• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 LuckyAC

LuckyAC

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

Speaking of crit rating, I noticed something amusing the other day - whatever automated process Blizzard used to convert legacy items to the ratings system, it did all the calculations based on the level 60 numbers, even for lowbie gear. So a pair of Shadowskin Gloves, if equipped at the minimum level, will give nearly double the benefit that they currently do. Not a huge issue, as there simply aren't that many low-level items with crit, but those few that do exist become immensely more powerful for their level.

What about http://thottbot.com/beta?i=6290? That's 4.33% crit for a green :) It definitely skews values of rated items below level 60, however scarce they are.

#22 TheOnly

TheOnly

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:54 AM

That's simply because 1% dodge is not worth as much as 1% parry, but a 1 rating is always worth 1 rating.

But that can't be true, since each thing's worth varies by class, spec, and your other gear.

For example, as a warlock destruction specc'd, %spell crit is more valuable than %spell hit for nuke dps, but less for dots and life tap. But an affliction spec lock %spell crit is always worth less than %spell hit.

1 rating of one type is not = 1 rating of another type.

#23 Zurai

Zurai

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:17 AM

That's simply because 1% dodge is not worth as much as 1% parry, but a 1 rating is always worth 1 rating.

But that can't be true, since each thing's worth varies by class, spec, and your other gear.

For example, as a warlock destruction specc'd, %spell crit is more valuable than %spell hit for nuke dps, but less for dots and life tap. But an affliction spec lock %spell crit is always worth less than %spell hit.

Not to mention that, for a druid tank, + parry/block are utterly worthless, +defense is marginal, and +dodge is what they really want for mitigation.

There's plenty of similar situations. A blanket statement of "1%x is always greater than 1%y" is sheer folly. As mentioned above, the ratings seem to be chosen to correspond to already-existing itemization values.

#24 Furion

Furion

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

But those item values on the other hand are based on the actual ingame value of the stat(at least that would make sense).

These values are just the rule, of course there are exceptions as already mentioned.
Quite frankly I like this insight into blizzards way of itemization.

So 1 rating really is always "worth" 1 rating but only in terms of itemization value.

#25 LuckyAC

LuckyAC

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 09:44 AM

You are searching way too hard for examples. A simple one would have been that 1 intellect is not as valuable as 1 agility for a rogue.

No one is disputing this, the point is that is that while "value" may vary, cost never does. Previously, 1% dodge COST more than 1% on an item, no matter how valuable it was to any person in particular.

Imagine you are at 7 11 and see a bag of Skittles for 50c and a Snickers bar for $1. You hate nougat, so you value the Skittles more, but that doesn't change the fact that the Snickers bar costs more for everybody.

#26 Boevis

Boevis

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

Blizzard really doesn't care what you believe a stat to be worth. Remember when MC first came out and most guilds were wiping in UBRS with 20 people, everyone though Spi was completely useless and Int was the only worthwhile stat for casters (kinda was, due to the way FSR worked back then) now I'd be more than happy to trade almost all my Int for more Spi/Mp5.

Chicken, where did you get those numbers? http://www.wow.lv/co....php?article.44 Is the only source I have for the formulae, and it disagrees with the numbers you have multiple places.

#27 Chicken

Chicken

 

• Moderators
  • 3,639 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:36 PM

Blizzard really doesn't care what you believe a stat to be worth. Remember when MC first came out and most guilds were wiping in UBRS with 20 people, everyone though Spi was completely useless and Int was the only worthwhile stat for casters (kinda was, due to the way FSR worked back then) now I'd be more than happy to trade almost all my Int for more Spi/Mp5.

Chicken, where did you get those numbers? http://www.wow.lv/co....php?article.44 Is the only source I have for the formulae, and it disagrees with the numbers you have multiple places.

Mine were from WoWWiki, not the best source of information I know. This page: http://www.wowwiki.c...las:Item_Values

They do mention these were shown by Blizzard at BlizCon however :)

#28 Maestroquark

Maestroquark

What Would You Have Me Do?

• Members
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

They do mention these were shown by Blizzard at BlizCon however :)

Remember that the only ones Blizzard mentioned were crit (14) and dodge (12). The rest were derived from comparing Hyzenthlei's results to what Blizzard stated.
EJBSG 32 - Apollo
EJBSG 27 - Cally; EJBSG 22 - DeeBaltar; EJBSG 20 - Tory; EJBSG 19 - Leoben; EJBSG 14 - Helo; EJBSG 12 - Starbuck

#29 Whitetooth

Whitetooth

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info5819-Rating_Buster.html

Author of this mod reverse engineered formula based on about 20 samples for each value, and his formula is correct to 13th decimal place

Whoa, Whitetooth still plays? I haven't seen him around in FOREVER.

Very useful addon though. That'll come in very handy.

Hi, Chiqu
yeah I'm still around, just most of my time in wow has been on TBC servers coding addons :D
Hotdogee@Ner'zhul US <Bahamut>
Author of RatingBuster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users