34 replies to this topic

#21 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:00 AM

Thunderclap + Meteor:

From my experience, Emps won't cast Meteor on the number 1 on the threat list. So on the pull, keep your stack of warriors on the tank spot in case MT gets targetted by a meteor as the mob comes in, but once the tank has aggro, the other warriors can scurry off the ranged spot and help rogues on the adds. Makes it much easier on the healers.

I've been nailed by a Meteor as the sole tank on an Anubisath. I originally thought it was because a ranged class pulled aggro (and I just got unlucky with the Meteor), but it turns out that they can and will drop a Meteor on your tanks head. Basically, it's a 1 in 40 chance, but considering that these mobs are immune to Taunt, I'd say it's a bad idea relying on sheer luck (as we've been burned quite a few times because of that.. :( ).

#22 Vazu

Vazu

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 08:10 AM

The only combo worth mentioning which can be a challenge sometimes is Meteor/Thunderclap.

What we do:

Have your MT + a group of 5ish melee go in. Each of the 5 melee who go in get a dedicated healer. Everyone else in the raid stands together. We rarely get deaths this way, unless it's from stupid spawns raping healers.

Edit: Oh, and on Thunderclap/Meteor, have the remaining melee (Warriors) who don't go in, just tank the adds which spawn. This allows Warlocks to focus on the Anubisath. I mean, we fear them too. We're just more focused on ranged DPS when we have a limited group of melee in there.

#23 spiderella

spiderella

My internal monologue has Tourette's Syndrome

• Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

Definately set up for meteor / thunderclap, this is the one combo you can't repositioin the raid to dynamically. Use a priest to mind vision the pull, get a few seconds of warning on what the abilities are and tell the raid where they're supposed to move i.e. shadowstorm - stack up on the tanks! Just one of those things lol . . . no matter how many times we do these there's always that one pull i'm not paying attention, a raid warning or something said over vent usually snaps me out of it.

Our melee wear 100ish NR i think, just the pieces that give a little edge against TC and prevent a lot of quick damage - when people die on this trash, if it's not unhealed plague damage it's usually meteor + hit by adds + hit by something else (or just plain not topped off). Some rogues choose not to stay in during thunderclap, some do, I think it's based on whether they can get ooc to swap gear.

We use priests + warlocks to fear adds, have a rotation - we used to deliberately set the rotation and call fears on TeamSpeak but after a little experience we just let the micro-management on that take care of itself. We have one warrior assigned with the range group to taunt an add that doesn't get feared properly as well as add an additional fear.

/rw *** Explosion *** also works wonders on enraging defenders :P

#24 Oggie

Oggie

Disharmonious

•  Patrons
  • 4,449 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:40 PM

Well, I think most of the above posters are spot on and give solid advice. I would like to point out that this is an amazing place for chain heal (rank 2 or 3, depending on shaman's gear) to really, really shine. With tightly grouped people taking unpredictable burst damage spikes there's really nothing better than just sitting there and spamming the melee on TC/meteor. Extremely hard for anyone to die with 5-6 shaman doing this, as long as the shaman are kept up (they will draw trash aggro like -nothing- else), freeing up most of the other healers to top off people who look low and dps just to burn burn burn.

Just my 2c.

It makes me want to hit Marge Thatcher on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

#25 Cth

Cth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 07:42 PM

http://wow.ingame.de...aq/defender.jpg (german text but not hard to figure out)

#26 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:11 PM

http://wow.ingame.de/guides/aq/defender.jpg (german text but not hard to figure out)

But... it... has a diagram for how to handle Meteor + Plague... :unsure:

#27 Bubba

Bubba

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

Haha, Meteor Plague would be awesome

#28 subscience

subscience

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

Germans are just that hardcore.

#29 Cth

Cth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

http://wow.ingame.de/guides/aq/defender.jpg (german text but not hard to figure out)

But... it... has a diagram for how to handle Meteor + Plague... :unsure:

guess there wasnt enough space left to add more distance

#30 Thelyna

Thelyna

I park my feet under my desk.

