• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Incoherence

Incoherence

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

Would be nice to have them put the Join as Group function back in and make it Group vs Group action for AV. :)

Given the complete and total lack of any organization in 95% of AV matches, I doubt you'd need a full 40 to make a large impression. I've seen groups of 5 or 6 people clearly on Ventrilo either sabotaging rearguards or holding off far more people than they had any right to.

We've gotten as many as 12-15 in one AV. If you pull that off, you've basically won. (Nothing quite like stopping the full Alliance raid cold in front of Galvanger's room without a single casualty.)

#42 Farstrider

Farstrider

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

Honestly, and this may have come as a shock, but I feel the x server bg's have been horrible. Its completely gutted the thriving PvP community that was on Gorefiend. We never get to see our rival guilds in BG's anymore, except by random chance.

I kind of agree with this, much though the insta-queues are nice, there are just too many potential opponents to develop any kind of love/hate hate/hate relationships.

Whereas I used to be like "Oh it's XXX let's gank so and so", now I'm like "oh it's random alliance pug/premade from XXX".

We've definitely given something up in community/rivalry terms to gain something in practicality/accessibility.
<Fric> I think the only kind of gay buttsex I'd enjoy on any level would be assraping a smug hipster douchebag (also possibly a roid head and/or fratboy/Jersey Shore cast member)
<Zyla> If there's gonna be a dick in the room besides my own, i'd rather it have to be my brother's. You know that kinda sounds bad all typed out like that,

#43 pewsey

pewsey

is in need of adult supervision

•  Patrons
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:34 AM

I don't really like battlegrounds that much, but I love the AV PvP experience. It makes me think I'd enjoy a PvP server more.

However, being in Australia, I love that I can now get an AV game, with a 45 min wait maximum at any time of day or night.

Prior to 1.11, during the weekend AV queues were 2h+, 3hrs was very normal, and in off-peak times (when I can normally play) non-existant.

IMHO, 1.12 AV rocks. (So close to exalted with my Mage alt that I can smell the purply flowery offhand)
Pewsey has heard about tact and discretion, but tends to regard them much as children view vegetables.
There are only two kinds of MMOs: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody plays. (inspired by Bjarne Stroustrup)

#44 selece

selece

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

Cross-server AV is mostly bleh for the most part. I normally just hang around Stonehearth and just keep fighting a retreating action until I hit the bridge/aid station and hope that the offensive force can grow brains big enough to fight their way to Drek'thar.

Nothing quite like mowing down a bunch of Horde in 2-3 shots with the help of Renataki's ... then suddenly feeling very targetted as you're sitting on top of the killing blows list by a good margin. X_x Although, it tends to get you healed a lot more once people realize that given heals, you can completely discourage most random PUGs from advancing too far. Big multi crits tend to do that.

#45 Cyrithor

Cyrithor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

For me, PvP was about sparing, and playing against friends on the opposite faction on our server, going in with a guild team, and seeing how well we lined up against the Horde's best (or worst!) teams. Cross faction BG's has really taken the personality of PvP out of the game, for me at least. So instead of a long honor grind, or relaxing post-raid kill fest against well known opponents/friends, you now just fight nameless masses of Horde players from multiple servers, a lot of which you will never see in another game again.

...not to mention our Alliance queue time went from ~30 seconds to 5 minutes to 10 minutes to 30 minutes.

#46 syeren

syeren

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:40 PM

I think overall it was a good thing for the battlegrounds for pretty much everyone, I was getting sick of waiting 40 minutes per game to end a game in 5 minutes, and then only to repeat the exact same process.

The only thing I do miss is the realm drama which has dissapeared now :(

#47 Lumi

Lumi

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:56 PM

The original AV guild vs. guild (or group vs. group in most cases) was incredibly fun. Since there were so many people, you could get away with a PvE spec (so many NPCs to taunt/dps down fast too) and PvP happened on a regular basis. Now PvP is more of a hiderence in the way of slaying the other factions raid leader before they slay yours.

I know on Kil'Jaeden, the horde queue is still insta-queue like it always was. Although we are supposidly on a more competitive cluster, I see 15 pickup games before I see an organized team.

#48 Ragnathul

Ragnathul

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

Before cross realm battlegrounds we used to take a guild group to AV when we were done raiding for the night. The games usually lasted for quite some time and it wasn't uncommon to see more and more of people from similarly progressed horde guilds join up for some nice battles. Fighting people you knew or atleast recognized was much of the fun and since our non-guild allies were from the same server cooperating was pretty easy. I must say I miss that.

For now I use the instant AV games to restock on Ice Threaded Arrows without having to waste time flying.

