the same as before (barring entry change throwing about 50% of the timer mods out of whack) i dont really agree with you.
3. Fill out your profile.

#56 Shik

Shik

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

Just a quick query. I'm editing the cthun.lua for bigwigs to the new delay on the Dark Glare/Tentacle starts. It was originally 45 secs, has anyone changed it and knows the exact new delay? seems like 10 seconds, but I don't get to test it for a few days.

#57 Feer

Feer

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

Gear improvement and rogue review are more likely reasons than HP nerf to C'thun. Actually, due to some timing screwups our first C'thun kill post 1.12 took four weakens to do it...

#58 Sticks

Sticks

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

I know we did once get him to ~43% with no consumables and a non optimal raid pre patch, while we only got him to ~56% last kill. Almost 100% that his hp wasn't changed at all.

#59 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

Just a quick query. I'm editing the cthun.lua for bigwigs to the new delay on the Dark Glare/Tentacle starts. It was originally 45 secs, has anyone changed it and knows the exact new delay? seems like 10 seconds, but I don't get to test it for a few days.

http://svn.wowace.co...Wigs-r10206.zip has updated C'Thun timers.

#60 isk

isk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:43 PM

phase 2 C'thun was considerably more difficult for my guild due to the instant eye beam from the large eyes. there are certainly ways to counter it but it relies on either a large number of interrupters watching all points on the map (which detracts from your baby tentacle interruptors) or a fair amount of luck over the course of a fight, perhaps both. I hope the change to the giant eyes is a bug, it seems pretty cheap and changed the entire fight for us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users