• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Playered

Playered

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 4054 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:29 PM

Im sure alot of guilds are having this, and am interested in how it is being managed by others.

As a raiding guild people are becoming less and less active... and its fairly mixed between very old/well geared and newer people without the top end gear.
So it becomes a 'recruit or die' situation which never seems to end... and it feels that the guild is dieing slowly each day as even raiding in itself becomes more difficult each week.

Progress really seems pointless atm due to new people coming and old people going... but even farm raids are sometimes struggling and I dont see it getting better anytime soon....

The worst part is now that TBC is out 1-2 months later than intended that you cant even blag it untill then because if we stop before then, we will most likely collapse.

I don't know anything

#2 Bibdy

Bibdy

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

The hardest part of love is knowing when to let go.

I've fulfilled my 'profound' quota for the day.
There's always free cheese in the mouse traps, but the mice there ain't happy.

#3 Erongg

Erongg

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

We're going through the same thing, and we're just recruiting more. We have enough people that yearn to progress and to see the new encounters that we've kept it together. If you don't have a big enough core of people that really want to raid for the fun and challenge of it, then your guild probably cannot solve the problem via recruitment, and there probably is no solution at all.

#4 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11576 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

Anticipate and fight it out. Good personnel are more valuable than anything else.
Find out what people's motivations are.
Make sure that the first guild to go down isn't yours.

#5 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5560 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:53 PM

we have daily group hugs.

#6 Ignayshus

Ignayshus

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

If you can't recruit enough geared/skilled players to continue progressing, then stop trying. Why not take this time to reevaluate what the guild is about, what your core would like it to be about in TBC, and how you intend to achieve that.

Take this opportunity now to cull the ranks and start recruiting people rather than gear or classes, because the gear really doesn't matter when Bliz pushes the hard reset. This is your chance to correct once untouchable issues within the guild and emerge better then before.

/silver_lining
The last digit of Pi is delicious.

#7 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11576 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

That reminds me, for activities to improve guild cohesion, I highly recommend:

http://www.isketch.net

with the WoW word list and a Vent channel.

#8 Nurru

Nurru

Mike Tyson

• Guild Members
  • 12235 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:18 PM

Aren't there several threads about this sort of thing?

#9 Psonica

Psonica

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:29 AM

Aren't there several threads about this sort of thing?

It's happening all over I guess ... the guild I'm in are facing some of this as well. The core people are still with us but it's sad seeing people who has been with us for almost a year now just fade away.

#10 Blackpatch

Blackpatch

Great Tiger

• Allied Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:31 AM

It don't matter. I'll be all around in the Outlands - I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look - wherever there's a roll, so pubbie people can loot, I'll be there. Wherever there's a mob beatin' up a tank, I'll be there. I'll be in the way priests Fear when they're mad. I'll be in the way orcs laugh when they're bored and they know the pull is ready, and when the people are lootin' the stuff they kill and PvPin' in the gear they loot - I'll be there, too.
CONSERVE YOUR RAGE AND LUST

#11 RK

RK

Such a Cassandra

• Members
  • 1202 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:09 AM

Weirdly, we hit our low point a couple of months ago and suddenly people are flooding back (and not just to us, people who quit the game months ago who were never in our guild are suddenly back and applying). It's as if the certainty of the TBC release date has got people to focus on getting ready for it, and part of being ready is obviously being in a stable guild.

#12 ka

ka

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

You always deal with losing players the same way. Recruitment.

Hardcore raiders are in it for the challenge. If you have everything on farm I can see how you might have a problem, but if not people should still be showing up for the fun of that next first boss kill. If the impending expansion is enough to make them lose interest in the current game then you are better off without them.

#13 rhyd

rhyd

Gentleman of Leisure

•  Patrons
  • 2581 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:40 AM

If you still have a solid core of people still showing up for raids because they want to experience new content, then you might want to look at trying to find another like-minded guild to merge with.

#14 Whorpe

Whorpe

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:55 AM

The pre-tbc depression is damn apparent for sure.

#15 Masq

Masq

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:09 AM

We had a little burnout at first while we just started 4HM, but we just opened vent up a lot (used to be very mechanical). People joke around and have a much better time now, and attendance hasnt been higher in months.

#16 Lucit

Lucit

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

Oddly enough, several people from my first raiding guild (broke up 7+ months ago) have reappeared in the past week or two. Kinda hopeful about our prospects for making an über 25-man raiding guild once we hit level 70.

That being said, it does seem like guilds that don't have a chance at getting KT down pre-expansion are taking it easy until the expansion. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for every guild, especially given how much burnout AQ40 caused. There's less loot drama too, since nobody cares about this level 60 Tier 3 junk anymore. ;)

I see it as a time to kick back, relax, progress a bit... and I'm eagerly awaiting the expansion... or at least a freakin' beta invite!

#17 Icezero

Icezero

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:16 AM

We had a small bit of general bad attendance / slacking on consumables. But when Blizzard announced the Jan 07 release date it made people realize that 2-3 months is a long time not to be raiding.

#18 Skiace

Skiace

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:19 AM

If you still have a solid core of people still showing up for raids because they want to experience new content, then you might want to look at trying to find another like-minded guild to merge with.

this is what i was thinking. hell, you could even make the merge temporary, (or not a full merge but just a raiding merge) then part ways again when the expansion comes out, leaving you with a smaller raiding pool more appropriate to 25 man raids.

#19 DeusEx

DeusEx

Mailbox Dancer

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:31 AM

We experience this somewhat, i.e. we have 40+ signups on BWL farm nights but only about 35-40 on AQ40 and Naxx progression nights. (Which makes me always wonder: what are those people signing up only for farm raids up to. Attending farm nights, when you do not want to paticipate in progression, seems rather pointless, as the farmed items will be devaluated greatly with the release of TBC. What are these people farming for?)

Our guild leader has stopped the attrition by declaring openly, that those that "fade" out now, will certainly be the first to fall prey to the 25 man downsizing later on. Certainly not the nicest way to go about this issue, but undoubtley effective. Those who will stay through pre TBC depression will form a stable core for future TBC content.
I'm not an addict ... maybe that's a lie.

#20 Zagzil

Zagzil

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:54 AM

That reminds me, for activities to improve guild cohesion, I highly recommend:

http://www.isketch.net

with the WoW word list and a Vent channel.

This got us through January-May when our server crashed every single day at raid time.

For current guild cohesion, we just make fun of each other nonstop, and nobody is in beta so we have nothing else to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users