• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 Setia

Setia

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

One thing I've noticed, regarding Unchained Magic, is that if you cast two spells at the exact same time, you'll get only one stack of the debuff. This can be exploited by alternating cast-time spells (which cast at the end) with instants or channeled spells (which cast at the beginning). Thus, as a mage, if I get the debuff (and cannot Ice Block it), I go into an ABAM rotation to maximise DPS time.

#22 ShowXdown

ShowXdown

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

The strat with Healers behind Block still healing tanks sounds interesting. Someone got a video for the Iceblock Position?

#23 Tinwhisker

Tinwhisker

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

The strat with Healers behind Block still healing tanks sounds interesting. Someone got a video for the Iceblock Position?

What you basically want to do is something like this:

Posted Image

We didn't do this in either kill but it does work for ever other ice block.

#24 Uzziel

Uzziel

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:30 PM

A shadowpriest that is running glyph of dispersion can basically ignore Unchained Magic completely. Let it stack as high as you want and before letting the stacked debuff expire, pop dispersion. I let my Instability debuff stack to 30+ multiple times during the course of our pulls in 25man.

It takes a bit of timing, but any shadow priest can trivialize the feedback from casting spells.

#25 PsiVen

PsiVen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:00 PM

Our casters told us that the ice blocks in P3 don't actually block their LoS at all, only the Mystic Buffet. I'm not sure if that's true, but they were saying they could still heal fine and shoot the boss from behind one.

The problem with healing of course is still that they have to move, and that depending on your positioning they can probably only be in range of the tank while resetting for half of the tombs.

My main advice to anyone looking for help on 25-man is to use 3 tanks, even though 2 of them are useless until P3. The survivability we gained from rotating 3 tanks rapidly and having all those cooldowns available was massive.

#26 Rhaegal

Rhaegal

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Are people leaving the tanks in to take Blistering Cold, in order to keep Sindragosa stationary for the fight? I recognize that in terms of actual damage done, it's on par with a single Frost Breath, but the difference is that for Frost Breaths, healers are already standing still and have heals prepped, whereas after Blistering Cold, the healers will still be running back into position for a few seconds. Last night we were having our tank running out for them to eliminate any risk dying to subsequent melee damage, which was working fine for phase 1, but Sindragosa moving around every time was making proper Ice Tomb positioning very difficult.
Stand back! I'm going to try SCIENCE!

#27 Mericet

Mericet

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

We've been allowing the tanks to take the Blistering Cold hit. It's really not that bad, and like you say, keeping her as stationary as possible does have value. That said, after the majority of blistering cold casts she decides to walk forward 5-10 yards for whatever reason and step on the tank's face. Normally it isn't too bad, I just back up a bit and keep going, but there were times when she moved enough to stand on top of me and ended up spinning around trying to target me. I've tried standing farther into her hit box to begin with as well as farther away from her, but so far nothing has consistently stopped her from doing it. There have definitely been times where she hasn't repositioned, which indicates either there is (hopefully) some magic correct distance where she won't do it, or possibly it's just random. I just haven't been able to repeat the event with any consistency.

#28 Valerian

Valerian

King Hippo

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

The 2 dragons became bugged for us also. We had severe server lag caused by a group of German players from the Bluddurst server who were spamming all channels. This meant that our attempts were interrupted and we decided to go on the other remaining bosses that did not have the shared attempts.

On returning, the 2 dragons were flying in the air but would not land. As it was late in the night, we decided to attempt to dps them. We switched most people to ranged dps and we slowly but surely managed to dps them down, taking off 7% of their health each time that they past.

So if this bug occurs, there's an alternative to dps them down within a few minutes to get Sindragosa to repop.

Something to add to this. On our first clear we killed the 2 handler packs, one dragon then explained the fight in detail before killing the second dragon.

