Photo

The Naxx progressed "PuG" and Guild allegiance discussion...

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Quigon

Quigon

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:29 AM

I'd like to see that essay Pro, I have been trying to explain to people how excatly i can have obligations to a video game, and some new vocabulary added to my argument would be handy

I'll PM it to you if/when I finish it. :)

Make sure to use the word "strategery" in your essay.

#62 Zakath

Zakath

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:11 PM

The "TelePUG" concept is a great for minimzing burnout syndroms, that almost everyone fally prey to sooner or later. Most people get bored on their mains, and who is to blame them for securing their fun by taking an alt to such a group. I would guess a happy player that is spending part of their time in alternate group is worth more to their "main guild", then is a burnt out player who will eventually quit the guild or even the game as whole. Who didn't wish to change class from time to time or simply group up with other good players on your server, you can't usally raid with because they are in another guild?

If someone enjoys the PUG runs so much more than raiding with his original guild, then, let's face it, it's a problem of the original guild in the first place. This guild has to ask itself some serious questions, how they treat their members. From my experience many mid-tier raiding guilds fail eventually because guild leadership develops some "delusions of power" so to speak. Many guilds chartas and policies are rife with articifical rules and restrictions forced upon their members that have no real rationale, but to sooth the illusion of power for the respective guild leadership: forced specs, awkward alt and reroll policies, loot councils, attendance requirements even for out-progressed content and the worst of all, fuzzy statements of "allegiance" and "loyality". As long as you participate in progression content with your guild, it shouldn't really be anyones business what you do during the rest of your gaming time. If guild leadership tries to coerce it's members to refrain from such an activity, they are simply abusing their members for the sake of their illusional power gain.

Perhaps it is not only "illusion of power" but the "WoW is serious business" fallacy. If people are having fun, that can't be good for progression right? Because if they would be really "committed" they wouldn't have fun, but would suffer through it for the "good of the guild".

Now that is a very interesting post. It pretty much resumes the situation. I have also been part of the Telepug on a regular basis and I'm having a great time raiding on a different toon than my main. I'm even more happy to play on my warrior after because I get some variety. I like playing my warrior and my rogue just as much and this "pug" gives me an opportunity to do something I wouldn't be able to do in my guild alone. I even enjoy the whole social aspect of raiding with people coming from many guilds and I like how those runs help developping the community on the server (something I haven't experienced since the BRD/Strat/UBRS days).

In my opinion, if the players who attend those pugs are still attending their guild's events and performing to the level they have always done, then the "pug" doesn't hurt the guilds in any ways. Heck, the schedule isn't even conflicting with the main guilds's. But, the issue is kinda moot now, since the pug leader was asked to leave his main's guild "for intern reasons".

#63 LuckyAC

LuckyAC

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:32 AM

They have actually formed a separate guild now, don't know how many people left their old guilds to join it, though.

#64 Judia

Judia

Banned

• Banned
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

I point you to my first post in this thread...
To err is human

#65 Zakath

Zakath

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:26 AM

And I point to DeusEx post, 2nd paragraph, 1st line ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users