Photo

Druid: Simple Questions/Simple Answers -- Now with FAQ!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
112 replies to this topic

#1 Boethius

Boethius

THE DON

• ♦ Administrators
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:23 AM

Welcome to the Druid Simple Questions thread. This thread is for all your simple questions which you expect to have simple answers and thus do not require their own thread.

Note that all forum rules still apply: we said simple questions, not stupid questions (which have no place on these forums). You're still expected to make a reasonable effort to find the answer yourself by searching and reading the threads and making use of spreadsheets and any other tools that may be available. If, however, you're fairly confident that your question is not easily answered with available information, but don't think it will generate sufficient discussion to require it's own thread, this is the place to ask.

#2 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

This post is a list of quick instructions intended for people who need the very basics of any Druid role summarized. The idea is that you can read this and then be confident that you're generally in the ballpark as far as playing correctly. When you have time, you should go to the more detailed post for your spec to start getting a more complete understanding of what's going on.

Restoration

Q: What spec should I use?
A: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft or a close variation is typical.

Q: Why Revitalize?
A: It returns thousands of mana to your raid over the course of a fight--potentially more mana than you actually provide with Innervate. Not to mention the Rage/Energy/Runic Power that directly add some raid DPS.

Q: Why Celestial Focus?
A: Except at very high gear levels, you probably don't have enough haste to drop Celestial Focus and still reach the haste cap.

Q: What Glyphs?
A: Use Wild Growth and Swiftmend. If you understand Rapid Rejuvenation and are at a boss fight where it's helpful, use that for your third. Otherwise take your pick of Regrowth, Rejuvenation, or Innervate, and you won't be wrong.

Q: What are my stat priorities?
A: You want 735 haste to hit the minimum global cooldown of 1 second. Beyond that, stack as much spellpower as possible. If you have the choice of multiple pieces with both spellpower and haste, Spirit is the best third option.

Q: Why so much haste?
A: We spend most of our time casting instants, and haste reduces the global cooldown to a minimum of 1s. Having more haste lets you cast heals more often and have HoT's ticking on more people at once.

Q: What Idol?
A: Flaring Growth or Black Willow.

Q: How do I heal?
A: Start by learning to cover a raid with Rejuvenation, filling in Wild Growth to help respond to damage. Then, add in Regrowth and Lifebloom on tanks in spare time, and Swiftmend to help anyone in the raid who needs a quick heal.

Q: What about casting direct heals on people?
A: It's an important option to keep in mind, but if your raid healing team is set up correctly, you'll spend much more time casting HoT's. Remember, the more HoT's you have around the raid, the less often people get into a situation where they need a direct heal in the first place. If want to top off someone in the raid more quickly, Regrowth is a good spell.

Q: What does "5x1" mean?
A: 5x1 refers to a rotation in which you cast Wild Growth (the 1), cast 5 Rejuvenations on raid members while it cools down, and repeat. In high raid damage situations, you will tend towards this spell usage or something similar to it.

Q: How can I avoid running out of mana?
A: Don't roll Lifebloom, and don't overuse Regrowth on the raid instead of Rejuvenation. Use a mana potion, use one or two trinkets with MP5 procs, or ask for a Mana Tide group.

Q: I've been assigned to heal a tank. What do I do?
A: Glyph Nourish. Make sure you have Empowered Touch (and Living Seed would also be nice). Keep Regrowth and Rejuvenation on the tank, periodically cast Lifebloom (but don't roll it), and spam Nourish in between. Use Swiftmend whenever he hangs at low HP. This isn't a great role for us, but you can get by if the damage isn't too high.

Q: Where can I get more detailed information?
A: Start here: http://elitistjerks....ral_discussion/

Balance

A: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft or a close variation.

Q: What about (Owlkin Frenzy/Genesis/Brambles)?
A: These all provide much less DPS than Improved Insect Swarm and Celestial Focus. You might put filler points in these if you don't need, say, Gale Winds, but they're not very good.

