Why do you use "Soul Leech" (13[14 with soul link for hardmodes] / 58), and not the Sim.Craft "imp imp" 18/53 ?
Im quite fond of this issue, which i think EJ has had it wrong with for quite some time. The key to playing a warlock compared to other casters is learning the "Life Tapping".
- Life tap should be done when moving or when the encounter is NOT letting you dps, NOT when standing still and being able to dps.
*Some fights require longer movements --> Theese fights favours Favours "life tap + 18/53" spec (assuming spirit based gear).
* Other fights (Beasts, Mimiron for example) lets you: (A) Life tap to full mana inbetween phases. (
move for 1 GCD every 10-20 (conflagrate used when moving) --> Theese fights favour "immolate/imp + 13/58" spec.
- Demonology and to some extent too Affliction (not "Dark Pact" aff spec) req more focus on mana returns, meaning u "need" to Life Tap once every 15-35 sec (forcing lifetaps while standing still), not to go "oom" in the first few minutes.
- Destruction with "imp. Soul Leech" has ever since a gear lvl of 230+ average (roughly) not required none to very few life taps in most fight (80% plus. Only long fights require soul leech warlocks to use lifetap not to go "oom").
* Using Life Tap glyph implies you should life tap, even when u dont need the mana, to gain 75-180 SP (depending on spirit value you have)
* Soul Leech scales incredible well with intellect. It has come to the point that with full raid buff (sufficient replenishment), destruction warlocks having Soul Leech DONT have to lifetap for several minutes (fights that last roughly 5min or less = no taps).
- This spec revolves around immolate (its the spell with highest priority).
* Glyph of Immolate boosts both immolate and conflagerate with 10% damage (NOT immolate initial damage).
* Theese 2 spells counts for 25-35% of your total damage as destruction, hence a 2.5-3.5% damage boost.
- When running from fire (or similar), your immolate is up and damaging and you can use conflagrate aswell
* Immolate = benefit cloose to 100% from the glyph = 10% more damage on the spell you damage with while moving. (ME: Conflagrate = 12k average damage, Immolate = 12.5k avarage damage. 12 + 12.5*0,73,5(% damage of the dot on immolate = 21,2 * 0,1 = 2,12. Meaning 2120 more damage from immolate glyph.)
* Life tap glyph = Immolate: (75-180)*0.80(cofficient for immolate dot) = 60-144. Conflagrate: (60-144)*0,75(cofficient for conflagrate immolate conversion) = 45-108. adding both = 105 to 252. Add SP taken debuff (13%) 105*1.13 to 252*1.13 = 118,5 to 285 more damage, compared to 2120 on immolate glyph.
* Moving for 3+ GCD's (Conflagrate > Life tap > Corruption > more life taps) = Favours "life tap + 18/53" spec.
* Moving for 1 GCD's (Conflagrate > [Corruption/Lifetap depening on need of mana, normally no need)]) = Favours "immolate/imp + 13/58" spec.
* NOT moving at all or once per minute or less (normal rotation w/o using lifetap) = Favours "immolate/imp + 13/58" spec.
Conclusion: Depening on the amount of movement required in the encounter is what determin the way you should life tap. Certain fights favours "lifetap + NO soul leech" spec , but in the majority of fights "immolate/imp + soul leech" spec is surperior. Less lifetapping helps your healers too, which can be very much needed in certain hardmodes (Anub P3 25man hc is a great example)
ps. wrote this out of the top of my head, so plz correct numerical and possible logical errors.
/Ghorogoth, MoM, Silvermoon