On respawns we managed to kill the first dragon using the slow whittle him down method (since we killed the handlers too soon) and Sindragosa spawned IMMEDIATELY (since the second dragon hadn't respawned). During the next few attempts the second dragon DID respawn but Sindragosa stayed spawned as well. The second dragon did not add when we continued to pull Sindragosa though.

Basically its just if you happen to kill one dragon with the other one not spawned yet, be ready for Sindragosa to spawn and agro immediately.

#29 varrenne

varrenne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Is it posible to los Unchained Magic debuff? I mean Sindragosa casts it every 30 sec or so and if i stand behined the ice, i still can get Unchained Magic?

#30 Kuku

Kuku

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

We've been allowing the tanks to take the Blistering Cold hit. It's really not that bad, and like you say, keeping her as stationary as possible does have value. That said, after the majority of blistering cold casts she decides to walk forward 5-10 yards for whatever reason and step on the tank's face. Normally it isn't too bad, I just back up a bit and keep going, but there were times when she moved enough to stand on top of me and ended up spinning around trying to target me. I've tried standing farther into her hit box to begin with as well as farther away from her, but so far nothing has consistently stopped her from doing it. There have definitely been times where she hasn't repositioned, which indicates either there is (hopefully) some magic correct distance where she won't do it, or possibly it's just random. I just haven't been able to repeat the event with any consistency.

Preventing this behavior is as simple as stepping forward a bit during the cast and then alternating your forward and backward keys (as in running forward and backwards repeatedly). This has had a 100% success rate for me. Keep doing this for about a second after the cast has finished.

#31 Guest_Amonra_*

Guest_Amonra_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Some other mechanic tidbits that we've noticed in the 10man:
- The caster debuff seems to ALWAYS hit 1 healer and 1 DPS. Originally we went with 3 melee, 1 hunter, 1 warlock, and 3 healers (I'm the warlock). I got hit by the caster debuff every single time, without a doubt. The healer debuff *seemed* random in terms of which of the 3 healers got it. However, every single time the debuff went out, I would get it along with 1 healer. When we brought in a shadow priest in exchange for one of the melee, the shadow priest and I alternated having it.

I can confirm this. When we did it on Saturday with 2 healers and 1 caster dps (shadowpriest), the shadowpriest got the debuff every time.

When we did it on Monday, the shadowpriest had respecced to disc (i.e. 3 healers and no caster dps) and only one person got hit by unchained magic at a time.

#32 arison

arison

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

I just checked the 21 full 6-victim Unchained Magics from our 25 attempts and kill this week and can confirm -- every single time, three healers, three dps. Out of 6 healer and 7 eligible DPS, 3 healers and 3 dps were chosen every time. There are 1716 ways to pick 6 people from 13 people; exactly 700 of those are 3 healers and 3dps, or roughly 41%. Twenty one independent choices mean the chance of this is 6.64042516 × 10-9, which is pretty much zero.

#33 Anatta

Anatta

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

The encounter has been (slightly) nerfed:

Sindragosa's Mystic Buffet will now pulse every 6 six seconds, up from 5 seconds. In the normal 10 player encounter the debuff increase has also been slightly reduced.

Source

#34 Stopokingme

Stopokingme

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

A note unrelated to the encounter, but to reaching it.

After failing to heal Valithria one night, when we came back the next day we noticed the elevator to Sindragosa was active. We could go down to the room with the packs of whelps and handlers and the two Frost Wyrms. We didn't actually try to see if we could pull Sindragosa, but I reckon you can.

Unsure as to what triggers it, but figure it's a soft reset after clearing the trash before Valithria which gives a Frost Emblem.
Enchantment?

#35 gcbirzan

gcbirzan

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

The spider room before Sindragosa activates the teleporter.

#36 Rhaegal

Rhaegal

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

The spider room before Sindragosa activates the teleporter.