Q: What Glyphs?
A: Moonfire, Starfire, and Starfall. You can swap in Insect Swarm for Starfall for slightly more DPS in situations where the 3% hit debuff is unimportant. In AoE situations, use Typhoon (Minor) as well.

Q: What's the spell rotation?
A: Keep Insect Swarm and Moonfire on the target. Cast Wrath until Eclipse procs, then switch to Starfire. Continue casting Starfire after Eclipse ends, until the opposite Eclipse procs, then switch back to Wrath. Repeat while keeping the DoT's up. Use Force of Nature and Starfall on cooldown.

Q: What about when I have to move a lot?
A: Try your best to cast your DoT's while moving and your nukes while standing. If you know you're going to have to move soon, don't refresh DoT's, because you'll just overwrite them when you move.

Q: What are my stat priorities?
A: Hit (to 263 rating (237 with a Draenei)), Haste to 401 rating. After that, Spellpower > Crit > Haste > Spirit > Intellect.

Q: What Idol?
A: Lunar Eclipse or Lunar Fury.

Q: What should I enchant on my weapon?
A: Spellpower. Black Magic isn't as good.

Q: Should I keep Faerie Fire on the target?
A: If you have both a Feral Druid applying their FF and a Shadow Priest in your raid, you don't need it. Otherwise, always keep the target debuffed.

Q: I cast a whole bunch of Wraths and Eclipse didn't proc.
A: That's not a question.

Q: Fine. Should I replace spellpower with crit and/or gem for crit to fix this?
A: No.

Q: But it's really annoying when that happens!
A: It is. Deal with it.

Q: I did all this and my DPS is still bad.
A: Make sure you pay attention to timing your spells so you don't waste time in between casts. Read the full guide (linked below). Realize that, given equal skill across your raid, the Moonkin can expect to be at or near the bottom of the DPS chart. But if you practice and use the information here, you can advance your spot on the DPS meters in all but the most elite raid groups.

Q: How do I justify my raid spot to my raid leader then?
A: You provide a number of important raid buffs. Unless the group has a Shadow Priest, Elemental Shaman, Unholy Death Knight, and Retribution Paladin, the Moonkin provides some unique DPS buff, in addition to the -3% hit Insect Swarm debuff on the boss. We're actually very efficient to include in a raid composition for that reason.

Q: Where do I go from here?
A: Here's the full guide, which should answer your further questions:
http://elitistjerks....oonkin_pve_dps/

#3 Odas

Odas

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:11 PM

Feral Cat

A: This is a starting cat spec.

Q: What about other talents?
A: Improved Leader of the Pack can provide marginal raid healing if no other feral does not already have it. Nurturing instinct can also help out on healing intensive fights. Feral Aggression does provide a minor single target dps boost but only if you have mastered the cat rotation enough to include ferocious bite. One point can be removed from Furor and points can be removed from either Improved Leader of the Pack or Feral Instinct as necessary.

Q: What is the cat rotation?
A: Cats use a priority list. Simplistically: Savage Roar>Mangle>Rip>Rake>Shred. Optimally you should be looking towards 95%+ uptime on savage roar and 85%+ uptime on both rake and rip on non-movement fights. Don't be afraid to pool energy. Use shred more to prevent energy overflow instead of using it as soon as possible.

Q: How many combo points should I use on Rip and Savage Roar?
A: Rip should always use 5 combo points. Savage Roar should be used as soon as possible if it is no already on even if you are not at 5 combo points yet.

Q: What about Ferocious Bite?
A: While proper use of Ferocious Bite will increase your dps, improper use will ruin it. If you're reading this FAQ you would probably be best off not using it at all.

Q: How does clearcasting change things?
A: It doesn't really. Follow the same rotation you normally do. If all your buffs and debuffs are already up you can shred, but don't use clearcasting as an excuse to let buffs and debuffs fall off. Also note that Savage Roar does not consume clearcasting.