•  Patrons
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

Our current strat for twin emps: ranged/healers in one group about 25-30 yards from the tank, melee dps on the tank. Everyone in the melee group should be 150-200 NR. If it's shadowstorm, ranged/healers move to 10 yards from the tanks, if it's shadow/meteor everyone clusters in one group (shadow/meteor/explode = the quick and the dead - we've had one slightly embarrassing situation where all of our rezzers got nailed by that). shadow/plague, remain two distinct groups, if you get plague run away from the group and away from other plagued people but inside the shadowstorm radius. tc/plague, run away from the group if you get plagued, hope and pray your healers are in spam mode. tc/meteor is about the same, minus the headless chicken impressions. Adds (no matter which type) are dealt with using a psychic scream rotation, with warrior int shout and warlock howl of terror for emergencies.

The other day I accidentally a fire ball 10 feet high.

#31 Tharos

Tharos

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

I guess we use a totall different strategy then already pointed out here.

We have 2 tanks wearing full fire resistance. They dont hit that hard in melee so using that old FR set isnt that bad. Our big problem always was thunderclap meteor. When we see that combo we have the two tanks move in. 1 tanking, 1 using nightfall, they just eat the meteors, we heal them trough the thunderclap. Adds get tanked and ganked by the melee, ranged kills the annubisath.

For plague we always group the raid up and people that get the plague move out of the group.

We dont use any nature resistance and thus dont use melee dmg on anything with thunderclap. We never have trouble with this trash anymore since we switched to this strategy.
Tharos | There are no stupid questions, just stupid people

#32 Cesar2000

Cesar2000

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:23 AM

I guess we use a totall different strategy then already pointed out here.

We have 2 tanks wearing full fire resistance. They dont hit that hard in melee so using that old FR set isnt that bad. Our big problem always was thunderclap meteor. When we see that combo we have the two tanks move in. 1 tanking, 1 using nightfall, they just eat the meteors, we heal them trough the thunderclap. Adds get tanked and ganked by the melee, ranged kills the annubisath.

For plague we always group the raid up and people that get the plague move out of the group.

We dont use any nature resistance and thus dont use melee dmg on anything with thunderclap. We never have trouble with this trash anymore since we switched to this strategy.

That does sound a lot simpler. How much will Meteors hit for?

#33 Evert

Evert

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:22 PM

hmm, interesting. We just have 2 group. ranged and melee. Melee weares nature resistance. the ranged group moves to mlee range if its metor and or shadowbolt. fear the adds, repeat.

this trash isnt hard really. its just an AFK check built into an encounter.
\"Listen, I\'m trying to have a serious conversation about ferret bras and you are not listening\"

#34 Lank

Lank

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:51 PM

Initial Setup: 5-6 Melee at the front
1 MT, 1 OT, +3-4 others, preferably warriors in def stance then rogues (1-2 warriors in the back group is a good idea too). All in NR gear.
Main tank might want to wear only epic NR pieces (or none at all) as most of the damage will still be physical regardless the powers.

Meteor/TC
- Fear adds (both types)
- Heal the front group!!!
- If front group people die, more people will need to move to the front to eat Meteor (extra rogues/war/hunters or Brafish are good options)

Meteor/Shadowstorm
- Everyone moves in
- Fear adds (both types)
- PoH groups

Plague/TC
- Spread way out (/dance on a healer if you have plague)
- MT and OT stay in and take TC, Move on opposite sides to avoid doubling up on plague damage.
- Fear or Tank Defenders (rogues can stay in TC with good NR for DPS, all other warriors should help keep the adds off healers)
- Tank + Kill Swarmgaurds (rogues stay out TC and help with adds)
- Try to find the "spawn point" for the adds.
- Mages try and Frost nova them near the spawn point so tanks can pick them up.

Plauge/Shadowstorm
- Move in quick and spread out
- Kill Swarmgaurds, tank/fear Defenders.

Edit: copied from my guild forums, written by me :)
Btw, you guys should go kill Razuvious, easy boss with very nice loots. (If you haven't already)
GL Wicked Legacy ehe.

#35 livenletdie

livenletdie

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

Yeah about naxx.... my guild made a vote (before I came onboard) that naxx would not be started until all of aq40 is done. But thats a whole diff discussion.

Thank you guys very much for the tips. I think after 1-2 nights of getting wtfbbqpwnd we'll finally get the point that things need to change. However our motto is if it's broke whine and bitch about it until.... well nothing really gets fixed but boy the whining sure is fun.

Once again I cannot express how much I appreciate you guys sharing the tips, alot of guild hold their strats dear (even for old content).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users