• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Stent

Stent

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 10:59 PM

Can anyone who's been doing these packs for a while clue me in to a good way to handle them? Our guild got to them for the first time last night. While we were managing to get through them most of the time, we were losing far too many people, and going much too slow to beat the spider pack respawns. We tried tanking everything with warriors/druids, pulling the pack by nuking a single cultist, spreading out and LOSing, etc, etc. It seems like there's far too much damage incoming for us to be doing anything right here.

#2 Nurru

Nurru

Mike Tyson

• Guild Members
  • 12,235 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

For the cultist groups we use a system of controlled anarchy. By that I mean the bolt volleys are kept out of LOS while the rest of us run around like maniacs dsping the rest.

#3 Phantim

Phantim

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:07 PM

Can anyone who's been doing these packs for a while clue me in to a good way to handle them? Our guild got to them for the first time last night. While we were managing to get through them most of the time, we were losing far too many people, and going much too slow to beat the spider pack respawns. We tried tanking everything with warriors/druids, pulling the pack by nuking a single cultist, spreading out and LOSing, etc, etc. It seems like there's far too much damage incoming for us to be doing anything right here.

Have a hunter pet pull them in to the room directly after anub's door(the door that opens when you kill him). We have found that if your quick you can pull all of them in to the room with out getting re spawns and it makes them really easy to separate them out if you pull them in this room. Make sure you have a hunter assigned to each Naxxramas Acolyte to pull them away from each other the rest is just cake.
Posted Image
Richard Needham:
Strong people make as many mistakes as weak people. Difference is that strong people admit their mistakes, laugh at them, learn from them. That is how they become strong.

#4 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

we manage to wipe to pulling an extra group (usually the patrol spiders) about every other week.

but yeah, we have a hunter pull and run out of LOS so they all run up while we sort of haphazardly nuke them down.

#5 Trindade

Trindade

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

We mark up one tank per mob. We go all out dps on the ones that cast shadowbolts. Hunters have their pets out with growl on, and help the tanks on the ones with the knockback. Once the shadowbolt ones are dead dps splits ffa onto the knockback ones. We just heal through all the ae damage at the beginning and kill the mobs quick.

We used to die a bunch, but since adding hunter pets to the above, we will only ever lose 2 people max per pull. At first hunter pets would die a lot, but our healers since adjusted to healing the pets too and now they don't die either.

Edited to note: Make sure the ones casting shadow bolts aren't that close together, or your melee dps will eat arc explosions ontop of the bolt spam.

#6 Largo

Largo

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

When I pull, I mark the acolytes (3-5 shadowbolters). Shoot and run, cheetah'ing to the room that had the Cryptfiends and 5 Spiders.

1 Tank/Mage per Acolyte to counter, and each of them can just about duo any Acolyte by the time everyone else kills the Cultists. When I DPS, I use the stairs and ledges to kite and not get knocked back.

Using that first room requires a bit of speed on the pulls, so you can't slack on killing, rezzing and probably at most 1 wipe.

We take the very last group in GWF's room, but that's chaotic as there's no real "cover" to hide behind.

#7 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

You can interrupt the Shadow Storm and the arcane explosions from the cultists. Key tip right there.

#8 sabashra

sabashra

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

As mentioned above use the room right after Anub. The layout there is perfect. We use a hunter to pull and then run down to the center of the room. Acolytes are peeled by hunters and then tanked in the various corners and alcoves of the upper level. So only the tanks and their healers are getting hit by the damage from a single acolyte at most. Cultists are killed first on the main floor. Then acolytes are killed one by one on the upper level. The difference in elevation and line of sight constraints protect the bulk of the raid from overlapping AoE damage. We rarely have any casualties at all from acolyte/cultist pulls with this arrangement although the occasional double skitterer pull still hurts. Also make sure that the hunter responsible for the pulls goes back to mark the next group as soon as the pull is complete. Chain pulling this way we usually clear all the trash in 18 -25 minutes.

#9 Zalera

Zalera

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:42 PM

Click.

#10 Evalara

Evalara

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:44 PM

I don't know if this is a good method or not, but we do the reverse of what's been posted above. Hunters, one per mob, shoot the Cultists and kite them to the stone room, mages counterspell the Acolytes. We tank and dps the Acolytes in the skitterer hall while the hunters kite the Cultists around the stone room, and when the Acolytes are all down they bring the Cultists back. We found the knockback a much harder problem to death with than shadow volley which is how we ended up at this strategy.