Q: When should I use swipe?
A: If you are fighting at least three mobs and it doesn't matter which dies first. Or when you have two mobs the target won't survive for the duration of a rip. Use Mangle to maintain Savage Roar unless mangle is already on the target, in which case you should use Rake.

Q: When should I use Tiger's Fury and Berserk?
A: Tiger's fury should only be used when you are below 40 energy and Berserk should be used when you have closer to 80 energy. Do not use Berserk over 90 energy as you will overflow on energy before the global cooldown is finished. Other than that they should be used as soon as possible unless a fight has a burn phase.

Q: Should I start fights with Ravage or Pounce?
A: No. Mangle first, or rake if mangle is already applied.

Q: I think I am doing everything right but I still get low dps and uptimes on the target dummy. Whats wrong?
A: Cats revolve around having a high crit chance to maintain their rotation. If you are unbuffed it will be harder to generate the necessary combo points. Practicing on the target dummy is still worthwhile though.

Q: What stats should I use?
A: At low gear levels and without a trinket that procs armor pen (ArP), agility (Agi) is highest. With an ArP trinket it is usually best to get soft ArP capped (when the trinket procs you should be as close to 1400 ArP as possible). With enough ArP and no ArP trinket, it becomes best to aim for the hard ArP cap (1400 ArP passively). Hit and expertise are usually not needed to be capped, although they do help make the rotation easier. At high levels of gear (ilevel 264+) it is important to be hit and expertise capped due to the crit cap.

Q: What glyphs should I use?
A: Shred, rip and Savage Roar. No, Glyph of Berserk is not better even with 2t10.

Q: What professions should I use?
A: Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting are the best professions for cats. Alchemy provides the next best benefit. Engineering is arguably better than Alchemy as it provides not only Hyperspeed Accelerators and Frag Belts but it also gives you the extra movement from Nitro Boots. Tailoring is the next best. Leatherworking, Inscription, Enchanting tie for last place.

Q: What meta gem should I use?
A: . Use for your blue gem.

Q: When should I use cower?
A: Never. Cower reduces threat by a static amount (it doesn't scale with gear).

Q: What Idol should I use?
A: is slightly better than but it has a ramp up time and may be inferior for fights that involve a lot of target switching. is worse than both and will not proc if you are not mangling. is better than at low ArP but passes it slightly at higher ArP.

Q: How good are the tier set bonuses?
A: Calculations done according to this profile with Rawr v2.3.5. Actual dps values will vary according to your gear but the relative ordering should remain the same.

2t7: 94.31 dps
4t7: 60.01 dps
2t8: 175.09 dps
4t8: 74.59 dps
2t9: 161.50 dps
4t9: 82.54 dps
2t10: 113.69 dps
4t10: 670.84 dps

Q: Where can I go for more information?
A: Cat DPS Guide for Dummies
Gear and rotation
Feral druid video Guide
Rotation
Toskk's DPS Gear Methodology
Rawr
Team Robot Simulator
Feral DPS Guide

Feral Bear

A: This is the standard spec. If no one else is applying a full attack power debuff, you may want to go with this

Q: What is the best single target threat rotation?
A: Mangle when off cooldown, Faerie Fire when off cooldown, maintain a 5 stack of Lacerate, Swipe otherwise. Maul should be use always because it does not trigger the global cooldown.

Q: Wait, did you say Faerie Fire?
A: Yes, it is more threat than swipe or lacerate on single target.

Q: What about with 2t10?
A: Still the same rotation.

Q: What about AoE threat?
A: If you have more than two targets, just use swipe and maul.

Q: How important is Demoralizing Roar?
A: Very. If you do not have another tank applying this debuff it is important that you keep it up as much as possible. Periodically replace a swipe in your rotation with Demo Roar.

Q: How should I use cooldowns?
A: Both Barkskin and Survival Instincts are off the global cooldown and Barkskin may be used while stunned. Frenzied Regen is on the global cooldown. Frenzied Regen will heal based on the current maximum health and is increased by Survival Instincts.