#49 Dromakis

Dromakis

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:32 PM

Personally, I LOVE IT. On Kilrogg (H) we have zero waits when que'ing as group in WSG or AB and in between que's or if we take a 5min break I can get a quick AV shot in since there is no wait there either. Plus its nice seeing the other servers. Have had some fun vs Ner'Zhul, Silverhand, Tichondrius pre-made's (and many others). And like a previous poster stated, losing in AV nonstop isnt so bad considering you can do non stop AV's now with virtually no wait. And with AV weekend upcoming, should be good times.

Keeping my eye out to for EJ regulars, but no luck so far. I PVP on my warrior, Dieseltank (lol, lame name, I KNOW), give a shout if you see my weak ass running around bashing heads.
Posted Image

#50 Feorthas

Feorthas

King Hippo

• Members
  • 544 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

Battlegroup 8 has been pretty decent overall but I've been a bit burnt out on PvP since the start of this semester--I missed Rank 12 by two weeks :(--so all I have are some rather generic observations:

-It kinda sucks not being able to see some of your PvP 'Rivals'; I know that we, Risen (Ursin), usually had an awesome time playing against some of the horde guilds on Ursin in AB but we rarely see them anymore (aside from random encounters in the world where you are, inevitably, alone and there are 5+ of them).

-Pugging is... tolerable now. There's a large enough number of decent to good players that I can actually rep up in warsong without tearing my hair out. Of course, I've run into more horde pre-made groups than before but those games are usually over quickly anyway.

-While pugging is tolerable, there's always that pickup from hell. You know, the one where you zone in, look around at your team with /inspect to see if someone's worth healing, and just start crying. Even worse, the other team is usually just as bad off so you end up with 30+ minute flag-standoffs in WSG because neither team can burst the other's carrier down. While this seems to happen a lot more now, I've found that threatening to return the horde flag myself will stop the alliance team from turtling and actually produce results every now and then.

-Being a Druid in a PvP setting is immensely more fun, for me, than previously and I have a feeling that being a non-shadow priest is at least a bit better as well. Is there someone, or more than one person, worth healing? Well, I get honor from their kills now (gogo auto-BG group!) so I'm perfectly willing to heal them! If there isn't anyone worth healing, I can always pop on my feral gear and kill something (or, alternatively, my flag running gear if it looks like we have a chance).

-On a slight tangent to the last point, do any other classes see a benefit to the new system?

Aside from not seeing any Horde that I actually know in a BG all that often, which sucks quite a bit, the new system is quite a nice change all things considered.
I am not your personal Frost Deathknight knowledge base. If you have a simple question, ask in the simple questions thread; if you have a more esoteric, specific, or complicated question, ask in the spec-appropriate thread.

My PM, WoWmail, and, especially, chat boxes are NOT the appropriate places for these questions.

#51 Chicken

Chicken

 

• Moderators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

European Battlegroup 1 is largely interesting because it consists purely of release day English servers. Surprisingly enough there's still a large amount of PUGs, but also a large amount of geared out pre-mades. The fact that practically every single server is effectively 'full' also means that there's something wrong if there isn't at least 5 AVs, 30 ABs and 40 WSGs going on.

Working great for me, though some of our more hardcore PvPers are annoyed by the far larger anonimity. Though you do get to see some "celebrities" from PvP movies from time to time.

#52 aquacadet

aquacadet

Great Tiger

• Guild Members
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:39 PM

Overall I like the cross server BG experience, I just wish there were a way to play teams and only teams. They lead to fun games like this: http://img146.images...1ysondreti8.png

I hate wasting an hour playing pick up groups, then having someone get bored and take a break only to get in against a team on the next queue. On a side note 3priests and 3paladins make it tough to down a flag carrier.

#53 Morrigdu

Morrigdu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:41 PM

The cross server PvP was and is a huge debacle for Hyjal. BG11 started out bad (4 other servers) and isn't getting any better with only new servers being introduced. Stomping pugs from servers with no raid population isn't fun or challenging at all.

Queue times increased an average of 25% for alliance side, on an already alliance heavy server, and continue to get worse. The only thing that kept PvP going at all for us, was the rivalries and quality opponents. Largely that's gone now, due to the fact that you don't see the same opponents in the same night anymore.

Add to that we ended up with some self-appointed police from Cenarion Circle who decided that they had to report and lvl1 alt post accusations of speedhacking against any rogue and hunter they ran across, and it's killed the community feel. I went from doing some light pvp for recreation outside of raids to not even bothering to queue.

#54 warren

warren

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

Overall I like the cross server BG experience, I just wish there were a way to play teams and only teams. They lead to fun games like this: http://img146.images...1ysondreti8.png

I hate wasting an hour playing pick up groups, then having someone get bored and take a break only to get in against a team on the next queue. On a side note 3priests and 3paladins make it tough to down a flag carrier.

If you get someone on another team's vent and coordinate which gamenumber you'll be joining you can set up matches with the current system. It's actually pretty fast and easy to do if your cluster's queue times arent bad.

