Photo

Next Gen MMORPG Guild Features - What do you want?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#121 Whitemane

Whitemane

King Hippo

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

So you think they'd be stupid enough to host TS/VT on the same servers as the realms?

Yes. The forum auth server seems to be the same as the main auth server. I see no reason to believe they'd be smart enough to move TS/VT to a different server if they didn't even think to themselves "Hey, maybe loading down authentication to core game services with non-core forum access is a REALLY BAD IDEA".

The auth servers work fine most of the time, I've never really had any more problems with them over the game servers themselves. They're slightly slow at times, but what the hell. Splitting them up also provides some issues as you'd have to have two servers basically doing the exact same job, but unable to help each other out at all.

At the moment if there's a run on the game servers, the portion appointed to logging in users on the forums is helping out as well. The only fault on their part is they were idiots on structuring their hosting properly or miscalculating the power to handle both. Who knows, maybe their miscalculation was on the game-servers and not the forums? Then their setup actually helped. It's difficult to tell.

#122 Rosalyn

Rosalyn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

These are things I would like to see myself:

User Interface changes
Calendar - Raid and group events interface which covers at least 3 months (curent,past/future) and includes:-
1/ Separate event types - Raid/Instance/PvP/Personal/Private ect.
2/ Sign up features for raid events which allows people to indicate availablity.
3/ A good sized 'notes' section for the raid for instructions.
4/ Private events are only shown on the owners calendar.
(Note: The ability to limit the creation of guild events needs included in the guildleaders function for guildranks)
----> A calendar feature would be useful for both casual and raiding guilds and well implemented I can see it being used extensively.

Address book - Guild interface needs to be expanded this could be done in a number of ways but the ability to add notes is needed. Things I would like to see:
1/ Guild listing done via accounts, a main would be designated (guildleader function on which guildranks able to do this). All other characters would be linked the main. Online fuction shows the current character.
2/ Ability to go to a character sheet which details their tradeskills and allows for input of notes (guildleader fuction as to which guildrank can edit these).

Raid/group function -
1/ Ability to sent main tanks and targets target added to the UI
2/ Raid function which allows custom logging of information. Including allowing the user to datamine some raidinfo that blizzard already has in storage. This fuction would include ability to select time of raidformation/joining/leaving/loot dropped (selectable as to which level of loot, all vs only purple drops ect)/time of boss death ect. The ability to dump this information to a special file or browse it online.

Guild changes
I really liked some of the suggestions on how to make being part of a guild more than just a chat channel (inso far as online game is concerned). Things I'd like to see included:-

Guildhousing - Various levels available with different guild ranks/objectives to upgrade them. These could be instanced. Each type guild house in a major town could have a NPC which allows you to enter your guild's house which would be the same shape as the building the NPC was in but customised to your guilds needs.

Guild bank - possibly accessiable via your guildhouse. Permission for adding/withdrawing form guild bank settable by the guildleader.

Guild trainer - again possibly accessiable via your guildhouse, special raid drops which are 'guild only' reciepes and are able to be given to the guild trainer. These reciepes can be trained into a special section of your reciepe book. Leave the guild and all 'guild reciepes' are lost. This fuction could be tied to the guild itself not the leader.

These would all have consquences if a guild splits however, as the people that keep the guild name keep the house/bank/trainer.

#123 Shakkha

Shakkha

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

I'd love to see most of these idea put in.

Especially the Guild Hall, the guild crafters, and also the trophy room from Daos is great.

I also think a voice support should be implemented, as well as more advance loot system like a customisable DKP system, and a automated website/forum support. Of course these could well be options to be paid.

To the people here, complaining that they prefer their freedom, those wouldn't be mandatory, just because there is an ingame voice function doesn't mean you can't use TS or Vent, just like just because there is a in-game DKP system doesn't mean you have to use it, you can still use whatever you want, it's just one more option, to falicitate guild life.

#124 Eurusd

Eurusd

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:18 AM

i wanna choose

*guildhousing/rep/bank(but this apply to wow mainly, eve is god for these)

*simple XML extract from IG informations: Roster(with full informations)

for everythinh else, you should be free, as or loot system is something like /random-attendance-Homogeneity, as we use one system for calendar, another else for forum, etc etc, the only one and main difficulty is to say to guildies: "hey, get the roster updated"

As the modding community is doing some mervellous works for IG interfaces, several months after a release like this you should see appearing some RDX-php or major mods like this

May you pay for a full sevice for your guild? website, DKP-Raid system, TS/Vent included, image-video hosting, raid recap hosting?

#125 kharen

kharen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

As far as DKP/raid attendance/guild management is concerned, the ideal solution i think would be to:

1) add a built-in raid tracker - it doesn't need to do anything fancy, just record joins/leaves/boss kills/loot. Keep the data server-side (might have to limit the lifetime of it, though, to keep the storage required down).

2) provide a web-services interface to the raid-tracker records, and guild rosters (and possibly some limited, bare-bones way of viewing the data).

Leave everything else up to us, as there's no way any built-in system would be able to come close to pleasing a majority of players. Just provide the information, and let us access it and use it as we see fit. If anything like guild banks, calendars, etc are added, make sure the data about contents/events/whatever are available as well. With all of this, they'd probably want to set it up to require a login, with permissions on viewing stuff like guild banks or rosters settable via the in-game guild interface (raid info should probably just be accessible to any account which was on the raid, as it wouldn't be anything you couldn't log via in-game means anyway).

#126 henaki

henaki

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, a UI change that allows you to dump Items, Characters, Times, and various other small little things like Tradeskills into a file would be extremely useful. Simply the ability to put 40 names, a time, 2 items and 2 more character names in one quick deal would make leading raids that much easier. The ability to load up those variables would make it even better.
Gur - Level 64 Undead Warlock on Hellfire

#127 enshula

enshula

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

Right now doing that requires a logout and writing to a saved variables file for an addon. Then editing the saved variables file while not in game to update it. A similar thing with combat logging. Would be nice to at least have an option to force a write of that type of stuff, maybe /console reload ui already does that, i dont think ive checked.

#128 Kalman

Kalman

Super Macho Man

• Members
  • 8791 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

Right now doing that requires a logout and writing to a saved variables file for an addon. Then editing the saved variables file while not in game to update it. A similar thing with combat logging. Would be nice to at least have an option to force a write of that type of stuff, maybe /console reload ui already does that, i dont think ive checked.

UI reloads do force saved variable writes.
Melador> Incidentally, these last few pages are why people hate lawyers.
Viator> I really don't want to go all Kalman here.
Bury> Just imagine what the world would be like if you used your powers for good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users