Q: What glyphs should I use?
A: and are the typical three to use, although is very important for some fights and can be swapped with the maul or frenzied regen glyph.

Q: How does taunt work?
A: Growl sets you at the threat level of the highest player on the threat list as long as you are not holding aggro already. Even if someone passes you in threat if you are still holding aggro taunt will do nothing. Challenging Roar is an AoE fixate. You will have aggro for the duration of the spell, but does not modify your threat at all. It is possible to growl a target while Challenging Roar is active to change your threat. Growl is treated as a spell for purposes of missing, so even when hit capped you may need to ensure no misses.

Q: What weapon enchant should I use?
A: Mongoose.

Q: What stats should I use?
A: Stamina is generally considered the most important stat although the value of agility/stam gems is arguable at higher gear levels for socket bonuses. Armor is usually highly undervalued. Expertise is king for threat, followed by hit, then haste. Attack power and crit are very bad for increasing the effectiveness of Savage Defense.

Q: What meta gem should I use?
A: .

Q: What professions should I use?
A: Leatherworking will provide you with the most stamina and the option of resist enchants. Jewelcrafting ties with Leatherworking for stamina gained and also provides flexibility for cat. Blacksmithing and enchanting tie for the next most stamina. While Alchemy does not provide as much health as Blacksmithing or Enchanting, the ability to gain extra resistances is very useful on some encounters. Inscription provides dodge rating instead of stamina and you lose the opportunity to use . Engineering provides minor stat benefits, but gives you an extra sprint which is quite useful in specific scenarios.

Q: Why ?
A: Movement speed is better than the marginal gain in stats.

Q: What idol should I use?
A: > > . Corruptor makes up what it lacks in avoidance with armor and uptime. Note that on fights that involve target switches, Crying Moon has a ramp up time and could be inferior.

Q: Are pvp pieces viable to tank with?
A: Oftentimes yes, although you will have lower threat and they will likely be replaced by pve pieces.

Q: Where can I go for more information?
A: Tanking Discussion
Feral druid video Guide
Rawr: Gear Comparison Tool

Comments and suggestions are always of course welcome.

1/20/10: I added a few questions at the suggestion of others.
Modified the tier bonus question.
Updated professions.

1/21/10: Added the clearcasting question.

#4 Melthu

Melthu

Confused

• Moderators
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

I'll take a stab at the feral FAQ, feedback is welcome.

Feral DPS

A: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft or some close variation.

Q: What situational talents should I keep in mind, and what talents can I drop to pick them up?
A: Based on the fight and your raid comp you may find it beneficial to pick up Feral Aggression, Nurturing Instinct, or Infected Wounds. You can drop Survival Instinct, Improved Leader of the Pack, Improved Mangle, Feral Swiftness, or Natural/Master Shapeshifter, again depending on the fight and what classes are in your raid.

Q: How about glyphs?
A: Rip, Shred, Savage Roar. Glyph of Mangle is uncompetitive, and while there is discussion on Berserk it has not been shown to be superior to the first 3.

Q: How do I dps?
A: In order, you want to keep up Savage Roar, Mangle, Rake, and a 5 combo point Rip. Use Shred whenever Savage Roar, Mangle, and Rake are up in order to build combo points. You can either perform your rotation as normal when you get an Omen of Clarity proc or always use it to Shred - the difference in dps is minimal.

Q: What about Ferocious Bite?
A: While proper use of Ferocious Bite will increase your dps, improper use will ruin it. If you're reading this FAQ you would probably be best off not using it at all.

Q: What cooldowns do I need to keep track of?
A: You want to use Tiger's Fury as soon as possible after it's cooldown is up as long as it doesn't take you over 100 energy. You want to use Berserk as many times in the fight as possible, but you also want to line it up with any burn phases in a fight. Note that there is no particular reason to line it up with Heroism/Bloodlust as they do not benefit each other.