#55 Kalince

Kalince

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:15 PM

Being on a stupidly alliance heavy server, I've noticed a huge improvement. It used to be that I'd wait for an hour-and-a-half Warsong queue only to get a guaranteed game against one of the two honor farming horde teams. There was no such thing as a PUG if it wasn't Warsong weekend. The other downside was no competition; Alliance Marshal teams always outgeared horde Warlord teams.

Nowdays, things are consistently quick in Battlegroup 3. Generally 10~ minute queues for AB and Warsong, with AV hovering around 30 minutes. A wealth of PUG's to steamroll, but more importantly, competition. There's some brutal teams from Skullcrusher and Mannoroth that have been demolishing our former GM groups. It's fun to play again.

The only thing I don't like is that our queues seem to get messed up more often. Since we got new Hardware a few weeks back, there have been at least three times I could count that no BG's would be up at all, in the middle of peak hours. It gets annoying, and it's caused trouble for more than a few people trying to grind ranks. It could be an isolated thing, but it's still obnoxious.

Overall, I like it.

While it might have been a boon to your server in regards to queue times it hurt Mannoroth Alliance queues. More importantly since I pug most of the time I can rarely get into an AB that doesn't start at a 15v10 Horde advantage whereas people were pretty good at joining games before x-server bgs. It really has been frustrating starting down people and seeing more alliance in the most terrible gear imaginable. I like the fact that I never miss a queue because the wait times are always accurate but being in the game with the low quality of play I could do without.

#56 KinetiK

KinetiK

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

Queues on Burning Blade Alliance side went from 5-7 min AB/WSG to 25-27 min and AV went from 15 min to 47+min with the release of 1.12. I gnashed my teeth about it for a couple of weeks and then decided to save my breath (and keystrokes) and just quit the grind. It's certainly not worth it in terms of loot quality/time esp when you see some screenies of lvl 60 socketable greens that are leagues better than the blue PvP rewards.
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before. - Dwight Eisenhower

#57 Tenskatawa

Tenskatawa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:42 PM

For Darkspear Horde the queue times are nearly instant, which has had the consequence of 1) making the rep grinds a lot more bearable and 2) making PVP ranking semi-casually an impossibility. So, while I have had to give up my dreams of getting the awesome-looking rogue pvp armor, I'm getting the rep faster and I've picked up raid items that are better for the most part anyway. Mixed blessing.
"When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it\'s full of urine." -HaemishM

#58 Uziel

Uziel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

For Burning Blade US Alliance, this has utterly killed PVP IMO.
I used to PVP a few hours a week here and there in Battlegrounds...but now I've spent those same hours queued and tile hopping or gathering whipper root tubers.

#59 Amera

Amera

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

one of the best parts of PVP, in my mind, comes from the familiarity of it - playing that one team yet again. for a long time, LA pretty much never lost on ner'zhul, and when the top horde pvp team finally beat us, it was a big deal. with a larger pool, rivalries like that can't really develop as readily, and while variety in opposition is nice, victories are somewhat less satisfying when you don't know who you stole that flag out from under at the last second.

X-server BGs are the best thing to happen to WoW in a long time. Our queues went from ridiculous to basically instantaneous (except AV, which is still usually 30min or less). As for the "playing that one team yet again," that was why I hated in realm BGs. 50% of wsgs were against "The Horde Honor Team." It was pointless. It was virtually impossible to find some nice pug v pug matches in anything but AV.
Author Site || Facebook || Goodreads || Guild Wars 2 Amera.9317 || Marvel Heroes: Selaste

#60 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

one of the best parts of PVP, in my mind, comes from the familiarity of it - playing that one team yet again. for a long time, LA pretty much never lost on ner'zhul, and when the top horde pvp team finally beat us, it was a big deal. with a larger pool, rivalries like that can't really develop as readily, and while variety in opposition is nice, victories are somewhat less satisfying when you don't know who you stole that flag out from under at the last second.

X-server BGs are the best thing to happen to WoW in a long time. Our queues went from ridiculous to basically instantaneous (except AV, which is still usually 30min or less). As for the "playing that one team yet again," that was why I hated in realm BGs. 50% of wsgs were against "The Horde Honor Team." It was pointless. It was virtually impossible to find some nice pug v pug matches in anything but AV.

i hate pug games. pug vs pug is pretty miserable, but organized group vs pug (on either side) is even worse. i dunno - i pvp to find a competitive challenge, and i've found the relevance of the competition (like playing a rival team from the same server) has gone down. the people i play against don't have personalities to me - they're just a group with this many warriors, this many priests, etc. i still enjoy the games, but i don't care about them as much anymore, to the point that we haven't had an active PVP group pretty much since xserver bgs came out. when i want to pvp, i go play my horde druid, mostly because i just enjoy running flags and trying to see what sort of crazy situations i can get myself out of :-P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users