#11 Whitemane

Whitemane

King Hippo

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:01 AM

You can interrupt the Shadow Storm and the arcane explosions from the cultists. Key tip right there.

Said by a shaman, hint hint! Oh well, you're a pally ... *taunt*

That's horde's way of dealing with them, really trivializes it.

#12 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:53 AM

Here's what we do, works very well.

We pull them back to the big square room after the door. The Acolytes are pre-Lucky Charmed, picked up by tanks before entering the room, and tanked behind the corners of the door, out of LOS of the raid waiting in big room. The Cultists are allowed to run freely into the room, where we make short work of them. Once they are down, the tanks drag their Acolytes one-by-one into the door, where each is dispatched with easily and alone. Also, the tanks are all stuffed in groups with Priests and healed with PoH (LoS), making it very simple to keep the Acolytes under control.

Essentially never any deaths.

#13 krucifix85

krucifix85

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:00 AM

All we do (and we are relatively undergeared) is put a symbol on every mob.

Priest + Warlock = Moon
Mages = Square
Hunters + Druid = Triangle.

Those 3 are usually dead or around <25% hp after the initial volley, so the rogues and DPS warrs can finish them off. The others are (hopefully) tanked and DPS'd as per normal. I'm not 100% sure as i usually run far away and cast PoH (dangerous but i haven't had too many issues with getting interrupted (stand far away!) before).

We don't move from the entrance of Faerlina's cave.

Shadow prot your raid.

#14 Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle

Take what ye can;

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:45 AM

Wow, all kinds of different stuff. We can't even kill Faerlina, but the trash we've mastered.

Ramp                               Entrance

Cave
We have all the healers/mages/warlocks at the ramp. 2 tanks at the Entrance who pull and tank 2 Acolytes each. Hunters pull all the Cultists to the Cave (we clear out the 2 itty bitty packs) where all remaining warriors and all the rogues go. Ranged DPSes the Acolytes one at a time (and if there's 5 Acolytes, one goes untanked and is just counterspell-smacked by the mages/shaman) while melee DPSes the Cultists one at a time. The 2 Aco tanks are easy to keep up, and the Ramp group should never take any damage from the Acos as long as they stand far enough back. I mark the next group before we are full mana, then I pull the next set.
/ 人◕ ‿‿ ◕人 \

#15 Guest_Aloxy_*

Guest_Aloxy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:23 AM

Extremely effective and easy solution: Pet pull into the big room, one tank demoshout tanks all acolytes while the raid is positioned far from him. Peel the cultists off the tank and kill them, then kill off the acolytes with ranged damage. This is extremely easy, we never have a single death and every time we manage to pull two packs we take them down aswell without a single death. Maybe we should start to pull two on purpose? Be sure to make fun of your hunters to really force them into pulling as fast as possible:] And we kill fearlina before anything starts to respawn.

#16 Bubba

Bubba

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

We just do every single pack right at the entrance to Faerlina's room. Main camp on the ramp, warriors up against the opposite wall of the cavern. Warriors grab the acolytes and keep them up against the wall so they're OOR of the camp. The raid then just doggypiles the cultists and kills them as quickly as possible. Once the cultists are down, send in the DPS and wipe up the acolytes.

#17 Tel

Tel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:02 AM

We pull them in, split up into groups of 2/3 people and a healer and each take one, its fun and although a bit chaotic, it breaks up a dull spider wing clear.

#18 Fluster

Fluster

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:12 AM

We have our tanks inside the corridor to GWF tanking the Acolytes out of los of the rest of the raid, coupla priest poh spamming through the wall while the rest of the raid run around like monkeys on crack assist training down the cultists. Works well for us :)

#19 Bender

Bender

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

We have all our hunters pull with multishot and aim for the black robed mobs. We run up with cheetah and take all the black with us while the rest of the raid kills the red ones down in the cave just before faerlinas room splitting rogues, mages and warrs so each one of them is getting interrupted. When only 1 or 2 red are left the raidleader calls out a hunter feign and the black ones run back. If our interruption works as it should (most often it does) no one dies and we have never been hit by a respawn in the ass using this method.
I am Bender, please insert girder

#20 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

The room before the mobs is that large for a reason. :)
Spread out, keep the shadowballers away from the raid and just zerg down the rest. "Controlled anarchy", I like that term, it's very appropriate.

Stopped Playing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users