Q: Holy crap, that's a lot of information to keep track of. I have to look at my buffs for Savage Roar, my target's debuffs for Mangle, Rake, and Rip, my action bars for cooldowns...
A: The stock UI sucks. Find some addons to help organize your screen. In particular, look for a buff/debuff tracker like ClassTimers, DoTimer, Elkano's Buff Bars, or my favorite, RoguePowerBars.

Q: What's my best stat?
A: You can never go wrong with Agility.

Q: I've heard great things about Armor Penetration, what about that?
A: Armor Penetration is very good under the right circumstances. If you have a trinket that procs Armor Pen (meaning , , or ) you want enough Armor Pen to reach 1400 rating when your trinket proc is up. If you don't have one of these trinkets it won't really be worth gearing for until you can reach about 1100 rating. Again, your goal will be 1400 rating.

Q: How about stats after those?
A: The ordering of Hit, Expertise, Haste, and Crit will vary depending on what the rest of your gear is. Use Rawr (http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t21713-rawr_v2_3_6_released_1_18_a/) to help you make your decisions. Straight Attack Power is never competitive with these. Note that the hit cap is 263 rating and the expertise cap is 131 rating (assuming you have Primal Precision).

Q: Anything else I should look for?
A: 2T8, 2T9, and 4T10 are all good set bonuses, 4T10 in particular. Use or

Q: I don't like your FAQ, where can I get more information?
A: http://elitistjerks...._guide_dummies/

Feral Tanking

A: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft or some close variation.

Q: What talents can I afford to drop?
A: If someone else can put up an AP debuff you can drop Feral Aggression, and if someone else can cover 20% melee attack speed slow you can drop Infected Wounds. Improved Mangle, Improved Leader of the Pack, and Omen of Clarity are also not needed.

Q: What talents should I think about picking up?
A: Feral Instinct can help with threat, especially for AoE. Natural/Master Shapeshifter and King of the Jungle (with 4T10) also help with threat. Brutal Impact can also be useful for certain fights.

Q: Is there any flexibility with glyphs?
A: Pick 3 out of Frenzied Regeneration, Survival Instincts, Maul, and Growl based on your needs. Berserk can also be useful is maximum threat is absolutely necessary.

Q: What's my threat rotation?
A: Maul is by far your largest source of threat, so keep it queued up as much as possible. After that keep Mangle and Feral Faerie Fire on cooldown, keep a 5 stack of Lacerate running, and spend any leftover GCD's on Swipe, even against a single target. Use Berserk for burst threat.

Q: What are my best survival stats?
A: Armor and Stamina. For leather gear this generally means going for the highest item level possible. In other slots, tanking pieces with bonus armor are good. Once you get a minimum level of health to survive you can go for either Agility or more Stamina. Due to our amazing scaling with Stamina and harsh diminishing returns at high levels of dodge my personal recommendation is to go for pure Stamina.

Q: How about for threat?
A: Below 131 rating, Expertise will blow everything away. After that your best stats will still be Hit and Expertise up to their respective caps (263 for Hit, and Expertise is basically unobtainable). Below those sit Haste and Armor Penetration.

Q: Your FAQ sucks, where can I get more in-depth information?
A: http://elitistjerks....ing_discussion/

Edit: Whoops, look like one's already been started. Should be easy enough to just merge the non-overlapping parts.

#5 Talanik

Talanik

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

When trying to analyze my own WWS reports, as a cat druid, to see what I need to improve on and whatnot, what are some of the things I want to look out for? How do I figure out the exact uptimes on my buffs/debuffs, and what (rough estimate) uptimes should I be aiming for on a straight fight such as Festergut or Saurfang, compared to one with lots of adds/movement such as Lich King/Lady Deathwhisper?

#6 Jone

Jone

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

When trying to analyze my own WWS reports, as a cat druid, to see what I need to improve on and whatnot, what are some of the things I want to look out for? How do I figure out the exact uptimes on my buffs/debuffs, and what (rough estimate) uptimes should I be aiming for on a straight fight such as Festergut or Saurfang, compared to one with lots of adds/movement such as Lich King/Lady Deathwhisper?

