• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Stevens

Stevens

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

I just received my first issue, after nearly two months of waiting. My copy also arrived in a translucent white plastic cover with a mailing label.

PRODUCTION VALUES
Nice, heavy cover and interior stock. I don't recall the folio, but there was good heft in the hand. Metallic spot color used throughout the issue. Printing appeared to be commercial quality.

DESIGN
I understand the decision to put the Lich King on the cover, but at this point, nothing could grab my attention less. The layout flowed okay--a bit hard to read in parts but fine for browsing. Disturbingly graceless fonts look bad enough without the spot color treatment. I suspect that the art director was strongly encouraged to retain the look-and-feel of the game.

EDITORIAL
There's nothing here for the EJ crowd. A primer about using LOS to your advantage in arenas? An interview with Morhaime? How to tank? An advertorial about the trading card game? This is Sports Illustrated for Kids.

There's content that's better written, more timely, community-based, audience specific, and free, online. This magazine does nothing to turn the tide of that trend. It's a custom branding and marketing vehicle.

But it does have nice posters you can tear out and stick on your locker, if you've given up on girls.

#22 Nathanyel

Nathanyel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:16 AM

got this today:

Our gnomes, trolls, and elves are hard at work wrapping up Issue 2, which features a behind-the scenes interview with the team that creates the quests in World of Warcraft, exclusive screenshots of the world after Cataclysm, and an exhaustive guide to Icecrown Citadel. In the meantime, here's a sneak preview of the cover for you to download as a subscriber-exclusive desktop wallpaper. Just click the link below.

http://dl.futureus.c...1024x768_US.jpg
http://dl.futureus.c...280x1024_US.jpg
http://dl.futureus.c...600x1200_US.jpg

Posted Image

Tender Puregrove: It's those little victores that keep me going. We'll save this forest one squirrel at a time.

#23 Tinwhisker

Tinwhisker

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

It never ceases to amaze me just how huge the dragon aspects are when in that form. I have to wonder if Alexstraza sitting there at the Wrathgate gives us some sort of clue as to Deathwing's size.

#24 Vyra

Vyra

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:04 PM

Is that Deathwing on the right? Who is the one on the left?

*edit: Or are they both Neltharion at different stages?

#25 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:36 PM

It's Alexstrasza. Who actually appears to be larger than Deathwing.
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#26 Nakari

Nakari

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

Which would be consistent with the novels, where she is described as the largest of the five aspects.

#27 Tinwhisker

Tinwhisker

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, she is supposed to be bigger, but in this case I think they're about the same size but Deathwings radically shorter snout (which kinda' freaks me out), broken horns and the fact that Alexstrasza is higher up seem to alter the perspective a bit.

#28 Tinwhisker

Tinwhisker

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

I received my next issue of the WoW magazine in the mail today. Some initial thoughts and stats follow.

It's 143 pages long with 3 full-color pullouts of the mural of Deathwing and Alexstraza that was seen at Blizzard HQ; the center is front and back with pencil on one side and full color on the other. At first glance there also appears to be more original artwork than in the first.

Articles include an interview with the design team, commentary on Season 8 by players, and tactics for everything from ICC and WSG to killing all the city leaders (with maps on how to traverse the cities) and 3-manning Molten Core for kills and bindings. They've also included a section on engineering as well as one on raiding addons.

There are sections on Titan lore with respect to past present and furture interactions (including nods to the Masters Glaive in Darkshore) as well as dragon lore.

One article on Plushies and one on the new Figureprint Busts round out the advertising portion. I expected to see something about the steed in here as well but I haven't seen it yet.

#29 Zaniel

Zaniel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

There's also a nice "First Look" article on some of the changes coming to the landscapes and cities in Cata. It's not revealing any secrets, but it is cool to see some more screenshots (and the opening pic of Gadgetzan with a dock is really cool).

I'm fairly impressed by the quality the magazine exudes. The interview with the quest team was well written. The article outlining the dragon lore was familiar (to me) but would prove very educational to the masses, I'm sure. The titans section proved similarly useful. Even the arena article piqued my interest -- and I barely arena.

If they're planning on allowing the magazine to be a lore outlet for the future, I'm not sure I won't be OK with that. The presentations are awesome, and generally it's nice to have such a polished, consolidated product to keep around to consult.

#30 Moonthrower

Moonthrower

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:09 AM

Got my new issue in the mail today! Was excited as hell, as I'd been waiting for a while!

The first article was the interview with the quest design team. It was without a doubt the star article of the magazine. It helps give a sense of knowing who writes your quests, which is something many people take for granted. It was easily my favorite article.
The second best article was the "Resetting the Scene" article, which highlighted the main areas affected by cataclysm, such as Gadgetzan becoming beachfront property. It was immediately preceeded by an article reminding you to take a "last look" at certain areas of Azeroth, if you care about that sort of thing. (i.e. - Last chance to see the original Barrens, Auberdine, 1k Needles, etc.)

Sadly, this was the extent of new, "cutting edge" content in the magazine [to me]. There were in-depth articles about Dragon-Lore, Tactics for Warsong Gulch, your For The <Faction!> achievements, and 3-manning level 60 content. It really seemed like a "placeholder" magazine waiting for more cataclysm content the drop.

THAT BEING SAID, I still enjoyed almost every article in the magazine. It simply cannot be stated how well put together the issues have been. (All two of them. *grins*) The articles are written by everyone. Devs, fans, CEOs, EVERYONE. There is not a doubt whether or not I will renew in two more issues. It's a joy to read, and I STILL can recommended it to people who enjoy reading. However, I cannot recommended it to people looking for an "inside edge" on content. If you're in it just for the cataclysm peaks, or thinking you need the tips for end-game, you'd be wasting your money. The community at Elitist Jerks won't need the insights to the 5-mans, raids, and arenas. However, If you're looking for a magazine that you want to collect, one that peeks at all aspects of WoW, or just want to have it sitting on your bookshelf, stacked in order from issue #1, you're going to love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users