• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MIzpah

MIzpah

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

Based on the desire to get precise details quickly on progress nights I am trying to put together a ‘best practice’ guide on analysing raid performance and wipes. This will be initially for my use, and then for other officers in the guild. In the long run I would guess I will be using Omniscience, however as its not yet available I am trying to understand how to get as close as possible to the same information, and speed of analysys in game.

At present I use(or am aware that I can use):

1) I Ensure combat log range is extended
2) I Ensure that the combat log is on (default blizzard log)
3) I ensure that SW Stats (currently Beta2) is running properly
4) I ensure I am frapsing anything significant

Going into real detail is still something I am new to, so two questions:

1) How can I best use the combat log I can generate, what tools should I be using to filter\parse output from said log, and can these be run ‘in game’ as opposed to by tabbing out ?

2) Is there anything significant I am missing (add-ons perhaps?) that would change dramatically how I approach this task ?

As you can see I am not MT, but as raid leader I am trying to rely only on the information that I can capture. The intended purpose is analysing the whole raid group, individual performances, and refining strategy on the fly.

#2 Ashuko

Ashuko

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:17 PM

Use WoW Web Stats. http://www.lossendil.fr/serendipity/

It parses your combat log and creates very pretty HTML reports. Very handy, very nice. Not the best for parsing what happens in a fight but a great, HTML-format output that's very much like SW Stats in terms of the general reporting.

#3 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:20 PM

WoW Web Stats

**edit
Bah, too late.

Stopped Playing

#4 Christmas

Christmas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:21 PM

Quick newbie question: how do I extend the range of the combat log?

#5 Ashuko

Ashuko

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:23 PM

Quick newbie question: how do I extend the range of the combat log?

If you use a mod called "AutoCL", it'll do it for you (max 100yards with the current version of AutoCL).

http://ui.worldofwar.../ui.php?id=3077

It's very handy because it'll automatically start/stop a combat log when you enter a raid zone that you specify. Just don't forget to delete your combat log before you enter a zone if you don't want to simply pile on new data on top of stale info.

#6 MIzpah

MIzpah

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:47 PM

@Ashuko\sp00n

Thanks for the link, I will take a detailed look, however at first glance it does not look as robust as swstats in terms of the information provided, I would love this functionality to output to web, but I need to be able to quickly see things in raid as well!

@ Christmas

From a previous poster on these boards, typing the following:

/console SET CombatLogRangeParty "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "150"
/console SET CombatLogRangeCreature "150"

Will set your combat log range to 150 yards.

Does anyone know of any good mods to deal with (or even replace) the default combat log in game ? I would love to see how much meaningfull information I could actualy gain without leaving my UI!

#7 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

Does anyone know of any good mods to deal with (or even replace) the default combat log in game ? I would love to see how much meaningfull information I could actualy gain without leaving my UI!

I use Hitsmode for my combat log. It is very similar to the default one, but uses colors so it is easier to understand the information in it.

There is yet another one by the same author as SCT (Greyhoof) that is also popular, but I can't recall the name of it. If you search wowinterface.com for that author it will show up.

#8 Goggles

Goggles

King Hippo

• Members
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

There is yet another one by the same author as SCT (Greyhoof) that is also popular, but I can't recall the name of it. If you search wowinterface.com for that author it will show up.

Eavesdrop
Not actually a member of Refusion on Burning Blade.

#9 watzthere2lose

watzthere2lose

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Nurfed Combat Log

a) Color Coded User friendly View
b) Easy to Configure
c) Can re-direct combat information to different chat windows (2 default chat windows + upto 5 user created chat windows)
d) Can monitor a single target or a set of targets or Party or RAID or Self in a chat window

#10 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

@Ashuko\sp00n

Thanks for the link, I will take a detailed look, however at first glance it does not look as robust as swstats in terms of the information provided, I would love this functionality to output to web, but I need to be able to quickly see things in raid as well!

I think it's more detailed than SwStats, but that may be due to that I haven't tried SwStats in months, maybe there are now some more detailed information for different abilities/spells.

Stopped Playing

#11 Papajan

Papajan

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

I'd love to know if anyone has seen a mod that shows a report of the cause of death for each raid member. Did they not get heals for a period of time? Was it random burst damage? Did they not move out of AoE or not wear resist gear? Did they pull aggro and get killed? Did slow debuff removal kill them? It would be awesome if there is a mod that could give a rough idea of which of a list of such causes killed each person. It would also be nice if there were a way to mark when a wipe has been called/implied, since subsequent deaths don't need analysis.

I know this is a topic that's come up several times since I've been around here, but this is the only thread I could find
http://forums.elitis...pic.php?id=7926

#12 chibihost

chibihost

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

If you are into the bossmod-writing portion, Transcriptor is probably a good thing.
http://www.matts-hos...k/Transcriptor/
(requires ace2 i belive)

It gives you the combat log, but broken down by what ingame events they fire

#13 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:31 AM

Is there some documention for Transcriptor?
Couldn't find it on curse/wowinterface/ui.worldofwar.
And Google showed only "use transcriptor!" sort of messages. :/

Stopped Playing

#14 Oaklin

Oaklin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

Does anyone know if extending the range of your combat logging from 40->100+ yards increases the bandwidth utilisation of WOW? (in other words, does it lag you more?)

#15 MIzpah

MIzpah

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

I can only provide non-empirical evidence, however from a personal perspective I see no difference in performance from increasing combat log range. If you try it and it does not suit you you can always reset it!

#16 Shavnir

Shavnir

Mostly Harmless

• Allied Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

Does anyone know if extending the range of your combat logging from 40->100+ yards increases the bandwidth utilisation of WOW? (in other words, does it lag you more?)

I had some...issues...when I did this and did Razorgore, so I'd reccomend not doing it for the zerg style encounters. Then again I was also getting SpellAlert messages from not only all four corners but also from the orcs in the Supression Room casting Healing Circle on each other

#17 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

Twin Emperors and Bug Explode warning is also funny with extended log range. ^^

Stopped Playing

#18 Mulcahy

Mulcahy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

Simple Combat Log

http://www.curse-gam...combat-log.html

I dropped Hitsmode after using SCL. The fact that it "removes all unnecessary words" is really helpful when you have a number of combat log windows open.

#19 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

I had some...issues...when I did this and did Razorgore, so I'd reccomend not doing it for the zerg style encounters. Then again I was also getting SpellAlert messages from not only all four corners but also from the orcs in the Supression Room casting Healing Circle on each other

If you get the SCT Spell Alert addon, you can set it so you only get spell casting messages from your target. After those two rooms, you could turn it back to how you already had it.

#20 Anias

Anias

Solution complicated; Dispense enlightening graph.

•  Patrons
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:59 PM

The client recieves all that information regardless of log range so there is no additional bandwidth concerns. The log range is a filter. You do have additional overhead related to having post-filter analysis occur (if you run addons that care about combat events, such as spell alert, or combat logs, they have to process more when it's not filtered before the lua stage.)
First star to the right, and straight on till morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users