I would recommend WoL for their excellent graphic display of buff uptimes versus instant DPS lines. SR should be 100% uptime if you're on the boss full time. Below that, it gets tricky: rip would ideally be 97% uptime, but it's worth sacrificing 4 seconds of rip to get off a 5 point FB, rake should be 97% uptime with 4T10, but 0% without it, and all of this is just on a straight patchwerk fight like Saurfang, not on adds like Valatheria's. My personal strategy is to pick individual parses of high DPS ferals whose guilds kill things about as quickly as mine. Once I've done that, I can start comparing what they're doing to what I'm doing and see if I can pick out where they're getting it right.

#7 Talanik

Talanik

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

Rake should be 97% uptime with 4T10, but 0% without it

What? I think you're a bit mixed up there. Irregardless of 4T10, Rake is still an integral part of your DPS and has been since 3.0.

#8 Bonemage

Bonemage

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

What? I think you're a bit mixed up there. Irregardless of 4T10, Rake is still an integral part of your DPS and has been since 3.0.

False! He may have over simplified but in most cases in mostly iLevel 264 gear, without 2T9 and without 4T10, shred offers better dpe than rake. That being said, if you do not have 4T10, 2T9 is worth keeping the two lower iLevel pieces of gear over 264 offset pieces until you can get 4T10. As always your mileage may vary depending on your full kit and its best to use a simulator, rawr or toskk's to see what is best for you.

#9 grutak

grutak

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

False! He may have over simplified but in most cases in mostly iLevel 264 gear, without 2T9 and without 4T10, shred offers better dpe than rake. That being said, if you do not have 4T10, 2T9 is worth keeping the two lower iLevel pieces of gear over 264 offset pieces until you can get 4T10. As always your mileage may vary depending on your full kit and its best to use a simulator, rawr or toskk's to see what is best for you.

According to Rawr, with the gear I'm logged out in(minus the t10 4pc bonus, swapped in Cultist's Sholders), DPE of rake is 255. DPE of shred is 230. Even swapping in full 264 gear(since i'm mostly 251) the DPE of rake is 275 vs 264 of shred.

Shred DPE only starts to take over rake once you start nearing the ArP hard, about 1050.

So yes, he over simplified it, but its not false. Depending on your gear, you could leave out rake. However, 4pc T10 is a much bigger upgrade than not having it with similar gear.

#10 Bonemage

Bonemage

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

According to Rawr, with the gear I'm logged out in(minus the t10 4pc bonus, swapped in Cultist's Sholders), DPE of rake is 255. DPE of shred is 230. Even swapping in full 264 gear(since i'm mostly 251) the DPE of rake is 275 vs 264 of shred.

Shred DPE only starts to take over rake once you start nearing the ArP hard, about 1050.

So yes, he over simplified it, but its not false. Depending on your gear, you could leave out rake. However, 4pc T10 is a much bigger upgrade than not having it with similar gear.

You need to look back a little and realize you just made exactly the same point as me and I never said to forgo 4T10 for a rakeless rotation only that in 264 gear without 2T9 or 4T10 shred may very well be better dpe than rake. However mainly posting to correct you that the ArP hard cap is 1400 not 1050 and has been for a while.

#11 grutak

grutak

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

You need to look back a little and realize you just made exactly the same point as me and I never said to forgo 4T10 for a rakeless rotation only that in 264 gear without 2T9 or 4T10 shred may very well be better dpe than rake. However mainly posting to correct you that the ArP hard cap is 1400 not 1050 and has been for a while.

I said nearing the hard cap, meaning as you get closer to 1400, the DPE's cross over. That cross over point is about 1050.

#12 stealthpanda

stealthpanda

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

So I seem to be getting more and more ArP on my gear as I get more gear from ICC.

It generally seems that it is taking the place of Expertise, as far as itemization is concerned. I am a big fan of Expertise (curently at 40, [10%]) and am sad to see it go. Is ArP a decent threat stat for bears? I sort-of understand how it works for Cat, but don't know if there is a threshold for Bear ArP that is useful to know. "This number is where ArP is a good threat stat."