He's not referring to the teleporter. Sindragosa's room has three exits: one from the spider room you came in through, one is the teleporter to the left as you come into her room, and finally an elevator in the position to the right that mirrors where the teleporter is. The elevator leads to the initially-closed gate you see in the room with the Val'kyr mini-boss before Valithria. Instead of hanging a right into Valithria's room, you can go straight to the elevator that takes you directly to Sindragosa. It sounds like after the soft reset after killing the Val'kyr, the gate was opened despite Valithria still being alive. Definitely a bug, but a potentially useful one if it's repeatable.
Stand back! I'm going to try SCIENCE!

#37 Tojara

Tojara

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

There's a problem with using that elevator without clearing the spider room though. While you can essentially skip the spider room by doing this, you won't be able to teleport directly to Sindragosas room after a wipe. You can use the teleporter down there to teleport anywhere in the instance, but you won't have the option to teleport there without clearing that trash first.

When we killed DW last week we just called the raid and came back the next day. Like mentioned the elevator directly at the end of Frostwing Halls was working so I took it down. Teleporter was active, but it's only a one way trip.

If you did a soft reset after DW I would still suggest clearing the spider room unless you're confident that you can one shot Sindragosa. The time spent running back and waiting for the elevator can add up.

#38 Guest_Abbichum_*

Guest_Abbichum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

Did anyone else notice Sindragosas Frost Breath ability being a binary resist spell?

I've only even seen the Frost Breath either fully resist or doing full damage which doesnt fit particularly well with the mechanics uncovered in http://elitistjerks....echanics_wotlk/

Unfortunately I dont have any combatlog to check, so purely anecdotal for now (I was watching specifically for the frost breath every time it cast so I am rather sure I didnt see any partial resists). The aura was behaving the way I would expect, showing resisted amounts every pulse.

I tried tanking her with both my normal tanking gear and with the crafted frost resistance gear(- the ring)

If its really a binary resists, this lessens the value of using resistance gear, unless you can actually get to a point where you can reliably resist every breath - essentially making it a one-tank encounter.

#39 MatsT

MatsT

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

Did anyone else notice Sindragosas Frost Breath ability being a binary resist spell?

I've only even seen the Frost Breath either fully resist or doing full damage which doesnt fit particularly well with the mechanics uncovered in http://elitistjerks....echanics_wotlk/

Unfortunately I dont have any combatlog to check, so purely anecdotal for now (I was watching specifically for the frost breath every time it cast so I am rather sure I didnt see any partial resists). The aura was behaving the way I would expect, showing resisted amounts every pulse.

I tried tanking her with both my normal tanking gear and with the crafted frost resistance gear(- the ring)

If its really a binary resists, this lessens the value of using resistance gear, unless you can actually get to a point where you can reliably resist every breath - essentially making it a one-tank encounter.

You are wrong. Check ANY Sindragosa log and you will find partial resists.

#40 Guest_alberico_*

Guest_alberico_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

We don't treat this fight like a race in p3. In our 25 man, we put all melee on the frost tombs 100% of the time. Healers and our 3 tanks are in their own channel to co-ordinate so that the tank survives for every frost breath. They reset their stacks whenever they decide it's time to. Ranged are assigned to dps only the boss, they do not help melee on frost tombs so that they aren't killed too fast. Ranged only need to step behind to reset their stacks every 2nd frost tomb, once they're reset they step out and resume on the boss.

This gives everyone a clear single job to focus on and ensures steady damage on the boss. As a raid leader I just have to remind everyone to re-clump in a central spot so that tomb targets have a clear area to go to.

Our sever has gotten the sindragosa raid weekly quest twice in a row for 25. We've missed it both weeks as we were more concerned with just killing her for the first time and then getting our shadowmourne quest done, but the way to do this is to have all dps channel when she's at <1 million health. She should get up to the 75 stacks required pretty quickly, then you finish her off, having 1 person maintain the channel so the buff doesn't fall off. It's easy when everyone does it for a few seconds rather than a couple people doing it all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users