• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

I just finished up my first major add-on project. While I certainly don't have much experience with programming WoW addons, I think the addon has turned out extremely well. I recently started up a raiding guild and we decided to use loot council as our form of distribution. After having a blunder on our second week of raiding, we realized that it would be extremely useful to have a very strong voting interface for the council as a whole. So, I got to work.

The addon itself is pretty simple. When you first load it, you'll be prompted to select a minimum guild rank for participating in the council itself. The guild leader (or, if you're in a raid, raid assistant) simply needs to type /lc start (itemlink) to start considerations for the item.

While the addon certainly isn't the first loot council addon, it does have some unique features. First, it allows you to quickly see what people will be upgrading. In the loot council I run, size of upgrade is a very important factor for us in loot decisions. You can mouse over any itemlink in the addon to see the stats of it. Second, the addon allows you to quickly see how the council has voted. You can simply mouse over a player's name or select a player's row and it'll show you the votes.

The most important thing to me when tweeking the addon for a larger distribution was that it was secure - members couldn't probe for votes or submit unfair votes. Now that I've accomplished that, I'm looking to broaden the user base and get feedback for future iterations.

My secondary goal was to make it customizable for any loot council. I wanted to make it so that the add-on fit with the loot councils, and not the other way around. You can make it so that officers only get a single vote, or they can have multiple votes. You can enable or restrict officers from voting on themselves. You can have all votes be private or public. You can have people whisper "main spec" or "off spec," or you can choose to ignore it. Whatever your loot council does, this add-on is made to fit.

Later, I'll be posting a "full" version (just LootCouncil, without the Lite) that ideally broadens the suite out a lot more. The full version would almost become a massive raid tracking tool - tracking attendance, previous item loots, etc. Ideally, it would also have some companion script for data import and export. If you have any other major features that you think should be included, then please let me know!

WoWInterface: Download
Curse: Download

Posted Image

#2 Cosa

Cosa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

I like it very much. Our guild uses Loot Council as a system and will definatly give it a try.

Few comments/wish list:
1) iLvL can be in brackets next to the item, no need for separate column.
2) New option, very important for my decision if I am going to give item to some player: "Times killed this boss" next to each person name. (Can be taken from statistics)
3) New option "Epic items awarded in last week"
4) New option "Epic items awarded in last month"

Thumbs up.

#3 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

1) iLvL can be in brackets next to the item, no need for separate column.

I'll look into this. It's a pretty easy fix for aesthetics and I've been focused a lot on functionality up until now.

2) New option, very important for my decision if I am going to give item to some player: "Times killed this boss" next to each person name. (Can be taken from statistics)

Good idea. Somewhat the problem is asking "which boss?", but I could program that in for individual bosses. In fact, that'd probably be a relatively easy thing to input.

3) New option "Epic items awarded in last week"
4) New option "Epic items awarded in last month"

Both of these are going to be included in the Full version. Ideally it would track even more factors than that, such as attendance or boss progress. If you want to see a preview of the full version, you can go here: http://img29.imagesh...514/test2ir.jpg

#4 Cosa

Cosa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:46 AM

Oh, and forgot one more thing. next to "raider name" should be "rank", since many guilds like we do, have several entry raider, standard raider, advance raider ranks, that is one more thing that would help, for 75% of times you know your people but sometime is just easier to have it there.

#5 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

One thing: ilevel needn't always indicate how powerful (or not) an item is for someone.

Trinkets in particular tend to be problematic. E.g., if that person is hit-capped, the ilevel 245 trinkets are largely worthless while the ilevel 200 Darkmoon Card may well be close to best in slot.
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#6 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:23 PM

One thing: ilevel needn't always indicate how powerful (or not) an item is for someone.

I completely agree that itemlevel isn't a way to show how "good" an item is. Another example for me personally is Illustration of the Dragon Soul. Even after a year, it's still an awesome trinket.

I agree that it probably doesn't need it's own column. I'll work on that.

#7 Oontsoonts

Oontsoonts

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

My guild uses LC, however we prefer having members link their current items in raid chat as opposed to a whisper. Often times this gets people to withdraw their request when they themselves can see that someone desperately needs an upgrade and saves us time.

That being said, my only request is for an option to allow the addon to work with items linked in raid chat once the start command is entered. Is this something we might see in the full version?

#8 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

That being said, my only request is for an option to allow the addon to work with items linked in raid chat once the start command is entered. Is this something we might see in the full version?

I'll work on integrating this into the Lite version. Probably going to put an update in 2-3 days.

#9 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

Just released a pretty massive update. Here are the changes:

- You can now link multiple items for the trinket, ring, and weapon slots. Mouse overs will work for these multiple items.

- Added new options window. The window can be brought up by typing /lc config

- Added more ways for people to link their current item (raid chat, guild chat). These can be enabled (or disabled) through the options window

- Rearranged GUI to remove itemlevel column and place it in parentheses next to the item link.

- Added "guild rank" column to the listing.