Help?

#13 kalbear

kalbear

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

I wrote a piece on that recently:
ThinkTank: [Druid] The threat value of arpen

But the summary is that armor pen turns out to be a fairly good threat stat, right below hit and expertise (after the dodge cap). There's never a point that it's not better than another threat stat other than hit and expertise, and at high levels it comes close to beating them.

#14 Pumbaa

Pumbaa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:01 AM

Section for Feral DPS and Feral Cat? Combine them.

Also, Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft is a rather bad suggestion, that 1 extra point to furor does nothing to help. Either go with Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (as suggested later in the thread) or put that 4th point from furor to Nurturing Instinct for easier healing. Either way, you lose nothing, but gain a slight amount of damage from Feral Agression or make it a bit easier for your healers to keep you up.

edit: The "best profession" for cats is emphasized a bit too much too, since the difference between most professions is most likely less than the difference of putting that 1 extra point into Feral Agression instead of Furor(which is a bad idea imo) or Nurturing instinct.

2nd edit: Also about the "Feral bear spec". There is, for most cases(unless you are really starving for rage), no need for 2 points in King of the Jungle or even Ferocity, assuming you are playing in a high enough content. Something like Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft would be much better since you could do the Improved Demoralizing Roar yourself. If you are playing lower level content when you are not getting hit for much, swap points from Feral Agression to Ferocity.

#15 GreyKnight666

GreyKnight666

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:52 AM

When gearing fresh to 80. Is it better to aim for 245 badge gear or 232t9 gear? Resto mainly, but the other 3 roles also, information is nice.

#16 Jone

Jone

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:04 AM

When gearing fresh to 80. Is it better to aim for 245 badge gear or 232t9 gear? Resto mainly, but the other 3 roles also, information is nice.

For a feral, get 2T9 for DPS and higher ilvl gear for the rest. For tanking, I'd recommend the highest ilvl gear available, as it's the only way to gain armor and generally the best for stam, which will be more important than cooldown tricks from set bonuses.

#17 Tiffara

Tiffara

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

@Pumbaa - The listed spec happens to be identical to mine, with 4/5 Furor. I chose that (over 3/5 Furor) because there are several times when I will switch to caster form during a fight (mainly for battle rezzes and innervates), and 4/5 will generally get me 20 more energy when I switch back and allow me to more easily get back into my cycle. In theory, you could only go to caster form when very low on energy, immediately get the cast off, then switch back and not go over 60 energy before that (thus, no wasted energy), but I find that's not usually the case for me (I need to move around a bit to reach my target).

A 3% bonus to feral bite is not very useful to me, as I rarely bite (maybe 1-2 in fights where I stay on a single target), and as a feral I generally take much less damage than most other classes, so I would expect the healing bonus to mostly lead to more overhealing rather than anything useful. In the end, though, it's a free point, and people can spend it as they feel is appropriate for their play style. I certainly did. ;)

#18 Vanif

Vanif

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

I have the same question in regards to the 4pT9 resto set. Is the 4p set bonus better than using the 2t9 ilvl232 and the 2 ilvl 245 pieces from the badge vendor?

#19 Pumbaa

Pumbaa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

@Tiffara - That is a valid point, - though not something I would do myself - since the cases where I go out of cat form(to do something other than use Innervate or Rebirth or finisher fastened heal) are rather rare. But it's a difference in playstyle, so I can see the value in that for some people.

I guess it would be a better idea to just suggest Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft and mention that for the last talent point, Furor(to lose less dps if you spend alot of time out of form), Nurturing Instinct(to make it easier on your healers) or Feral Agression(For a bit more damage from FB) are all valid choices.

#20 Dargoth2

Dargoth2

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Did I miss something with bear specs? I thought 2/2 master shapeshifter was still best for threat over imp mangle even with 2 points in kotj. Even with 4pceT10 I would have thought it a tps loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users