• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 mutagen

mutagen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

Curious, was your bank toon named *Guild*bank? Or just someone's random alt that got roped into bank toon duty?

My two (not-so-informed) sents.

#22 Playered

Playered

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:03 PM

they are all tagged with the guild name followed by their purpose

I don't know anything

#23 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:09 PM

they are all tagged with the guild name followed by their purpose

Banned until Sunday. Perhaps in that time, you'll find your profile, capitalization and punctuation.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#24 hiro

hiro

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hehe, poor guys getting the ban stick all over. Hopefully both their accounts will be unbanned by then.

Say what you like about being a grammar Nazi, enforcing decent approximations of correct english will at least make people think twice about what they are posting.

#25 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:18 PM

[D]ecent approximations of correct english will at least make people think twice about what they are posting.

I do hope you know that the irony is killing me.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#26 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:30 PM

[D]ecent approximations of correct english will at least make people think twice about what they are posting.

Hey, he said approximations. Or maybe he was talking about pool.

Anyway, personally anyway, I always check a poster's IP before warning him about bad grammar -- if you post from a foreign country, you get more leeway. Sorry, Australia doesn't count.

#27 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

In 2001, the five largest groups of the 23.1% of Australians who were born overseas were from the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Italy, Vietnam and China.

:unsure:

#28 hiro

hiro

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

Anyway, personally anyway, I always check a poster's IP before warning him about bad grammar -- if you post from a foreign country, you get more leeway. Sorry, Australia doesn't count.

Yes, definitely most people will only produce an approximation of proper English. It would be nice to live in a world where we all read well formatted literature (perhaps something by Bujold or Banks) every day, and kept our written communication skills in fine form.

Sadly, we mostly type hurried snippets to each other as we do other things, and get a bit rusty. At least on this forum I always try to go over what I've written before I post and make sure:

1 - I'm actually saying something useful, and not just blathering.

2 - I'm not butchering the only language I know TOO badly. (For example, I avoided the word grammar because I simply wasn't sure wether it was grammAr or grammEr, but now at least I can blame Preatorian if I'm misspelling it here.)

PS - And yes I am aware that some people think puncuation does not belong immediatly before an end parenthesis, but I prefer a more programmatical approach to parenthesis, wherein an entire sentance could be denoted as an aside and yet not be cut off from its punctuation.

#29 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, I was just goofing on Hiro.

#30 Vykromond

Vykromond

the staleness of Max's dumps

• Moderators
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:06 PM

but now at least I can blame Preatorian

You can blame who? ;)

OK, OK, I'm done.

#31 Phorac

Phorac

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

Why stop there?

PS - And yes I am aware that some people think puncuation does not belong immediatly before an end parenthesis, but I prefer a more programmatical approach to parenthesis, wherein an entire sentance could be denoted as an aside and yet not be cut off from its punctuation.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

My sole vanity as a raid leader is to give myself an spriest at the expense of my fellow resto shamans. But they have better gear than I do, so fuck them.

#32 OzX

OzX

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

Type of Violation: economy exploitation and involvement in online trading

Anyone experienced this type of situation, is it avoidable? has anyone had it happen and then got it renounced nd returned?

Someone was buying/selling bank contents online. This is not hard to figure out. Frankly, I doubt you're as clueless as you claim to be about why the account was banned.

You can't do much about this. People get greedy, in these games just the same as they do in life and lie, cheat steal and sometimes hurt their "friends" in the process.

#33 Deril

Deril

King Hippo

• Guild Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:21 PM

I'm surprised that "wether" and "sentance" made it through unscathed, honestly.

On the topic of the original post: It is unlikely that the bank alt was banned for no reason entirely, and it was primarily done for reasons previously espoused in this thread. If it was banned for "economy exploitation", then something fishy was probably going on. If not, then send in your mass e-mails and hope that whichever Blizzard GM who receives it is feeling generous.

#34 Crimsonjade

Crimsonjade

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

This is a big part of the reason I keep the guild bank on my own account and no one other than me has access to it.

We just locked down our guild leaders account as well because of the recent posts about guild bank bannings. They seem to be happening a lot more lately, or maybe people are just being more vocal about it. Maybe I just have not seen it, but has Blizzard actually come out and set some guidelines for this? Also, it would be nice to know if they plan on adding a guild bank feature in TBC. I know I loved what CCP did with EVE and the hangar system. Different hangars, different permissions, auditing, etc. It would only then be too easy to see which officer was dipping into the funds to turn some profit in real life.

#35 OzX

OzX

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

We just locked down our guild leaders account as well because of the recent posts about guild bank bannings. They seem to be happening a lot more lately, or maybe people are just being more vocal about it. Maybe I just have not seen it, but has Blizzard actually come out and set some guidelines for this?

Well, with the recent mass-banning gold prices went through the roof (high exchange rate). Combine that with guilds who by some accounts are spending 3K gold per day throwing themselves at new content in Naxx, the trickle down of BoE epics, what I imagine is an all-around rise in consumable use (demand for gold), an upcoming expansion with a new level grind, thousands players heading back to school, going away for/graduating from college (reasons to leave the game) and you have an absolutely ideal time to profit from scamming in WoW for real world cash without much to lose for getting caught.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users