- Added "one vote restriction" to options and voting process, giving one vote per council member. When enabled, each council member will be restricted to 1 for vote. The against button will be hidden. Note that only the initiator needs to have this checked to enforce the restriction.

- Added /lc add (name) (itemlink) functionality to manually add someone to consideration.

- Added a "remove from consideration" button. The button will only be visible to the initiator.

- Added a private voting option. When enabled, all votes will be private. You can still see how many votes each individual has, but you aren't able to see who votes for who. (i.e. I can see that player A has 2 votes, but I can't see it was CouncilmenB and CouncilmenC that voted for him). Note that only the initiator needs to have this checked to conceal all votes among all members.

- Made the "Total Votes" column a bit easier to read.

Just released another version:
v1.005:
- Spec detection is now implemented. To display the "Spec" column and detect key words "main", "off", or "special", enable it in the /lc config window.
- Fixed a security hole in the private voting option. Votes are now private.
- Added a checkbox to prevent officers from voting on themselves. There are multiple levels of security to ensure this.
- Added the ability to sort columns. Columns are sorted as follows. The ascending/descending order is switchable by clicking the column again.
- - - Name (alphabetically)
- - - Item (Largest upgrade - lowest item level gets put at the top)
- - - Guild Rank (highest guild rank at the top)
- - - Spec (S > M > O > - )
- - - Total Votes (Highest +/- ratio at the top)
- - - Your Vote (For > None > Against)

#10 Lyxx

Lyxx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:11 AM

Something else I can see that would be really useful is to add in a way to track a persons raid attendance, for example if your guild raids 5 nights a week and you expect at least 80% attendance then maybe you could add in a percentage of attendance over the last month next to the person's name possibly.

#11 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Something else I can see that would be really useful is to add in a way to track a persons raid attendance, for example if your guild raids 5 nights a week and you expect at least 80% attendance then maybe you could add in a percentage of attendance over the last month next to the person's name possibly.

Yes, that's something I want to include in the full version.

#12 Oontsoonts

Oontsoonts

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

Something I just noticed tonight, there seems to be a limit on the number of people allowed to see the loot. 3 for 10m, 5 for 25m, is this correct?

Also something we noticed tonight-- we ran two 10 mans instead of a 25 and when I initiated a LC session an officer who wasn't in our raid was in on the LC window while an officer in our group was not included. Just wanted to report that for you :)

As a request, is there any possibility that we can set the mod to include specific people instead of going by ranks?

All-in-all it's a fantastic mod and we're all pretty impressed with it-- it's definitely made our job that much easier! Just wanted to come and leave some feedback after we've gotten the chance to use it for a bit.

#13 Sitar

Sitar

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the addon, tested it yesterday and it's ok.

I ran into two problems:

- I play in french but the addon does not recognize when someone whispers me an item in english. I have to manually add it to the list.
- Could you add a button for the master loot to send the item to the person?

Can you please put in a separate file the messages so we can do a traduction?

Thanks

edit: please add a scaling option, the default windows is way too big

#14 Calen

Calen

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

<snip>
As a request, is there any possibility that we can set the mod to include specific people instead of going by ranks?

I'm not certain how other non-guild raids do their loot council, but we have a channel in which we sort it out. Oontsoonts request of including specific people would work for us too, but all members of a given channel might possibly be a useful option as well?

Looking forward to speeding up the loot process with this; thanks for the work!

#15 Reeshet

Reeshet

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

View Post

Yes, that's something I want to include in the full version.

If you had a built in way to track attendance I would download this immediately and use it for every raid.

#16 Imbrium

Imbrium

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

It would be nice to include some sort of feature that displayed the specific stat differences between the raiders current piece and the piece being distributed (something akin to what shift-mouseover on a piece of gear does in the default Blizzard UI).

#17 Lunya

Lunya

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

is it possible to make the addon independent from the diffrent client languages?
If somebody in the raid links an item from a client with a diffrent language, than the item isn't added automatically.
With the english client everything works perfect.

#18 Guest_Alucious_*

Guest_Alucious_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:08 AM

Do you plan to include functionality to choose who is on your loot council?

I run a 25man that includes a few 10-man guilds best players, and it would be nice if I could select by hand, or by a chat channel.

#19 Charsi

Charsi

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:23 PM

Can you allow for customization of keywords in the spec detection column in the lite version? We use four tiers of interest: high med low offspec, with the first three all implicitly being main spec.

#20 Blacksen

Blacksen

Executor

•  Patrons
  • 1344 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

Finally got back to the drawing board here after finishing school. Just released a fairly major update that fixed one annoying LUA error that happened for new ICC content. Also made the window more compact and now scaleable through the options menu.

@Alucious - This is something that I really want to include and am woring on.

@Lunya - Localization is something I really want to include, but am lacking experience on. I'll look into this.

@Imbrium - I agree that this would be really useful, but it's somewhat challenging for display. Do you have any recommendations on where exactly to display that information?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users